Emberfiend 2.3

EhbEhb Posts: 70
edited August 2013 in Mod Showcase
Emberfiend 2.3

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=864

Special thanks to Phanjam for setting up this page for the Emberfiend Manual:

https://workflowy.com/shared/d159b958-8694-648a-7f88-fe95e5a541d5

party_pic_e8T.pngnew_companions_4oW.png

Welcome to the next installment of Emberfiend! Emberfiend adds expanded areas around the town of Torchlight, companions, and a versatile crafting system. Expanded areas include 2 new town areas, 3 randomly generated mini-dungeons, an outside area (Upper Wilds), 2 tavern areas, and a small Library area for another method of travel between Torchlight and Lower Torchlight. There are currently 14 companions, recruitable from the taverns, who are randomly generated upon entering the tavern. The crafting system is extensive, and includes several additions such as: interactive resource nodes for gathering, NPC merchants for recipes, interactive crafting stations, icons, enchanting and disenchanting items. There are also some additional quests.

Features:
  • Crafting system: Emberfiend adds a diverse crafting system to Torchlight. Players can create Magical Weapons using Recipes and gathered resources (creating normal weapons is meaningless, lol). Rare Weapons,Armor, and Trinkets are created through enchanting, so a player could make a Magic weapon and enchant it to make it Rare.
    • Interactive Resource Nodes: There are resource nodes that allow you to click on them, and the game camera focuses in to watch your character hit the node a couple times before dropping a valuable resource!
    • Interactive Crafting Stations: You can click on a Forge, Alchemist's Table, or Cauldron to have one item crafted out of another!
    • Enchantment and Disenchantment of items with resources gathered. You can either transmute a Magic Weapon, Armor, or Trinket with a Cosmic Dust to make a Rare Weapon,Armor, or Trinket , or use the Enchantment Shrine in town with a Refined Ember to Enhance gear! You can transmute a Magic or Rare Weapon, Armor, or Trinket with an Astral Dust (combine 4 Cosmic Dust) to get a Unique!
  • Expanded Area around Torchlight: There are 3 main zones connected with the town of Torchlight: Lower Torchlight, the Upper Wilds, and the Library. Lower Torchlight is the crafting outskirts of Torchlight, where you can find an Alchemy Table and Forge for specific crafting needs. Also directly connected to Torchlight's graveyard is a small area with a reusable Enchantment Shrine...with the right resource. The Library is an alternate means of travel from Torchlight to Lower Torchlight. Deepholm has been added as well, an underground city of goblins and ratkin!
    • Tavern: The Torchlight Tavern has been opened for business again! This adds an entrance to the Tavern in the middle of town, where adventurers can find random companions!
    • The Deep Mines: The Deep Mines is a bottomless dungeon in which the creatures drop healthy amounts of resources for crafting. 'Deep' enemies don't give xp, but here and there other creatures who haven't been corrupted by the deep still do.
  • 2 new Mini-Dungeons: 2 small random dungeons for doing repeatable quests for bloodstone.
  • Healing Shrines: There is an added Healing Shrine in town right under where you Town Portal into Torchlight, and another inside the Tavern.
  • Companions: There are 14 companions with this installment of Emberfiend.  4 unlockable ones, and 10 that you can recruit in taverns or in Deephaven. Companions in Emberfiend you meet in your travels, and do not summon by use of a scroll.
  • Quests: Quests lead adventurers to new companions, so that once completed the companion related to that questline is unlocked for recruitment. There is a repeatable in Deephaven that rewards players with bloodstone for creating socketables.
  • Useables:Tomes and Glyphs are able to be placed on your hotkey bar, so that you may use the spells on them while not using up your character's 'learned spell' slots!
    • Tomes(25 charges) can be created by combining a 20 stack of Identify or Town Portal scrolls, or 4 of the spell (currently only Identify and Town Portal Tomes).
    • Glyphs(50 charges) can be crafted with resources.
    • Cooked Fish are edible versions of the original fish, which are a little bit weaker than healing potions. (There are only currently a few of these in the mod for low leveled characters. The entire cooking system may change in a future release.)
  • Icons: 37 new icons, most of which were HAND DRAWN by yours truly! Bag of Coal icon courtesy of Phanjam!
  • Compatibility:Emberfiend doesn't alter or tamper with any of the normal (vanilla) classes, abilities, layouts, or assets in general in any way. Emberfiend is carefully crafted such that it merges properly with other mods. As of the time of this posting, I haven't found a mod that doesn't work with it yet!

