Emberfiend 2.1 (updated June 2nd, 2012)

EhbEhb Posts: 70
edited June 2012 in Design
*FOR REFERENCE ONLY* A lot of the initial ideas listed here have been further developed since the time of this posting.
Okay, after about a solid week of testing and planning to see what I can and cannot actually do with the editor I have finally started construction of a crafting system for Torchlight. To create new goals, while preserving the integrity of the original gameplay, I am currently beginning with a craftable glyph system. This glyph system allows players to collect ember, infuse it with glyphs, and store spells in the glyphs. This creates a way for a player to save mana and space in the spell slots, while creating a challenge to obtain this ability. As the project grows, and with input from the community, further craftable items could be introduced. It will be a good bit of work for now just to make this stuff functional, so bear with me as I continue to develop this idea. So, moving forward, here is what the mod will actually accomplish:

Additions that are completely possible now with TorchED:
  • Nodes for new resources. As the mod develops, it is unclear how many node types there will be as of yet. I think I will fully integrate different resources, along with their accompanying craftable items, on a case by case basis. i.e. I am currently working on Ember Ore, along with everything you can possibley do with that resource once it's collected. Once that's completed, with those resources populated throughout the world, I will begin anew with a different resource type which could be used to create even newer items still.
  • Inventory items for collected resources, varying by tier
  • Recipes for combining the same resources to create higher tiers of the same resource, as well as recipes for combining different resources to create usable items
  • Spawnclasses for nodes, so that they only give specific resources

Additions that are planned, but are either not possible with TorchED or I just don't know how yet:
  • Animations to be triggered by the use of the node, much like the Fishing Holes now do. So if you clicked on some ore, you'd start swinging a pickaxe. I have dug DEEP into .xml and UI files to peg out how this can be done, but with no luck. It seems that if the UNITTYPE of a prop is 'Fishing *note:Hole' then the fishing animation will trigger, along with the fishing 'button' etc. I think this all is hardcoded, and I can't find a way to make a new UNITTYPE that will trigger a new animation/interface button. This is a huge change, and I can see where this is setting the sights pretty high. Nonetheless, it's a goal that perhaps one day can be fulfilled. note: I now have the animations triggering with the use of the node!
  • New UI panes for different craft 'workstations' that the player uses to make different types of items. For example, a forge for making metal weapons, that when clicked on opens up a slightly different window than the others. Only differences would be text really, and what types of resources could actually be used at that station.
  • Tools that will equip automatically when a node is used, like the fishing pole, and go away after the resource gathering animation is complete.

As you can see, this is quite a bit of work, but it's not all that bad. I have tested a lot of this already, and am convinced it is completely within reach. I currently have a good bit of time on my hands so I will be making progress on this mod on a daily basis (in between playing Torchlight!). Once all the nodes, resource items, recipes, etc. are functional and I am able to release this mod, further development will continue with the creation of new recipes and so on and so forth. I am working on this alone atm, so if there is anyone who would like to make a mod team with me in order to expedite this process please let me know via PM on this board. Please only contact me if you have extra time to help work on this, want to stay in touch regularly (leaving up a messenger service or something while working with TorchED), and most importantly if you have a working knowledge of TorchED. Looking forward to input about this idea, and suggestions around making it balanced and fun to use.

Comments

• EhbEhb Posts: 70
    Progress Updates:

March 15th, 2010: I have my first interactable node created, along with one resource type item and the spawnclass for it. Tested in game and dropping the desired newly created resource item. Can now use these nodes as unit triggers within TorchED, and am considering now a spawnclass for spawning the nodes themselves before I continue further to other nodes/resource items.

March 16th, 2010: I went ahead and created layouts for each Mine entrance chunk that includes the interactable nodes. These nodes drop the new item 'Ember Ore,' which will be used as a crafting resource. This presented a problem in itself with my approach because if a folder holds more than one chunk, and the new layouts (even though they were created seperately via layout links from each chunk) are in a new 'merge' folder ALL the chunks will show ALL the newly created layouts. Surely there is a way I can merge 'per chunk'? Please someone give me a clue here, the nodes are fully functional and drop what they should etc. I can elaborate further on this issue if needed.

