[Monster] Gorilla's Monster Pack 01.05.02 *updated 8/16/2010

AttackGorillaAttackGorilla Posts: 1,656
edited June 2013 in Mod Showcase
Adds several monsters to the game: 3 dragonkin variants, zebramatt's Children of the Damned monsters, Corrupted soldier (4 variations & 4 champion variations), Sub Crawler (fire), 2 mummy varieties, black widow spider, ravenous ratlin, dark varkolyn, 4 skeleton varieties, and 2 goblin predator varieties.
unzip and place full file structure into your %appdata%\Runic Games\Torchlight\mods

Download: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=358
previous revisions available here: http://www.torchlit.net/latest-mods/item/114-monster-gorilla%5C%27s-monster-pack-01.html

I suggest deleting any of my previous monster mods prior to installing this one to prevent any potential conflict.

Note: the Ravenous Ratlin for whatever reason will not work in TorchED, but works perfectly fine in Torchlight. Haven't figured out yet why the editor can't handle it whenever you try to spawn one in TorchED. If anyone can figure out why this is please let me know so I can fix it.

I placed an "x" as a prefix to the mod in order to lower it on the totem so other mods are not overruled by this pack.

Updated: 8/16/2010 (above download links updated)
01.05.02 - Corrected some of zebramatt's files that were causing some games to crash.
01.05.01 - Added zebramatt's Children of the Damned monsters back in. Added 3 dragonkin variants.
01.04.03 - Added a few champion variations of the monsters in this pack.
01.04.02 - Deleted erroneous model files.
01.04.01 - Added a dark skeleton and fixed some more errors.
01.03.01 - Added a fire skeleton and removed zebramatt's Children of the Damned monsters.
01.02.01 - Added Corrupted Soldier monsters and zebramatt's Children of the Damned monsters. Also fixed a few spawnclasses.
01.01.01 - Added new Sub Crawler monster with new fire beam.
01.00.02 - Added a few missing, but important spawnclasses for random dungeons.
01.00.01 - Resolved several file conflicts to allow the mod to act a bit more independently.

As I make more monsters I will add them to this pack, update the date, and increment the number. If anyone else out there makes monsters please maintain this spawnclass structure so that all out monsters work together and also please post a message in this thread so we can keep track of all the monsters and nobody gets left out.

monsterpack002.jpg
monsterpack001.jpg
ravenousRat01.jpg
crawlernew01.jpg
soldier_threeoffour.jpg
fireskel02y.jpg
darkerskel.jpg
green_D1.jpg black_D1.jpg red_D1.jpg
kkscreenshot01.png

Thanks to Nanenj and Didero for the know how and help with mod compatibility.
zebramatt's original Children of the Damned: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10379

Comments

• UmbraUmbra Posts: 41
    Ahehehe, I've been perusing your created monsters and was wondering when you were going to release them all in a pack, much thanks.
    Added + Installed!
    horsemanv.png
  • This is BADAZZZ!!! :twisted: Thanks a LOT mate!!!
  • kirokenkiroken Posts: 44
    Great work man 8-)
    As I make more monsters I will add them to this pack, update the date, and increment the number. If anyone else out there makes monsters please maintain this spawnclass structure so that all out monsters work together and also please post a message in this thread so we can keep track of all the monsters and nobody gets left out.

That's a great suggestion, so we can have a better and bigger monster pack in the future ;)

Keep being awesome and thx again!
  • goro3dgoro3d Posts: 277
    Hey man this is cool gonna download and install this now :)!
    Zombies will bring back the old days of diablo 2 killing Dried Corpses etc thanks alot and keep up the great work!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    Dude, this is SO why you rock! Thanks for the badass beasties!
    ItfooQF.png
  • zebramattzebramatt Posts: 275
    Now to just get it on TorchLeech.
    AWESOME.

