Which one: Blender or 3D Max???

SyphusSyphus Posts: 6
edited February 2012 in Design
I have no idea which would be better for modifying models and skeletons...

Any help? :S
I live to create and to destroy, that is the will of the artist.

Comments

• ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    I don't use either very much, but I will say that Max's keyboard and mouse controls offer a workflow that seems to go reasonably smoothly (it's possible this is due to my prior familiarity with Maya's interface, which, while different, is still relatively similar).

Conversely, trying to model things in Blender made my brain confused and my hands hurt.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭
    I just started using both, Blender's free, and 3ds max under a student license. I'm picking up 3ds max quicker than I am blender, so the nudge goes towards Max for me.
  • JarchoJarcho Posts: 253
    Blender defiantly has a steeper learning curve Max, you really have to know your keyboard shortcuts to do anything in Blender. I would still say go with Blender though, it has a much nicer bone system and some useful modeling tools that neither Max or Maya have, there's also the far better UV mapping. There are still a lot of annoying little things in Blender aside the amount of dedication required to learn it, but if you take price into consideration then Blender is 'better.'
  • Ive been using Blender for a while and I only just started messing around with Max. So far, probobly because I've used Blender more, i find modelling on it quite easier and I know all the basics already by watching a couple of tutorials.

Although, Max looks promising and may be more proffesional due to it not being a free program.

I guess all I can do is try and use both, and maybe after becoming some what familiar with both programs, I'll choose one which I will stick with for a while.

Thanks for the posts guys. :)
  • JarchoJarcho Posts: 253
    Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "more professional?" There are quite a few movie studios that use blender and features are added to blender based on their input. I also do know of professionals who use Blender for most of the work they do. (if that came off as defensive, it wasn't meant that way ;))

Also, if you're not already, I would recommend trying the 2.55 beta release of blender. From the little I've looked at it, it seems pretty stable.

I've also found some pretty good tutorials for Maya, Zbrush, and Photoshop here if you're interested in learning any of those.
  • Haha, well I meant it along the lines of Blender being a free program. :P

Yeah I have also been working with the 2.5 beta and, compared to the 2.4 version, i prefer it to not only extra features but the look of the interface as well.

Hey, thanks for the link. Ill take a look :)

Cheers
  • gluemchengluemchen Posts: 1,033
    Personaly i prefer the Max Workflow better. And the possibilities you have managing your materials and creating bones for character rigging is more more to my taste. I might give blender a try at some point. Also having the plugins for 3d studio max to export TL characters is also an additional reason. I guess it`s all about personal preference.
  • gluemchengluemchen Posts: 1,033
    lenthenmartin plese refrain from advertising for other webpages in your signiture. Especially if they are adult rated!
  • Hey i would like to prefer 3DS Max rather than blender personally.it gives me much more better results and much more efficient ones
  • N3MES1SN3MES1S Posts: 211
    Jarcho wrote:
    Blender defiantly has a steeper learning curve Max, you really have to know your keyboard shortcuts to do anything in Blender. I would still say go with Blender though, it has a much nicer bone system and some useful modeling tools that neither Max or Maya have, there's also the far better UV mapping. There are still a lot of annoying little things in Blender aside the amount of dedication required to learn it, but if you take price into consideration then Blender is 'better.'

Maybe thats the only thing that will make Blender the right choice, the uv map editor, but in my case, i cant get the uv map editor working right, even after i read thousands of tutorials. If the idea is to model and modify in one of the engines, also adding textures (And u know how) i will prefer 3d max by far. But in some cases, like me that i use only sketchup to design / modify my models (i dont use TL models) i encounter the uv editor of blender a really useful tool for aplying textures (only in plain sight, as i said i cant get the uv editor working right, even using seams). But againg, Blender can make u frustrated in just 10 minutes of learning, and even 3d max is not an easy one, it is by far most easy than Blender.

If u know how to use 3d max (skeletons, modelling and textures) i think there is no more discussion, if u dont know how to use 3d max.... maybe u should learn blender a bit.. i dunno (but only if u are lucky and gets the uv editor working right).
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    N3MES1S wrote:
    Maybe thats the only thing that will make Blender the right choice...
    that and 3ds max is 3 500 dollars while Blender is free :D
    I don't have a sig
  • N3MES1SN3MES1S Posts: 211
    jamesL wrote:
    N3MES1S wrote:
    Maybe thats the only thing that will make Blender the right choice...
    that and 3ds max is 3 500 dollars while Blender is free :D

LOL. Yup, MAYBE thats another important reason... but we all suposse if he is asking about 3d max, he already got it...