[PETS] Crouching Pet, Hidden Beast v1.13a

VelariVelari Posts: 376
edited July 2011 in Mod Showcase
That's a pretty lame name for what is essentially a pet pack, but I like it nonetheless.

This mod contains eleven pets, and the items to change your beloved cat, dog, or perhaps nowadays future your ferret, into these creatures.

You'll find pet versions of the following:

- Three enemies who originally did not have pet versions. A pet Phase Beast, a pet Ember Mycon, and a small pet Dragonkin.
- Two unused enemies in Torchlight, the Varkolyn Dark and the Varkolyn Warrior. Both of these can also be found in my Champions Mod, though as enemies rather than pets.
- Two enemies from my Champions Mod, the Dark Priestess and the Deathcaster.
And, in version 1.11, four more were added:
- Two minor enemies from my Champions Mod, the Preying Spider and the Widowmaker.
- Looking to fight spiders with more spiders? Use the Brood Mother pet, also based on an enemy from my Champions Mod.
- The Depth Dweller, a pet based on the unused Torchlight boss monster Leviathan.
Another seven pets were added in version 1.13:
- The Crawler, so you can laser it up like it was no thing.
- The Frost Imp, an Imp with cold-based attacks and abilities.
- To bolster your forces in case you don't like the Brood Mother, there's the Splitter Gel and the Pandora, both based on their Champions Mod counterparts.
- Because Tu'Tara are awesome, you can now turn your pet into a Tu'Tara Voltrunner or Tu'Tara Dreamreaver, as seen in the Champions Mod. The black Voltrunner is <3
- And finally, the Darkelf Blade Mistress. Blades might not be not included, but she's still as ferocious as her sisters from the Champions Mod.

You can see me change my pet into these critters in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB7Qg5qFMOQ
The four pet forms added in version 1.11 can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexJo68r6r8
The seven pet forms added in version 1.13 can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gskUMGmpUUM

As of version 1.1 (January 7th, 2010), a Fishmash-compatible version of this mod is also included.
I advise against using both versions simultaneously, as this will accomplish nothing of interest. Either use the normal version, or, if you're using the Fishmash mod by Benjamin Tomfoolery, use the Fishmash-compatible version of the Crouching Pet, Hidden Beast mod.

As of version 1.13a (July 18th, 2011), Mac-compatible versions are also included - version 1.13 included files that do not play well with the Mac version of the games.

Download (and pics of the pets): http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downlo ... ile&id=402

Comments

• StrayStray Posts: 12
    Is this compatible with FishMesh? If not, is there a way to add these fish to the General Vendor?
  • VelariVelari Posts: 376
    Interesting, someone also asked whether they could be bought at the general vendor on the video.

I don't have Fishmash and have never had Fishmash, so feel comfortable in saying that it's probably not compatible, given that I don't know the workings of Fishmash. I might look into it at some point if there's enough interest/demand.

The fish are not sold at the general vendor. I could make it that way without much trouble, but it would likely cause this mod to conflict with every mod that alters the general vendor's inventory in some way. Since this is a relatively small mod, I wanted it to not conflict with anything. And it shouldn't, hopefully, outside of an unfortunate name or GUID clash >_>
  • Fish Mash (1.03) and this mod should be compatible - no conflicts found.
    TorchLeech - a free mod manager for Torchlight. --- powered by Runic Games Fansite.
  • zebramattzebramatt Posts: 275
    edited January 2010
    The fishmonger in Lathlas's Merchant Pack - which I recommend - should automatically carry these fish from time to time.

To make this FishMash compatible, you would need to do the following.
    1. Rename Normal Fish
    FishMash adds a "Medium" fish type, so the normal fish are renamed accordingly.

For example...
    <STRING>NAME:Night_Ember
    <TRANSLATE>DISPLAYNAME:Night Ember Shard
    ...would instead be...
    <STRING>NAME:Night_Ember
    <TRANSLATE>DISPLAYNAME:Night Ember Fragment
    2. Create Medium Fish
    The Medium Fish take up the display name of their normal counterparts; and have a 600 second duration.

