Will Torchlight 2 be ruined again?

LeroxLerox Posts: 5
edited August 2010 in TL2 General Discussions
One thing that bothered me greatly about Torchlight besides genders being tethered to classes, is the lax and poor visual effects of many spells and abilities, like fireball, fire itself looked poor, marksman explosive bullet ability stealing poor fireball effect instead looking like it should look form its name, etc.etc.
It all looked very underwhelming and poor. Only few spell/ability effects looked really good.

I do hope that this time around you will make extra effort in making sure that such fundamental details of the game are not subpar.

For example, effects like fire look better here.
It actually looks like fire, not some halfassing like it was in torchlight.

Comments

• TanukiTanuki Posts: 2,205
    nice toll effort, but that statement about genders and classes gave it away. if you know enough to type "torchlight 2" then you know how character generation will be and thus gave away your troll intentions.
    fs_pc.png
  • LeroxLerox Posts: 5
    Actually, you are an idiot.

I am a long time user here, but I forgot my nickname and password.

Also you are completely incoherent.
    I ask that this person's nonsensical post not pertaining to anything is deleted. I also reported you for trolling.
  • TanukiTanuki Posts: 2,205
    oh give me a break, torchlight is cartoonish with it's effects because it's cartoonish with its art! that's not going to change, and gender is not tied to classes because NOW they are using a prototype character creator for the mmo, you select a gender, then appearance, then class ( or in some order like that). it was stated in the first day that they announced TL2, and effects are a hot topic issue around he as most people want simpler effects instead of grandiose fireballs.

I don't believe for a second that you created this topic without knowing that both of those issues are liable to inflame people, and since you did not include any kind of disclaimer addressing how the effects topic has been discussed to death or how the gender class thing is no longer an issue I'm left with no other explanation than that your trying to irk people into another flame thread. there's been too much of that lately and it's burring all of the serrious topics to the point that I've stopped reading this section because it just causes eye strain after the first 5 posts.

so, yes, when I see a flagrant attempt to troll (like this) I'mm calling it out. if others wish to be baited and/or attempt to engage in a serious attempt to discuss this topic they can do so, but I'm pretty sure that anything that anyone posts here will just be responded to with a snappish, inflammatory response.

p.s. if you lost your user name and password you can attempt to recover it by the e-mail address you used to register, also: I didn't mention anything about name, password, or post count. you brought that up on your own, implying that your defensive about it, and by extension that probably means your lying about it. why else would you be THAT defensive about it?

report me for trolling if you want to, I'm just calling it as I see it.
    fs_pc.png
    Tanuki wrote:
    simpler effects instead of grandiose fireballs.

You don't make any sense and you are a transparent and poor framer.
    Better means better, not grandiose.

For example, effects like fire look better here.
    It actually looks like fire, not some halfassing like it was in torchlight.

Your other non-pertinent troll fantasies do not concern me...
  • Lerox wrote:

I ask that this person's nonsensical post not pertaining to anything is deleted. I also reported you for trolling.

And Lerox drops the gloves and comes out swinging!

Seriously, though, can we ban this troll from the forums?
    Paladin Class: discussion thread, download page
    Shared Animations Library: discussion thread, download page
    Drop the nonsensical infantile "troll" meme already and address the points of the topic at hand...
  • BissrokBissrok Posts: 654
    Yeah, I don't get all this "troll" nonsense. Maybe, just maybe, someone has a complaint about the original game? Maybe Magicka really does have better looking fire than Torchlight? I know people love to let everyone know that, yes we're getting both genders for all the classes, but his main point was that they should focus a little more on the details this time. Something most of you apparently couldn't do with his post. If you want to argue that they are addressing those details, that's fine, but constantly trolling someone you think might be a troll doesn't really help matters.
  • Lets keep it civil everyone, valid questions are being asked.

Personally I do not feel the gender/class tethering in Torchlight 1 was that big an issue (especially given the mod tools available and the classes the community has created already), but I understand some players want more variety.

As per http://www.torchlight2game.com...
    Customizable Characters – Players create and customize a character from one of four classes available and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic, class, and gender choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character can be custom-tailored to each player’s needs.

As for spell effects, we are definitely playing with a lot of things to make improvements and make things work well in both single and multi-player games. I cannot really give more information than that, other than to direct you to the official site for the Gamescom trailer to take a look at some multiplayer action in progress. :)
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
  • Lerox wrote:
    Drop the nonsensical infantile "troll" meme already and address the points of the topic at hand...

