Sound Issues

NitexNitex Posts: 17
I'm not sure if this is just happening to me, or if it's just how the game is. What happens is the sound effects seem to have a very short range. Lets say I'm standing near the entrance to the level and my pet ran off and start fighting just a bit in front of me. While I'm standing at the door I hear no sound effects coming from the fight between my pet and the mob. But, when I walk right next to the fight I start to hear the sound effects of the battle. Does the sound work like this for anyone else? Or is something **** up on my end? I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium with a 5.1 speaker setup, and I have the newest drivers.

Comments

• BasicsBasics Posts: 41
    I believe I have the same issue (I haven't really noticed it was distance related), with sometimes stuttery sound and quite often sound effects disappearing, even when going into melee with the Destroyer =/. If anyone's got a clue, I'd be happy to hear it!
  • i got a similar problem, when i use a portal to get back to town and go back again, some of my sound effects disappear, e.g. casting spells have no sound anymore..
    i then have to restart the game and all is well again untill i use a portal again.

Edit: its not just the portal its allso when it has to load a new level e.g - when you go down stairs.
  • Bumping because I have the same issue. I can go maybe 5-10 minutes having perfect sound then something happens and suddenly the only sound I have is the music. The sound sometimes comes back briefly if I keep spamming spells. This game blew my mind, but the sound issue really dulls it down. Has anyone got a fix for this yet?
  • I also got the same problems as you guys got on the sound, however the sound gets louder when it studders... and the studders was so annoying I turned off my sound and music as both was studdering.
  • also having soundissues, everything seemed to work at first but not long into the game i only had music =/

game from steam on an XP SP3.
  • Bumping because it seems to be a pretty rare issue because no one's talking about it on the forums. I hope the devs see this thread. :/
  • NitexNitex Posts: 17
    You guys should post what sound cards you have, if you know what you have. I'm guessing this isn't an X-Fi only problem?
  • i have an x-fi latest drivers. the only bug that i have is that i can only hear a short distance ahead of me. feels very strange tos ee a fight at the end of the screen but no sound :D
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    As a test, would one of you mind going to the Sounds and Audio Devices area in your Windows Control Panel?
    Open up the Audio tab -
    then for the sound playback device, choose Advanced

There should then be a Performance tab -

Try sliding the Hardware Acceleration to None, and then running the game ( remember to turn this back on when you're done, especially if it doesn't help! )
    And please let me know how that goes-
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    I have 2 problems with the sound

1: I can't hear any footsteps;
    maybe that's not a big problem, but it sure seems to take away a lot of atmosphere; it just seems weird having all this runnng and no footstep sounds

2: the spell casting noise is way too loud; I gave my pet a heal spell and now I'm sorry I did;
    he casts it every 10 seconds and its LOUD compared to the other sounds; even my gunshots aren't as loud as it is
    I don't have a sig
  • That worked for me Travis! I have sounds in combat now. Previously was only getting music and a few other sounds. Running xp, with on board sound...err realtek alc889a if that helps.
    As a test, would one of you mind going to the Sounds and Audio Devices area in your Windows Control Panel?
    Open up the Audio tab -

Try sliding the Hardware Acceleration to None, and then running the game ( remember to turn this back on when you're done, especially if it doesn't help! )

I'm guessing this is for XP? I can't seem to find that in Vista, I think it was removed.
  • That fixed the sound disappearance, but now ever so often static can be heard cracking. Especially in loading screens.
  • SchaFSchaF Posts: 4
    You can also change the sound acceleration in DirectX. Go to Win -> Run and write "dxdiag". You can select the level of sound acceleration on the Sound tab. I'll test this asap.
    I set my speaker options to 2.1 instead of 5.1 to see if that would do anything and it did not. I still cannot find any sort of way to lower vista sound performance. Is there anyway to force Torchlight to use software sound in the config file?

[EDIT]

Ok new little thing I just found. I just used a fish to turn my pet into a ummm... tree, forgot the creature's name but yeah it looks like a walking tree. Well anyway ALL I hear is the tree walking around, it's incredibly loud compared to everything else. I almost can't even hear the music anymore.
  • I am also encountering this problem with sound.
    Has there been any progress or information on this issue?

The same issue has been described in the following threads:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1833
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2072

Travis, turning my sound acceleration off appeared to solve the problem, but this is annoying since other games choke without it.
    I have a SoundBlaster Live card in my PC, and I'm running on WinXP.
  • SchaFSchaF Posts: 4
    Do not turn it off completely, set it to Basic. I have it now at Basic acceleration and it works all right.
  • PookahPookah Posts: 1
    I have the same "missing action sounds" issue, where the sound is fine and then in the middle of playing the action sounds are gone. The music and voices stay the whole time. I played like that for a while to make sure. It gets a bit spooky as even exploding barrels make no sound. I tried going up and down floors and even switching characters and the problem persisted.

Like DrZettl, I have a SoundBlaster Live and Windows XP. I downloaded the game from Steam, if it matters.

