Torchlight 2

LaufeiaLaufeia Posts: 3
edited August 2010 in TL2 General Discussions
WOOT!! Can't wait for some more dungeon crawling fun :D

http://www.torchlight2game.com/

Comments

• enemantikenemantik Posts: 492
    Ah... The mysterious picture the Runic guys have been teasing us with in the past few days was indeed related to the MMO they have been working on. :) Personally, I am bit disappointed, though; I was hoping for an expansion to Torchlight SP. :cry: Well, spring 2011 shall herald a new era for an old dog like myself. I have never in my life played a MMO, but Torchlight II will be the first one.
  • enemantik wrote:
    Ah... The mysterious picture the Runic guys have been teasing us with in the past few days was indeed related to the MMO they have been working on. :) Personally, I am bit disappointed, though; I was hoping for an expansion to Torchlight SP. :cry: Well, spring 2011 shall herald a new era for an old dog like myself. I have never in my life played a MMO, but Torchlight II will be the first one.

actually, nowhere on http://www.torchlight2game.com/ does it say anything about MMO... :)
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
    actually, nowhere on http://www.torchlight2game.com/ does it say anything about MMO... :)

Semantics, semantics. Close enough. At least to myself. 8-) Just do your best to release a boxed retail version as soon as possible, will you?
  • AWESOME!!

Multiplayer, overworld areas, customizable characters, random events....very nice indeed.

Can't wait.
  • SoliTearSoliTear Posts: 14
    edited August 2010
    what a surprise! count me in for two copies.

good to hear!

after reading some of the features. it appears that this release will be a stepping stone toward a full MMO. I think that it is a great idea.

Grouping in Torchlight. :shock: What a concept.
    solitearsig-1.png
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    edited August 2010
    Multi-player – Play with your friends over a local area network, or over the Internet. A free matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you make new friends for exciting co-op play.
    definitely not an mmo, but I wonder what the player limit is?
    4 players ? 2 players ? I wonder if they're going to tone down the graphics of the skills
    ... the Alchemist, following his conquest of dark ember, disappeared on his quest to defeat the unknown corrupted force responsible for destroying the mystical race of Estherians. ... you will find yourself battling a powerful enemy that threatens to unravel the elements of the entire world.
    mmm, never heard that story before :)
    (somebody's going to say it, might as well be me)
    There, you meet with the Destroyer and soon venture across the continent of Vilderan
    I wonder if that means he's a merc that plays along with us or is he just an npc that gives us direction ala deckard cain in D2 and Syl in TL One

and a continent :) sweet !
    randomized overworld areas to explore with weather, time of day cycles, and random events
    whoa !
    four classes
    yeah
    Through cosmetic, class, and gender choices,
    so the each class can be a girl or guy ? and we can change the look ?
    New User Interface
    pet and minion details I'm guessing ?

sounds great !
    sign me up for alpha testing

I think I'll buy my tickets to PAX now,
    PAX Sept 3 demo ?
    I don't have a sig
  • Nice! Can not wait.
    Freelance-Sig.png
  • SoliTearSoliTear Posts: 14
    It sounds like good, classic fun! Something that has been missing in these types of games. Some very good new features.

I hope we can still make levels and such for Torchlight II.
    solitearsig-1.png
    SoliTear wrote:
    It sounds like good, classic fun! Something that has been missing in these types of games. Some very good new features.

I hope we can still make levels and such for Torchlight II.
    Torchlight II will release with an updated version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world.
    I don't have a sig
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    Very cool..
    love that they managed to keep modding in there.. I do hope, that they managed to decrease loading times
    can we hope for some early peek in Gamescom in Cologne?
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭
    woot!
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    One good thing about the release date ("Spring 2011"), is that I can continue with my new, experimental Vanquisher build. If the new game would have been an expansion to Torchlight SP, like I hoped for, and the release date was like a month or two away, I would be all stressed out right now. "When it will be released here in Europe?", "How do my selected mods work with the new game?", and so on. Phew. What a relief. :)
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omgomg

THANK YOU RUNIC!
    ItfooQF.png
  • Sp3tSnAzSp3tSnAz Posts: 50
    Nice, can't wait.

