Unofficial Torchlight II FAQ (Updated August 2012)

WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in TL2 General Discussions
Edit: Updated August 2012

As this is now replaced by the stickied official FAQ, I'll only be maintaining it on RGF. You can always find it at the following link. The title of this thread has been updated to reflect the changes.

You can view the FULL FAQ at this link:
Torchlight II FAQ on Runic Games Fansite
Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!

Comments

• WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Oh, and if anyone has any questions they want added to the FAQ, feel free to ask here.

(Edit: Will do updates in like 8 hours - it's almost midnight my time and I'm sleepy)
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • My Questions Submissions:

1: Are healing/mana potions handled the same way as in Torchlight 1? If no, then how?
    2: Are identify scrolls handled the same way as in Torchlight 1? If no, then how?
    3: Has the fishing mini-game been redesigned at all?
    4: What new features have been added to the TorchED game editor?
    5: How many people will be able to play together in co-op? 2-4-8?
    Thanks!
  • FerdinandFerdinand Posts: 167
    Will there be a playable demo at Gamescom/PAX?

Edit: nvm, just read the press release, the answer is yes!
  • MalakiliMalakili Posts: 183
    Thanks for getting this going.

Very exciting news indeed!
  • wolfmanewolfmane Posts: 1,997
    Are system requirements going to stay the same or increase?
    sig2p.png
  • wolfmane wrote:
    Are system requirements going to stay the same or increase?

Knowing Runic, system requirements are more likely to decrease than increase. Travis would optimize a Bee's Nest if given the opportunity.
  • OsxerOsxer Posts: 3
    Hope there will be a mac version released at the same time as the pc version or at least not much later. Guess it depends on how much the mac version of Torchlight sold.
  • wolfmanewolfmane Posts: 1,997
    Knowing Runic, system requirements are more likely to decrease than increase. Travis would optimize a Bee's Nest if given the opportunity.

It's a balancing scale. They're adding more which would increase the requirements, but you can counter with optimization. I would think that the best you could hope for is a net static result. I don't think you can add more stuff and then expect optimization to give you a net decrease in system requirements, unless they never optimized the first Torchlight.
    sig2p.png
  • What are the Classes in this game?

Only two have been announced so far, the Outlander/Nomad (its name is not finalized), who is a rogue-type character who uses ranged attacks and low magic and the Railman, a melee-sort of Engineer character who uses gadgetry and various steampunk elements to aid his quest.

Are the old classes returning in Torchlight 2?

No, they are not.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/04/torch ... c-games/2/
    I'm awake! Time to start updating with all the news from the last 6 hours.
  • PawsPaws Posts: 1,933
    Good morning~
    PAWS.png
    Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
    Zidders wrote:
    Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
    /swag
    Huge update! Should be just about everything we know and or every question from the last day. Let me know if you have any more questions you want added... but don't forget to check the other thread if you want a place to leave questions for the devs. I check that thread too.
  • askjoshaskjosh Posts: 161
    This really needs to be stickied at the top.
  • Let there be mounts!! wiiiii!!! :D :D and shapeshifting!!!
    Torched Templates:
    Map Merchant ; Random Talking NPC ;
    Rashnu's Tear Dungeon @ viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14861
    @ http://vrkmods.viviti.com/
    Oooh, those questions need to be asked. Will add mounts and shapeshifting today.
  • prestigeprestige Posts: 553
    Hey Webbstre, if I want to update some questions in this FAQ, is it better for you if I just updated it on the wiki, or should I post it to this thread and let you update it? I don't want to mess you up if you're trying to update it in both places.
    The Basement My random mini-dungeon mod
    Here comes Leviathan! Starch 2 mod
    Just go ahead and update the wiki. I'll update this post at random.
  • Webbstre wrote:
    Oooh, those questions need to be asked. Will add mounts and shapeshifting today.