Aside from that little speedbump, today has proven fruitful in the 'brainstorming' department. This guy, AlteredTomorrow, casually requested a portal stone type item similar to the one used in Titan Quest. Well, based off this concept I developed a different approach towards this and a wonderful way to make a crafting system actually interesting for Torchlight. Here's the original post: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11176&p=107023#p107023 Here is more details on the glyph system I am currently creating, quoting part of my post from that thread:
    Ehb wrote:
    You know, now that I've looked further into it I would like to develop your idea into part of the crafting mod I am currently making. The idea would be to make these glyphs craftable by collectable resources in game. The glyph system I am currently working on would let you store spells in glyphs that you could use so many times before the glyph faded. This would allow players to preserve mana, but work for the ability to do so. This could also free up a spell slot ;) Anyways, I know it's a mod request but I will be sure to give you a special thanks with the release of my crafting mod!

Anyways, I'm updating my original post to reflect new ideas :) I have the sample glyph working now in game that can be used to repeatedly cast Town Portal. A lot of tedious work now ahead to make recipes and a few more items, etc...but this powerful editor really is making my job easier than I could have imagined! I'll keep the updates coming.
    March 17th, 2010:Quick update, it's a busy day for me so I'm rushed right now. If I have time this evening I will be ready to show off some screenshots of my current v.0.7 build of the Torchlight Crafting mod. I haven't really come up with a clever name for the entire mod yet, but it'll come!

New additions, working in game:
    • Ember Ore node
    • Ancient Stone node
    • Ember Ore, Dim Ember Ore, Glowing Ember Ore, Bright Ember Ore, Ancient Stone, Stone Slabs - socketable items, with fully functioning transmuting abilities. i.e. Ember Ore combines to make Dim Ember Ore and so on. They all work, all the way up to:
    • The Glyph of Town Portal - Combines Bright Ember Ore, Stone Slab, and Town Portal Scroll (may change to Spell) to make a glyph that holds 20 charges of Town Portal. I'm assuming future spell glyphs will need to hold more charges. I want this to balance well so these are worked for and not just given to players.
    • Alchemist Table - This table will eventually spawn in town to reward a player for following a crafting-based questline. This table is essentially a 'bragging rights' reward that allows you to click on it and it pops up a working transmute window as if it were the transmuter. It doesn't stop there; although it will take a player some time to earn the table, I have other rewards in development for long-term crafting based quest rewards...these rewards are every bit as interesting!

edit: Oh, and by the way I just thought I'd mention that I have taken the uttermost care in ensuring that none of the base files have been edited at all. In addition, for the most part this mod will use resources already available to the engine just scattered around all wierd! This means, in a nutshell, that the mod won't alter any files in your mod directory and all the content is new layout files etc. designed to 'merge' with your current game config. This should make the mod pretty compatible with about anything else, in addition to granting lots of features with little file size ;)

There you have it, workflow has been good for me and I am striving ever closer towards a beta release of the mod. More to come!
    As promised here are some screenshots of the stuff I've been working on. Sorry they aren't that high of quality, I just used a free FRAPS to grab 'em. Remember, don't look if you want to just install the mod and follow the crafting quest storyline to discover these things for the first time! Sorry for double posting, for some reason every time I post and the post gets too long the text editor window starts jumping back and forth all wierd-like /shrug. Anyways, enjoy!

