[Dungeon]Rashnu's Tear

VenomousRacoonKingVenomousRacoonKing Posts: 184
edited June 2012 in Mod Showcase
So, after a REAAAALLL long time, I've decided to put my little (but partial) mod for show to the community. It's not a complete project yet because the complete campaign would involve about 10 to 12 floors and I only managed to make 3 work so far... I'm having some minor issues which have delayed this project a lot, mostly they're aesthetic issues so I'm just choosing to ignore them for now...

So let me know what you think... download link is below:
Dungeon entrance and gameplay:
- You will find a guy just outside the fish shop, talk to him and accept his quest to open a portal to the dungeon.

- In the first quest you will have to do some minor backtracking because town portals are unusable in the dungeon. I had to do this because some puzzles just have to be solved there and then, otherwise the entire flow of the game would get messed up.

- After you proceed from the first quest onwards however, you will find waypoint portals that will take you back to the starting floor. From there an orange portal will be activated and it will work just like an ordinary town portal in town, which will take you back to the last dungeon you visited. Otherwise you can just use the waygate portal in torchlight.

The storyline cuts off after the third quest, obviously this is as far as I've progressed with my mod... I'm having an issue with the quest completion hoopla not showing up after quest 3, which I'm hoping to solve soon. I had the same issue with quest 2 but then I managed to solve it and I don't know how...

NOTE: it's important that you don't delete the .cmp and .adm files in the folders otherwise the chunks may crash the first time they are loaded.

So anyway I hope you will enjoy it and let me know :)

Storyline:
I'll let you in on a secret you will only catch by word of mouth...
Rashnu was once a great sorcerer who became so powerful that he managed to travel to the land of the dead. There he grew tremendously in wisdom and compassion.
However, when he returned he was dismayed to discover that his body was left behind and he was no more than a wondering spirit. Since then Rashnu's fame grew to match that of a saint and his name was inherited by the desert where his tower stood.

After his disappearance, his followers took over the tower and turned it into what is known today as Rashnu's Magical Academy, where people travel from all over the world to learn the deepest secrets of alchemy.

Times have been peaceful for the last centuries and the need for heroes has been scarce... But lately rumors have filled the air that a dark spirit has been awakened and is causing havoc within the academy. A hero must come to our assistance and look further into this matter for we sense that this dark power is growing stronger...

33258957.th.jpg
15680564.th.jpg 95878305.th.jpg
54148732.th.jpg 85244796.th.jpg
Torched Templates:
Map Merchant ; Random Talking NPC ;
Rashnu's Tear Dungeon @ viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14861
@ http://vrkmods.viviti.com/

Comments

• Hello there.
    I just tried out your mod, I believe it has alot room for improvement, But it's already a pretty neat concept.
    There is some bugs I've ran into though (Or maybe development over-sights?)

*Rashnu's Observatory has no minimap

*After completing Manakel's quest, and you accept Nathani's quest, he still has a yellow quest mark above his head as if there is a quest to turn in, yet it's just normal dialog (The quest log marks the quest you accepted as In-Complete, though)

*In "Living Quarters" some times spells "Effects" don't render at all(very rare bug), yet most of the time they work just fine (Very Odd)

*Where the heck does Tasha come from? The dog just comes out of no-where and assists you :shock: Maybe there should be a short cut-scene event showing the dog coming out of somewhere?

*During the room event when the guy summons the blue crystals, the crystals have no collision, so you can walk right through them (Minor bug, but figured I'd mention it)

*Tasha the Boss(?) Does very little to no damage what so ever. The "hound" had a ton of health so I'm guessing thats why it's dmg output is so low, but it's to low.

Overall I really enjoyed this mod. You were very creative with the level designs..kind of reminded me of Resident Evil with all keys :lol:
    My main complaints about this though, is there is to few enemy's. Plus there is no "Enchanted" enemy's what so ever, meaning if you were level 1 and went through the dungeons, you'd get poor EXP. (Plus much lower chance to get good loot)

This mod has a ton of potential and I really hope you finish this project!

