Stuttering, lag and hangs

Hello,

I purchased the game today from Direct2Drive. It lags at seemingly random times, and it also hangs when summoning creatures or bringing up menus, even in town. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't crash or freeze, it is simply as if it pauses for a couple of seconds. I read that you should lower particle effects and whatnot but I cannot imagine my system having issue with this. I am not a programmer, but as an experienced gamer, it feels like a memory leak as it gradually got worse as I played.

Specs:

Windows 7 RC1 64-Bit
EVGA x58
Intel Core i7 920
8Gb DDR3
dual raptor HDDs
BFG 285GTX

(But in all fairness it runs much better than I anticipated, seeing the development time and I am enjoying it!)

edit:DXDIAG for my playing display

dxdiag.jpg

Comments

• DLovettDLovett Posts: 26
    Yep, I have what seems like an memory leak as well. Performance is slowly detoriating as time passes.

Since I am also experiencing tearing, I will try to enable VSYNC tomorrow, to see if it makes any difference.

Best advice I could give you is update your DirectX 9 (new release last month) plus video drivers, and cross your fingers.
  • DiggsDiggs Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    I'm also getting memory leak symptoms. Game will run like a charm for about 15 minutes and then slowly go downhill to the point where any more than 5 mobs on screen causes it to chug at like 2fps.

I should note as well, that I am on a semi-crappy few year old laptop and I am amazed at how well you guys did at allowing people to even play this game on such devices. :)
  • I'm getting the same issue, seems to be a memory leak as when I restart the game runs smoothly again for 20 minutes before another restart is needed.

For the Devs:

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit Profesional Edition
    Memory: 3Gb RAM
    Processor: AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 2.00GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GForce 8200M G 1.5GB (0.5GB Dedicated 1GB shared)
  • IlsydeIlsyde Posts: 47
    Risingred wrote:
    It lags at seemingly random times, and it also hangs when summoning creatures or bringing up menus, even in town. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't crash or freeze, it is simply as if it pauses for a couple of seconds. I read that you should lower particle effects and whatnot but I cannot imagine my system having issue with this. I am not a programmer, but as an experienced gamer, it feels like a memory leak as it gradually got worse as I played.

Same here. Specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
    GeForce 9800GTX+
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    Vista 32bit
    Torchlight version is not Steam, bought it via http://www.torchlightgame.com.
  • Just tried running gamebooster in an attempt to get the game running more smoothly. It added maybe 10 minutes gameplay time but it only seems to be a stalling option. Am just using the 30 minute intervals as a break time for my wrist, could be a benefit after all
  • Just tried running gamebooster in an attempt to get the game running more smoothly. It added maybe 10 minutes gameplay time but it only seems to be a stalling option. Am just using the 30 minute intervals as a break time for my wrist, could be a benefit after all

Ha! No doubt.

I went into the settings and turned on v-sync, I lowered particle effects and enabled netbook mode but I didn't see a single change in performance, for good or ill.
    When it does play, it's **** fun, though. But like happyturtle I could use the forced breaks because I have a lot of writing to do. :D
  • VortVort Posts: 46
    I've been getting similar stutters as well. There must be a memory leak. I thought it was steam because it was the only program running in the background except for my virus scanner (that was not scanning at the time).

Win 7
    Core 2 duo 3Ghz
    4 GB ram
    nVida gforce 8800 GTS 512MB

The game only uses about 60% of my CPU so it has to be a leak, right?
  • Vort wrote:
    I've been getting similar stutters as well. There must be a memory leak. I thought it was steam because it was the only program running in the background except for my virus scanner (that was not scanning at the time).

Win 7
    Core 2 duo 3Ghz
    4 GB ram
    nVida gforce 8800 GTS 512MB

The game only uses about 60% of my CPU so it has to be a leak, right?

I am by no means an expert but from what I understand, it's possible. I'd check how much page file you're using during peak play, give it like half an hour or an hour. See how much memory the game is using.
    The good news is that, supposedly, that's an easy fix.