so sick of speculation

TanukiTanuki Posts: 2,205
edited August 2010 in TL2 General Discussions
this is becoming an eyesore, every day it's at least one new speculation thread about something that has already been listed as "part of the game", "not going to happen", or "wait and see".

we really need stickey for that torchlight 2 FAQ that web has been working on.

at this point I don't care about guessing what they are going to do. I'd rather enjoy the anticipation as to what the other two classes will be, etc ... at the same time it would be nice if runic vomited that info up along with the skill trees, then we could shift the speculation to "class builds speculation" and at very lest it would be a bit more productive.
fs_pc.png

Comments

• Good luck with that. Any internet forum dedicated to an upcoming game is always going to be packed with speculation. And the fact that the devs post so frequently on the forum is only going to fuel the flames.
    Paladin Class: discussion thread, download page
    Shared Animations Library: discussion thread, download page
  • cybrimcybrim Posts: 1,107
    Like a read before posting!
    I am just trying to be fair, if what I say hurts you, you probably need to seriously evaluate what I said, break it down and realize I am not trying to insult you, Just explain things you probably didn't realize.
  • enemantikenemantik Posts: 492
    edited August 2010
    What this forum (Torchlight 2) really needs, is sub-forums. The discussion here hasn't been that "general" for ages. Just my opinion. :)
  • gluemchengluemchen Posts: 1,033
    Speculations are fun.
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    I think what he's talking about here is people posting speculation threads speculating on things that have already been answered. On a side note the Torchlight 2 FAQ by Web has been stickied for a while at the top of these forums.
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    If you think this is bad, go check out SW:ToR for a few minutes. This will feel like paradise.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
    Actually these forums are one of my faves. The community as a whole here is pretty **** good if you ask me :)
    Sig.png
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    It's one of those impossibilities, unfortunately. Most of the posts by the high number posters are small corrections or answers to things most of the community already knows. General rule of thumb: people like human answers.

Only nuts like me actually like to read long chunks of information these days :P
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    Webbstre wrote:
    It's one of those impossibilities, unfortunately. Most of the posts by the high number posters are small corrections or answers to things most of the community already knows. General rule of thumb: people like human answers.

Only nuts like me actually like to read long chunks of information these days :P

Lol, a sad but very true statement. Personally I would rather read a little bit and get myself up to date on the latest news rather than being lazy and just waiting on someone else to find the information for me. That way when I actually do post a suggestion or question, it will be an issue that has not been covered or answered already. However, I know that some people would find all that 'researching' to be too taxing for their lazy eyes and fingers lol.
    Sig.png
    yeah the community actually seems to care with this one... we all have our own little nitches that fit us together, we all loathe an opinion or two one another has but we get along pretty well.
    I am just trying to be fair, if what I say hurts you, you probably need to seriously evaluate what I said, break it down and realize I am not trying to insult you, Just explain things you probably didn't realize.
  • AtroxxxAtroxxx Posts: 233
    edited August 2010
    cybrim wrote:
    yeah the community actually seems to care with this one... we all have our own little nitches that fit us together, we all loathe an opinion or two one another has but we get along pretty well.

what you said reminds me of a many a song :D
  • Tanuki wrote:
    this is becoming an eyesore, every day it's at least one new speculation thread about something that has already been listed as "part of the game", "not going to happen", or "wait and see".

we really need stickey for that torchlight 2 FAQ that web has been working on.

at this point I don't care about guessing what they are going to do. I'd rather enjoy the anticipation as to what the other two classes will be, etc ... at the same time it would be nice if runic vomited that info up along with the skill trees, then we could shift the speculation to "class builds speculation" and at very lest it would be a bit more productive.

At this point, Runic isn't even sure what will end up in the game, so speculation is very abundant. If there is anything I have learned about this crew and their game development, it's that they are always changing things, tinkering with ideas, listening to the community and their suggestions, which always leads to many changes in the game. If you were a part of the Mythos Beta, you were accustomed to every build being almost a new game (besides bug fix releases). It kept me so interested, I would count down the minutes until the next build release.

As far as class building, it's way too early for that. The game is pre-alpha at this point, and they still have a lot of core pieces to implement, let alone develop the other character classes. Give it time, Runic is never stingy with their information. And they gotta hold back on some stuff to keep the anticipation.
  • TanukiTanuki Posts: 2,205
    it's not runic I'm complaining about, it's the massive flood of people vomiting up "ideas" simply to suggest something ... anything! this kind of activity worked over in the mmo section because we don't know **** about the mmo, so the possibilities are endless (ATM). TL2 has details announced so we know the limits, yeah true they haven't told us what will be in the boxes but we know the shape and size of the boxes.

things runic has said:
    there will be co-op, but not persistent worlds.
    there will be four classes and a better skill tree, and no we wont be recycling old classes like pallys and healers.
    there will be an over world map, dungeons, and multiple towns.
    It's still Torchlight, and as such will still be running on the torchlight engine: it's been hammered on some more, but it's still the same engine.

so why do people keep spewing out things clearly beyond the boundaries? there's not going to be oceanography where you build yourself a ship and then sail the world using real time air currents, nor will there be RTS mini-games or castle sieges where you can dynamically destroy the environment with Geo-mod effects licensed from Volition.

I mean, ****, they let people play it already! if they are going to let people play it, then for the most part the game is structurally complete. WHAT PEOPLE PLAYED IN GERMANY IS TORCHLIGHT 2 ... that's going to be the same game that ships, it's just going to have more of everything that they showed people.

now I know I'm just being irritable on this, and should expect it from what happened in the TL1 forums after that game shipped (*cough*senselessrespecpotionflipout*cough*cough*), but common people! it's only been a year, not five, and Runic isn't pumping a million dollars into this with a quarter of a million employees. I hate to burst the bubble here, but torchlight 2 is just going to be "Torchlight 1, plus some".

I keep having this image of peoples expectations for TL2 plowing head on into the wall of reality, and it being a carbon copy train wreck of what happened with people expectations for Fallout 2 when that game shipped to reality 1 year latter. don't cry when you get what you get, and it dosen't include orbital lasers or NPC's with interactive voice recognition conversations, because we've been told what it will be.
    fs_pc.png
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    Thats why I mainly inquire and offer suggestions for TorchED 2. So far there's seems to still be a lot that Greg wants to add to it.
    I am just surprised how people don't do their research and come her complaining and it is right there on the main page for them to read, or it has been covered 30+ freaking times!
  • TanukiTanuki Posts: 2,205
    O.O

I felt compelled to voice my opinion, but I was sure that doing so was going to result in everyone calling me an ****. I really didn't expect anyone to agree with me, lol.
    fs_pc.png
    Tanuki wrote:
    O.O

I felt compelled to voice my opinion, but I was sure that doing so was going to result in everyone calling me an ****. I really didn't expect anyone to agree with me, lol.

LOL, you like the abuse don't you?
    Sig.png
  • adoomgodadoomgod Posts: 4,270
    I actually cut back on posting for the same reason, i felt the over posting is tiring even for myself... well i guess this right here isn't helping that... ok im excited to finally have internet in Tuscania, Italia and I feel like talking again. But seriously I'm trying not to repost on a thread until atleast 2 quality, insightful, interesting posts have been added.
    cuA6w.png
    I put the "DOOM" in "****."