Incidentally:
    TorchLeech - Conflict check results:
    SAME FILENAME: 'Gorilla's Dungeon 01 (1.0)' & 'Gorilla's Monster Pack (01)' @ armor_B.dds --- 'media\models\skeleton\armor_B.dds'
    SAME FILENAME: 'Gorilla's Dungeon 01 (1.0)' & 'Gorilla's Monster Pack (01)' @ armor_F.dds --- 'media\models\skeleton\armor_F.dds'
    SAME FILENAME: 'Gorilla's Dungeon 01 (1.0)' & 'Gorilla's Monster Pack (01)' @ skeletonwarrior_diffuse_B.dds --- 'media\models\skeleton\skeletonwarrior_diffuse_B.dds'
    SAME FILENAME: 'Gorilla's Dungeon 01 (1.0)' & 'Gorilla's Monster Pack (01)' @ skeletonwarrior_diffuse_F.dds --- 'media\models\skeleton\skeletonwarrior_diffuse_F.dds'
    SAME FILENAME: 'Gorilla's Dungeon 01 (1.0)' & 'Gorilla's Monster Pack (01)' @ skeleton_diffuse_B.dds --- 'media\models\skeleton\skeleton_diffuse_B.dds'
    SAME FILENAME: 'Gorilla's Dungeon 01 (1.0)' & 'Gorilla's Monster Pack (01)' @ varkolyn_blightclaw_B.dds --- 'media\models\Varkolyn_BC\varkolyn_blightclaw_B.dds'
    Dude these monsters are awesome!!!
    So you gonna do anymore in the near future?
    It was only a matter of seconds that I found myself face to face with like 15 mummies and they went down quick haha it was awesome!
    Great Job man keep it up :)!
    Also found a group of like 10 ratlins and took them out quickly but man they looked mean and ugly (bad combo lol)!
  • Love this mod that u created! Hope to see more in the future.
  • Thanks for all the support/feedback. :D Glad you all are enjoying the monsters.
    In my next release/revision (no estimated date yet) I will fix those conflicts. Thanks for showing me. In the mean time those conflicts shouldn't effect those units in either case since they are identical.
    I will more than likely make more monsters as free time permits. I will update this thread when I do.
    Can I make a monster suggestion?
    Ah, good. I suspected the conflicts were just duplicates of identical files... but thought I'd mention it nonetheless!

(...on similar lines:)
    TorchLeech - Conflict check results:
    SAME FILENAME: 'Enemy Weapon Variety (1.1)' & 'Gorilla's Monster Pack (01)' @ RANDOM_SUBGROUP_GOBLINARMY.dat --- 'media\Spawnclasses\RANDOM_SUBGROUP_GOBLINARMY.dat'

Also, I've just thrown this together: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/396.
  • ... and you said nobody's gonna like this small pack :lol:

Anyway, in the future, you should make a monster that has the Destroyer model with your Gorilla skin ... call it Attack Gorilla!!! Put him in a secret Gorilla Level like the horses!!!

Thanks for the pack again :mrgreen:
  • zebramatt wrote:
    Also, I've just thrown this together: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/396.
    I took a look and it seems promising. Any screenshots? those are some crazy high HP and resistance values...

If anyone wants their monsters incorporated into my pack with credit just say so and I will try to do so (as time permits and as long as your monster works and functions well within the game).
    goro3d wrote:
    Can I make a monster suggestion?
    feel free to make suggestions, either in the thread or send me a message. No guarantees though. If I don't do it someone else might. Also, I don't have 3DS Max so I am limited to existing models.
    edited January 2010
    zebramatt wrote:
    I took a look and it seems promising. Any screenshots? those are some crazy high HP and resistance values...

Yes, I'm inclined to think it might be an exceedingly good idea to tweak a few of those values...

As for screenshots - I'll see what I can do!*

*EDIT: Here's a taster!
    codscreenshot01.png
  • DideroDidero Posts: 90
    Great mod, more content is always fun. Especially monsters, they must be hard to make.

I do have a small suggestion to prevent conflicts. I don't know if this is what you meant by "I will fix those conflicts", but I'll just let you know anyway.
    You can add to spawnclasses without overwriting them entirely. I use this with both my "Total Respec" and my ferret mod, and it works there.
    Just make a file in the "/media/Spawnclasses" folder like normal, but only put the additions you want to make to the spawnclass in there, and the name of the spawnclass. Make sure the filename is different though.
    Take for example the conflict with the 'Enemy Weapons Variety' mod, where both mods have a file "RANDOM_SUBGROUP_GOBLINARMY.dat" in their 'Spawnclasses' folder. The 'Variety' mod overwrites the entire file, since it fixes a bug in it. But your 'Monster Pack' mod only adds to it, so you could make a file called, for instance, "RandomSubgroupGoblinArmy_AddGorillaPackMonsters.dat" (different from the original name so it doesn't overwrite it, but still recognisable), with only the spawnclass name and the monsters you want to add in it, like this:
    [SPAWNCLASS]
    <STRING>NAME:RANDOM_SUBGROUP_GOBLINARMY
    [OBJECT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Goblin Predator
    <INTEGER>WEIGHT:-1
    <INTEGER>MINCOUNT:2
    <INTEGER>MAXCOUNT:5
    [/OBJECT]
    [OBJECT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Goblin Predator Elite
    <INTEGER>WEIGHT:-1
    <INTEGER>MINCOUNT:1
    <INTEGER>MAXCOUNT:2
    [/OBJECT]
    [/SPAWNCLASS]

This will prevent conflicts with other mods that change or add to this spawnclass, while still adding your content.

