Will TorchED be able to make SOAP requests?

HokibukisaHokibukisa Posts: 220
edited August 2010 in TL2 General Discussions
Cause if so, we could store character data off-site.
I could imagine having a webservice that requests data by user/pass/character, and return a list of keyvalue pairs that the modscript would then interpret.
Disclaimer: I don't feed trolls. If I do not reply to your post, it is not because I did not read it.

Comments

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Posts: 220
    Devs? Just sayin, if we could do soap calls, the possibilities go to 11.
    Disclaimer: I don't feed trolls. If I do not reply to your post, it is not because I did not read it.
    Come on!

A simple yes/no/maybe? :|
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    pssssst, they're really busy right now....

I'll help you keep the thread alive though:

What on earth is a SOAP request?
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • gluemchengluemchen Posts: 1,033
    Dont drop the soap!
    Its what you use to call webservices. HTTP POSTsare also capable of this.

This would open Torchlight II up to custom "cloud" services support.

Playing a popular custom mod? Save your high score to it's website.
    Require/optional users to log in and see who else is playing the custom mod.
    Find out if the people you are playing with are cheaters.
    Save and load character data to/from a webserver instead of a local file.

SOAP is safer than an HTTP POST in that the response has to honor the request in a wsdl, sort of a contract.
    HTTP POSTs can return anything they feel like. You could request an image or text, and it could return a malicious javascript file or other nasty things.
    SOAP contracts are immune to a lot of those concerns.
    Ahhhh... that sounds awesome.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Is that how stat tracking in WC 3 maps worked? If so, I like it.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
    WC3 couldn't do that no.
    Shoot, in WC3 we had to generate a string representing a gamesave, encrypt it as best we could, then print it to the screen.
    Players would have to write down that string and then when they played the map again, type in something like: "-load a5Gsa-9bnU-7567y-967u7-y7896-86987-hh988-hn890-7H70".
    The amount of information you could save was limited by whether or not the player could be arsed to write the whole thing down and enter it back in accurately the next time they played.

Starcraft2 has a much better way to save data with their 'Bank', which is a lot like a web-browser cookie. The limitations of the bank are still being explorered as it is horribly documented.
    If you store too much data in a player's bank, the map wont load AT ALL. So if you accidentally release a map that accidentally stores too much data in it's bank, you may as well create a new map.
    Plus atm it appears that you cannot load more than 849ish characters from ALL of the player's banks within the same map or it wont load for anybody...

So you can see, the storage and retrieval of data within the map/mod community for games has been farking terrible so far. Nobody seems to be able to do it right.
    Taking these concerns away from the game's developer and handing it over the the map/mod community solves everything.
    Webservices are the way to go. Cloud storage is just the obvious way to store game saves now.

Enable Torchlight 2 to make SOAP requests and it not only empowers the mod community to use of persistently saved data, but soooo much more.
    Doest`t Id Software`s Quake 3 Arena have this? I play the mods on private servers now and then and there is still a master cd key check.
    I think when you host your own server the tools in quake 3 allowed you to do all sorts of stat tracking.
    My buddy owns a counter-strike server and his remembers everything about you.

So you can think of a webservice as being a master datasource. A quake server may remember everything about you, as long as you play on that server.
    Now if you wanted each deployment of that map/mod to draw data from a the same source, you'd need to store it externally, like battle.net or your own webserver.
    A webservice is just an easy, uniform way of interfacing with a webserver. SOAP is one of the more supported ways of interfacing with a webservice.
    So it`s like "big brain" feeds "small brain". I`m so not technical lol
    Yeah something like that.

2s7w7k7.png
    So the middle line of computers are the private servers. And the top one would be the one at steam, supporting steamcloud for savegames and achievements? But wouldn`t runic have to pay monthy for the extras they add to the steam server for supporting private servers? Would that be a big monthly fee for runic?
    I'm pretty sure he's not referring to Steam at all with that picture. It sounds similar to what Jerich came up with in his post:

Runic runs one server that keeps track of what private servers exist. Your game connects to Runic's server, and it lets you choose from a list of options (including Runic's own peer-to-peer private server). Your game then connects to the private server of your choice, and THAT private server is the one that keeps track of all your data.
  • cybrimcybrim Posts: 1,107
    Yeah I liked jerich's idea because it was well thought out and tangible.
    I am just trying to be fair, if what I say hurts you, you probably need to seriously evaluate what I said, break it down and realize I am not trying to insult you, Just explain things you probably didn't realize.
    The top server would be a custom, personally hosted webservice, like... USZip's webservice.

http://www.webservicex.net/uszip.asmx?op=GetInfoByZIP
    This is a webservice

You can invoke it from anywhere, from any application.
    I can invoke it with a simple HTTP POST from this very forum:
    http://www.webservicex.net/uszip.asmx/G ... SZip=30308
    Notice how the link above simply takes in a zip code and returns information about the zip code in an xml format.

The medium servers could be either a dedicated server hosting a custom map, OR a just a normal player playing the game online and hosting the map non-dedicated.

The bottom computers represent players connecting to the player that is hosting the game. Custom servers are a different thing altogether. I am one of jerich's biggest supporters, but they are really two separate things. Private servers are just private servers. You host it yourself, and Runic said we'll be connecting to each other directly anyways.
    Now if one were to create a custom mod that they wanted to deploy across any number of private servers, and save/load data from one unified datasource, thats where webservices come into play.
  • JerichJerich Posts: 1,665
    I like this idea. It would allow people to do make some pretty amazing features.