normal/boss minion based drop system?

deeminllamadeeminllama Posts: 9
edited April 2010 in Design
Hi.

Don't have the editor yet. That is why i'm here though to hear if it is worth it to download for my idea. This being as follow:

Huge Diablo 2 fan so I love the idea of random drops. What I don't like though is 'n stupid little zombie minnion dropping me an awesome set item. This does not always make "sense" to me :)

What would be great for me if drops where not only level based but also character based. I.e. your usual monsters drop white and blue (magic) items and your boss monsters (Orange names) drop set, unique, rare etc. Is it possible to adjust the items spawned by characters so that it works this way?

I think that this would be especially good for Torchlight for it would add to what is allready there: instead of going after the boss monsters for fame only you are now also encouraged to do so becuase you know he is carrying a few rare or set items - cause thats how he rose above his fellow minions and became a boss in the first place ;)

so, normal monsters drop white and blue items whilst boss monsters drop set and unique etc. items.

is such a thing possible?
both within Torchlight and with the editor?

any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• kvdkkvdk Posts: 321
    Hi.

Don't have the editor yet. That is why i'm here though to hear if it is worth it to download for my idea. This being as follow:

Huge Diablo 2 fan so I love the idea of random drops. What I don't like though is 'n stupid little zombie minnion dropping me an awesome set item. This does not always make "sense" to me :)

What would be great for me if drops where not only level based but also character based. I.e. your usual monsters drop white and blue (magic) items and your boss monsters (Orange names) drop set, unique, rare etc. Is it possible to adjust the items spawned by characters so that it works this way?

I think that this would be especially good for Torchlight for it would add to what is allready there: instead of going after the boss monsters for fame only you are now also encouraged to do so becuase you know he is carrying a few rare or set items - cause thats how he rose above his fellow minions and became a boss in the first place ;)

so, normal monsters drop white and blue items whilst boss monsters drop set and unique etc. items.

is such a thing possible?
    both within Torchlight and with the editor?

any feedback on this would be much appreciated.
    you would have to rewrite all the spawnclasses for drops, and spend hours getting them right, but yes, it is possible...
    dgckdcgecmb.png
  • thx for the response. much appreciated.

another thing i was wondering about was the enchanting: is there any way i can stop him from ADDING echantments. i.e. he only works with what the item allready has and simply boosts that? i like this idea due to numerous reasons which i can explain if neccissary. i saw for example in some of the enchant mods that you can adjust the number of enchant slots per type of item but can you stop the enhanter from going beyond these?

is there a simple line i could imput there or do i need the entire editor to create my own mod?

the reason i'm asking this is becuase i just don't have the extra cap available to download the editor right now - live in south africa. so i want to make shure it is worth it when i do.

therefore, once again, any responses would be appreciated.

thanks
  • kvdkkvdk Posts: 321
    thx for the response. much appreciated.

another thing i was wondering about was the enchanting: is there any way i can stop him from ADDING echantments. i.e. he only works with what the item allready has and simply boosts that? i like this idea due to numerous reasons which i can explain if neccissary. i saw for example in some of the enchant mods that you can adjust the number of enchant slots per type of item but can you stop the enhanter from going beyond these?

is there a simple line i could imput there or do i need the entire editor to create my own mod?

the reason i'm asking this is becuase i just don't have the extra cap available to download the editor right now - live in south africa. so i want to make shure it is worth it when i do.

therefore, once again, any responses would be appreciated.

thanks
    i dont think so, the enchanting system works by selecting from a list of predefined "bonusses" and simply combines those with the existing ones...
    there is not really much "intelligence" in the game, simply to make it easy to modify...
    dgckdcgecmb.png
  • LukongLukong Posts: 44
    Best idea ever, I hope it get created, cremated and spread throughout the forum
    Funny this is like dangling meat in front of lions