Sci-Fi mod from the tools ?

JiPiJiPi Posts: 146
edited June 2009 in General Modding
Since the first day I saw posts talking of mod tools, I am asking myself if this would be possible to have a mod that would be almost like a full featured game, in a sci-fi environement and a full sci-fi story. Considering it would be an action-RPG too...think of a fast paced Stargate like mod with Stargates to teleport to different levels (planets or different environnements)...etc...


Would it be possible or would be out of the range of mod tools ?

Comments

  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    From what they've revealed it looks like as long as you can create the necessary tilesets/models you can make anything.
  • JiPiJiPi Posts: 146
    Omnifas wrote:
    From what they've revealed it looks like as long as you can create the necessary tilesets/models you can make anything.


    Yeah, that what I understood too...as long as it is an action-RPG, it should fit...but I just want to make sure before I start to learn to texturize and animate ! ;)
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    edited June 2009
    JiPi wrote:
    Omnifas wrote:
    From what they've revealed it looks like as long as you can create the necessary tilesets/models you can make anything.


    Yeah, that what I understood too...as long as it is an action-RPG, it should fit...but I just want to make sure before I start to learn to texturize and animate ! ;)

    learn anyway
    TorchLight will be a great place to start and get some good practice even if you aren't able to do exactly what you want
    TorchLight will give you decent tools; you'll have a good modding support community from other players / modders; and we all know how helpful the devs and artists have been so far in answering TipToe's questions in the other forum; so I'm sure we'll continue to get the same support from them in the future

    so for anyone interested in learning to mod, I can't think of a better place to start
    I don't have a sig
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    the mod tools have not yet to be release and we have all these fans coming up with ideas already! that's just awesome.
  • GbrownGbrown Posts: 423 ✭✭✭✭
    JiPi wrote:
    Since the first day I saw posts talking of mod tools, I am asking myself if this would be possible to have a mod that would be almost like a full featured game, in a sci-fi environement and a full sci-fi story. Considering it would be an action-RPG too...think of a fast paced Stargate like mod with Stargates to teleport to different levels (planets or different environnements)...etc...


    Would it be possible or would be out of the range of mod tools ?

    This should be totally possible. The biggest hurdle would be creating all the art assets needed to completely re-face the game.
  • Just put glowy blue edges on all the armor sets, re-skin the pistols, turn the trails in to lasers.... Done!
  • JiPiJiPi Posts: 146
    Volbard wrote:
    Just put glowy blue edges on all the armor sets, re-skin the pistols, turn the trails in to lasers.... Done!


    Can't wait to see this ! In fact...I am starting to ask myself if I should mod or start from scratch (with open source products probably...)...if I start from scratch, what would be the steps from now to shipping a game (free, open source or whatever) ? A quick howto to ship a game !
  • TiptoeTiptoe Posts: 184
    JiPi I love your enthusiasm. Game making is heaps of fun, but it's very hard work. If you're just starting out, then I think the best thing you can do to get your feet wet, is try modding an existing game.

    If you're interested in creating 3D models and animations (and you don't have a spare $4000 to buy 3DS Max) then I highly recommend Blender:http://www.blender.org/

    It's completely free and there are hundreds and hundreds of guides and tutorials for it. The is also an Ogre exporter for it, so you'll have no trouble getting your models into Torchlight.

    For texture making, the ideal tool is Photoshop, but again, if you can't afford it, then the free Gimp is your best choice: http://www.gimp.org/

    As for starting from scratch, if you're really, really keen, then check out Microsoft's free XNA Game Studio: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/xna/default.aspx

    Hope this helps you get started :mrgreen:.
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    GIMP also has a plug in for dds
    http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/

    I read your post and the dev replies on the other forum but had no idea what you were talking about :lol:

    but I do remember that a dds exporter was important
    I don't have a sig
  • TrappskiTrappski Posts: 214
    Tiptoe wrote:
    JiPi I love your enthusiasm. Game making is heaps of fun, but it's very hard work. If you're just starting out, then I think the best thing you can do to get your feet wet, is try modding an existing game.

    If you're interested in creating 3D models and animations (and you don't have a spare $4000 to buy 3DS Max) then I highly recommend Blender:http://www.blender.org/

    It's completely free and there are hundreds and hundreds of guides and tutorials for it. The is also an Ogre exporter for it, so you'll have no trouble getting your models into Torchlight.

    For texture making, the ideal tool is Photoshop, but again, if you can't afford it, then the free Gimp is your best choice: http://www.gimp.org/

    Hope this helps you get started :mrgreen:.
    Great recommendations there...
    Interfacewise as far as i have heard Blender has a very different one compared to 3DS Max and others... I have only played around a wee bit in Blender and nothing in any other app so i don't really know.

    If you have used Photoshop some GIMPshop can be an alternative to "pure" GIMP. It's a hack of GIMP supposed to replicate the photoshop-feel making it a more natural transition for Photoshop users to GIMP.
    http://www.gimpshop.com/

    Don't know how GIMPshop keeps up with ordinary GIMP versions though-
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue!
    Proud member of the Runic Games Fansite Staff!
    trappski.png
  • TiptoeTiptoe Posts: 184
    jamesL wrote:
    GIMP also has a plug in for dds
    http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/

    I read your post and the dev replies on the other forum but had no idea what you were talking about :lol:

    but I do remember that a dds exporter was important

    You are absolutely correct! If you're using Photoshop the .dds plugin can be downloaded from here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

    But I strongly urge everybody to download the .dds thumbnail viewer as well: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_thumbnail_viewer.html

    This will allow you to see the .dds images on your computer, just as you would any other image. Don't worry if you don't have an nVidia graphics card, it works with all cards. Trust me, this is a must have plugin if you want to work with .dds images.

    If you don't have this plugin, then you'll have to open every individual .dds image in Photoshop or the Gimp just to see what they are. Believe me, you dun wanna do dat! :mrgreen:
  • TrappskiTrappski Posts: 214
    If you have Irfanview installed you can use it to look at your .dds files as well.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue!
    Proud member of the Runic Games Fansite Staff!
    trappski.png
  • JiPiJiPi Posts: 146
    Tiptoe wrote:
    JiPi I love your enthusiasm. Game making is heaps of fun, but it's very hard work. If you're just starting out, then I think the best thing you can do to get your feet wet, is try modding an existing game.

    If you're interested in creating 3D models and animations (and you don't have a spare $4000 to buy 3DS Max) then I highly recommend Blender:http://www.blender.org/

    It's completely free and there are hundreds and hundreds of guides and tutorials for it. The is also an Ogre exporter for it, so you'll have no trouble getting your models into Torchlight.

    For texture making, the ideal tool is Photoshop, but again, if you can't afford it, then the free Gimp is your best choice: http://www.gimp.org/

    As for starting from scratch, if you're really, really keen, then check out Microsoft's free XNA Game Studio: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/xna/default.aspx

    Hope this helps you get started :mrgreen:.


    Thanks for the hints ! I already downloaded MS Game Studio...I'll check that in the next few weeks !

    I heard of Blender before...isn't it a software who used to be commercial but was 'sold' to the community for like 100k$ or something like this ?

    Thanks for all the infos ! :)
  • TrappskiTrappski Posts: 214
    JiPi wrote:
    I heard of Blender before...isn't it a software who used to be commercial but was 'sold' to the community for like 100k$ or something like this ?
    Yepp...
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue!
    Proud member of the Runic Games Fansite Staff!
    trappski.png
Sign In or Register to comment.