Future Plans:
  • Transfer Emberfiend's assets to Torchlight II!
  • Rework/additions to cooked fish and the cooking system.
  • A Tome/Glyph for every spell (currently just Identify, Town Portal, and first 3 tiers of Elemental Resistance and Elemental Overload on glyphs)
  • Extensions on the Tavern, including more companions.
  • A dungeon leading down from the Crypt area in Lower Torchlight and the Temple area of the Upper Wilds.
  • More quests and questlines.
  • Some additional icons.

I would appreciate any feedback on improving the features of the mod. PM me here, or find me around Runic Games Fansite Forums. Particularly feedback around the value of the new items would be appreciated as most are just priced really low for availability. Ideas to make things better? New NPCs? Whatever? Enjoy the mod I look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

• kvdkkvdk Posts: 321
    my anti-virus gives a trojan alert for the whole torchlit.net site..

mind uploading the mod somewhere else so i can download it?
    dgckdcgecmb.png
  • EhbEhb Posts: 70
    kvdk wrote:
    my anti-virus gives a trojan alert for the whole torchlit.net site..

mind uploading the mod somewhere else so i can download it?

Sure 8-) Added an additional download link to my original post. It is now hosted at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchl ... s/node/574, which appears to be a wonderful mod upload location. It shares the common goal of strengthening our community, and I believe that this particular site was created by a player as well. Thanks to Webbstre!
    okay, i installed the mod, and here are my notes about it:

- It does NOT work with existing savegames, they will loose all the content in their personal stashes!
    - It is compatible with most mods out there, although the "ShadowVault Elevator" puts its NPC right before one of the entrances to the extra area (you can walk past him though)
    - Loading time for town will become A WHOLE LOT longer because of this, about 3x as long as normally
    - no matter where i looked, i cant find a pickaxe, maybe its best if you move the "sales" NPC into the town itself

Also, the design of your expansion is kinda chaotic, everything is all over the place, maybe you should look over your design of the extra area again...

currently you have a lot of unneeded walking in the surrounding areas...

also, i would "lock" the deep mine area from being entered by low level players, to prevent them from dying in there...
    (at low lvls, you die almost instantly)

overal, the mod looks pretty good, but maybe you could use the cliffside tileset to make the extra area fit in better with the rest of town?
    dgckdcgecmb.png
    - Loading time for town will become A WHOLE LOT longer because of this, about 3x as long as normally

:D A small price to pay for interactable nodes and craftable items, imo. In addition, personally I haven't experienced anything close to 3x as long of load times into town. Perhaps the first time I loaded up the mod, but future town ports didn't seem to be that different /shrug
    - no matter where i looked, i cant find a pickaxe, maybe its best if you move the "sales" NPC into the town itself

The pickaxe was supposed to be kind of 'wanted' until you find and rescue the Old Boss. There are 3 NPC's that sell them, 2 in town and the Old Boss in Dank Chamber. You'll need to unlock him, but there is a Troll that will appear in Lower Torchlight once you unlock the Troll companion.
    Also, the design of your expansion is kinda chaotic, everything is all over the place, maybe you should look over your design of the extra area again...

currently you have a lot of unneeded walking in the surrounding areas...

Did you actually play the whole mod? There is A LOT of stuff that is not visible or understood on initial load. You will not see/ experience all of this mod content until a little bit after defeating the 2nd boss (crypt) Stuff unlocks as you go, and you'll find that there isn't much space at all really that doesn't have nodes or something useful there... The temple up top will have a dungeon entrance, and both the temple up top and the lower tomb are 'excavatable' for resources but only once you get an excavator's tome.
    also, i would "lock" the deep mine area from being entered by low level players, to prevent them from dying in there...
    (at low lvls, you die almost instantly)

It currently is locked until after the defeat of the first boss, as intended. Is it too tough? If so, I'll go ahead and weaken the mobs some.
  • UndeadgamerUndeadgamer Posts: 55
    It has been a couple months since I've played Torchlight; I went ahead and supported the developers even more by buying myself a boxed copy. I just installed Torchlight; and I've been looking for modifications for the game to enhance my experience. I'm not going to download this quite yet, but when I do and get a chance to play it, I will supply you with some feedback. Sound good?

Honestly, this mod looks extremely interesting.
    "I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work." - Solid Snake.
    my character beat the second boss, and he died in 5 hits from those crystals, 3 had i not used a health potion...

and yeah, i happened to "accidentally" find the pickaxe, but those were comments from simply looking around, and you know, the beginning

also, the town loading is only 3x as long when you "start" the game, but even after that when you go to town it still takes a bit longer to load....

maybe it would be possible to have 2 teleporters in "main" torchlight, sending you to the bottom & top areas respectively?

but at first your area is REALLY empty 0_0
    maybe add some miners going at the rocks themselves?
    or like in vanilla torchlight, have some NPC's just walking around doing nothing at all XD
    dgckdcgecmb.png
  • wolfnovawolfnova Posts: 10
    Was about to Say... 'I think you crashed my TorchED...'

Then... it finally loads, still haven't played Torchlight with the mod installed yet, but going to in about 2 minutes, will report back with feedback when i get a bit farther...
  • wolfnovawolfnova Posts: 10
    K i had my Initial walkthrough of the (Largly) expanded town, and i must say, very impressive work, and i hope that more stuff is available as time progresses, like you said, because it is large, empty, and for the most part, desolate...

And i am still trying to get a pickaxe, and a tome, for excavation, (i already have a stash full of lumber, with some coal mixed in lol...)

But for now, rating for the mod: 7.5/10, until i know how much of the stuff is unlockable, and where the heck the pickaxe and Excavation Tome is at.... (I dare say, after that, it should be at *least* a 9.5/10 XD)
    wolfnova wrote:
    K i had my Initial walkthrough of the (Largly) expanded town, and i must say, very impressive work, and i hope that more stuff is available as time progresses, like you said, because it is large, empty, and for the most part, desolate...

And i am still trying to get a pickaxe, and a tome, for excavation, (i already have a stash full of lumber, with some coal mixed in lol...)

But for now, rating for the mod: 7.5/10, until i know how much of the stuff is unlockable, and where the heck the pickaxe and Excavation Tome is at.... (I dare say, after that, it should be at *least* a 9.5/10 XD)
    the "postman" in "normal" torchlight allows you to start the quests....

he used the main games bosmaps as out of town "places" where you can do all sorts of stuff....
    dgckdcgecmb.png
    Haven't played much, but just by seeing the expanded areas, this mod needs more attention. You should open up a thread on the mod discussion forum explaining about it. It would round in more players.
    "I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work." - Solid Snake.
    Okay, so after fiddling around for a little while, I'll give you some pointers. I'm not a modder myself, but as the player, I'm sure you would like to read this.

First off, it is a great modification.

Secondly, it would be great if you could give us a better sense of direction. Maybe have a miner in the regular Torchlight area explain to us that Torchlight has expanded, and that miners have managed to go deeper into the ground, where more houses were built. Then he could give us a hint on who to talk to get things working. Also, I'm sure being able to fall straight off the waterfall and into the fishing hole area is just a glitch, correct. I know it is beta, so there will be some.

Lastly, are we supposed to be able to access the Upper Mines. It wouldn't let me when I clicked on it.
    Also, I noticed that you should probably actually make a quest; i.e. information in the quest log itself.
    I started a fresh character for all of this, so if some stuff isn't working for me; my fresh character is level 3, I understand. Sorry if I'm clogging up the thread with numerous edits. Oh, and I managed to get into the upper mines; its just the entrance was in an awkward position, so it took a while to get the click correct.
  • plaguen0gplaguen0g Posts: 1
    I converted to Emberfiend with a lvl 12 character, and I can't seem to get the new quests to work. I am unable to find the vendor that sells the pickaxe, or use any additional quests, plus I got the original first quest re-added to my quest list, without the ability to abandon.

Should I start over, and if yes, what class mod do you recommend? :)

Thanks,
    Plaguen0g

edit: I did start over, and I am level 12. I have not been able to unlock any of the companions because I cannot 'loot' the special shiny. Does something drop it? If so, could it be bugged if I kill the mob that drops it before I have the quest? I wanted to do some troubleshooting to see if maybe it's a mod conflict, but if I take any mods out, the game crashes. This looks like a truly amazing mod, if I could only play it. :)
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    Bump, i'm having the same issues as the poster above.
    ItfooQF.png
    Ok, same issue as the post two posts back from this one, as well as getting green circular splotches whenever I kill something, tho i'm trying to make sure that this isn't some kind of conflict with another mod that Torchleech isn't able to pick up. Great mod otherwise, just needs some tweaking.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Just installed and it looks great. The expansion to the town is fantastic!

However, I can't pick up iron ore or ember. Tried with both a previously saved character and a new character. Does this ability need to be unlocked?

Also, I haven't encountered any conflicts or problems with the save character, except for the above, and also it wiped the personal stash (which doesn't bother me at all because the trade off to play the mod was more than worth it, and no effect whatsoever on the shared stash - all still there - and frankly, the mod looks so good, I wouldn't care if the shared stash got wiped also - finding items is easy, finding great mods, sadly, not so easy). Being unable to pick up the ore is a problem, however, but if the newly created character can't pick it up either, I'm thinking the ability needs to be unlocked, but it does seem an odd way of going about it.

Thanks for a great mod!

PJ
    I think it's something you unlock..after the first boss fight, I think, you either get to pick up a pickaxe, or the vendor in the mines sells it to you, something like that. Haven't played it too much due to the mod causing me to get green splotches whenever I kill certain mobs. Large green circles on the ground that take awhile to fade and are really annoying. I took out all my mods, didn't have that problem, added the crafting mod and BAM...there it was. I'll still play it, just wish I knew what was causing that error.
    ItfooQF.png
  • RyongRyong Posts: 9
    So, just wondering, after the first two glowing skulls you get in the graveyard, how do you get more? They don't seem to "respawn".
  • I have been unable to locate the first boss, nor have I been able to locate the quest giver (if there is one, and, which is probably the reason I cannot locate the first boss). Tried the postman, but all he says is come back when you're ready. A little jump start would be helpful. I also think it would help if you had a portal between upper and lower torchlight. Otherwise, the mod looks great. Thanks!

PJ
  • JayJay Posts: 161
    I have been unable to locate the first boss
    As I understand it, that is referring to the base game's first boss.
    That being the case, you should know where he is.
    ...Unless you've never played the game before, anyway.
    I'm now not only getting green circles on the floor when I kill certain mobs, I'm getting blue ones as well. Any idea just what about this mod might be causing it? Im running vista 32 bit, nvidia gt 220 gfx card.
    ItfooQF.png
    Ok, fixed the green circle issue.

Deleted everything in my cloud folder, all my saves, as well as everything in the folder that has the saves folder in it, and the green circle has been replaced by the normal blood splatter. My guess is that something about the Emberfiend mod borked my game, whatever it was was something that affected whatever setting controls the blood splatter, and whatever it was that was affected was something that gets saved to something in my cloud saves folder, or in the folder that has the mods and regular saves folder in it.
    ItfooQF.png
  • FaksFaks Posts: 17
    Author of mod should make hot fix for it cause Character Gene replacing Transmute character cause of this i am going remove character and i think mod will not work fully cause of missing quest char later ....
    First thing I've done is put the Transmuter back and moved Gene, thanks for the crucial input! Hotfixed and tidying up the rest!

