hand to hand combat?

revilityrevility Posts: 57
edited November 2011 in Art and Sound
Been thinking of adding in some hand to hand combat weapons in. Not quite sure the route I should take because I don't know what my limits are. Looking for some general advise and feedback on this before starting it.

Should it be stuff like fans, disk, and wrist blades? If so then it would end being a new weapon type and could use existing sword animations. Is there a tutorial available for doing this? A problem I can see happening is the size of the weapon. The classes have different size hands, so they would look huge on the vanquisher.

Is it possible to add in new animations to existing player classes? This could be taken to the next step and have some kicks or more punching animations. If this is possible, then stuff like brass knuckles and claws could be done. Once again the size of the weapon in the hand could be an issue.

Any help and advise for this is much appreciated
Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Comments

• jadewahjadewah Posts: 99
    I was just wondering myself. Recalling a thread about Fist weapons - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9030
    However not sure if it's still WIP...
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    I think you can make a new animation, but problem will be how to link it with weapon type. As weapon types are hardcoded, you have to use animation that is assigned to that weapon type. You can however replace existing one.
    Guy whose fist weapons jadewah linked here are using sword animation I think.
  • Thats what i'm looking for :) doesn't look like there has been any updates on it in quite some time. Hope he didn't give up on it.
  • kitetsukitetsu Posts: 256
    Poking to say that, from what I found by accident, that you can use new animations for unarmed combat. In TorchED's animation editor, there's a menu where you can edit various triggers in the span of an animation you're editing when you've unlocked the triggers by pressing the trigger unlock button. It seems like the only limit to the triggers depend on the animation length, so I helped myself to make the Destroyer do a Jab -> Straight -> Upper combo in one animation, a Robocop-style 3-shot burst, Vanq doing a 4-shot bow strafe, etc. Obviously this boils down to having the tool to make the animations, and most importantly, your imagination.
  • hi...

Never enough.

So be sure to learn even more than they teach.

But seriously.

There are several schools of thought on the nature of hand to hand.

One says in the dark fighting an enemy hand to hand it's best to know what moves your own side knows best. That way you'll shoot / stab less of your own, thinking your side has no "fighting style".

Thanks....

• theostheos Posts: 1
    revility wrote:
    Been thinking of adding in some hand to hand combat weapons in. Not quite sure the route I should take because I don't know what my limits are. Looking for some general advise and feedback on this before starting it.

Should it be stuff like fans, disk, and wrist blades? If so then it would end being a new weapon type and could use existing sword animations. Is there a tutorial available for doing this? A problem I can see happening is the size of the weapon. The classes have different size hands, so they would look huge on the vanquisher.

Is it possible to add in new animations to existing player classes? This could be taken to the next step and have some kicks or more punching animations. If this is possible, then stuff like brass knuckles and claws could be done. Once again the size of the weapon in the hand could be an issue.

Any help and advise for this is much appreciated

Brass knuckles is the perfect weapon in hand to hand combat, for sure this is an effective weapon in that kind of combat.
  • EinEin Posts: 52
    Katars and other sorts of fist blades would probably be best. Then you could just use the default punching animations. Though I think Vanq and Al both have kicks in there too. The problem with ring type weapons is that they wouldn't really show visually. Especially with Torchlight being as graphically simple and zoomed out as it is. Something akin to adding a cigar to the Destroyer. Sure it's there, and you can see it kind of. But you wouldn't really be able to notice it unless you were fishing or something.
  • Sent the guy who started the fist weapons mod a pm quite a while ago. He never replied. Not sure what to do now because his work looked really good.
  • hand to hand combat? i'd rather use a gun when you have to.. you see' bringing first blades or something like that wouldnt do when your opponent has a higher capacity of weapon..

“Take things as they are. Punch with defense sap gloves when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.”