Okay here is an Ember Ore node, clickable to drop the resource:
    torchlight2010031720254.th.png

Here is the ore on the ground once the node has been used:
    torchlight2010031720262.th.png

Once it's picked up, here's the actual item in the player inventory:
    torchlight2010031720264.th.png

The alchemist table, rewarded through crafting questline:
    This is a quest reward for following the crafting quest chain I am currently working on. It is the first of many planned rewards, and is clickable to pop up a 'Transmute' window!
    torchlight2010031720271.th.png

Here is what you see when you click the table, just like the NPC. In use here with 3 Ember Ore:
    torchlight2010031720275.th.png

And finally, here is the Town Portal Glyph (the first of many):
    torchlight2010031720302.th.png
    March 18th, 2010:Some major progress made to make the mod more workable and integrated into Torchlight without disturbing the gameplay. The biggest step I've taken is to introduce:

Emberfiend, the friendly Ratman! This is a questgiver who will eventually join and follow the player, fighting just like any good companion would! Again, the crafting questline must be followed to benefit from this reward. Here's a screenshot displaying it's compatibility with Brink so that, yes, you can have both Brink and Emberfiend in tow and fighting with you! Notice that I went ahead and equipped some custom weapons on Emberfiend so that you could tell it wasn't a mob 8-)
    emberfiend.th.png

Beyond this, steps along the questline have been filled in and work fine; complete with the quest items spawning when they should and whatnot. Starting to filter in 'Tools' to the recipe mix so that tool items will be needed for certain recipes as well. Rounding off questline is one major priority for now, followed directly by a logical rework of the node spawnclass system. Slowly, the vision is beginning to come into fruition. On a side note, I have been considering naming the mod 'Emberfiend' after the friendly ratman addition. We shall see...said the blind men!
  • zebramattzebramatt Posts: 275
    Looks interesting, fo' sho'.
    This project has grown to massive proportions, and that's not a bad thing at all really. I can honestly not even believe how awesome this game engine and toolset is. For the first time, I have been able to fully grasp a game's engine and express myself fully. All hail Runic Games!

March 23rd, 2010:Really starting to dig deep into the editor now, and blowing through logical problems in order to bring together a mod that we all deserve for this game. This mod will not, say, throw you a bunch of superman powers or produce something just because it can be produced. Nope, this mod aims to prolong the longevity of this game in the hearts and souls of those who play it. I am excited to inform that a good majority of my base 'assets' have been created and work in-game now. There are many, many surprises and at this rate of workflow I'd like to keep a lot of those as surprises. I honestly think many of you will thank me for that later.

So what's going on then?

Well, most of this project has been rewarding in and of itself as I challenge myself further and further with the engine. As I explore further, boundaries that were previously there are being broken. Want companions, no problem. But they're not on a scroll. Nope, they are integrated into the framework of 'Emberfiend' to provide a robust and enriched sense of them playing a role in the game. The term framework is what I have been considering my work up to this point, as I am creating a crafting system, questlines, and several things that just aren't in the game right now. The 'Emberfiend' mod will give players more things to do, more things to do them with, more companions to share the glory, and last but not least great and original rewards that simply scream 'Torchlight owns!'
    Whoa! That sounds like a lot of stuff for one guy!

Yep, it really is but it hasn't hampered my productivity much. The challenge seems to drive me forward, and as I realize more and more just how simple this editor makes things the more I can get done. Good job on the editor, it has its little bugs but wow it's amazing Runic. I've been losing a good bit of sleep with it, that's for sure :) So yep, just wanted to keep everyone posted on this mod. It's definately still a [WIP] and it's definately still being developed. The 'Emberfiend' mod is approaching a Tier I beta stage soon enough, and I believe any mod will only be as good as people like it or want it to be.

Therefore, I will be taking feedback on issues like quest-flow, resource spawns, availability, value, all that. Please, please, speak up when the beta is out so that everyone can benefit from 'Emberfiend'. In exchange I will deliver on some mod goodness, and am planning a segmented series on how some of the parts of 'Emberfiend' were created. I think it would be a great resource for everyone.