For example...
    [UNIT]
    <STRING>BASEFILE:media/units/items/base.dat
    <STRING>NAME:Night_Ember_Shard
    <TRANSLATE>DISPLAYNAME:Night Ember
    <STRING>RESOURCEDIRECTORY:media/models/armor/gemdrop
    <TRANSLATE>DESCRIPTION:Right-click to expose pet to ember
    <STRING>UNITTYPE:FISH
    <INTEGER>RARITY:70
    <INTEGER>VALUE:100
    <BOOL>SHADOWS:false
    <INTEGER>ICON_SHEET:1
    <STRING>ICON:ember_shimmering
    <STRING>FALL_SOUND:Item Fall
    <STRING>TAKE_SOUND:PICKUP
    <STRING>LAND_SOUND:GEMDROP
    <STRING>USE_SOUND:PotionUse
    <INTEGER>MINLEVEL:15
    <INTEGER>MAXLEVEL:9999999
    <STRING>USES:1
    <STRING>UNIT_GUID:-5822449879243288098
    <INTEGER>MAXSTACKSIZE:5
    <STRING>MESHFILE:ring
    [EFFECT]
    <STRING>NAME:Pet Dark Priestess
    <STRING>ACTIVATION:DYNAMIC
    <STRING>DURATION:INSTANT
    <STRING>TYPE:TRANSFORM
    <STRING>PARTICLE_FX:GENERICPOTION
    <FLOAT>MIN:600
    <FLOAT>MAX:600
    [/EFFECT]
    [/UNIT]
    3. Add Recipes
    FishMash also allows you to use the transmogrification chap to convert 5 of one fish type into a single fish of the next size up. So you'd need to add (three) recipes, into a media/recipes folder, for each new fish type

For example...
    [RECIPE]
    <STRING>NAME:fishmash_nightember01
    [INGREDIENT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Night_Ember
    <INTEGER>COUNT:5
    [/INGREDIENT]
    [RESULT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Night_Ember_shard
    [/RESULT]
    [/RECIPE]
    [RECIPE]
    <STRING>NAME:fishmash_nightember02
    [INGREDIENT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Night_Ember_Shard
    [/INGREDIENT]
    [RESULT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Night_Ember_Big
    [/RESULT]
    [/RECIPE]
    [RECIPE]
    <STRING>NAME:fishmash_nightember03
    [INGREDIENT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Night_Ember_Big
    [/INGREDIENT]
    [RESULT]
    <STRING>UNIT:Night_Ember_Perm
    [/RESULT]
    [/RECIPE]
    As the man from TorchLeech says, it isn't actually incompatible - it doesn't conflict - without these additions, it just doesn't follow the FishMash schema.
    As the man from TorchLeech says, it isn't actually incompatible - it doesn't conflict - without these additions, it just doesn't follow the FishMash schema.

Yeah, I didn't design it to work with whatever Fishmash's mechanics are, so I don't expect it to do whatever it is Fishmash makes fish do.
    It's just that although I did make it so it hopefully shouldn't conflict with anything, I'm not out and out going to say "I won't conflict with that" if someone asks me about a mod I've never touched. So Torchleech saying that there aren't any conflicts is nice to hear.
  • PBnJPBnJ Posts: 16
    zebramatt: Thanks, just the info I needed! I've been wanting to add a couple other fish mods to my masher. :D
    Well, that doesn't motivate me to ever make a version to work with Fishmash :P
    Well if someone makes a FishMash version of CPHB then maybe they'd find it in their heart to share?

;)
    Nah, I'll look into it :P

EDIT: Job's done. When you download it now, you'll have both the normal version and a Fishmash-compatible version. Obviously, you should only put one of them in your mods directory.
    Velari wrote:
    Nah, I'll look into it :P

EDIT: Job's done. When you download it now, you'll have both the normal version and a Fishmash-compatible version. Obviously, you should only put one of them in your mods directory.

Nice work!

(It should probably appear twice on TorchLeech, in that case!)
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a FANTASTIC mod! Will DL and try it out - Thanks so much velari!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • Been waiting for something like this thanks so much for making it. Just wondering does the mod also spawn permanent fish? Cuz idealy I wanna change my pet into your baby DragonKin 24/7
    Yep, there's normal, big, and giant versions of the transformation items, with the same durations as the standard Torchlight fish. Fishmash version also includes ten minute transformation items since that's one of the features of Fishmash.
  • Aww, I want permanent fish for all these creatures though (like the dog and catfish in the original torchlight) (or at least a permanent DragonKin) :(
    It's no fun if it reverts back into the everyday dog or cat after a while (taken from a purely skinbased view, I don't care about the extra whistles and bells the transformations bring with em) :(

and yes there is a permanent DragonKin mod but that's overpowered and just steals the show from the player.