Co-op is gonna be awesome :D
    Tyrael-1.gif
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let us help with testing! *not too proud to beg*
    ItfooQF.png
  • Here's the press release
    SEATTLE - (Business Wire) Runic Games, Inc. ("Runic Games"), a specialized developer of PC-based entertainment software in the United States, surprised the game world today by announcing their next project, Torchlight II.

Torchlight II answers the overwhelming call of our community with an expansive co-op multiplayer experience. With all new character classes, an expansive overworld, new quests, monsters, and lots of new dungeons, Torchlight II finally lets you play with your friends in the world of Torchlight. Consistent with our pledge to provide unmatched value, Torchlight II will be sold at a low price point, and include a free matchmaking service for peer-to-peer multiplayer experience. Expect Torchlight II to ship in the spring of 2011.

Runic Games’ CEO Max Schaefer commented, “We’re so proud of everything Torchlight accomplished, and we feel that Torchlight II will not only give the fans everything they’ve asked for, but far surpass its predecessor in terms of fun, balance, customization, story, and just being a great game to play with your friends.

“We still are going to make the MMO, but it became apparent that Torchlight II was the logical next step for us given the phenomenal enthusiasm of gamers petitioning us for multiplayer.”

Torchlight II debuts at gamescom 2010 in Cologne, Germany August 18-22 2010, and at PAX Prime in Seattle, WA, September 3-5 2010. Gaming enthusiasts will have the opportunity to explore the new features hands-on, and chat directly with the developers.

Torchlight II will launch in Spring 2011, initially as a digital download.

For more information on Torchlight II, gamers can visit the official website at http://www.torchlight2game.com/ to view additional game play details, trailers and screenshots.

About Runic Games, Inc.

Runic Games is a developer of PC-based entertainment software, designing games that focus on quality, approachability, and fun. Runic Games is staffed by a team with experienced members, including leads on "Diablo," "Diablo II," "Diablo II: Lord of Destruction," "Fate," "Hellgate: London" and "Mythos." Torchlight won the GDC Award for Best Debut in 2009. Runic Games, a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ: PWRD), is located in Seattle, Washington, United States.

Runic Games, Inc.
    Wonder Russell
    wonder@runicgames.com
    Freelance-Sig.png
  • prestigeprestige Posts: 553
    Wow, hands on at Gamescom and PAX? OK, so we won't have long to wait before we learn more, and hopefully see some video as well. Personally, I'll be looking forward to some nice, big official screenshots because I love graphics.

I also wonder what's up with the improved interface mentioned in the features list.
    The Basement My random mini-dungeon mod
    Here comes Leviathan! Starch 2 mod
    prestige wrote:
    I also wonder what's up with the improved interface mentioned in the features list.

And how can they improve an interface as good as the one in the first Torchlight? I don't personally have any complaints about it. :)
  • TezTez Posts: 183
    Personally, the only improvement I can see, would be instead of having one hotbar, would be to have maybe a 2x3 or 3x3 box either end or something. I find it much easier to use abilities etc in that formation.
  • MannamMannam Posts: 185
    enemantik wrote:
    prestige wrote:

And how can they improve an interface as good as the one in the first Torchlight? I don't personally have any complaints about it. :)

You obviously never played a summoning Alchemist.
    :P
    Mannam wrote:
    enemantik wrote:
    prestige wrote:
    You obviously never played a summoning Alchemist.
    :P

No. And I never will. The spellcasters just aren't my thing. :D But let's not start a debate here, please.
  • Nice!