Beta? what Beta?
    As of this posting there is not an expected release date for the beta. I have family coming into town this weekend and I don't see them much since they live across the country. That will delay my progress some, as we share in the joys we've missed, but I can give everyone somewhat of an idea of what to expect. The Beta will consist of the first 'Tier' of stuff that's been added. Basically, all the goodies up to the crypts and even somewhat mixing into the crypts some will be revealed. That's resources, recipes, companions (yes plural), tools, questlines, spawnclasses, all woven together to flow with the existing game in a way as not to disturb the 'Ehb' (pun fully intended hehe) and flow of such a wonderfully put together game to begin with. Cheers to all from 'Emberfiend', the mod's adopted mascot.
  • SetaripSetarip Posts: 32
    Awesome job man, I can actually see this as a possiblility in a Torchlight MMO game for the crafting process. What about being able to craft certain socketable gems to be able to add to weapons/gear?
    Setarip wrote:
    What about being able to craft certain socketable gems to be able to add to weapons/gear?

Thank you so much, it's quite the task. That sounds like a great idea, and surely it can be implemented. That would not be difficult at all. Currently I am zooming along on the 'framework' and once it's in place all those other crafting possibilities will be as simple as some added items/recipes etc. Yes, this mod will end up having all sorts of crafting paths to go on. As the project develops, the more craftable items the better!
    Setarip wrote:
    Awesome job man, I can actually see this as a possiblility in a Torchlight MMO game for the crafting process.

You ain't seen nothin' yet :P Gear up boys, it's gonna be a long haul!
    March 31st, 2010: Okay, just a quick update since my family's in town and I'm pretty busy with trips to the mountain, downtown, and whatnot. To keep everyone in the 'loop' just wanted to go ahead and list some of the features that will be included in the upcoming Beta release of Emberfiend:

To be included with Emberfiend Beta release:(eta-probably within a couple weeks.)

Quests that lead up to 'unlocking' companions. Once unlocked, a companion will be available to recruit or drop as wanted, without the use of a scroll. This will be done by greeting the character and 'accepting' it, or returning the character to its 'home' location. This will make more sense when players finally experience the mod.

Additional stashboxes, strategically placed to assist with crafting. Again, this will come to light and be obvious why the stashes are there once they are found. The idea was to add them as needed, and not just to add them.

A bottomless dungeon (first of quite a few planned) for excavating. Tied in with the 'Emberfiend' storyline, the first unlocked dungeon will be released with the beta. This dungeon will offer a place for players to 'mine' for Ember Ore, and a little less Ancient Stone (since Ancient Stone is supposed to be a little bit higher tiered resource).

A new merchant, that has to be unlocked, that sells tools. This little guy will be very useful to adventurers seeking to expand their horizons by crafting.

A new NPC in town, who offers quests that ultimately lead to new recruitable companions. Yep, that's right. This guy will become available to players once they have defeated the first boss. From there, it just gets really cool to be able to quest and end up with a new guy who will fight with you. Again, you will be able to drop the companions and re-recruit once they have been unlocked.

Tools, Resources, Spawnclasses, Workbenches (used to craft things), Recipes. yeah, there are lots and lots of things that are necessary to make this system work correctly, so be prepared to learn a lot about this new crafting system :D

NPC that will allow you to use his enchantment shrine, once you learn how to use it... Some things in the 'Emberfiend' mod are a little harder to come by. That is because they are very useful to the right crafter. This NPC will help you learn the art of enchantment, and with the correct resources players will be able to enchant items themselves. This will still be random enchantments, specific ones will not be released in Tier I beta.

That's pretty much most of the mod content so far. Once players are introduced to the system and how it works, it should beome apparent how and where I will be expanding further on this system. It's a ton of work, and I lose a lot of sleep to bring you all this mod. Workflow is slow this week as my family visits, but I am hoping for a beta release of Tier I content within the next couple weeks. Cheers! The only thing that would change the release estimate at this time would be if I decide to add some other cool feature.