It's to bad your thread here hasn't gotten more attention :(
  • Nice dungeon so far. Thought I would throw you some feedback. ;)

First of all I really like the initial area you have where the three wise men reside. It looks cool with the blue endless water and the rock outcroppings climbing the sides of the walls. It definitely set a tone and mood for the place. I like the touch of plants/trees you had in there too. Maybe add some of that greenery to the dungeons to add some variety. Otherwise I felt the dungeons had a Gauntlet feel to them which was very cool.

I agree with Wizard in that you should add more enemy encounters. Also the beginning is a bit slow. I know you are aware of the backtracking, but it is compounded by the lack of enemy encounters and makes for a lot of walking around doing nothing.

Once things got going, however it was a lot of fun. I especially liked the particle effects you used for when the enemies die. Very nice. The encounter with Gibril was cool as well. I dug the crystals a lot. Once it was over, though, the actual fight with the beetles and then Tasha was a bit underwhelming. They were just too easy to defeat compared to all the buildup. And with regards to Tasha, once she had been transformed I actually had to hit her before she would attack me. Not sure if this was intended. I didn't want to hurt here, but didn't see what else I could do. Maybe that was the point.

Also I am not sure if this was just the end of what you had done or what, but when I got the quest from the third wise man, all I did was talk to him again and the quest was completed. I never actually did anything. Some of the dialogue you have could use some editing, too. It's not too bad but there were a few lines that had redundant word usage and changes in tense.

All in all I think you have a good start and I can't wait to see more. You did a great job setting the tone of Rashnu and you have some really cool effects/encounters. Just beef up the enemies, add more of them, and try to reduce the amount of walking in between encounters. Oh and finish the rest so I can play some more. :)
  • My first comment, yayy!!! Thanks thanks thanks!!

So to reply to your points
    wizard wrote:
    Hello there.
    I just tried out your mod, I believe it has alot room for improvement, But it's already a pretty neat concept.
    There is some bugs I've ran into though (Or maybe development over-sights?)

*Rashnu's Observatory has no minimap

Maybe because this is set as a town, I wouldn't know. Will double check this.
    wizard wrote:
    *After completing Manakel's quest, and you accept Nathani's quest, he still has a yellow quest mark above his head as if there is a quest to turn in, yet it's just normal dialog (The quest log marks the quest you accepted as In-Complete, though)

This is one of those aetsthetic issues i mentioned which I still can't solve.
    wizard wrote:
    *In "Living Quarters" some times spells "Effects" don't render at all(very rare bug), yet most of the time they work just fine (Very Odd)

Never ran into this issue myself, I'd guess it has something to do with the amounts of particle counts per level but there aren't very many particle effects about in that level. I'd say the entire floors have no decorations at all for now.
    wizard wrote:
    *Where the heck does Tasha come from? The dog just comes out of no-where and assists you :shock: Maybe there should be a short cut-scene event showing the dog coming out of somewhere?

When you speak to Andraiu he says that he was looking for Tasha and that after he was attacked he went into hiding. I thought it would come clearly that the dog has some connection to Andraiu and the two were separated when the monsters attacked. You just happen to find the dog in another room by herself. :/ Do you think this gets overlooked?
    wizard wrote:
    *During the room event when the guy summons the blue crystals, the crystals have no collision, so you can walk right through them (Minor bug, but figured I'd mention it)

Yeah I know, it's another of those nasty aesthetic issues... this happens because the creation of crystals is set as a timeline developed in the chunk itself. The way I understand it, for some reason since each crystal is a timeline in itself, when a timeline evokes another timeline which has collision effects, the collission effects for level pieces just seem to be ignored.
    wizard wrote:
    *Tasha the Boss(?) Does very little to no damage what so ever. The "hound" had a ton of health so I'm guessing thats why it's dmg output is so low, but it's to low.

Tbh the damage/hp settings need to be adjusted for higher level characters since this was tested with a level 1 char. With very low level characters the damage is reasonable. Even the skeletons just die with a single hit, which pose no challenge at all.
    wizard wrote:
    Overall I really enjoyed this mod. You were very creative with the level designs..kind of reminded me of Resident Evil with all keys :lol:
    My main complaints about this though, is there is too few enemy's. Plus there is no "Enchanted" enemy's what so ever, meaning if you were level 1 and went through the dungeons, you'd get poor EXP. (Plus much lower chance to get good loot)

This mod has a ton of potential and I really hope you finish this project!

