Howto: Change Keybindings

AbnovitasAbnovitas Posts: 95
edited June 2014 in TL General Discussions
First of all: This game is awesome! Thanks for doing all this and congratulations! :)

Allright, I just wanted to post how I remapped some keys for my potions.

Open up the following file with your favorite unicode capable editor (Wordpad for example):
Vista/7: C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\settings.txt
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUser\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\settings.txt

Note: The folder App(lication)Data is hidden by default. To access it you can either use the link in your TL installation directory or by entering this in your run-prompt %appdata%\runic games\torchlight\

Now look for the KEYMAP-variables and change their values according to this table: Keycodes
(You can select the textbox at the top of the table and press any key to get it's assigned keycode)

Note:
As it seems there is no possibility to remap actions to mousebuttons yet. The same is true for modifier keys (Alt/Shift/Ctrl).
If it's supported by your mouse-driver, you could map additional mousebuttons to keyboard keys though. Another possibility would be to use some macro programs like AutoHotkey or AutoIt.

When you're finished just save your file and enjoy your personal keymappings :)

Allright, back to Torchlight ;)
Characters:
Xyaasu / Destroyer (37 Retired) / Berserker / Normal
Lauryna / Vanquisher (22) / Marksman / Hard
Ionisys / Alchemist (6) / Arcane / Hard
Castor / Destroyer (22) / Spectral / Very Hard

Comments

• DaktorDaktor Posts: 2
    Thanks!
  • Thanks Abnovitas!
  • SmithSmith Posts: 52
    This post should be stickied :D
    Are you not entertained?
    Are you not entertained!?!?
  • drwhodrwho Posts: 19
    Sweet. I was just thinking about how cool it would be to change the keys.

I was having way too much fun playing though to bother with it. ;)
    "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
    Iron Maiden - The Prisoner
  • ShardzShardz Posts: 1,384
    Very nice! I like my controls a bit on the default side, but this will come in handy for when I change my mind! :D
  • Looks like specific key can't be bound, is it some kind of bug?
    For example, I tried to bind keymap 4 to "f" but it's displayed as NA in the game.
    Any solution to fix this?
  • IstariIstari Posts: 7
    Thanks
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭
    What are the ascii codes for the extra mouse buttons?(xbutton1, xbutton2, etc)
  • Omnifas wrote:

I'm looking for the same. Also, Logitech SetPoint doesn't want to work nicely with TL. It does with Titan Quest though. :[
  • roffroff Posts: 1
    I couldn't find this either, so I used Autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com) to bind mouse buttons (MButton::F5, XButton1::F6, etc.).
    ehdrmfka wrote:
    Looks like specific key can't be bound, is it some kind of bug?
    For example, I tried to bind keymap 4 to "f" but it's displayed as NA in the game.
    Any solution to fix this?
    The keys are bound. They just don't display correctly on the hotbar. I had the same problem with "f" and "q".
  • Ashleywr wrote:
    Omnifas wrote:

I'm looking for the same. Also, Logitech SetPoint doesn't want to work nicely with TL. It does with Titan Quest though. :[

It works for me. I have a G500

SetPoint Version 5.20.40
    Driver Version 4.82.11

Make sure you create your own profile for the game though..
  • Ya would be nice to add mouse 4-5 :/
  • not working for me, how do you access the directory if you downloaded off Steam?

The game files are in the directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\torchlight\

but the path C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\torchlight\settings.txt doesn't link to anything

Does Steam keep the settings file somewhere else?
    4027181621_f198cb7248.jpg
  • Wodenborn wrote:
    not working for me, how do you access the directory if you downloaded off Steam?

The game files are in the directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\torchlight\

but the path C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\torchlight\settings.txt doesn't link to anything

The settings file for the steam version is in the same place as stated in the original post.

Also, I didn't want to make a new thread for this and it seems somewhat related, does anyone know how to take things off the hotbar? (i.e. have the button empty) It's been driving me nuts. Thanks.
  • Anomareh wrote:
    Also, I didn't want to make a new thread for this and it seems somewhat related, does anyone know how to take things off the hotbar? (i.e. have the button empty) It's been driving me nuts. Thanks.