I don't expect to do that right now, since the continued development after this beta release will be strongly influenced by player feedback. This way everyone can enjoy the mod the way it should be for us all!
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention it: I'm not sure if he'll make the cut for the first beta or not, but there will be a 'priest' type recruitable character included with Emberfiend!
    How much of this project, percentage wise is actually completed? I've been following your WIP and so far it seems like a large under taking but I am looking forward to the beta as I still play Torchlight. If there is a TL 2 will you attempt to make a release of this for that version also?
    Setarip wrote:
    How much of this project, percentage wise is actually completed? I've been following your WIP and so far it seems like a large under taking but I am looking forward to the beta as I still play Torchlight. If there is a TL 2 will you attempt to make a release of this for that version also?

The features listed above are almost all fully completed at this time for the beta release. Play-tested, working in-game, etc. The further development, i.e: more resources, recipes, etc. will follow the same type of guidelines but those will be developed around player feedback. See, this beta is 'Tier I' so there are a lot of other additions I have planned that are not even mentioned here. It's just such a great game and engine I can't help but be inspired. I've waited a long time for THIS game to come, and now that it has found me I cannot bear to let the opportunity pass me by. This mod is a fun project that allows me to dig deeper and deeper into the possibilities of this engine/editor, nothing more nothing less. I love the engine, I love the editor, and have this mod planned for Torchlight only at this time. Of course, player feedback will determine how much of a future the mod will have. I enjoy working on this stuff, so yeah I'd go further if there was a want for it. Time will tell :D
    Have you tested any of this yet with other mods?
  • kvdkkvdk Posts: 321
    Setarip wrote:
    you seen the size of this mod? >_>

if there are compatibility problems, its upto the smaller mods to release compatible versions...

it would be like saying the Ancient (tier 3) mod should include versions of all the custom items people have >_>
    dgckdcgecmb.png
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    This is making me drool. I seriously can't wait for this to be available for download....even if it's only in beta form. I'd be more than happy to help test! AWESOME looking work so far....it's stuff like this that really makes me appreciate the awesome modders that are out there. Bravo!
    ItfooQF.png
    Setarip wrote:

I have not had any mods installed into my /mods directory while creating 'Emberfiend', so no I cannot guarantee its compatibility with any other mod. However, the brilliance that is Runic Games set us up with a pretty failsafe mod system if it's used correctly. For the most part, any mod can be created by 'merging' the mod data with existing information...unless that mod actually replaces files present in your Torchlight installation folders. So yeah, unless the mods are merging the same files or merging files that will alter the same information as this mod...we should be okay :)
    kvdk wrote:
    you seen the size of this mod? >_>
    kvdk wrote:
    if there are compatibility problems, its upto the smaller mods to release compatible versions...

it would be like saying the Ancient (tier 3) mod should include versions of all the custom items people have >_>

This is all very flattering, but humble as I am I couldn't expect every mod author to cater their mod to Emberfiend's specifications. I am hopeful that most mods will work with Emberfiend simply by my careful use of merging. The Emberfiend mod does not alter any graph information or experience gain % or any of that. It adds a lot of content, but it does so by use of a TON of text information. That text information tells your Torchlight install how to use the assets you have installed in a different way. The actual filesize of the mod as of yet is not that big. I can see it growing in size later on with additions of new icons etc. but for now we're re-using old ones :D
    Zidders wrote:
    This is making me drool. I seriously can't wait for this to be available for download....even if it's only in beta form. I'd be more than happy to help test! AWESOME looking work so far....it's stuff like this that really makes me appreciate the awesome modders that are out there. Bravo!

