Runic Games and BoI2?

StonerMk2StonerMk2 Posts: 109
edited August 2010 in TL2 General Discussions
Runic Game's helping make another game? Appears our beloved dev's are getting quite popular. Check out the story here:

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-08 ... le,1.shtml
1213498071323.gif

Comments

• SimonSaysBakaSimonSaysBaka Posts: 648 ✭✭
    This cant be true, can it?.
    I like Cake!
  • gluemchengluemchen Posts: 1,033
    These news aren`t amusing me at all. If these news are legit, i hope runic doesn`t get pushed on torchlight 2 because of it.
    And i hope this isn`t the alternative answer of PW to continue an IP instead of TLMMO. As for me i`m not really hyped for TLMMO as i am for TL2. I prefer Friendly co-op play over huge play commitment. TL2 is just something that suits me more. Play a bit do something else. Always having the possibilty to play at your desired pace and not beeing influenced by ingame ecconomy.
  • wolfmanewolfmane Posts: 1,997
    See Webbstre's response at the end of this thread http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14548
    sig2p.png
    Not too sure about that i just checked the news on the games official website and if you auto translate it. Runic Games is also mentioned to be involved. http://sgcq2.wanmei.com/news/201008/news0820.htm
    This is bugging me a bit. They even have a time counter on their website saying half a year until release. CB, OB whatever.
    http://sgcq2.wanmei.com/
  • PawsPaws Posts: 1,933
    We're off and running on a third game now?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12825
    PAWS.png
    Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
    Zidders wrote:
    Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
    /swag
  • Paws wrote:
    We're off and running on a third game now?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12825

Except that this time Runic Games involvement with BoI II is mentioned in the official BoI I website.

To quote myself from the other thread:
    The rumor (or not a rumor, time will tell) came from this:
    http://newgame.duowan.com/1008/146223012671.html

Where it names Travis Baldree and Eric Schaefer as part of the BoI II team. (side note: duowan is major chines egaming and mmorpg website comparable to gamespot, ign and mmorpg.com of western world.

The official announcement at the BoI I chinese website also states that members of Runic Games are involved with this project:
    http://sgcq.wanmei.com/news/gamenews/20 ... 2281.shtml
  • MetroMetro Posts: 575
    /drama
  • I don't know what that website says, but we have nothing to do with this game, or any other non-Torchlight game.
  • Article wrote:
    Many of those responsible for the development of Battle of the Immortals 2 are from Runic Games, including Travis, Baldree and Erich Schaefer who all used to work on the development of the great projects like Diablo and Torchlight. With their participation, Battle of the Immortals 2 will be endowed with various brand-new design concepts.

:shock:
  • PawsPaws Posts: 1,933
    Except that this time Runic Games involvement with BoI II is mentioned in the official BoI I website.

And so it was last time. Runic said "nuh-uh!" back then too, as they've done now. We're not out on a limb on this, honest ;)
    PAWS.png
    Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
    Zidders wrote:
    Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
    /swag
  • Paws wrote:

And so it was last time. Runic said "nuh-uh!" back then too, as they've done now. We're not out on a limb on this, honest ;)

The official anouncements never before actually had that statement.

Last time actually was the case of broken telephone.

a blogger or gaming website took announcement/interview about torchmmorpg and announcement of pwi's new game ANDthe video with runic game staff playing fwa bit earlier than others (during christmas) and mashed them together. entire internet then copied it.

this time the actual press release states it. and no it doe snot state that "runic games is developing it" it just states parts of Runic Games are also part of boi II deverlopment team. Duowan interpreted those parts as "Travis Baldree and Eric Schaefer".

Volbard wrote:
    I don't know what that website says, but we have nothing to do with this game, or any other non-Torchlight game.

good to know :P
  • wolfmanewolfmane Posts: 1,997
    The moral of the story is that you trust Webbstre before a strange Chinese MMO's official page.

Repeat after me,"Webbster is all knowing. Webbstre is wise. We dine in supplication of his all knowing knowingness".
    sig2p.png
  • permaximum wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    But the interesting thing is Travis' and Erich's names are mentioned. They are both designers

Exactly this part.

nowhere in the website does it state that "runic games is developing it"

To take my analogy further lets see:

you have a music band, "nightwish" and you have the side project of bassist, Tarot. Then you hear that tarot, who also contains the nightwish bassist, is releasing a new album.

Of course Tarot nor the new album has nothing to do with Nightwish. But the bassist still is involved with it as person and musician.

