[MOD] Self Sufficiency (resource gathering & crafting)

RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
edited July 2011 in Mod Showcase
Hey folks,

This is an experimental mod I've been chipping away at for about a week. I'd say it's about 70% complete at the moment. I want to add a few more recipes, experiment with some bits and pieces, improve the new maps and make a few tweaks - but the 'meat' of the mod is pretty much ready. I'm hoping to have this finished before the 16th April for entry into the Runic Games Fansite competition (http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/contests/3527-legacy-mod-contest-ends-april-16-2011-a.html).

A big part of the inspiration for Self Sufficiency came from the Emberfiend mod (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11644). I don't know if Ehb, the Emberfiend author is still active, but he had some great ideas and his enthusiasm was definitely inspiring. I'm also the kind of guy who enjoys the grinding, farming and crafting side of games - so it made sense to attempt a mod like this :roll: . Self Sufficiency probably won't suit everyones tastes, but I'm hoping a few Torchlight fans who are looking for something different until TL2 will give it a try and offer some suggestions and feedback etc.

This release is a sort of 'beta' and I'm hoping to get some input and suggestions! All feedback is welcome - did you feel the crafting system was confusing? Was the drop rate on certain resources too high / low? Did you hate the mod? Find a typo? Encounter a glitch? etc. etc! All feedback and input is welcome :!:

Self Sufficiency

Overview
Self Sufficieny is a mod designed to change the pace of Torchlight by introducing a gathering, crafting and resource management system. The player becomes, as the name implies, completely self sufficient and is responsible for gathering resources and ingredients and crafting his/her own potions, scrolls, spells, armour and weapons.

Gold is scarce, but that shouldn't matter. It's no longer required. Everything you could originally buy can now be crafted. Selling ingredients and resources is generally a bad idea, as you'll more than likely need them at some point. Weapons and armour don't (shouldn't) drop either, not even common/white quality ones!

The primary resources are Scrap Metal, Emberwood and Ember Nuggets, all of which are key components in the crafting of weapons and armour. Scrap Metal is obtained simply by killing enemies. The more elusive Emberwood and Ember Nuggets are obtained via gathering, which is done by visiting the 2 new resource gathering areas. These new areas can be accessed via the portals in Town. The portal to Woodlands can be found directly opposite where Vasman, the first questgiver, is standing and the portal to the Ember Depths is located to the left of the entrance to the main mine. These maps are 'safe zones' where the player can gather resources in peace.

There are a variety of secondary ingredients which can be found whilst traversing dungeons. Enemies also drop items such as glass vials, rough gems and ribbons. You'll also stumble across berry bushes and inkweed shrubs, which provide ingredients for brewing potions and distilling ink. There are also plenty of workbenches scattered throughout the dungeons which allow the player to craft 'on the move'.
Recipes introduced in Self Sufficiency
Crafting Recipe: Amulet
A crafting recipe detailing the materials required to craft an amulet.
000iconamulet.png

Crafting Recipe: Axe
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft an axe.
000iconaxe.png

Crafting Recipe: Belt
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a belt.
000iconbelt.png

Crafting Recipe: Boots
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft boots.
000iconboots.png

Crafting Recipe: Bow
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a bow.
000iconbow.png

Crafting Recipe: Chest
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft chest armour.
000iconchest.png

Crafting Recipe: Crossbow
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a crossbow.
000iconcrossbow.png

Crafting Recipe: Gloves
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft gloves.
000icongloves.png

Crafting Recipe: Helmet
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a helmet.
000iconhelmet.png

Crafting Recipe: Mace
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a mace.
000iconmace.png

Crafting Recipe: Pistol
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a pistol.
000iconpistol.png

Crafting Recipe: Polearm
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a polearm.
000iconpolearm.png

Crafting Recipe: Rifle
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a rifle.
000iconrifle.png

Crafting Recipe: Ring
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a ring.
000iconring.png

Crafting Recipe: Shield
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a shield.
000iconshield.png

Crafting Recipe: Shoulders
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft shoulder armour.
000iconshoulder.png

Crafting Recipe: Staff
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a staff.
000iconstaff.png

Crafting Recipe: Sword
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a sword.
000iconsword.png

Crafting Recipe: Wand
A crafting schematic detailing the materials required to craft a wand.