O well guess I gotta wait longer then till someone makes such a mod.
  • Aww, I want permanent fish for all these creatures though (like the dog and catfish in the original torchlight) (or at least a permanent DragonKin) :(
    It's no fun if it reverts back into the everyday dog or cat after a while (taken from a purely skinbased view, I don't care about the extra whistles and bells the transformations bring with em) :(

and yes there is a permanent DragonKin mod but that's overpowered and just steals the show from the player.

O well guess I gotta wait longer then till someone makes such a mod.

Certainly if you get the FishMash version of this mod there are Small (120ms), Medium (600ms), Large (3600ms) and Giant (Permanent) versions of all the fish!
  • Fishmash can do that? well then I gotta install it and the fishmash version of this mod asap, thanks :)
  • Fishmash can do that? well then I gotta install it and the fishmash version of this mod asap, thanks :)

I just double checked and both versions of this mod have all four sizes of fish!
  • The creator of this mod in his post higher up above basically tells me that however the way he said it made it sound like Giant is no longer permanent but rather limited to 10 or so minutes...that's why I was bummed again...so both versions include Giant fish that have permanent duration or just ones that have long duration?
  • The creator of this mod in his post higher up above basically tells me that however the way he said it made it sound like Giant is no longer permanent but rather limited to 10 or so minutes...that's why I was bummed again...so both versions include Giant fish that have permanent duration or just ones that have long duration?

Read it again!

(Both have both.)
  • Ok, then my next question, if using the non fishmash version then how rare a spawn are the giant fish?
    Aww, I want permanent fish for all these creatures though (like the dog and catfish in the original torchlight) (or at least a permanent DragonKin)
    It's no fun if it reverts back into the everyday dog or cat after a while (taken from a purely skinbased view, I don't care about the extra whistles and bells the transformations bring with em)

There are permanent fish. They each have normal, big, and giant versions, like the normal Torchlight stuff, and giant fish results in permanent transformation.

I just double checked and both versions of this mod have all four sizes of fish!

They shouldn't >_>
    The normal one has normal, big, and giant, Fishmash version has small, normal, big, and giant.

The creator of this mod in his post higher up above basically tells me that however the way he said it

"Her" and "she."

made it sound like Giant is no longer permanent but rather limited to 10 or so minutes...,

Nope, what I meant is that Fishmash introduces a fourth size (10 minute transformation) in addition to the three that are already available (two minutes, one hour, permanent). This because the jump between two minutes and one hour is huge. Well, and I imagine because two minutes is honestly kind of useless >_>
    So at any rate, both versions have the standard fish for two minutes, one hour, and permanent, the Fishmash version adds a fourth fish with a transformation time of 10 minutes (to be in line with how Fishmash works), plus the ability to transmute fish of the same size up to a fish of the next size.

So both versions include Giant fish that have permanent duration or just ones that have long duration?

Standard version:
    - 2 minutes
    - 1 hour
    - Permanent

Fishmash version
    - 2 minutes
    - 10 minutes
    - 1 hour
    - Permanent

Ok, then my next question, if using the non fishmash version then how rare a spawn are the giant fish?

The Varkolyn and Phase Beast items are as common as the most common standard Torchlight fish, such as the Webfish, Tunnel Shark, and Batfish. The Priestess, Mycon, and Dragonkin items are a bit more common than the fish for Elementals. The Deathcaster items are pretty much the same as the fish for Elementals.
  • You're absolutely right, madam. *bows* My mistake.
  • Sorry for making you type all that and sorry for getting confused but thanks for the clarification :)
    Updated, most importantly with four additional pet forms. Also tweaked the stats on the original ones a little. Mostly the Dragonkin pet has been beefed up a little, to make him more viable for a number of levels.
    Note that both the standard and Fishmash versions of Crouching Pet, Hidden Beast have been updated.

New pets include the Preying Spider, Widowmaker, Brood Mother, and Depth Dweller. First three are from my Champions Mod where they appeared as enemies, while the Depth Dweller is a modified version of the unused Torchlight boss Leviathan. Some of you may have met up with the Depth Dweller's big brother in the Starch the Monster Hunter mod :)
    At any rate, as an unused monster it seemed like an interesting option for a pet.

The Preying Spider and Widowmaker are in general just stronger spider pets. If anyone happens to like the original spider pet, these might be good alternatives as the original spider pet is rather fragile and isn't of much use beyond the first few levels. The Preying Spider is faster, has a charge attack, and an increased critical rate. The Widowmaker is slightly slower, but stronger and does more damage. The Widowmaker's basic attack is 100% poison damage.
    To distinguish it from the Widowmaker enemies in the Champions Mod, the Widowmaker pet is slightly larger than the enemy Widowmakers. It also has a blueish aura applied to it, both to help distinguish it from enemy Widowmaker, and to make it easier for the player to locate her or his pet in dark areas.