There's really only one point to discuss, which is that you don't like the appearance of some of the special effects. Considering that the game was released after being in development for only 11 months, I'd say they did a great job. Is there room for improvement in the sequel? Of course. Could they have done better on the original, and still have it done on that kind of a timeline? I seriously doubt it.

But rather than making excuses for subpar special effects, I'll have to just disagree with you on this one; I thought most of the special effects were well done. It's not as if the rest of the game was all that realistic-looking, so I'm fine with the fact that the flames don't look like real fire. By the way, if you haven't seen the Torchlight 2 trailer on YouTube, I would highly recommend it. A lot of the effects still look the same, but they're still in development. There are already some improvements; for example, the flames attached to characters' weapons do look a lot more impressive.

Anyway, I do think there's one area that desperately needs improvement in Torchlight 2, and that's the load times at the start of the game and between dungeon levels (as well as for TorchED). Apparently that's also something that's being worked on, so hopefully we'll see some good results.
  • JambeJambe Posts: 3
    The effects are lovely and fit well with the game's visual style. It would be silly to have realistic or heavily-detailed fire in a game where everything else is comparatively simple. There's a definite theme of boldness and heavy color contrast in Torchlight, and Torchlight II adopts the same style. I am glad!

You wouldn't want Norman Rockwell to paint a bunch of his intricate detail over a Van Gogh. It wouldn't be a Van Gogh anymore...
  • adoomgodadoomgod Posts: 4,270
    Only thing that bothers me about TL1's special effects is that I felt some colors were under explored. Neon red and others for different colored lightning or whatever, green was not popular among the most used attack spells, and purple seemed to always come with blue, never seperate. I'd like to see some artsier effects myself... but that is just me. (let's get some blue and red colliding!!!)
    cuA6w.png
    I put the "DOOM" in "****."
  • "ruined" is a huge overstatement but I agree the magicka fire looks nice...I had never even heard of magicka, so thx, now I have even more to look forward to in 2011
  • cybrimcybrim Posts: 1,107
    it is a game, who cares, those that love it love it, those that hate it hate it and those that play it play it! So give constructive criticism don't undermine or belittle the devs
    I am just trying to be fair, if what I say hurts you, you probably need to seriously evaluate what I said, break it down and realize I am not trying to insult you, Just explain things you probably didn't realize.
  • Original poster, here is your solution:

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Tools/To ... itor.shtml

:D
  • BissrokBissrok Posts: 654
    Original poster, here is your solution:

Some of us paid to have the developers build a decent game for us. Granted, the issues the OP brought up are pretty weak, but the answer to every complaint isn't always "you can use the editor and spend a few months fixing it yourself".
  • I'm pretty sure he was kidding...again we need a sarcasm tag :lol:
  • Bissrok wrote:
    Original poster, here is your solution:
    Some of us paid to have the developers build a decent game for us. Granted, the issues the OP brought up are pretty weak, but the answer to every complaint isn't always "you can use the editor and spend a few months fixing it yourself".

The developers have been fair enough to make a trial version available for everyone so we'd all know what we'd be spending our money on.

As regards the editor, TorchED is a bonus which the developers were not obliged to either publish or support! It was a choice made out of love for the modding community.

And anyway considering we all like to compare torchlight to D2, D2 had a preset of classes and genders. No customization whatsoever apart from the skill trees. I'm sure someone complained about that also, but it still ranked as one of the best rpg games at the time.
    Torched Templates:
    Map Merchant ; Random Talking NPC ;
    Rashnu's Tear Dungeon @ viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14861
    @ http://vrkmods.viviti.com/
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Lerox wrote:

This alone makes me not want to bother taking you seriously. Anyways, I think the stylized fire fits well with TL. I don't see need for any more flashing lights on an already blinding screen.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • KrayzenKrayzen Posts: 298
    Wait a moment hasn't this happened before, someone complaining and linking magicka..

Like here..
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11527

Or letting everyone know the game was ruined by lack of gender choices..
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3279

Even if this isn't the same person this post and the responses seem similar enough that we can guess where it is going..