Looking forward to the new installment. Will be interesting to see how D3 will behave towards this newcomer, although I expect Torchlight 2 to be out long before D3 :lol:

Co-op sounds like a great improvement to an already fun game. Bring it on!
    Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?
  • FerdinandFerdinand Posts: 167
    Excellent news!!! :D

Now I officially don't care if Diablo III ever comes out :mrgreen:
    Ferdinand wrote:
    ... Now I officially don't care if Diablo III ever comes out :mrgreen:

Same here. I sure won't start my days going through various Diablo boards for possible new rumors/Twitter "leaks" anymore. :D
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    enemantik wrote:
    Ferdinand wrote:
    ... Now I officially don't care if Diablo III ever comes out :mrgreen:

Same here. I sure won't start my days going through various Diablo boards for possible new rumors/Twitter "leaks" anymore. :D

I actually stopped doing that a long time ago. That game seems it will never come out. If it does, I will probably check it out, but Torchlight II will be all I need!!

I love the fact they are getting this out before the mmo. Brilliant move.
    read more carefully

this is on the first page of this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14135#p119713

they're still making the mmo

it wasn't scheduled to be out until end of summer 2011 anyway, and that was the earliest estimate

this gives them a chance to test out the networking code and get feed back,
    think of it as a way to shorten the mmo alpha

and to keep interest in the game and in TL in the news
    I don't have a sig
  • gluemchengluemchen Posts: 1,033
    WTF OMFG O.o
    YES!!!! Yeeeeeees!
    This is Delicious!
    You guys at Runic are the best! A non mmo with Co-op with capability of using mods online. How AWESOME is that!!!
    This is not fake right? It`s not 1 April right!? Somebody smack my face. Lol
    Love you guys . Thanks so much! :DDD
  • HazeHaze Posts: 353
    Wohoo! Torchlight in co-op, can't wait! :D

Sounds like it's going to be alot bigger than the first.
    Loading signature ...
  • gluemchengluemchen Posts: 1,033
    I thought i misread something on www.torchlight2game.com at first, but then i noticed....
    WTF random overworld with random placed dungeons with randomly generated interior!!!!
    This is F****g sweet! It`s Diablo 2 XD They are using their old good stuff again. I wonder also which character besides destroyer and alchemist are in. No sign of the vanquisher but she`ll probably be back in there, but maybe the Estherian Guardians? Something like a paladin of some sort. **** the suspence is killing me my fingers are itching for co-op. xD
  • RnFRnF Posts: 1,000
    permaximum wrote:
    I know they are still making the MMO. They were making that MMO since 2007. If we count Hellgate too it reaches to 2004.

Hellgate got scraped.

Mythos was canceled.

Torchlight didn't become an MMO.

Torchlight 2 didn't become an MMO too.

Torchlight 2 : Expansion won't be an MMO too.

Do you really think if Runic starts developing Torchlight the MMO from the start of 2012 they can release it before 2015? Sorry, but i can't wait 5 more years.

Webstre probably remembers a thread from the old runic fan forum (there were no official forums). Some fan bashed the Runic for not making the promised MMO and said they would never release a succesful MMO with this mind referring to Hellgate and Mythos disaster. I am starting to believe in that guy. We accepted that Torchlight would get their feet on the ground and would make their morales up. We believed that Torchlight would be a good marketing for the MMO (just like you're saying now) and would make them earn some money to develop the MMO more comfortably.

I didn't forget the past. It's like a de ja vu for me.

It's clear and funny in the same time. Torchlight sold more than enough.

I wonder how they compete with Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Darkspore etc. They all due out in 2011-2012. Runic don't have that indie developer advantage anymore too.

BTW how can they call this game a sequel? Same graphics, same engine. It could be an expansion... If i remember right, good games don't have sequels with same graphics and same engine.

I actually don't really care if the mmo ever comes out. Torchlight II with co-op play is better IMO. But that's just me. I don't care if it's the same game engine or pretty much the same game. As long as it's fun is all I care about. There are tons of good games made from the same engine btw (Quake III comes to mind...)

I can understand your frustrations, but all those failings in the past didn't have anything to do with Runic. They were employees of Flagship Studios, not owners. This group was not working on Hellgate London. They lost Mythos because of situations out of their control. They did not own the IP, they were just the developers. It's a big difference.