CTRL-Click the button :)
    Characters:
    Xyaasu / Destroyer (37 Retired) / Berserker / Normal
    Lauryna / Vanquisher (22) / Marksman / Hard
    Ionisys / Alchemist (6) / Arcane / Hard
    Castor / Destroyer (22) / Spectral / Very Hard
  • The game doesn't appear to generate a settings file unless you change a setting in game and apply them. At least mine didn't (win 7 64bit, steam). So if you don't have one just go in game and change something and apply then look for it.
  • ahleeahlee Posts: 6
    If you are attempting to bind an action to the semicolon key (;), make sure to use key code 186 instead of 59. The character code page linked in the original post returns 59 when I press the semicolon key, but 59 is not defined in the key list and setting an action to 59 in Torchlight will not cause the semicolon key to function. Further down on that key list is an entry for semicolon showing that the correct key code is 186.
  • Anomareh wrote:
    Wodenborn wrote:
    not working for me, how do you access the directory if you downloaded off Steam?

The settings file for the steam version is in the same place as stated in the original post.

/HEADDESK

Thanks!
    4027181621_f198cb7248.jpg
  • Only onw think what i need to know, how to change screenshot keybind from shift+f9 to another key? I ave no found something line "SCREENSHOT" in settings.txt except path :?
  • SnowPinSnowPin Posts: 22
    Thanks for this. Been trying to figure this out all night.
    Xfire: streamlinevision
    SnowPinSig.png
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    anyone tried the "mouse buttons 3" bind? middle mouse click for potions.
    heron wrote:

Hey, there he is! Did you find your special item yet? :lol: I believe the mouse buttons are special and different from key bindings, and I'd love to knowhow to remap the middle button, as well! I have no mouse wheel and it's not of any particular use as of this moment in the game.
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    Shardz wrote:
    heron wrote:

Hey, there he is! Did you find your special item yet? :lol: I believe the mouse buttons are special and different from key bindings, and I'd love to knowhow to remap the middle button, as well! I have no mouse wheel and it's not of any particular use as of this moment in the game.

Hey! maybe possible with the update patch to bind mouse buttons?
    Yeah , I just made my first mod .. bit confusing but seemed simple enough.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2197

it's the TorchED Heron!! AAaaah
  • ToastyToasty Posts: 9
    Am I the only one finding it a bit odd that to change key bindings I'm required to rummage around in text files?
    Seeing that the game is so polished, I'm very much surprised they don't have a system in place like D2.

While I love the game, I'm a bit miffed about this.
    Any chance this can actually be added in somehow so I can use the game to change the keybindings instead of this mucking about with text files?
  • :D ty
  • DrgooDrgoo Posts: 3
    Hopefully someone here can help me with a problem I'm trying to figure out.

Trying to bind my "print screen" so I cant take screen shots. What keycode would prnt screen be? :(

lol. Dont know, maybe I've over looked it. Appreciate any help if possible. And I have already attempted to take scrn shots but it just wont work, using a gaming type keyboard.
    Drgoo wrote:
    Hopefully someone here can help me with a problem I'm trying to figure out.

Trying to bind my "print screen" so I cant take screen shots. What keycode would prnt screen be? :(

lol. Dont know, maybe I've over looked it. Appreciate any help if possible. And I have already attempted to take scrn shots but it just wont work, using a gaming type keyboard.

To save a screenshot, the keys are Shift + F9.
    Toasty wrote:
    Am I the only one finding it a bit odd that to change key bindings I'm required to rummage around in text files?
    Seeing that the game is so polished, I'm very much surprised they don't have a system in place like D2.

While I love the game, I'm a bit miffed about this.
    Any chance this can actually be added in somehow so I can use the game to change the keybindings instead of this mucking about with text files?

It was brought up before release time to include a key mapping screen in the Settings screen, but they ran out of time before release and other items were more important. Travis said I takes weeks to debug that feature and do extensive testing, but also mentioned it might be in a future patch.
  • ToastyToasty Posts: 9
    Shardz wrote:

It was brought up before release time to include a key mapping screen in the Settings screen, but they ran out of time before release and other items were more important. Travis said I takes weeks to debug that feature and do extensive testing, but also mentioned it might be in a future patch.

I'm so surprised that this basic functionality for a PC game seems to be a complete afterthought for such veteran PC game developers. Stuff like this blows my mind.

At least there's hope that it might be included in a later patch. I certainly do hope so, because I am sincerely getting fed up with using 1-0 as hotkeys. And I'm running out of room (more spells/abilities than numerical keys).
    Toasty wrote:
    Shardz wrote:

I'm so surprised that this basic functionality for a PC game seems to be a complete afterthought for such veteran PC game developers. Stuff like this blows my mind.

At least there's hope that it might be included in a later patch. I certainly do hope so, because I am sincerely getting fed up with using 1-0 as hotkeys. And I'm running out of room (more spells/abilities than numerical keys).

Not only can you use the 1-0 keys, but also F1 - F12 for hotkeys. That is 22 keys for hot keys...that seems like a lot to me.