To the topic at hand, most graphics are going to be tweaked because effects are supposedly getting toned down, regardless of what happens I doubt you will see realistic effects because they would look out of place against the stylized art from the rest of the game.
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    I also little bit agree with what OP said.. some particles in TL1 were done in generic way and some were quite nice
    I don't think nicer particles will harm the game.. even now TL2 has those torches in overworld where the looks beautiful, and still some fireball effects are fast rotating ball with fast changing tail that looks really strange
    I believe it's question of time spend on such a details
    but as all particles can be modded, I'm not worried anymore.. like these is HD texture mod (that is received very well), there will be particle replacement mod (if needed)
    I think it would be funny if the spells are the only thing that look life like. Think about it.
    cuA6w.png
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    adoomgod wrote:
    I think it would be funny if the spells are the only thing that look life like. Think about it.
    doesn't have to be life like.. it will still be nice and cartoony, but it will look like FIREball, not rotating-smoke-ball-in-red-with-flashing-tail-ball
    No i mean... take it a step further. A game of stick figures where the special effects look like they are out of Resistance 2, crysis, whatever. If they had like super high depth graphics mixed in with cartoony everything else it would be funny. ****, highly rendered realistic heads on characters but everything else is normal. Hahahaha, being able to create a replica of my face on my character would be so funny.
    cuA6w.png
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭
    The game really wasn't supposed to be crysis. The game was exactly what it was supposed to be, a good-if-not-amazing looking game that was fun to play and could be run on low end computers or netbooks. I'm sure the same type of thing will be in the sequel, as far as a large number of people being able to run it, and i'm sure they've learned a thing or two as far as tweaking so that theyll be able to make it look a bit better. Still...ruined? Seriously...it's about gameplay, first and foremost. Pretty lights and sparkly doodads are all well and good (just look at the beauty that is Guild Wars II) but if the gameplay is horrid, no amount of niceties are going to make up for it.
    ItfooQF.png
    ok apparently im not making clear that I'm joking. I love torchlight. I like the stylized graphics. I was just contemplating how hilarious it would be to have half torchlight graphics and half crysis. It's a funny thought. I am in agreement with everyone who thinks that a few touch-up would be nice, but uber-realistic graphics aren't neccesary.
    cuA6w.png
  • cybrimcybrim Posts: 1,107
    NO THE GRAPHICS ARE SO HORRIBLE, it doesn't say much about my character or how the game could be improved, I really enjoyed the first one, it didn't **** and if you have time to complain you have time to mod, so it is up to you to mod a "graphic update"- peace looking forward to TL2
    I am just trying to be fair, if what I say hurts you, you probably need to seriously evaluate what I said, break it down and realize I am not trying to insult you, Just explain things you probably didn't realize.
  • Krayzen wrote:
    Wait a moment hasn't this happened before, someone complaining and linking magicka..
    Like here..
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3279
    Even if this isn't the same person this post and the responses seem similar enough that we can guess where it is going..

Good point Krayzen, why not just let this topic die since it's leading nowhere? :)
    Torched Templates:
    Map Merchant ; Random Talking NPC ;
    Rashnu's Tear Dungeon @ viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14861
    @ http://vrkmods.viviti.com/
  • Lerox wrote:

Looks like Lerox's nickname isn't lost, after all!
    Krayzen wrote:

Like here..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3279

To the topic at hand, most graphics are going to be tweaked because effects are supposedly getting toned down, regardless of what happens I doubt you will see realistic effects because they would look out of place against the stylized art from the rest of the game.

Koron raises the same issues, uses the same examples, and posts with the same level of rudeness. I think that was right on target.
  • Errr... Didn't the devs say that their target was to get the game running on all engines out there? And fire is one of the most complex things to make it look realistic. Also, I don't think realistic fire would fit into the whole game. I'm perfectly fine with those cartoony effects. And they DO look cool, if you use them right.

€dit: Oh, right... I read Korons threads... Was he banned? AKA 'forgot his nick and password'? I recommend repeating this procedure. And closing this thread.
    Errr... Didn't the devs say that their target was to get the game running on all engines out there? And fire is one of the most complex things to make it look realistic. Also, I don't think realistic fire would fit into the whole game. I'm perfectly fine with those cartoony effects. And they DO look cool, if you use them right.

€dit: Oh, right... I read Korons threads... Was he banned? AKA 'forgot his nick and password'? I recommend repeating this procedure. And closing this thread.

Agreed/signed

Also i just learned how to cook creme brule. awesome
    cuA6w.png
This discussion has been closed.