Thanks! I will try to not keep you waiting too terribly long. In beta form even, I am trying to deliver a quality piece of work you can enjoy while the rest is being developed.
    Ehb wrote:
    This is all very flattering, but humble as I am I couldn't expect every mod author to cater their mod to Emberfiend's specifications. I am hopeful that most mods will work with Emberfiend simply by my careful use of merging. The Emberfiend mod does not alter any graph information or experience gain % or any of that. It adds a lot of content, but it does so by use of a TON of text information. That text information tells your Torchlight install how to use the assets you have installed in a different way. The actual filesize of the mod as of yet is not that big. I can see it growing in size later on with additions of new icons etc. but for now we're re-using old ones :D

your mod adds a whole new system to the game, and by the looks of it, its going to be huge even when you first release it...

there are only a few mods with a big effect on what the game does...

and the result simply is, that those mods only gotta try and be compatible with eachother, because the people creating the smaller mods have a much easier job releasing versions to work with the 5 or so big mods, then the other way around
    dgckdcgecmb.png
    Yeah, right on man. I'm thinking I misunderstood your use of 'huge'. Yeah, I'm hoping it'll be huge in the sense that people enjoy it a lot and a lot of people feel it's a welcome addition to the game.

You're right though, it would be murder for me to attempt any sort of overhaul to Emberfiend in order to make it work with anything else in particular. For now, I am hopeful, and let's hope that there aren't too many mods that will conflict.
    Ehb wrote:
    Yeah, right on man. I'm thinking I misunderstood your use of 'huge'. Yeah, I'm hoping it'll be huge in the sense that people enjoy it a lot and a lot of people feel it's a welcome addition to the game.

You're right though, it would be murder for me to attempt any sort of overhaul to Emberfiend in order to make it work with anything else in particular. For now, I am hopeful, and let's hope that there aren't too many mods that will conflict.
    my use of huge here was in terms of how much this would affect the game content wise...

and compaired to most mods, this is prolly third or fourth place...
    dgckdcgecmb.png
    April 10th, 2010:

Okay guys, great news to give! Gonna make this update quick, just be it known that my silence here usually means good things in the editor and in store for Emberfiend. I have made some huge discoveries about how certain elements work in the editor so be ready for camera movement in certain places. I use this much like the game does now, to show important things etc. Fun stuff!

Probably the biggest update since my last posting would be that I finally figured out how to animate stuff on demand, so I've got some interactable nodes now. This will only get better, and I even have some nodes that repopulate themselves to be used again! It's all very exciting, yet I am glad I am releasing this in waves. If I did not, the entire mod would not be done for awhile.

At this time I am polishing some questlines, reworking some elements of the new dungeon, and adding some additional spawnclasses/units that will help the beta release go smoother. Cheers!
    April 15th, 2010:

Alright, just returned from an unplanned spur of the moment 2 day hiking trip with my wife. It was great, I'm recharged, and have coffee in hand so that I can get this beta out as soon as possible! I have a few bugs I definately need addressed before release, and additionally plan to type up a few helpful documents that should help the transition into Emberfiend go more smoothly. I haven't forgotten my original release estimate, just couldn't pass up a couple days with just my wife and mother nature. Cheers!
  • nice thing you're doing with the nodes, I like your idea of adding interactable resources; I'm in love with the idea of harvesting ore like fishing, with animations and all. I do think the animation sets are hard coded since modifying or removing entries in the dat files still makes those animations be preserved ( i tried swapping the walk animation with the idle animation of a char once but didnt work, both through the dat and the skeleton animation.) Perhaps the animation name is in the .skeleton files, so might try a hex editor to look for clues.
    Torched Templates:
    Map Merchant ; Random Talking NPC ;
    Rashnu's Tear Dungeon @ viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14861
    @ http://vrkmods.viviti.com/
    nice thing you're doing with the nodes, I like your idea of adding interactable resources; I'm in love with the idea of harvesting ore like fishing, with animations and all.

Thanks, making the nodes interactive was not easy. At least it wasn't very easy when I had to reverse-engineer the animation sequences to make it work. All the fishing holes were pointing to a layout of the node that controlled the animation, so there was little to no hope of finding that original layout. Nonetheless, we've got it now :D
    I do think the animation sets are hard coded since modifying or removing entries in the dat files still makes those animations be preserved ( i tried swapping the walk animation with the idle animation of a char once but didnt work, both through the dat and the skeleton animation.) Perhaps the animation name is in the .skeleton files, so might try a hex editor to look for clues.

I wouldn't worry too much with it if I were you, old buddy :D Emberfiend's beta is just over the horizon now, and once it's out modders will have a template to base other nodes off of etc. It takes a working knowledge of layouts, logic groups, triggers, unit creation, you name it. There's a lot of different things that will come together to make an interactive node work. I'd suggest you read the plethora of information that I reveal with Emberfiend to get this right, it should save you lots of trouble and guessing. I am planning on introducing some tutorials around the interesting things that Emberfiend does, so that all modders can unite and benefit from some of the 'ground I have broken'. Much of anything a modder has planned is largely possible inside of TorchED, it's the way of thinking that needs to be altered to allow the mod to be successful.
    April 21st, 2010:Well guys, I ended missing my estimated beta release already by about a week. Allow me to apologize for the delay, and follow up with some great news. The majority of the delay has been due to two HUGE additions to the mod, and it's functionality. Emberfiend is a wonderful mod (I daresay expansion), and I have decided to stick to my guns as I finish rounding off the beta and be sure the added material is quality. Rest assured that a minimal delay now will inevitably result in maximum achievement in the very near future.

So just to keep everyone in the know about the mod's progress...and in suspense... expect to find that the town of Torchlight has grown to include Lower Torchlight! Within Lower Torchlight you'll find the first usable 'Forge' and 'Anvil'. There is an Alchemy Table available as well, closer up towards 'normal' town. The area is ripe with resources, and some NPC's to assist in obtaining crafting knowledge. There's a good bit more involved with Lower Torchlight, like portals that lead to convenient crafter's locations :) The beta will not unlock all of these, but you will get an opportunity in the beta to experience this progression early on.

Some recipes are being reworked, and more actually craftable items are in the works. I am nearing 'Tier I Beta' status with recipe content, so that's great news. One major change has been made to the resources, as the resources themselves will no longer be socketable. However, players who participate in crafting gain the chance to get extra gem drops from mining resources. These are bonus drops that happen less frequently than the primary resource, so that if you are mining stone it may give you a gem sometimes. Even farther, so far the 'cold' and 'hot' gems have been added to the mix so that if you learn how you can make any type of item with a specific 'cold' or 'hot' affix. The list goes on; this mod is hugomongous! Well, I'm back off to work more on it...keep your eyes peeled...
    SOOOOOOOOO looking forward to your MOD
    Setarip wrote:
    SOOOOOOOOO looking forward to your MOD

Thanks so much, it means a lot to me. I have literally lost a ton of sleep working on this for hours and hours at a shot. I can't really explain it, I just really dig this toolset, game, and the whole mix. I hope, deep inside my heart and soul, that this mod will in some sort of way help to push this game forward and assist in strengthening the community around the possibilites of this editor. This mod is about what's due, and to whom it's due. It's time we gave a little back to our devs, and from all the efforts it's taken for me to singlehandedly put all this together I only wish that it can help lighten their load. I guess help to show everyone more about what this game can do, and strengthen the faith of the community in that hard working team over there. I'm gonna save my little nerdrage speech for BETA release, but yeah there's a lot for this old school gamer that drives this mod. It WILL be released as BETA soon, and then supported, and then expanded upon. Get used to it, Emberfiend is here to stay at this point. I've become attached to it, and I do believe others will as well. That's always the plan with a mod though, right?

