Ferret Pet (by Runic), version 1.2 Jan 14

DideroDidero Posts: 90
edited March 2015 in Mod Showcase
IMPORTANT NOTE
Making the ferret selectable in the character creation screen only works in version 1.14 and up (currently only on Steam). There is no way to make this work for versions below 1.14. A patch should be released soon-ish for the other versions of the game that fixes this (among other things).
For versions below 1.14 (so any version that is not bought from Steam), if you delete the 'UI' folder from my mod, the ferret should still be in the game, but the only way to get it is through a transformation fish. But at least it won't mess up the character creation screen.

This mod adds the ferret pet to the game, both as a permanent transformation fish and as a pet selection when making a new character.
Runic made the pet and included it in the TorchED files. All I did was copy the files and make a fish to turn your pet into the ferret.

Since the files are distributed along with TorchED, I didn't see any harm in uploading this, for people who don't have the editor. If people from Runic disagree, feel free to remove this topic. I won't get mad ;)
Still, the ferret is too cool to hide away. :)

While the Catfish and Dogfish are only sold from the general items vendor from level 15 onwards, the Ferretfish is available from level 1.

If you have the Merchant Pack mod installed, the Ferretfish will be sold by Arthur the Fishmonger, near the town's fishing hole.

Install the usual way: Place the mod in "%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\mods". Then run the included 'remove_binary.bat', so the game recompiles the mods.

This mod is not compatible with mods that change the character selection screen, which are new pet mods and most custom class mods.
If you still want the ferret in the character selection screen when you have conflicting mods installed, edit the 'charactercreate.layout' file in the 'UI' folder of the conflicting mod, and add the following text below the similar 'Cat' and 'Dog' parts, around line 165:
<Window Type="GuiLook/StandardButton" Name="Ferret">
            <Property Name="UnifiedPosition" Value="{{0,-5},{0,105}}" />
            <Property Name="UnifiedSize" Value="{{0,152},{0,28}}" />
            <Property Name="Text" Value="Ferret"/>
		<Property Name="onClick" Value="guiPet1"/>
    </Window>
Then delete the 'UI' folder of the ferret mod, to remove the conflict.

Once again, I did very little on this mod, all the credit goes to Runic Games for creating the (pretty cool) ferret pet.

CHANGELOG
Version 1.0:
-Initial release

Version 1.1:
-Added soundfiles for the ferret

Version 1.1.1 (January 5 2010):
-Added compatibility notice to the Readme
-Added a batch file (remove_binary.bat) to easily make the game recognise mod changes (do not move this file, it won't work then)
-Added the sound definition file for the ferret. Sounds were working without it, but maybe it cycles through all variations now.

Version 1.2 (January 14 2010)
-Made sure the Ferretfish is always sold by the General Items vendor, instead of only randomly.

Download from Runic Games Fansite (v 1.2) or Torchlight Insider (v 1.2).
Creator of:
-Total Respec mod (v2.0, Jan. 10 2010)
-Faster Walking mod (v1.0, Nov. 11 2009)
Uploader of:
-Ferret Pet mod (ferret itself made by Runic) (v1.1.1, Jan. 4 2010)

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to thank you for adding this mod \o/
    ItfooQF.png
  • DideroDidero Posts: 90
    Zidders wrote:
    Let me be the first to thank you for adding this mod \o/
    You're welcome :)

Sorry to update this quickly, but I discovered I forgot to include his soundfiles :oops:
    So if you've downloaded this already (if you did, wow you're quick! :P), please download version 1.1.
    Creator of:
    Uploader of:
  • JonalethJonaleth Posts: 80
    edited January 2010
    Oh? I figured people would've done this sooner :) No matter, moar fishiez are always welcome!

Thanks Didero for uploading this and Runic for creating (this and TorchLight itself :P)
  • zebramattzebramatt Posts: 275
    Cool!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    I didn't upload it, Didero did ^.^ And woot...dooks!!!! yay for sound!
    ItfooQF.png
  • LOL :oops: That was PHAIL on my part (saw your reply at the end when I was typing that)
  • Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when making a new character I can not select any of the pets and get stuck with a dog by default. The ferret option shows up with the cat and the dog options, but selecting it or the cat option does not change anything. The dog continues to be displayed on the character creation screen and all new characters created start with a dog.