Runic is obviously not developing anything outside torchlight franchise nor has any connections with other pwe games., but "part of runic", namely those two names, might have some real involvement with it. I think it requires some sort clarification about those individual persons themselves and the extent of work(if they did work in some form on BoI II) they did.
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    It helps that I personally asked Wonder about this before. :P
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    I was just concerened and afraid, because i don`t want to see another flagship happen with such good developers that understand what they do. I guess i can be relieved then.
    Hmmm... I wonder if I can get someone who speaks Chinese to send in a correction to the webpage. It is obvious that the page is just using a translation of one of the aggregated faulty articles, but it's really easy to make mistakes like that when the source is in a language that you aren't native to.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    Chinese, Japanese, Korean put through google translate == completely off.

Im chinese but I can't read chinese, however, it is possible it was referring to them taking inspiration from Torchlight.
    I can handle 85% of Korean text by putting it through a google filter into Japanese (and then by having my wife look at the parts that don't make sense - she speaks Korean as her third language) because they are so similar, but Chinese has this weird crossroads-type linguistics going on. It has what I can only call simplified English grammar with japanese/korean style wording. If that doesn't make sense, don't worry about it.

Anyways, yeah, someone who speaks Chinese should e-mail them :P
  • cybrimcybrim Posts: 1,107
    *epic jaw drop* dang web you got a good one, keep her!
    I am just trying to be fair, if what I say hurts you, you probably need to seriously evaluate what I said, break it down and realize I am not trying to insult you, Just explain things you probably didn't realize.
    cybrim wrote:
    *epic jaw drop* dang web you got a good one, keep her!
    Yes I did :)

I never mentioned in the above post that I studied Mandarin Chinese for 3 years, did I? :P Too bad I never continued with it.
  • cybrimcybrim Posts: 1,107
    You have a good thing going Web, be thankful... cuz some women don't want to learn new things... I dropped my last girlfriend because she didn't want to learn about other cultures and she just wanted to have a family... We were just headed in different directions.
    I am just trying to be fair, if what I say hurts you, you probably need to seriously evaluate what I said, break it down and realize I am not trying to insult you, Just explain things you probably didn't realize.
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Volbard wrote:
    I don't know what that website says, but we have nothing to do with this game, or any other non-Torchlight game.
    Thank you for clearing this up for people who don't believe it lol.

This kind of thing actually happens a lot, when some small site posts "news" that other sites see, but fail to check their sources, leading to the exponential growth of an untrue rumor.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    hawkn wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    Thank you for clearing this up for people who don't believe it lol.

This kind of thing actually happens a lot, when some small site posts "news" that other sites see, but fail to check their sources, leading to the exponential growth of an untrue rumor.

Ahh, the joys of the internet and how grand it is that so much disinformation can travel so quickly.
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
    permaximum wrote:
    Japanese, Korean, Chinese. I don't see so much difference :) You should learn Mediterranean languages. For example Turkish :D Then you can go with Greek, Italian, Spanish.

For the topic, this can't be a mistake. Are you trying to convince me that official web site puts an article translated from some english mmo site for their own game?

Runic was supposed to make an MMO after Torchlight also. As i said before, Erich and Travis probably gave a few ideas about the game and that's all.
    Yup, that's exactly what I am saying. I'm pretty sure it all spawns from that video where a few of the Runic guys were trying out one of the Perfect World MMOs. At Gamescom they said specifically that they have no plans to leave the Torchlight franchise for a very long time.
  • StonerMk2StonerMk2 Posts: 109
    Ah well good to see it sorted out. Personally i always take everything from MMOSite with a grain of salt. Just posted it here to see if it was true or not. MMOSite and their "community" article writers always seem to **** things up.

But its good to hear Runic, in fact, have nothing to do with BoI2.
    1213498071323.gif
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    If only google translate spoke cantonese instead of mandarian, I could partially translate it through listening.

I pretty much stop going to MMOsite, its a mess of a web site and I never found any of their articles interesting enough to read.
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    permaximum wrote:
    Japanese, Korean, Chinese. I don't see so much difference :) You should learn Mediterranean languages. For example Turkish :D Then you can go with Greek, Italian, Spanish.

For the topic, this can't be a mistake. Are you trying to convince me that official web site puts an article translated from some english mmo site for their own game?

Runic was supposed to make an MMO after Torchlight also. As i said before, Erich and Travis probably gave a few ideas about the game and that's all.
    Lol try to learn the different readings for the same exact Kanji in different languages...
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant