Wine?

zidzid Posts: 6
edited November 2009 in TL General Discussions
Anyone gotten Torchlight to run under wine yet?
*-*-* OGRE Initialising
*-*-* Version 1.6.4 (Shoggoth)
err:d3d:CreateContext Requesting MultiSampleType=2
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ClearSurface >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from glScissor @ device.c / 4618
fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 1129272385 (as fourcc: ATOC) WINED3DFORMAT!
fixme:d3d:getFormatDescEntry Can't find format unrecognized(1129272385) in the format lookup table
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1a23d8,0x1a2360): stub
fixme:d3d:set_blit_dimension >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from glViewport @ context.c / 1539
fixme:d3d_surface:flush_to_framebuffer_drawpixels >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from glRasterPos3i @ surface.c / 1407
fixme:d3d_surface:flush_to_framebuffer_drawpixels >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from glDrawPixels @ surface.c / 1441
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ClearSurface >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from glScissor @ device.c / 4618
err:d3d:CreateContext Requesting MultiSampleType=2

And then a crash inside MSVCRT is as far as i've gotten (But I saw a thread about a vista user with the same problem also?)

EDIT: Feel free to move this to your new tech support forum.

Comments

• Do you see any options to render under OpenGL? OGRE has support for it but Runic may restrict it to D3D.
  • MisiekMisiek Posts: 6
    I am not going for wine. I gonna try VMware fusion. V3.0 comes out soon, thinking about buying that since it has better support for 3D
  • The game does support OpenGL. Crack open your settings file and turn off DirectX by enabling OpenGL.

second line down in settings.txt:
    OPENGL :0

change to:

OPENGL :1

Doubt this will work for ya but give it a try.

PS: Click on the application data folder, follow the runic games folder into the torchlight folder. You should find the settings.txt.

PSS: Also try running it in safe mode. I would try that first. There is an extra icon in the windows start menu called safe mode torchlight.
  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 64
    Misiek wrote:
    I am not going for wine. I gonna try VMware fusion. V3.0 comes out soon, thinking about buying that since it has better support for 3D

I do believe 3.0 is out as of this morning.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 9
    I've got it to get stuck at securom activation, it didn't connect to the server so having to wait for GG to reply so I can do it manually. Probably because my uni department is behind a proxy with ports blocked, I dunno, it stopped on "Attempting to connect".
    Ph.D Computer Science, Durham University.
    Research Interests: Computer Graphics, Network Architectures, Parallel Programming.
    Showcase Website: http://www.cwkx.com
  • zidzid Posts: 6
    [email protected] Torchlight % find . -name "*.txt"
    ./BuildVer.txt

I haven't ran it yet, so no settings file, I did look for one. I'll try the game's root directory.

Edit: either its root directory isn't where it should live, or a mostly blank file with just 1 option doesn't work.

Edit: safe mode seems to work, I completely forgot to check what shortcuts would have been created.
  • mimoxmimox Posts: 22
    Chris wrote:
    I've got it to get stuck at securom activation

Anything special you had to do in order to get this far?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 9
    mimox wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    I've got it to get stuck at securom activation

Anything special you had to do in order to get this far?

Initially it gave me an unhandled write access page fault. This was because I was using wine 1.0.1, so I updated to the latest deb from here http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html (using Ubuntu... well Linux Mint). Then from Wine doors I made sure I had Mono for the net, and the vc2008 (may have the names wrong, not checked). I already have a couple of other packages like the xml one etc, but I think these two were all that were needed.
    Ph.D Computer Science, Durham University.
    Research Interests: Computer Graphics, Network Architectures, Parallel Programming.
    Showcase Website: http://www.cwkx.com
    I recommend "winetricks dcom98 vcrun2008"
    Bebop wrote:
    in settings.txt

Any chance you could pastebin the initial version of the file? I guess the game crashes before the file is created...
    Okay more news.

The game starts now that i've ran it once in safe mode. But sound doesn't work.

Also, is the game restarting in normal mode after applying a graphics change from safe mode a bug?
    The trick seems to be to first start in safe mode an keep window mode after that. Also, netbook mode seems to fix some graphics corruption.
  • When I try to run the game (regardless of safe mode) I get the following output:

[email protected]:~$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/stewart/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Runic Games\Torchlight\Torchlight.exe" SAFEMODE=1
    err:module:map_image Could not map section YMY, file probably truncated
    wine: could not load L"C:\\Program Files\\Runic Games\\Torchlight\\Torchlight.exe": Bad EXE format for
    [email protected]:~$ err:menubuilder:WinMain unknown option -a
    err:menubuilder:WinMain unknown option -r

Maybe this is because I don't have Mono installed in wine? Will try that and report back.

Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (Jaunty) 64-bit, Wine 1.0.1

Will also try it on my laptop with 9.10 (Karmic) and Wine 1.1.32.

If it doesn't run then not a big loss, not worth running Windows in dual boot or vm over. After HG:L I have very low expectations for this game. I am still happy playing D2:LOD on my Linux box. I figured at $20 it was worth a shot, but support in Wine would be great.
  • OK, installed the windows version of mono, dcom98 and vc2008 and I still get the "Bad EXE format" error.
  • CorniCorni Posts: 14
    are your sure that the exe file is not corrupted?
    The md5sum of the steam version of TL is fea60c15734b14d73c2ba5c0c21d633b, i can't give you the ones for the other distributors though, sorry.
  • I get the same "Bad EXE format" error also on my laptop (Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, Wine 1.1.31) also installed mono for windows, dcom98 and vcredist prior to installing torchlight.

My md5sum is "7022892d63612b309d5c4ce09a7a3073" downloaded from runicgames.com. The game installs fine, I am getting this error when trying to launch the game.
  • I also got the same error (Bad EXE) message after installing from the Torchlightgame.com installer and the Pefectworld installer.. The steam demo works fine for me.

My current line of thinking is that the difference in how the files are stored on the drive between windows and linux are causing problems with the DRM in torchlight.exe. If I have some time tomorrow (well later today at this point) I will try to install to a FAT32 partition and see if that helps.

I am running on Xubuntu 9.04 32 bit, Wine 1.1.32. Installed all previously mentioned programs from winetricks. I tried with fresh configs of wine with the same result.
  • Ok, I tried installing wine to a fat32 partition and that did not work. However when I ran the installer from the command line I get this:
    ~$ wine start torchlight.exe 
    fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
    ~$ fixme:advapi:CheckTokenMembership ((nil) 0x154408 0x33faf8) stub!
    fixme:advapi:CheckTokenMembership ((nil) 0x154408 0x33faf8) stub!
    fixme:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW notification 262144 params 33f8cc,0
    err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW copy error 0 L"C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP001.TMP\\shfolder.dll" -> L"C:\\windows\\system32\\shfolder.dll"
    fixme:clusapi:GetNodeClusterState ((null),0x33ec4c,0) stub!
    fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "c:\\1c68fbc8e9b1b9d8ef207e1c90\\" 00000000
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:advapi:LsaOpenPolicy ((null),0x33f358,0x00000001,0x33f380) stub
    fixme:advapi:LsaClose (0xcafe) stub
    fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"me" (nil) 0xdce224 (nil) 0xdce228 0xdce21c - stub
    fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"me" 0x15a540 0xdce224 0x15a600 0xdce228 0xdce21c - stub
    fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction unhandled standard action L"SetODBCFolders"
    fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MsiUnpublishAssemblies -> 10 ignored L"MsiAssembly" table values
    fixme:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim (0x7e16488c L"fusion.dll", (nil), (nil), 0xdce64c): semi-stub
    fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x1988f0, L"\\\\.\\root\\cimv2\\Applications\\Games", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), (nil), 0x149e2b0)
    fixme:wbemprox:DllCanUnloadNow 
    fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub

Notice the "Could not map section YMY" in there? Seems like the installer chokes on something.
    Installing in Virtualbox and copying over the result does not work either.
  • xethm55 wrote:
    Notice the "Could not map section YMY" in there? Seems like the installer chokes on something.
    Installing in Virtualbox and copying over the result does not work either.

Yeah, and the same message is shown when trying to run the game:
    wine: could not load L"C:\\Program Files\\Runic Games\\Torchlight\\Torchlight.exe": Bad EXE format for

I've been sitting here trying to figure out if the file is compressed in some weird way. Then I realized. "Section YMY" is probably the DRM, Yummy. So, my guess is Wine is not compatible with some functionality Yummy needs. I assume everyone that has gotten past this error has bought their game from somewhere else, with another DRM scheme.

Solution? I'm downloading a cracked version. :D
    (Lets hope it works better than the version I bought... ;))

Solution? Even if you bought the game this is not legal...
  • QauNuckShinQauNuckShin Posts: 54
    edited October 2009
    Aaaaaaand... it works!
    (well, haven't gotten very far... just the title screen. But it works so far.)

So, what I did:

First of all, I'm running Ubuntu 9.04

1. I downloaded the latest Wine Ubuntu .deb package, version 1.1.32, from winehq.org.
    2. I did the winetricks thing someone mentioned earlier in the thread
    At this point, I was still using the YummyDRM version, so I don't know if it helped or made a difference.

This is what I got using the YummyDRM version, bought from torchlightgame.com:

Then I realized it was the DRM messing things up, so I "acquired" (:D) another version. Uninstalled the other one. Uninstaller hangs. Manually killed all wineserver and *.exe processes, plus the "uninstaller" process. Did a "manual" uninstall; rm -R ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Runic\ Games, then edited the registry files in the .wine dir and removed all references to Torchlight (because the game wouldn't install before I removed the copy that was "already installed").

3. Install the new version.
    4. Tried to run it normally by cd:ing to Torchlight dir, then doing "wine Torchlight.exe". Wouldn't work, got some error message.
    5. Tried to run with safemode: "wine Torchlight.exe SAFEMODE=1". It works!
    6. Made sure to uncheck "fullscreen", and set my preferred resolution.
    7. The display will not reinitialize with the new resolution; kill it with ctrl-C in the terminal
    8. Run it normally with just "wine Torchlight.exe"
    9. Yay, a working title screen!
    10. Let's see if the game actually works... I'll report back later.

Summary: Buying directly from Runic Games (or any other place using the Yummy DRM) is a bad idea if you want to run it under Wine.

Could people who have working (legitimate) copies please report their place of purchase? It could help other Winers a lot!
  • mimox wrote:

Oh, so you have a working knowledge of Sweden's copyright laws, then? ;)
    But yeah, you're right. Still, I don't think anyone would argue that my actions are morally wrong.

And I would still like to know where people who have gotten it working bought their versions, so that other Winers can buy from those places and avoid having to "acquire" the game through other channels.
  • HPXHPX Posts: 16
    mimox wrote:

Perhaps not where you live.... we don't have **** laws like that (yet).

I too like op live in sweden and no it is not illegal to circumvent copy protection for use with my own purchased game, cellphone, console etc. ;p

I had some weird error in wine but then eve online stopped working for me at the same time so I'll guess I'll have to look it over. Does anyone know wether or not cedega works? I'm tempted to try it out (have to get home from work first though).

I for one purchased the game through paypal and got the client from the torchgamegame.com/download site.
  • HPX wrote:
    I too like op live in sweden and no it is not illegal to circumvent copy protection for use with my own purchased game, cellphone, console etc. ;p

Right, it's not. However, downloading the game (even if you've bought it) is illegal since 2005. In the same way, you may not download the mp3s, even if you own the CD. You may, however, rip the CD to mp3s yourself. And even share with (a few!) friends.

But let's stay on topic. ;)
    HPX wrote:

Right, it's not. However, downloading the game (even if you've bought it) is illegal since 2005. In the same way, you may not download the mp3s, even if you own the CD. You may, however, rip the CD to mp3s yourself. And even share with (a few!) friends.

But let's stay on topic. ;)
    KK topic it is! :p

Anyway, the error I got (from mind, not screen) is "File probably truncated." Will try to fetch it through steam aswell if I can import the key there and then try it through wine if possible.
  • HPX wrote:
    Anyway, the error I got (from mind, not screen) is "File probably truncated." Will try to fetch it through steam aswell if I can import the key there and then try it through wine if possible.

Something about "section YMY"? That the Yummy DRM. Same as I got (see above).

You can't use the key from one purchase location to download from another.
    HPX wrote:

Something about "section YMY"? That the Yummy DRM. Same as I got (see above).

You can't use the key from one purchase location to download from another.
    Missed your post! So that's what it is. I never was too fond of DRM, such bs. Yeah, after looking into it, it seems like it's only some valve games where its possible to enter key into steam. Well then, we'll see where this leads. Never been in contact w YMY before.
  • I have tried purging wine and reinstalling the latest from winehq and using winetricks as mentioned above. I still get the "Could not map section YMY, file probably truncated" and "Bad EXE format for" errors.

I also tried installing in on my wifes Windows XP computer and transferring the files over, still get the exact same errors. As others have pointed out this is most likely the Yummy DRM interfering. I will try to do some more research into that, and attempt to do some dll overrides and what not.

So who has this working, what distribution are you running, what version of wine, and which distributor did you download from? I can confirm that the version from torchlightgame.com does not work currently.

If the retail package in January truely is DRM free then the game should be working fine. Mac users have been able to get it running under Wine with the same issues we are having (need to set opengl in settings.cfm before launching, crashes when changing res and no full screen). Runic is coming out with a native Mac port which will likely fix all of these issues. Maybe with some hacking and luck us Linux users will be able to play as well. Although, it would not be difficult for Runic to release an unsupported native linux client. Orge is completely supported in Linux and the game should perform better in Linux than Windows when it works.

Yesterday was game day for me, all of the games I was anticipating got released so I picked up Tekken 6, and Ratchet & Clank yesterday in addition to Torchlight. Best Buy has a buy 2 get 1 free deal currently, so I also got Uncharted 2 for free. I've got some stuff to keep me busy until this is working. If I can't get it running soon I will just try to get a return and wait until the retail game comes out. If that works then I will buy new copies for all my computers.
  • lgtspecb wrote:
    Mac users have been able to get it running under Wine with the same issues we are having (need to set opengl in settings.cfm before launching, crashes when changing res and no full screen)

I have no problem running it with DirectX. But yeah, changing res leads to crashing and full screen doesn't work.
  • morthmorth Posts: 6
    Steam version works for me on OS X, provided I go to properties -> start options and add SAFEMODE=1. Nothing else needed as far as I know, but I probably already installed dcom98 and vcrun2008 with winetricks long time ago.