I do not have any other mods that change the character select screen, so there is no conflict. I am using version 1.12b of the game.
    "Hit that? Its not so far away. Here, let me load up my Exploding Shot..." - Valeria
  • I'm pretty sure that mod will only work with the current 1.14 version. Which was only released for valve. We will be releasing 1.15 for everybody hopefully in the next month which will support the GUI change as well as include some new content.
  • Bebop wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that mod will only work with the current 1.14 version. Which was only released for valve. We will be releasing 1.15 for everybody hopefully in the next month which will support the GUI change as well as include some new content.

That would explain it, then. Thank you very much, Bebop. I look forward to the next update!
    "Hit that? Its not so far away. Here, let me load up my Exploding Shot..." - Valeria
  • Sage009Sage009 Posts: 103
    So basically the ferret is purely cosmetic?
    Not faster than the cat or anything?
  • Bebop wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that mod will only work with the current 1.14 version. Which was only released for valve. We will be releasing 1.15 for everybody hopefully in the next month which will support the GUI change as well as include some new content.

Ah. I was coming in here to mention the same problem. At least now I know what the deal is. I'll be patient and wait for the next update.

-HM
    "I see a Hollow Man, gun in hand, it points my way." - The Cult
    Band Chat
  • Bebop wrote:
    That means the Runic version is still 1.12 right?? So, there's no 1.13 laying around or something?

New content is always great, keeps things fresh and stuff (but with all these cool mods coming out, you guys have some standards to beat :oops: Kidding ofc ... You probably have some kinda huge mumbo jumbo up your sleeves :lol:)
  • BuioBuio Posts: 338
    I guess Didero should note that it only works with Steam version until next patch then.

And cool to hear about upcoming patch with new content.
  • OuroborosOuroboros Posts: 195
    Bebop wrote:
    I looked at the code fr this mod and noticed all pets were using guiPet1 so didn't actually bother installing, knowing that each guiPet can only be assigned to 1 pet, dog/cat/imaginary by default on 1.12b; I assume this working on newer versions means that we'll be able to add as many pets as we want to the character selection screen with them all actually working, allowing for far more choices of starting pet rather than always having to use perm fish?

Out of curiosity, will the ferret files be included in the 1.15 patch, or will we still need a full size mod like this to use it (making it an TorchED bonus of sorts)? It'd be nice to reduce the mod for it down to something like the imaginary pet if possible (or just have it active by default, not that I'd notice with all the mods I have active).
    Bebop wrote:
    Oh, I'll add that to the first post then. I have the Steam version, that's why I didn't notice.
    Also, I take it by you posting here Runic doesn't mind the ferret pet being distributed like this?
    Sage009 wrote:
    So basically the ferret is purely cosmetic?
    Not faster than the cat or anything?
    The stats of the ferret are the same as the cat's. Both the ferret and the cat have a slightly higher walking speed than the dog, but that shouldn't be noticeable because I think the pets are always running. So yeah, this is purely cosmetic. But the ferret does look great :)
    It's easy to change the pet speed though, you don't even need TorchED for that. Just go to the "media\units\monsters\Ferret" folder inside the "FerretPet" folder, and open "ferret.dat" with a text editor. Notepad will do. Then look at line 11, which should look like this:
    <FLOAT>RUNNINGSPEED:6.5

Just increase the number and save the file. Then delete "ferret.dat.adm", and in the main mod folder ("%appdata%\runic games\torchlight") delete "masterresourceunits.dat", "massfile.dat" and their ".adm" equivalents, and in the "mods" subfolder delete "mods.dat.adm". If you start up the game now, the ferret should move faster :)

