PrEditor video tutorials...

hadatihadati Posts: 83
edited June 2009 in General Modding
Before the Ogre3D/PrEditor level creation tool is released (towards September) what would really help the modding community to hit the ground running would be one or two higher-res tutorial videos in real-time with a Runic Games level designer talking us through the level creation process as they design a couple different levels.

The 4.5 hour video that was posted that has been sped up 40-50 times was amazing and I learned a lot watching it. With just one or possibly two levels narrated by a level designer I feel that there would be a tremendous number of people designing for this game which will make the MMO that much richer.

Some things that should be in each tutorial - How to set up the length, breadth, width of the level and select your tileset. How to select different pieces you're going to reuse a lot and how to do the lighting using PrEditor. How to create enemy spawnpoints and any other level designer tips and tricks could be included in the video.

Another tutorial could be on designing a custom class and/or new monsters.

Another tutorial could be on designing custom tilesets or objects in the game.

A centralized repository for submitting, downloading, voting on, and reviewing rooms, levels, particle effects, classes, monsters/bosses, traps, etc. really should be set up before PrEditor is ever released.

What would rule would be a contest for the top modders/contributors with prizes like a new gaming computer, a new graphics card, sound card, monitor, access to the MMO beta, being mentioned in the credits, etc.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

Comments

• jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    I look at this a different way;
    I REALLY like figuring stuff out for myself and reading guides from other players who have figured stuff out themselves.

I can't give a logical reason for it, but I just find "professional" manuals and instructional videos boring, but I find the amateur stuff so engaging

I would LOVE to come on to the modding forum 5 hours after the game is released and discover a post by you detailing how you figured out how to make a new skills with the editor and then explain it to us

in the FATE modding forums there are tons of instructional posts: everything from simple stuff like "how do I play in windowed mode" and "how do I get blood to show" to the more complicated "hex editing", "painting with GIMP" and "how to make weapons with 3Ds Max"
    I so enjoy reading those posts;
    I think it makes for a much more active modding community: everyone asking questions, trying to figure out how to do stuff, helping each other out

I really hope they leave a lot of stuff of to the users
    I don't have a sig
  • PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 894 ✭✭
    hadati wrote:
    What would rule would be a contest for the top modders/contributors with prizes like a new gaming computer, a new graphics card, sound card, monitor, access to the MMO beta, being mentioned in the credits, etc.

Where do I sign up for this contest? I want a new graphics card!

I've mentioned this before, but we do plan on doing what we can around launch to get people up and running. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Several people have already been talking about making video tutorials for different aspects of the game. Now whether or not those videos are of actual tutorials or 20 minutes of somebody punching a clown in the park is up in the air.... it's a random roll.
  • I'm sure we'll end up with a mix of stuff. We'll make some tutorials, and we'll help you guys make tutorials, and then you'll figure out stuff we didn't think of and hopefully make tutorials about that too. And of course when you ask questions and get answers, it would probably be cool for that sort of stuff to be compiled into a wiki.

By the way, we're not planning on hosting mods. If we did, then we would have to be responsible for moderating them, and I really don't want to be the mod ****. I'm hoping the community will want to put something together to organize and maybe rate the mods. It would take some work and maybe a lot of bandwidth, depending on how it's set up, but it would also be a big draw to the site.
  • TazcaTazca Posts: 15
    Not really fully on topic, but very cost-effective solution would be to bundle community made video tutorials in for example, a DLC-addon. This of course would prevent the videos to be in tutorial section when the main game launches.

Got this idea from Sword of the Stars, where they integrated 6 community tutorial videos (in Murder of the Crows expansion) to the in-game tutorial to watch, I was amazed how pretty good they were.
  • Volbard wrote:
    I'm sure we'll end up with a mix of stuff. We'll make some tutorials, and we'll help you guys make tutorials, and then you'll figure out stuff we didn't think of and hopefully make tutorials about that too. And of course when you ask questions and get answers, it would probably be cool for that sort of stuff to be compiled into a wiki.

By the way, we're not planning on hosting mods. If we did, then we would have to be responsible for moderating them, and I really don't want to be the mod ****. I'm hoping the community will want to put something together to organize and maybe rate the mods. It would take some work and maybe a lot of bandwidth, depending on how it's set up, but it would also be a big draw to the site.

Taylor and I plan on having full Mod hosting available at RunicInsider when the game launches, and don't worry; I can handle being the Mod ****.
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    And we'll have our Community Blogs at RGF so people can have their own homepage and hosting for their mods :-P I'm sure a couple other sites will pop up in the meantime too :-P
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    Preditor Tutorial Series:

Lesson 1: Your Process - Planning Process, Story Design, Todo list
    Lesson 2: Your Todo List in detail - What is a Todo list?
    Lesson 3: Basic usage and Interface - Understand all the features and layout
    Lesson 3A: Advanced Usage - Understanding the Tools
    Lesson 4: Mapping Without the Tool - Planning your map before you create it
    Lesson 4A: Where to put Objects
    Lesson 5: Mapping with the Tool - Putting your plan into motion
    Lesson 5A: The Database - Tweaking the Monster Data, Item Data, etc
    Lesson 6: Particles

This would probably be the order of my series if I decided to make one. NOTE, I would do it in text first because with text, you can explain things more clearly that you usually won't in video or people just won't understand it when you try in video form.
  • hadatihadati Posts: 83
    Taylor and I plan on having full Mod hosting available at RunicInsider when the game launches, and don't worry; I can handle being the Mod ****.

Awesome.
  • TiptoeTiptoe Posts: 184
    Omnifas wrote:
    NOTE, I would do it in text first because with text, you can explain things more clearly that you usually won't in video or people just won't understand it when you try in video form.

Thank Heavens! Another old fashioned soul who believes in print :mrgreen:. Yeah, I know, I need to get with the times, but I'm really not a big fan of video tutorials, I'd much prefer written tutorials (with lotsa pictures).

Video's are all well and good, but they usually take forever to download (they also take up lots of space on my hard disk). A simple pdf or Word document takes up barely any space at all, and usually has a lot more information to boot.

Ah well, to each his own I guess :roll:.
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    Text for me too, except in situations where it just gets too complicated to explain without fancy moving pictures.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • hadatihadati Posts: 83
    RE: text - BAH! Bah I say! :evil:

Video tutorial with English subtitles for j00!