The Dark Priestess and Deathcaster pets provided an interesting alternative to the standard Torchlight pets, I found. Whereas the default pets are mostly "rush in and attack" pets, the Dark Priestess and Deathcaster are spellcaster pets.
    The Brood Mother, then, is a summoner pet. Much like the enemy Brood Mothers in the Champions Mod, the pet Brood Mother can spawn spiderlings to attack enemies. The spiderlings all have a blueish aura, much like the Widowmaker pet, to make it easier for the player to recognise that they are not the enemy.

The Depth Dweller is a decently strong pet who can smash the ground and cause shockwaves that will damage enemy forces. There are rumours that it may also posses some other strange ability ...

While the Preying Spider and Widowmaker aren't particularly strong - though, as said, certainly a bit tougher than the standard spider pet -, the Depth Dweller and Brood Mother are certainly more useful than the standard Torchlight pets. That's because they're meant to be a bit more viable pet choices on higher levels. By which I don't mean level 90 on Very Hard, mind you. But they should prove a bit more useful than most pets, especially the Brood Mother with her summoning capabilities.

While on the subject of the Brood Mother, no, she's not a normal Tunnel Spider, if you want a Tunnel Spider pet, just fetch the Tunnel Spider pet by Irrelevant, which is awesome and the reason why I don't have to bother with making a Tunnel Spider pet :)

A video with me showing the new pets, and some short bits of the Brood Mother and Depth Dweller pets in action can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexJo68r6r8

Mind you that there are minor issues with the Widowmaker and Depth Dweller unit themes. Sometimes they don't appear, or stick to other pets. These aren't issues with my mod, they are issues with the game (or its engine). I've tried a number of workarounds to get around these issues, but haven't managed to find anything yet.
    Usually, though, simply feeding the pet another fish or exiting the game will be enough to get rid of unwanted effects.
    (actually, you can see one of these issues in the video. During the title screen shot of the Preying Spider, you can see a haze over the floor in the background. That's because the Preying Spider had for some reason gotten stuck with the Depth Dweller unit theme, and that haze is a vastly enlarged version of the blueish haze that should be under the Depth Dweller)
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    ...wow...

I'm going to try them all! Thanks so much Velari! You are too cool!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • Using the fishmash version of your mod (and the Merchant Pack mod so I don't have to actually fish for anything), I've gathered about 1/4 of the required smaller fish required to transmute a permanent Dark Priestess fish so far. From what your description sounds like it seems like it'd be a nice pet for my melee Vanquisher who really doesn't need a tank in front of her. Thanks for the nice mod, it looks like there are quite a few interesting choices here to play with.
    If you've visited the Champions Mod topic in the last few hours, you know this was coming:
    SUPER DUPER ULTRA SKIN UPDATE!
    Tired of your purply Phase Beast? Well, you can now be stuck with a cuddly blue Phase Beast instead :roll:

1.12 Is purely cosmetic - there are no changes that will actually affect gameplay.
    And yes, both the standard and Fishmashy Crouching Pet, Hidden Beast versions have been updated.

New skins added for the following pets:

Dark Priestess
    Deathcaster
    Phase Beast
    Ember Mycon
    Varkolyn Dark
    Varkolyn Warrior
    Preying Spider
    Widowmaker
    Brood Mother (Spiderlings have also had their skins changed to reflect the changes)

Also, removed the blue glow from the pet Widowmaker. It looks different from the enemy Widowmakers in the Champions Mod now, so eh.
    The Dragonkin and Depth Dweller pets have not had their appearance changed. They look fine the way they are and anything that you might run into that looks the same is a dozen times their size :P The changes to the Varkolyn Dark and Varkolyn Warrior are very minor, by the way. There isn't much you can change about a Varkolyn Dark before you can't really call it a Varkolyn Dark anymore *shrug*
    Might do a vid tomorrow for people who want to see them before downloading.
    Okay, video showing the new v1.12 skins available here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWMsaey5Xw

Note that the Varkolyn Warrior and Varkolyn Dark pets are not shown, as the changes are quite insignificant.
    Hooray! I haven't had a chance to play Torchlight this past week or so - I was going to ask if you'd post a video!