It's too bad your thread here hasn't gotten more attention :(

I'm not too pleased myself with the low rate of encounters and should work on that, but I thought I'd make most of the mod done and go over the details at a later stage.

Well thanks a lot for your support and for taking the time to give me your feedback, it's definitely appreciated. Getting more responses would be cool but maybe everyone's still just on vacation lol
    Torched Templates:
  • Hi REL,
    Thanks for your encouraging feedback too!

I thought purple would make a cool theme for the backdrops, putting the dungeon is a sort of sunset/dusk setting. The idea for the desert *cough cough* came about simply because I had an issue with reducing the amount of tiles per level to make it run a bit faster, since I'm working off a laptop...

For the backtracking part, I should really find a solution since the tower floor is really a buffer level to solve an issue with the waypoints. Other than that it's really of no use at all heh However even in the original campaign there is a small buffer level, eventhough there you are allowed to use town portals but, uh...

I know the levels are a little empty so far and would definitely benefit from a little more decoration. I just found it a bit difficult to place a variety of props all over the place without making it look like the place was falling apart since the crypt theme in TL is that of an old and abandoned place. The magic academy on the other hand should look like living people other than dead ones live there :) Perhaps I can work with some colourful carpets here and there to make it look more decent and try to retexture the bookshelves and add some statues.

As regards the level of green in the levels, the next level will be have a garden theme, I haven't worked on this yet however you should get enough green to suit your liking ;)

As regards the quest logic, it's really strange that the third quest would get completed on accepting it since it worked as expected on my end. The third quest should in fact let you activate the lever in the room opposite the room with crystals to move to the next level. I'm guessing Wizard had this problem too...

As regards the particle effects when mosters die, all credit should really go to Runic since all I did was to activate the 'destroy on death' property.

All in all, I'm really happy you enjoyed the mod. Will post updates when I have any :D
    Torched Templates:
  • Ooh, I haven't seen this before. Probably during me 6-month break from torchlight :P
    I'll have to check it out this weekend (if I can finish my taxes first).
  • Oi, the download link is expired. Could you upload it again? Cheers.
  • Like wizard said, I've had problems with the quest system, the yellow ? which means quest complete, and also the third quest, which gets auto-completed somehow or something... so that the 2nd time I click on the 3rd sage (after accepting the quest), he says nothing... :?

Like wizard said, you should put in a cutscene of Tasha coming out from behind an urn or something. In that room, there were some skeletons and while fighting them, I noticed my dog had turned brown and hovering my mouse over it, it showed a health bar, with the name 'Tasha'. I was like,"WTF?" :? I was confused for a moment in which the skeletons could have harmed me quite a bit if I didn't have the 'shocking shield thing' on. :x

The monsters are very less, and do very little damage. :x Their damage and HP and even the number of monsters should be scaled properly with player level. The loot they provide is mostly normal stuff, with few magic, no rare, no unique items at all. Put in more monsters and better loot. I mean if it's a magic academy, the loot should appropriately be a lot of enchanted staffs and wands. :geek:

Put in some traps, like a 4 brazier sequence, which if done wrongly, lots of enemies would drop down from somewhere and mob you... I mean, it's a magic academy, would there be a password for some of the doors? :twisted:

On the return journey of the 1st quest, put in a lot of monsters, a few lesser bosses. I mean the guy I met before getting the 'lunchbox', said there were monsters everywhere, so I was ready for some action, but nothing appeared anywhere... :?

Tasha does very little damage, even if it has a ton of health. I know you said it was for a level 1 character, but you should scale it with player level. I mean I played this on my 2nd day with a newly made airbender character, when I was level 13, and Tasha didn't even take 20% of my health before I went a bit far and killed it with spells and ranged. I should have had to use at least 1 health potion over it, but didn't have to. She was so weak. :roll:

The concept is very nice and I'd love to see this improved... Thank you for such a nice mod... :D :D :D