000iconwand.png
Ingredients, Resources & Items
Ember Nugget
A small chunk of Ember obtained by mining Ember veins located in the Ember Depths, vital for crafting weapons and armour.
embernugget.png

Scrap Metal
Worn metal of acceptable quality. Obtained by killing monsters and a primary resource in the crafting of weapons and armour.
scrapmetal.png

Emberwood
Emberwood is harvested by chopping down trees in the Woodlands and is a required component for crafting weapons and armour.
000iconwood.png

Shattering Hammer
A handy tool which allows the crafter to destroy armour and weapons which are no longer required, thus salvaging a handful of ingredients. Shattering Hammers break when used.
hammerx.png

Reforging Tool
The Reforging Tool should be used with care, as they're not too common. Using this tool on a crafted item will completely reforge the item, breaking the Reforging Tool in the process.
reforge.png

Blue Ribbon
A delicate, blue silk ribbon used in the preparation of Town Portal scrolls and spell scrolls.
000iconblueribbon.png

Glass Vial
A small glass vial used in the distillation of inks and potions.
000iconglassvial.png

Inkweed Cuttings
Inkweed Cuttings are required to distill ink and can be obtained from Inkweed shrubs which can be found growing in even the harshest and remote of areas.
000iconinkweed.png

Lifeberry
Lifeberries grow on berry bushes, alongside Manaberries. The bushes are plentiful and often provide a decent bounty of berries when searched. Lifeberries are used in the creation of health potions, or alternatively, as a red dye.
000iconlifeberry.png

Manaberry
Manaberries grow on berry bushes, alongside Lifeberries. The bushes are plentiful and often provide a decent bounty of berries when searched. Manaberries are used in the creation of mana potions, or alternatively, as a blue dye.
000iconmanaberry.png

Blank Parchment
Blank parchment is a key ingredient in the preparation of various scrolls. It can be obtained by searching unwanted scrolls, spells and maps for blank pages.
000iconparchment.png

Red Ribbon
A delicate, red silk ribbon used in the preparation of Town Portal scrolls and spell scrolls.
000iconredribbon.png

Inkweed Ink
Ink used for the preparation of scrolls and spells.

icon_potion_variant_d.png
Crafting Outline & Guide
Put simply, 'Crafting' is done via Torchlight's combining system. The original Torchlight combiner NPC has been replaced with "Workbenches", which can be found randomly scattered throughout dungeons. Additionally, you can find a Workbench in both the Ember Depths and Woodland areas.

To craft a weapon or piece of armour, you'll need to first of all find the recipe for that item. For example, if you want to craft an axe, you'll have to pick up a "Crafting Recipe: Axe" as a drop off a mob, then obtain the materials indicated in the recipe. When you find the recipe, just mouse over it in your inventory to see which materials are required to craft it. See the pic below for an example:

Here we see the recipe for creating an axe:
inventorypreview.png

So, we need to obtain the materials listed in the recipe, then find a Workbench so we can go about crafting the axe. When we use the Workbench, the crafting (combining) interface comes up, to which we add our materials:
examplerr.png

Now, hit 'Craft Item', which should cause a sweet guitar chord (played by yours truly!) to ring out, signalling that the item was crafted successfully!

"Crafting Recipe" scrolls are only required when crafting weapons and armour. To create potions, scrolls, inks, spells and dyes - or to reforge/shatter items, you only have to combine the relevant ingredients, no scroll required. Most of the recipes should be intuitive - however, there are various "Diary Page(s)" which drop from mobs, and these contain useful crafting tips which are worth reading.
Download Link (Beta - 14mb):

http://www.box.net/shared/hugd4d3cgr

Installation Notes

As with all mods, install Self Sufficiency by placing the "Self Sufficiency" folder in your Torchlight mods folder, ie:

C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Runic Games\Torchlight\Mods\

In its present form, this mod is likely incompatible with a lot of mods out there. This is something I'll look into when the project is nearer completion, but for now, I would kindly request that you test this mod on its own and with a new character in order to avoid possible conflicts. It should be compatible with visual mods, such as reskins, pets etc. but if you're using any mods which alter gameplay, there may be conflicts.

The first time you enter the Woodland, Torchlight will likely crash! This seems to be a side effect of using Revility's (awesome) "Cliffside Tileset" (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10602) when making the Woodland map. Don't worry though - the next time you open Torchlight and enter the portal - it should( :? ) be fine!

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    (stunned silence) RMUK this is a freakin' AWESOME mod concept! I'm not too into the crafting "grind" as you describe it, but I'm reacting to the completeness of your vision and the obvious care you've put into building it. Keep up the excellent work!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • kaoticdrakekaoticdrake Posts: 104
    I will try this after I finish my current runthrough of Itemization Mod Overhaul. I'm thoroughly excited to see how this works.
    How does advanced item crafting work? Like magical weapons/armor. Do you use the same recipes or do you have to find other recipes? How often do recipes drop (are they reusable)?
  • RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
    Phanjam, thanks - glad you like the idea! Hopefully I can execute in such a way that it's appealing to a wide audience, without being too grindy - which, admittedly, it is at the moment. Although, that was essentially the plan; to add some strategic thinking to tackling the game. To keep the player on their toes and constantly mindful of the resources at their disposal, space in their inventory and challenges and obstacles presented in the dungeons. I'm trying to give the mod a "****, need to make some more health pots" or "Hmm, might have to craft some better gear for this boss" or "where the **** are all the workbenches?!" sort of feel. :lol:

Kaoticdrake, that'd be awesome if you'd give it a go - and I'm gonna give the Itemization Overhaul mod a try tonight 8-) . But yeah, no one has tested this mod so far, and I've spent the best part of a week with my head buried in maps, spawnclasses, item tables and recipe lists trying to tweak drop rates and come up with ideas that fit in with the theme of the mod. So it'd be refreshing to hear opinions from a fresh perspective.

With regards to crafting; At the moment, the crafting system is fairly simple and may still (probably) undergo changes. Finding a recipe is quite common. This is because there are 19 recipes, and the average class can't use the majority of them. So, when the player finds one of these 'junk' recipes they can't use, it's probably worth holding onto it so that it can later be 'crafted' into blank parchment and put to better use as a scroll / map / spell.

When you craft a weapon or a piece of armour, the recipe scroll is used up in the process and you'll have to find another scroll in order to craft another item of the same type. To make this slightly less of a chore, I added the Reforging Tool, which has a relatively low drop rate and will allow you to 're-craft' any weapon or piece of armour.

Crafted weapons / armour / rings / amulets are created as unidentified random 'magic' items, though this will probably be changed, as I believe that a crafter should be capable of seeing the stats of their crafted piece once it's been crafted, without having to further identify it. It seems potentially anticlimactic having the player acquiring a recipe, gathering the required materials and finally crafting the piece... Only to have to go on to identify it. So, a crafting specific spell or item may be added.
  • 56er56er Posts: 2
    Did you ever thought about taking this (really nice piece of work, I have to say that) to a Throne of Darkness crafting level?
    If you dont know what I mean: In ToD you could find items, equitment, materials and gold. While you could use gold to buy stuff from a smith or a priest, you had to give them equitment first. Then you could "order" the weapon or armor you wanted and upgrade it with a special material (a killed spider droped spider silk for cloth armor, dragons fangs for fire dmg, and so on). This system gives the player the oppotunitie to craft his own weapons by gathering material in the form of unwanted weapons, gold to pay the smith/priest and upgrade them with his own materials.
  • RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
    Hiya 56er,

Thanks for the compliment, appreciate it - though the mod's in very early stages! :)

What you've mentioned sounds like an interesting crafting system, strangely enough I don't think I'd even heard of Throne of Darkness 'til now, but I'll definitely do some research to get a better understanding of the way the game handles the crafting side of things.

I like the idea of farming specific mobs for ingredients, like you mentioned with dragon's teeth adding fire damage to equipment. I reckon that's a concept I'll definitely play around with.

When I first started this mod, I had something vaguely similar in mind. Crafting a weapon or some armour was going to produce a standard quality white item, which you'd then upgrade using various drops such as gems and ingredients. That didn't come to fruition, and I decided to go with the crafting system that's in place currently. Now that it's taking shape, I can definitely see where it needs some improvement and variety in order to keep it interesting - so again, thanks for the input and I'll go do some reading up on Thrones of Darkness.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭
    OOoo...I loved the Emberfiend crafting mod, im gonna give this one a try right now!
    ItfooQF.png
  • KilgoreKilgore Posts: 50
    RMUK wrote:
    Phanjam, thanks - glad you like the idea! Hopefully I can execute in such a way that it's appealing to a wide audience, without being too grindy - which, admittedly, it is at the moment. Although, that was essentially the plan; to add some strategic thinking to tackling the game. To keep the player on their toes and constantly mindful of the resources at their disposal, space in their inventory and challenges and obstacles presented in the dungeons.

I like the way you think. I have a very similar design goal with IOM.

I love the scrolls you made. What tools are needed to make those? Did you just shrink an existing image and place it on the scroll? I would like to do something similar but I lack the artistic ability to draw a stick man.

Best of luck in the contest.
  • TenkaTenka Posts: 1
    I registered just to find out where this Mod is up to, seemed to kick off with a lot of energy, good ideas and competency but there's been no word in over a month.
    I understand people have s### to do but I'm quite excited about this since I love crafting but generally hate MMO's.
  • Bump -

would love to see advancement of this mod come back to life. I have been working on an email marketing campaign regarding games and the topic for this month's newsletter involved best modifications to our favorite games. Bring it back and I will try to add a nice little write up. Only issue is that I won't market a mod that isn't even in existence. Let me know what's up crew...