Yeah! :D it would be really cool to have mounts and shapeshifting, even if at least they were just spells which change the model or something like that. Mounting on top of your pet dog or pet wolf or giant cat in WOW style would be awesome ^_^

Mounts in an isometric rpg I've seen only in sacred 2 and i guess neverwinternights, and shapeshifting only in diablo 2's expansion and silverfall. I miss diablo 2's druid and necromancer, sigh...
    Torched Templates:
    I need to update this thread today... but mounts are out.
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    So will vanquishers play any role in the story I wonder? The alchemist had an "addiction" to ember (I assume ember will still play a large role in the story), and the destroyer was just a wandering good doer. But the vanquisher came from an organization of what seemed like some form of government police, and a city was mentioned at one point.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • TanukiTanuki Posts: 2,205
    kinda seems like the story is trying to flesh out what happened in D2. there were 3 characters in D1 but D2's story line seemed to pretend that there was only the warrior.
    fs_pc.png
    Nah, everyone was in Diablo 2. The Rogue became Bloodraven and the Mage became The Summoner in Act 2.

I think a lot of comparisons between Torchlight 1 and 2 with Diablo 1 and 2 are on the right track. If Torchlight 1 was remaking the wheel of Diablo 1, then Torchlight 2 should do the same for what they with with Diablo 2 :P

Can't wait to see it in action!
  • Will they be exploring non-classical mana based resources for all classes or some classes or none?
    Will manual stats be back? Will they be more interesting, intuitive, and fit the skill system better?
    What about dynamic/geometric stats? Critical strikes, faster attack/cast, etc? Will they be shown on your character sheet somewhere?
    Will blocking still be binary (blocks all damage or nothing) or will it be more scaling?
  • iconocasticonocast Posts: 101
    cacophony wrote:
    Will they be exploring non-classical mana based resources for all classes or some classes or none?
    Will manual stats be back? Will they be more interesting, intuitive, and fit the skill system better?
    What about dynamic/geometric stats? Critical strikes, faster attack/cast, etc? Will they be shown on your character sheet somewhere?
    Will blocking still be binary (blocks all damage or nothing) or will it be more scaling?

dont expect genra changing inovations, expect tl expanded and polished.
  • SiyatSiyat Posts: 13
    Webbstre wrote:
    Nah, everyone was in Diablo 2. The Rogue became Bloodraven and the Mage became The Summoner in Act 2.
    I don't think that's what they meant. In Diablo 2, it was mentioned that it was a Warrior which leaves the Rogue and Sorcerer left out.

BTW, Horizon was mentioned in the Horadrim in Diablo 1. You kill his brother in the original Diablo (the better one), I'm sure you remember, The Warlord of Blood. You kill him once more in Diablo 2, but he's back to Bartuc, not the Warlord of Blood. The Rogue and Mage were only used graphically, not as the original characters. The Rogue and Mage were used as hirelings, Act I and III respectively.

Diablo 3's boss (if Blizzard doesn't **** D3 up) should be Lilith...

Back on topic though, can you check into revised Bags? What I mean on this is: Can they please make it so potions, spells, and scrolls are on the same tab and increase the slot space on each tab as well? It was probably the worst feature about the game other than 2 handers and the lack of a gold storage that could be shared as well.
  • Webbstre wrote:
    I need to update this thread today... but mounts are out.

awww .... u just made bunny cry :*(
    Torched Templates:
    I'll rephrase my former statement... will now update the FAQ tomorrow. I spent all day getting sunburned with my wife and in-laws. I'm nice and pink now.
  • adoomgodadoomgod Posts: 4,270
    What will the level cap be?
    Will you be able to power-level lower level characters when you're a beast?
    Why in the world would they let it be cheatable?!
    cuA6w.png
    I put the "DOOM" in "****."
  • SimonSaysBakaSimonSaysBaka Posts: 648 ✭✭
    Thx Webbstre, Now I can sleep soundly knowing I have all the answers I need. :D
    I like Cake!