I'm going to try switching it to Basic and see if that prevents the issue from happening.
  • Hey! Sorry but my english is bad. Yesterday i have same problem then you. I set in soud card preferences 2 channel mode and now all sounds working perfectly. I have 2.1 Speakers and headphones . Earlier i'd have 6 channel enable and then somes sound doesent working.
  • Can you guys post just the parts of your dxdiag from the top, down to just below Sound Devices?
    Torchlight Arcade - System Requirements - Help & Support - Tech Support FAQ - Torchlight FAQ
    If you are having technical issues, please include the top half of your dxdiag & your ogre log in your post.
    I think its a bit too long to post it all, but here is my dxdiag sound info. Added system info at the bottom.

Sound Devices
    Description: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_00411102&REV_03
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1347 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 7/14/2009 01:53:54, 696984 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Creative
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Digital Output Device (SPDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playback: No
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_198B&SUBSYS_104381F6&REV_1004
    Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.5840.16387 (English)
    Date and Size: 11/1/2006 23:28:10, 273920 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Microsoft

Description: SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_00411102&REV_03
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1347 (English)
    Date and Size: 7/14/2009 01:53:54, 696984 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Creative

Description: Speakers (2- Logitech USB Headset)
    Hardware ID: USB\VID_046D&PID_0A0C&REV_1013&MI_00
    Manufacturer ID: 65535
    Product ID: 65535
    Driver Name: USBAUDIO.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.6001.18000 (English)
    Date and Size: 1/18/2008 21:34:00, 98816 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Microsoft

System Information
    Time of this report: 11/6/2009, 14:25:08
    Machine name: CASE-PC
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090805-0102)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 1981MB used, 14547MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
  • VittraVittra Posts: 17
    Hm, I haven't been having problem with sounds disappearing, although I've noticed with the new patch (Steam) that all sounds rendered appear to be "distant" or from a distance compared to prior where they sounded "closer". Anyone having this issue? Running XP X64 with an Asus Xonar D2X.
    coldnihility.gif
  • As a test, would one of you mind going to the Sounds and Audio Devices area in your Windows Control Panel?
    Open up the Audio tab -

Bumping as I'm having this problem too (music always present, game sound [weapons, footsteps, ambient sound etc] fine to begin with then gets quieter over period of 15 seconds and just stops, NPC voices 95% fine but occasionally disappear) and no solution has been offered yet.

Creative Soundblaster Live & Win XP running on Steam

Setting the acceleration to none disables all the in-game sound for me. Any further suggestions? Thanks
  • SchaF wrote:
    Do not turn it off completely, set it to Basic. I have it now at Basic acceleration and it works all right.

I too have the problem that after a while of playing many sounds don't get played anymore...it seems to me this especially happens after it gets real busy and many sounds have to be played at the same time.

Anyway, choosing the "basic acceleration" option in dxdiag fixed the problem for me.

Cheers
  • RazerRazer Posts: 3
    I have found a solution to this.

It does seem to be a problem with the X-Fi cards. But there is a way to fix it without messing around with the Hardware acceleration. So set that back to max. :)

Go into control panel and open "Audio Console"

Go to the tab "EAX Effects" and disable EAX.

Go into the "X-Fi CMSS-3D" tab and disable that. It should now work fine now.

You may also need to go onto the "Mode" tab and set it to "Game Mode", but this may not be necessary.
  • fyi, I have realtek (onboard) sound, not X-Fi.
    OK, maybe I could have worded it better.

Your culprits are: EAX and 3D Positional Audio.

You need to find some way to turn them both off. Unfortunately Steam is being a bit of a **** at the moment and refusing to let me run any games >:( so I can't check Torchlight, but I don't remember seeing any options for these in the settings. So you need to search for some sound card settings and turn them both off (If you can only find settings for one I find they tend to have been set together.)

I have never been able to understand the excitement over these two settings they have always ruined my gaming.

EAX first annoyed me in the late 90s when I was playing Ultima IX: sounds would go tinny and echoey like at the bottom of a cave. And while playing an RTS, Dawn of War I think, I noticed that the sounds changed depending on where the centre of the screen is and the only way to fix that was to turn off 3D Sounds.
  • Razer wrote:
    Your culprits are: EAX and 3D Positional Audio.
    You need to find some way to turn them both off...

ah ok.
    would switching those 2 settings off be benificial over setting hardware sound acceleration to basic acceleration? (should basic acceleration be avoided because it's eating up cpu cycles or something?)
    I would say yes.

I switched Hardware Acceleration to Basic and took a performance hit.

Side Note: Nice Programming guys! My 6-Year old PC is running Torchlight at max detail with little to no slow down. :D

But when I lowered Hardware Acceleration it ran quite slowly. After turning those two off and setting HA back to full performance was fine.

I have not really noticed a difference in any other game, but The Witcher does seems to be loading slightly faster... (Used to take a week to load a new map, now only a few days. :P ) But I can't check many: most of the installed games are from Steam and it won't let me play anything. :'( "This game is currently unavailable."