*Update!* 5/14/12

With a solid day's work on the entire layout of Emberfiend, I've managed to make some much needed changes already:
    [*]Much of the overall functionality of the mod is now immediately accessible to players upon loading up the mod. I am still making this even more accessible, but gone are the days of having to unlock crafting features to use them. The old quests and storyline will be left intact, but players will now be able to obtain the tools and resources they need right away![/*]
    [*]Emberfiend's layout now properly merges with the original town of Torchlight. This improves load times slightly, and many obsolete groups or entries have been removed. [/*]
    [*]While not guaranteed until further testing is completed, Emberfiend should be much more compatible with other mods now.[/*]
    [*]Some signposts have been spread throughout the expanded areas of Torchlight (and one near the original fishing hole) explaining in greater detail how cooking/smithing works in the Emberfiend mod.[/*]
    [*]Working on the difficulty of the Deepmines presently, so that it is less difficult.[/*]
    [*]Moved some things a tad, improving travel across the expanded area, and closely looking at the terrain nodes with plans to change the tileset.
    [/*]

...and probably one of the most important: I am now compiling text information in order to provide a manual around the functionality of Emberfiend!
    *Update!* 5/16/12

HUGE progress has been made around making the mod more functional! I have divided the originally expanded content into two large zones. There are a very few merged components in the original town now, so this means LOAD TIMES ARE BACK TO NORMAL FOR TOWN.

Players can now zone over to Lower Torchlight and the Upper Mines seperately, making each subzone faster to load. While the expanded area was interesting and huge, it simply wasn't feasible for repeated loading.
    *Update!*5/19/12
    New and improved crafting stations, logic groups for them, npc and sign text completed! Reworking logic groups for mineable nodes currently, and creating custom icons! Doing an overall wave of polish over the mod, and will be playtesting and altering the additional quests as needed. Implementing an additional functionality around the Tavern as well!

*Update!*5/18/12

Reworking logic groups for the crafting stations, to streamline the crafting process. The alchemy table, forge, and enchantment shrine will now be much more user friendly. Overall functionality of these stations has been overhauled, so that the alchemy table creates Refined Ember from a Bright Ember Ore, and the Refined Ember can then be used to activate the Enchantment Shrine. The Forge is now used solely to produce Tempered Steel, and the Anvil is always a transmuter.
    *Update!*5/21/12

[*]30+ custom icons, most of which were HAND DRAWN, completed and functional in game![/*]
    [*]Overhaul of all assets (within editor and in mod folder) complete, much easier to browse the content in TorchED now.[/*]
    [*]Currently fine-tuning spawnclasses and still reworking some node logic groups.
    [/*]
    Emberfiend 2.0

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=864

Welcome to the next installment of Emberfiend! Most notable are the changes to the expanded content, where the area has been subdivided to different 'chunks' for efficient loading.The crafting stations have undergone a major overhaul, so that the crafting process is more streamlined. With the addition of extra NPC's and signposts to help an adventurer learn about its features, Emberfiend is really coming along! This installment introduces the Torchlight Tavern and many subtle but important changes to the whole of the mod's design. Enchanting and Disenchanting is now fully functional! New icons make the mod more polished, and resources now use the Fish tab in the inventory screen and many items stack that didn't before. Now that (finally!) the front-end for Emberfiend is complete it will be easy to expand upon. Cheers and happy hunting!

Features:
    • Crafting system: Emberfiend adds a diverse crafting system to Torchlight. Players can create Magical Weapons using Recipes and gathered resources (creating normal weapons is meaningless, lol). Rare Weapons,Armor, and Trinkets are created through enchanting, so a player could make a Magic weapon and enchant it to make it Rare.
      • Interactive Resource Nodes: There are resource nodes that allow you to click on them, and the game camera focuses in to watch your character hit the node a couple times before dropping a valuable resource!
      • Interactive Crafting Stations: You can click on a Forge, Alchemist's Table, or Cauldron to have one item crafted out of another!
      • Enchantment and Disenchantment of items with resources gathered. You can either transmute a Magic Weapon, Armor, or Trinket with a Cosmic Dust to make a Rare Weapon,Armor, or Trinket , or use the Enchantment Shrine in town with a Refined Ember to Enhance gear! You can transmute a Magic or Rare Weapon, Armor, or Trinket with an Astral Dust (combine 4 Cosmic Dust) to get a random Unique!
    • Expanded Area around Torchlight: There are 2 main zones connected with the town of Torchlight: Lower Torchlight and the Upper Wilds. Lower Torchlight is the crafting outskirts of Torchlight, where you can find an Alchemy Table and Forge for specific crafting needs. Also directly connected to Torchlight's graveyard is a small area with a reusable Enchantment Shrine...with the right resource.
      • Tavern: The Torchlight Tavern has been opened for business again! This adds an entrance to the Tavern in the middle of town, where adventurers can disband unwanted companions. The Tavern also holds a waypoint hub portal, similar to the one on Torchlight's topside. This allows porting to any unlocked waypoint from within the tavern, including waypoints added by other mods.
      • The Deep Mines: The Deep Mines is a bottomless dungeon in which the creatures drop healthy amounts of resources for crafting. 'Deep' enemies don't give xp, but here and there other creatures who haven't been corrupted by the deep still do.
    • Healing Shrines: There is an added Healing Shrine in town right under where you Town Portal into Torchlight, and another inside the Tavern.
    • Companions: There are 3 companions with this installment of Emberfiend. 1 available from the Tavern after you enter the Mines for the first time and return to town, and 2 unlockable ones. Companions in Emberfiend you meet in your travels, and do not summon by use of a scroll.
    • Quests: Quests lead adventurers to new companions, so that once completed the companion related to that questline is unlocked for recruitment.
    • Useables:Tomes and Glyphs are able to be placed on your hotkey bar, so that you may use the spells on them while not using up your character's 'learned spell' slots!
      • Tomes(25 charges) can be created by combining a 20 stack of Identify or Town Portal scrolls, or 4 of the spell (currently only Identify and Town Portal Tomes).
      • Glyphs(50 charges) can be crafted with resources.
      • Cooked Fish are edible versions of the original fish, which are a little bit weaker than healing potions. (There are only currently a few of these in the mod for low leveled characters. The entire cooking system may change in a future release.)
    • Icons: 36 new icons, most of which were HAND DRAWN by yours truly!
    • Compatibility:Emberfiend doesn't alter or tamper with any of the normal (vanilla) classes, abilities, layouts, or assets in general in any way. Emberfiend is carefully crafted such that it merges properly with other mods. As of the time of this posting, I haven't found a mod that doesn't work with it yet!

Future Plans:
    • Transfer Emberfiend's assets to Torchlight II!
    • Rework/additions to cooked fish and the cooking system.
    • A Tome/Glyph for every spell (currently just Identify, Town Portal, and first 3 tiers of Elemental Resistance and Elemental Overload on glyphs)
    • Extensions on the Tavern, including more companions.
    • A dungeon leading down from the Crypt area in Lower Torchlight and the Temple area of the Upper Wilds.
    • More quests and questlines.
    • Some additional icons.

I would appreciate any feedback on improving the features of the mod. PM me here, or find me around Runic Games Fansite Forums. Particularly feedback around the value of the new items would be appreciated as most are just priced really low for availability. Ideas to make things better? New NPCs? Whatever? Enjoy the mod I look forward to hearing from you!
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭
    downloaded and will play this now :) thanks for ALL this EFFORT Ehb!
    Lvw5p3z.png
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF