What should Adam eat in China?

JediFreemanJediFreeman Posts: 617 admin
edited July 2012 in Announcements
This is related to the news post Runic goes to China!

Member of Runic Games are enroute to China today, spending 10 days in Beijing and Shanghai visiting our partners.

This is Technical Artist Adam Perin’s first trip to China which inspires a lot of glee around the office – Adam is the most notoriously finicky eater we have ever met. Subsisting primarily on mac ‘n’ cheese, fries, and cheap beer, it’s only a matter of time before he dies of scurvy.

Eating in China would be a cuisine adventure for anyone, but for Adam it’s more like truth or dare. We’re daring him to challenge the boundaries of his consumption habits – maybe by a nanometer or so. Here are Adam’s thoughts on the matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zeKpq5MX8

We want you to add your opinion! Which of the choices above do you think Adam should eat?

Check back often, we’ll keep you updated with photos from the trip. Bon Voyage, boys!
Runic Games Webmaster
Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    none of the above

go to a nice restaurant
    get something made with Chinese pepper corns
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_pepper

sort of spicy, but can have the affect of numbing the tongue, sort of like a mild case of Novocaine at the dentist

I had it on green beans, it was awesome
    I don't have a sig
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    Exoskeleton!
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • PR083PR083 Posts: 3
    I used to have a diet like that. Almost entirely breads, grains, and cheeses. Couldn't break 125 lbs. until my late 20s.

I tread a lot of water on shrimp. Eel isn't so bad, either. Eating new things with familiar things makes it easier. In his case, I'd recommend lots of rice.
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    Chicken feet with Black Bean Sauce, taste very good depending on who makes the sauce, everyone's is different

Go to one of those All you can eat big pot places where you get a boiling bowl of Spicy Chili Sauce to cook your food in; you can get a bowl of boiling water, but where's the fun in that :P

Dim Sum of course

Steamed egg with some type of worm or cricket.

Mcdonald's :P, they got some exclusive in China burgers. Think I remember seeing a lee **** kee Shrimp sauce burger :|

Eel is nothing to be afraid of.

Dog... Cat... don't get fooled into eating it, looks like any other type of meat :p
  • Deadbol7Deadbol7 Posts: 328
    Exoskeleton, please.

Unless the Donkey is some kind of Genetalia. Also, while you're there could you get him to do some counter-espionage? Google would appreciate it.
    2dtyc5t.png
  • Chicken feet is awesome! They're really soft, but kinda bony. Little bony.

But if one is a vegetarian, they really shouldn't eat cheese either, because it comes from milk, which comes from COWS.
  • Deadbol7Deadbol7 Posts: 328
    Torchwood wrote:
    But if one is a vegetarian, they really shouldn't eat cheese either, because it comes from milk, which comes from COWS.

2u5cbxt.png

YOU LIE!
    2dtyc5t.png
  • Torchwood wrote:

I do not really understand vegitarians, but I think the point is that you do not have to kill the cow to get milk. Just have to pump it full of hormones so it acts like it is perpetually pregnant and allways produces the stuff.
    Telling my life story.
  • HazeHaze Posts: 353
    Exoskeleton for sure, but if not I suppose you could go for the donkey.
    Torchwood wrote:
    Well I think it's like this, correct me if I'm wrong. Vegetarians don't eat animals but are ok with animal products, while vegans don't eat anything from animals.
    Loading signature ...
  • insects from the sea,,
    and while he eats them tap your fingers on the table really loudly (he loves that)
    sent from my iPhone through the series of tubes.
  • JBeckJBeck Posts: 424 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this needs no explanation after that video clip...but this is Adam...as in "The Sword of Adam" (AKA Sort of Adam).
    I see a Sword of Adam bonus sound pack in the future...

(maybe a damage bonus against things with exoskeletons too )
    Time and resources are realities that force tough decisions regarding our desires. - BECK
    -10 defense to cheese
    I don't have a sig
  • He can eat his sideburns. And his moustache.
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Why isn't dog on the poll? Killer mustache btw.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • I :did: see dog last time I was there. Egads!

But jellyfish and donkey were delicacies we had on the last trip - and I think Beck has tried chicken feet, so that's what we came up with. :)
  • I had a French teacher once, they liked to tell this one story. I’m just going to summarise it because I am lazy. So, she was in China with a friend. It was lunchtime so they both walked into a random restaurant they were passing. The doors leading into the kitchen were left propped open because of the heat and amount of waiters coming in and out. In the back were rows of cages with dogs in them. My teachers friend felt so bad for the puppies that she ran into the back, hunted down a semi-english speaking cook, and, planing to rescue one of the dogs, asked to purchase one. When she was told she could, she went through the cages until she found the cutest puppy. She said this one and pointed to out. The chef opened the cage, picked up the little puppy in both hands, and snapped its neck. Apparently it was common to purchase the dogs as a sort of take-out, cook at home, sort of meal. Of course, all the girls in the class flipped out and the boys just laughed.
    Telling my life story.
  • I think I just threw up a little bit.
    This is why I am glad I live in Japan... they could never eat anything they considered cute.

I have to defend horses and whales though.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • adamperinadamperin Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh hey guys and gals,

Last night when we (marsh, me, max and erick) finally landed and checked into our hotel, our hosts, perfect world, took us out for some amazing food. Some of it made me uncomfortable (not hard) but all in all there was some really great and interesting food to try. You can cross jellyfish off the list. It was interesting is the best way to put it. Far chewier than I expected. Weird chewy ocean cabage is what it felt like. And although this wasnt my favorite there was really great spicy tofu, great super spicy chicken, and we had a bowl of beefs in spicy oil like Omnifas suggested. I think me being vegetarian is going to have to take a break while being here... I dont think it is even possible... plus it would be a shame to pass up trying so many new things. :D

Cant see twitter here in china so Im not sure how the images turned out we sent but we are having a great time so far. Im off to breakfast... you think they will have pancakes ;)

-adam
    Congrats on trying Jellyfish! And good luck on trying to be vegetarian while you are over there... I've heard it's pretty difficult and most people (particularly in the country) have to give it up after a while... or at least until they get back to "civilization."
  • PR083PR083 Posts: 3
    zeidrich wrote:
    He can eat his sideburns. And his moustache.
    /signed
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    Lets see how he fairs against something with an exoskeleteon lol. Kudos on trying the jellyfish though.
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
  • SebelSebel Posts: 30
    If you guys will make a stop in Hong Kong then you should visit "Tim´s Kitchen". This little restaurant is one of the best and wicked restaurants in china (according to a german kitchen chief called Tim Raue). He recommends "(refined) dove in lotus leaves" or "silky shrimps".

And if you do so please tell me if it´s worth. :)
    KFC in China is SO MUCH better than it is in the states
    I don't have a sig
  • adamperinadamperin Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    I passed on the donkey yesterday... but who knows maybe there will be more in my future. Marsh, max, and erick had it though. soooo grooooossssss. It was wraped in donkey geletin! WHY!
  • I've had both jellyfish and chicken feet within a few blocks of our office.

Come on man, eat something exotic! I want to see you **** the brain out of a blackened chicken head and chase it with a cup of frog juice!
    You can eat monkey brains in China. That's pretty exotic.
  • BuioBuio Posts: 338
    Webbstre wrote:
    This is why I am glad I live in Japan... they could never eat anything they considered cute.

Like dolphins? :P
  • Webbstre wrote:
    You can eat monkey brains in China. That's pretty exotic.

Is it like Temple of Doom?
  • JerichJerich Posts: 1,665
    I passed on the donkey yesterday... but who knows maybe there will be more in my future. Marsh, max, and erick had it though. soooo grooooossssss. It was wraped in donkey geletin! WHY!

At least step it up and try normal Chinese food.=P I am fairly finicky too (I won't eat any shellfish or anything that reminds me of mayonnaise), but I have developed a huge taste for Chinese and Thai over the years.

- Jerich
This discussion has been closed.