EDIT: I just realised, if you deleted the 'UI' folder from the mod, so you can't select the ferret in the character creation screen, it should work on versions below 1.14, right?
    Also, small update to the mod, to version 1.1.1. Nothing major changed, that's why I didn't name it 1.2 :)
    Creator of:
    Uploader of:
  • Ferret pet works in TL 1.1, but the textures are missing.
  • lupinelupine Posts: 1
    Funny thing, in 1.12, I gave my ferret pet another fish, and it reverted back to the dog after the 160 seconds. So the ferret fish wasn't a permanent change. Anyone else experience this?
  • OuroborosOuroboros Posts: 195
    lupine wrote:
    Funny thing, in 1.12, I gave my ferret pet another fish, and it reverted back to the dog after the 160 seconds. So the ferret fish wasn't a permanent change. Anyone else experience this?
    That's a bug with the game itself, none of the perm fish are truly permanent - they last until you use any other transformation fish, after any temporary transformation fish you'll always revert back to the pet you choose at the character create screen (dog/cat/imaginary for the vast majority of us)
    Drimacus wrote:
    Ferret pet works in TL 1.1, but the textures are missing.
    I'm sorry, but I can't provide support for older versions than the latest. Both because I have the Steam version of the game so I can't test on older versions, and because even if I could test on all versions it's far too much work for very little gain. I don't think there's a way to make it compatible to all versions of the game anyway.
    Just out of curiosity, why haven't you updated to the latest version of the game?
    Ouroboros wrote:
    lupine wrote:
    That's a bug with the game itself, none of the perm fish are truly permanent - they last until you use any other transformation fish, after any temporary transformation fish you'll always revert back to the pet you choose at the character create screen (dog/cat/imaginary for the vast majority of us)
    I did make the Ferretfish a permanent transformation fish, so as soon as Runic fixes this bug, he should stay a ferret. Of course, with the next game patch you can also select the ferret from the character creation screen in non-Steam versions, but that doesn't really help existing characters.
    Creator of:
    Uploader of:
  • Don't worry about it, I was merely stating the fact that it's slightly borked in original TL. :lol:

As for the why, my game crashed every time I hovered over Tanwanteng's left eye in my stash and it was driving me insane. No matter how many times I told myself to move the cursor around it I always kept forgetting. :roll:
  • SquigSquig Posts: 13
    What does the ferret pet look like?
    Id love to see a picture.

Thanks!
    Squig wrote:
    What does the ferret pet look like?
    Id love to see a picture.

Thanks!
    In the "Will the ferret be officially added to the digital version" topic, Grue posted this image:
    ilurbferret.jpg
    I could take more if you want :)

Coincidentally, his post was also what made me try to get the ferret in the main game. So thanks! :D
    Creator of:
    Uploader of:
  • hakkenshihakkenshi Posts: 276
    It has GOGGLES?? Must have.
    Please check out my WIP class, the Shadowdancer - I'd love to get some feedback!
  • SquigSquig Posts: 13
    Thanks for posting a picture of the ferret

He is so cute!
    Gotta have a mod to make a GIANT ferret next *hehe*
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭
    Plan to build an Enchanter class (from sigreth's GenderModv1 viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6173) and this ferret will definitely be her pet!

Have been playing Destroyer class for some time now and getting a little tired of just beating everything to death!
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • That is one darn cute ferret. Seems most appropriate for the Alchemist. Maybe its the goggles.
  • I'm missing something, or doing something wrong... I'm running the Steam version, and I THOUGHT I followed the instructions. The ferret shows up as an option for new characters, but there's no fish in the general merchant shop. This is the only mod I'm running, so a) it's not a conflict but b) I'm happy to believe I did it wrong.

I first ran the removebinary file in the ferret pet directory. That didn't do it, so I went in and removed the massfile and masterresource files. That didn't do it either. What am I missing?
  • GioGio Posts: 39
    Well, I recommend TorchLeech.. I use it to manage all of my mods. It will let you know if there are any conflicts with other mods you may have installed, as well as let you change around load priorities.

So give that a shot, and see if it helps sort out your issue, especially if you somehow made a mistake during install. Otherwise, you can try leaving town and checking the merchant again when you return.. ^^

- Gio
  • Hmm. I installed Torchleech, which wasn't happy with the "unsupported" version of the ferret mod. So I deactivated that, then installed and activated the "supported" version inside Torchleech... and nothing changed. Also, my character is L.13... am I supposed to have the dogfish in the store? Even if I have a dog?
  • GioGio Posts: 39
    Offhand, I say you should actually uninstall both versions of the mod, and install it again. Also, by default Torchlight gives the merchant the catfish at 15 (I think) if you have the dog; the Ferret mod has the ferretfish from level 1. Again, try leaving town and heading to the merchant to check for a reset. If that doesn't work, well.. I'm out of ideas. =/

- Gio