I don't mean to sound "You must do this my way because that is the best", and I apologise if it seems like that. I'm just trying to help, and prevent people from giving up on this great mod when TorchLeech pops up a conflict warning or when they don't see the added enemies.
    Creator of:
    -Total Respec mod (v2.0, Jan. 10 2010)
    -Faster Walking mod (v1.0, Nov. 11 2009)
    Uploader of:
    -Ferret Pet mod (ferret itself made by Runic) (v1.1.1, Jan. 4 2010)
    Well I was wondering if maybe you could add a Naga its pretty much a snake with 2 arms usually holding swords.
    My idea comes from Guildwars:Factions :)!
    If not thats cool maybe spawn more of those huge spiders that are in that watery area of the uderground of torchlight where you get the glyphs :)!
    You know anything you can come up with is a cool idea but if you can make it happen its all good :)!
  • Didero wrote:
    I do have a small suggestion to prevent conflicts. I don't know if this is what you meant by "I will fix those conflicts", but I'll just let you know anyway.
    You can add to spawnclasses without overwriting them entirely. I use this with both my "Total Respec" and my ferret mod, and it works there.
    Just make a file in the "/media/Spawnclasses" folder like normal, but only put the additions you want to make to the spawnclass in there, and the name of the spawnclass. Make sure the filename is different though.
    Take for example the conflict with the 'Enemy Weapons Variety' mod, where both mods have a file "RANDOM_SUBGROUP_GOBLINARMY.dat" in their 'Spawnclasses' folder. The 'Variety' mod overwrites the entire file, since it fixes a bug in it. But your 'Monster Pack' mod only adds to it, so you could make a file called, for instance, "RandomSubgroupGoblinArmy_AddGorillaPackMonsters.dat" (different from the original name so it doesn't overwrite it, but still recognisable), with only the spawnclass name and the monsters you want to add in it.
    This will prevent conflicts with other mods that change or add to this spawnclass, while still adding your content.

I don't mean to sound "You must do this my way because that is the best", and I apologise if it seems like that. I'm just trying to help, and prevent people from giving up on this great mod when TorchLeech pops up a conflict warning or when they don't see the added enemies.

Good idea and that works great for new dungeons made from scratch that call upon those new spawnclass files. The problem that exists is that I need the current torchlight maps/dungeons to load my custom added monsters and I do not think those maps/dungeons will grab just any random spawnclass file. Let me know if I am wrong about this though, I just assumed that Torchlight only loaded specific spawnclasses in the dungeons.
    If you add to the spawnclasses the way I described, it should work in normal dungeons too. Using that method, you just add to the spawnclass file, so the game first loads the normal spawnclass files included in the vanilla game, and then adds the data found in these spawnclass addition files.
    So if for instance the unmodded, default games contains a spawnclass file "Spawnclasses\CaveMonsterSpawn.dat" that contains
    [SPAWNCLASS]
    <STRING>NAME:CAVE_MONSTERS
    [OBJECT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Monster A
    <INTEGER>WEIGHT:3
    [/OBJECT]
    [OBJECT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Monster B
    <INTEGER>WEIGHT:1
    [/OBJECT]
    [/SPAWNCLASS]

and you make a file inside your mod with the same <STRING>NAME: but a different filename, say "Spawnclasses\CaveMonsterSpawn_AddAwesomeMonster.dat", that contains
    &#91;SPAWNCLASS&#93;
    &lt;STRING&gt;NAME:CAVE_MONSTERS
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &lt;STRING&gt;UNIT:Awesome Monster by AttackGorilla
    &lt;INTEGER&gt;WEIGHT:12
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/SPAWNCLASS&#93;

the game will combine the two files when it starts up, creating the aggregate spawnclass
    &#91;SPAWNCLASS&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &lt;STRING&gt;UNIT:Monster A
    &lt;INTEGER&gt;WEIGHT:3
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &lt;STRING&gt;UNIT:Monster B
    &lt;INTEGER&gt;WEIGHT:1
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/SPAWNCLASS&#93;

Then, while playing, when the game uses the CAVE_MONSTERS spawnclass, it uses the combined spawnclass, so 'Awesome Monster by AttackGorilla' should be created 12 out of 12+3+1=16 times, so with a chance of 75%.