Anyways, thanks for the support man. The good news for you, brother, is that I 'feel' very close to the BETA upload and will be working through the night tonight to push this thing forward. There are several aspects of the game that have to come together to allow Emberfiend to work, and in introducing such a huge change it is very necessary for the 'front end' of the mod to work well. That frontend, unfortunately, is not so abstract and there are new challenges and goals to face at every turn of weaving the mod into the game. I'm very glad I took the time to work through all those frustrations with the editor; I feel I have a very strong working knowledge of the game's core abilities etc. at this point. So yeah, you can expect NPC's around to help you learn stuff about this new system. You'll have quests to help guide you along a path of crafting knowledge to get the basics down. There will be recruitable and droppable companions, complete with the frontend to make it work smoothly. Alrighty then, I'm off to fire up that coffee pot!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    This and the Decimator are probably the two mods that will most likely get me back into this game. As much as I love Torchlight, there's a lot of potential to it, but in the gameplay department, it's really limited, as far as content goes. Add to the fact that I don't seem to be very good at modding..oh, there's still a lot I can do, but I can't do all the stuff i'd really LIKE to do..things like 3-d modeling and helping make new areas and such, ones that are completely new tilesets and all that. Something like this would be way out of my league...and if it's even half as awesome as it sounds, it's going to drag people back to the game. From the sound of it, one of the things people loved most about Mythos was its crafting system.

Kudos to you man. When this comes out, I'll be making sure to spread the word about it. I feel the same way you do about the devs...it would be nice to help push this game more. I've already helped a little....90% of the friends on my 50 or so strong friends list have bought Torchlight simply because they saw me playing it, asked about it, and I gushed to them about it and pushed them to get it. Got em to do it before all the Steam sales, too...MUAHAHAHAHA!
    ItfooQF.png
  • LukongLukong Posts: 44
    Awesome, I was kind of getting tired of the red one.
    Funny this is like dangling meat in front of lions
    May 1st, 2010:Okies everyone, first and foremost allow me to apologize to any who may be anxiously awaiting the BETA release of Emberfiend. New developments lead to new bugs, while new developments lead to a better Torchlight! In addition, there is a HUGE amount of time, energy, and daily challenge that comes along with development of a mod of this caliber. Understanding that, also understand that I am a husband and a father who very much enjoys his time off on the mountains during the summer with his family ;)

Anyways, I'm going to go ahead and unmask the layout plan for 'New Torchlight' so that anyone interested in the craft mod can have a sample of what is to come. I will explain each aspect of the mod once the BETA hits, but for now it's best that development continues as a whole to round off the first 'phase' of the BETA. I decided to take a little time out to give this small preview, but rest assured I am working diligently on the development of Torchlight's crafting system. I'm considering the map below a huge spoiler, and especially don't click the thumbnail if you want to enjoy the mod for the first time in-game! If you do not know anything at all about the system, the NPC's and whatnot in game should gradually expose and 'teach' you each aspect shown in this map. That is one of the many ways I am integrating Emberfiend into Torchlight as an expansion-type mod that seems to just belong, almost as if it were vanilla.

Okay, so we all know and love the town of Torchlight:

editor2010050100153057.th.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But let us imagine a Torchlight that goes beyond its current limitations, allowing us to interact with the world around town. What a wonder it would be to mine the prescious Ember Ore for ourselves, and share in the wealth of the Arden Mines:

newtorchlight.th.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ehb's Map of Torchlight:This map shows the content to be introduced with the Tier I BETA, with short yet concise information on each aspect of the material. I will attempt to answer questions about the map, and btw the yellow dotted paths just show the new available paths a player can take from town. Just to the left of the waypoint portal is a new bridge that will lead below to Lower Torchlight. Off to the right of this you will see another path that weaves out of Torchlight's graveyard off into the woods. This map shows the introductory resources that players will learn to harvest and use. As players advance as crafters by creating items and completing quests, higher tiered resources will be unlocked and revealed. One such example is demonstrated on this map, the harvestable trees. Initially, players will only find 'salvaged lumber'. Only later on will they learn how to harvest lumber and become true craftsmen/women. Again, there will be many things to introduce with this release, but I will try to help everyone to make sense of it all by providing a small database of information in post form here at Runic Games Forums. Thanks to the Forum Admins for giving us a place to chill and share all this stuff!