I hope that's clear (and not condescending >_>). I'm a bit tired, and I'm not too good at explaining things then.
    Creator of:
    Uploader of:
    Didero wrote:
    If you add to the spawnclasses the way I described, it should work in normal dungeons too. Using that method, you just add to the spawnclass file, so the game first loads the normal spawnclass files included in the vanilla game, and then adds the data found in these spawnclass addition files.
    So if for instance the unmodded, default games contains a spawnclass file "Spawnclasses\CaveMonsterSpawn.dat" that contains
    &#91;SPAWNCLASS&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/SPAWNCLASS&#93;

and you make a file inside your mod with the same <STRING>NAME: but a different filename, say "Spawnclasses\CaveMonsterSpawn_AddAwesomeMonster.dat", that contains
    &#91;SPAWNCLASS&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/SPAWNCLASS&#93;

the game will combine the two files when it starts up, creating the aggregate spawnclass
    &#91;SPAWNCLASS&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/OBJECT&#93;
    &#91;/SPAWNCLASS&#93;

Then, while playing, when the game uses the CAVE_MONSTERS spawnclass, it uses the combined spawnclass, so 'Awesome Monster by AttackGorilla' should be created 12 out of 12+3+1=16 times, so with a chance of 75%.

I hope that's clear (and not condescending >_>). I'm a bit tired, and I'm not too good at explaining things then.

Of course! I'm going to update mine right away!
  • AttackGorillaAttackGorilla Posts: 1,656
    edited January 2010
    Didero wrote:
    If you add to the spawnclasses the way I described, it should work in normal dungeons too. Using that method, you just add to the spawnclass file, so the game first loads the normal spawnclass files included in the vanilla game, and then adds the data found in these spawnclass addition files............

I see... Thank You very much. It makes sense now, thanks for explaining it again. Did not realize Torchlight would auto merge them in this fashion. I will make the changes and hopefully upload the correction tonight if all goes well.

UPDATE: Monster pack updated per Didero's recommendation. Thanks Again. :D
    Updates: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/396

I'll fix some of the (significant) issues with this mod as soon as I get a chance.

In the meantime, I've actually taken the liberty of assuming it'll be cool to include this in your monster pack - I hope that's ok? Let me know what you reckon - it's still pretty early!
  • zebramatt wrote:
    Updates: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/396

I'll fix some of the (significant) issues with this mod as soon as I get a chance.

In the meantime, I've actually taken the liberty of assuming it'll be cool to include this in your monster pack - I hope that's ok? Let me know what you reckon - it's still pretty early!
    I'll try and get to it tomorrow... I need to sleep.
    zebramatt wrote:
    I see... Thank You very much. It makes sense now, thanks for explaining it again. Did not realize Torchlight would auto merge them in this fashion. I will make the changes and hopefully upload the correction tonight if all goes well.

You're both very welcome :)
    It was actually Nanenj who found out how this worked and posted about it here. It really helped with my 'Total Respec' mod, and I think it'll help a lot of other people with making their mods modular too. So spread the word :D
    Creator of:
    Uploader of:
    Didero wrote:
    zebramatt wrote:

You're both very welcome :)
    It was actually Nanenj who found out how this worked and posted about it here. It really helped with my 'Total Respec' mod, and I think it'll help a lot of other people with making their mods modular too. So spread the word :D

Sweet - I'll update my acknowledgements accordingly.
    I look forward to using those children of the dead when they are ready and I mean further along than now just to be sure they are working properly.
    You guys are awesome keep of the excellent work I look forward to more in the near and distant future!
    Thanks Zebra will give this a shot tomorrow!!!
    goro3d wrote:
    Thanks Zebra will give this a shot tomorrow!!!

It should be totally stable but the balancing might need work, so I'd appreciate your feedback!

Also, there's a known bug with the Kid Ketcher's skin: he's got a little extra transparency on his candle. It's scarcely noticeable but I definitely will address it in the not too distant future.

All comments welcome.
    I got good news and bad news!
    Good news they work!
    Bad news I saw no Kid Ketcher's around and they damned children didn't attack they just ran up to me and stared at me and I thought it was funny but its kind of an unfair advantage for the good guys lol.
    Otherwise cool mod just needs some work!