REAL GEM ART - finally finished and available

GrimclawIrontoothGrimclawIrontooth Posts: 14
edited September 2011 in Mod Showcase
Hey Torchlighters,

Real Gem Art provides players of Torchlight with more pleasing and realistic looking socketables. Enjoy.

Screenies:

Eyeballs:

8863414ceea0b51e70ff498aa4b954ecd763fdeef0165d78a511247c3933eeb84g.jpg

Assorted Embers:

7933341ec791db17b90a2ecba5674ad88d7c9a22357ff1abb1568f46fc6009704g.jpg

12283a51b8b5992feb3ad9bea4c4470e3a43da2ae2f1437911dc96f313439dfc4g.jpg

Core Ember:

9ca57b72cc2b209949b894c68cce4128684c0377eaa66cc7869137053a6eab6d4g.jpg

Skulls:

38c82685663e1753420a6bd9ddb7b93f714d4b965fa4912815758222a1cca97d4g.jpg

This mod does not change gameplay in any way.

Real Gem Art simply replaces the art files for the socketables in the game. It is compatible with any mod that does not change the artwork for socketables.

Portions of this mod were inspired by Brandon's excellent roman numeral idea. Thank you Brandon.

This mod has been thoroughly tested, and is fully functional.

PLEASE SHARE THIS MOD WITH OTHER TORCHLIGHTERS AND SITES DEVOTED TO SUCH.

Feel free to use any portion or all of the contents of Real Gem Art for anything your heart desires. I hereby grant unto thee Full Rights of Usage.

DOWNLOAD

The Real Gem Art mod may be downloaded here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?q25h6el2tqrf83t

Installation Instructions:
To install, simply unzip the contents of the Real Gem Art.zip into C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\mods.

Any questions, comments, or requests may be sent to: [email protected]

Comments

• Of course, I included a few gems from Diablo II. I HAD TO! ;-) One must pay homage where it is due...

Sincerely,
    Grimclaw Irontooth
  • RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
    Hey Grimclaw - These icons look great, will definitely try them out in game - Thanks for sharing :)
  • Thanks man. Took me the better part of a week. Enjoy.

If anyone reading this is a talented programmer, please click this link. I need some help with something. It is still in this Forum. Thanks.
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17424
  • Have I joined the Mod Frenzy for this game too late or something?

6bd71b33d07c1179818076d55df30336d3dcf166970e8032be641db8fc495b624g.jpg

These gems are IN THE GAME, and FULLY FUNCTIONAL
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    The next big mod frenzy will be after Torchlight 2 comes out. Right now things are pretty slow.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • Ok, what is the deal guys? Be honest with me now. Why is there no interest in this Gem Set? This blows my mind. I have scoured the world for other gem mods, so I have seen what is available out there. Not much. Nothing even CLOSE. Not that those guys didn't try hard, and have good ideas. They did, but the resulting socketables were still pretty much just blobs of dull color, with some roman numeral lines drawn half-way over the top of them. They just didn't look like GEMS, or SKULLS, or EYEBALLS.

So, seeing the need in the community, I set out to fix the problem, regardless of the huge time sacrifice required, I did it. More than a week later, I finish. After pouring my heart and soul into these socketables, I can step back from my work, and honestly say without a doubt:

THIS IS THE BEST GEM SET AVAILABLE ONLINE FOR TORCHLIGHT. PERIOD.
    (Show me a better one. You can't, because there isn't one)

So, where is the love? Are u telling me that my efforts have garnered a grand total of ONE positive feedback? ONE?! really?

I just don't understand.

Sincerely,
    Grimclaw Irontooth
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    I think you're expecting too much recognition for a mod that was released 18 months after the game was released, that is pretty but isn't something huge like the Shattered Ley. You might get more recognition if you post it on RGF, as that's the only mods database that is still active, but even then I wouldn't expect many replies. This just isn't the season for it.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • TuishimiTuishimi Posts: 220
    Nice set, man... don't take it personal... a lot of people have stopped playing the game, or play only occasionally and don't check back here very often. What's the green goo-looking thingy in the set, what crystal is that?
  • VelariVelari Posts: 376
    So are the icons outside of the D2 ones all original? Obviously I recognised the D2 ones as I glossed over the images :P If all the other ones are original, that's a decent bit of work.

As for your issue of recognition, beating your own chest is not the way to get it. Putting down other modders and/or mods is definitely not the way to get it - if anything, I'd say that's a good way to lower people's opinion of you and/or your work.

Instead of stepping back from your work and saying "this is the bestest thing ever and you can't show me a better piece of work, it's unpossible!" ... put your work out there, step back from it, and let it go. If it's good, people will like it and it will spread, regardless of whether you stand on a rooftop with a bullhorn proclaiming that it's amazing and people should give it a lick.
  • You're right Velari. I apologize. I was feeling frustrated when I wrote that post.

I hope that all you **** Torchlight players who are still exploring the game enjoy the gem set.

It's a truly fun game, and I recommend it highly to everyone in my gaming circle. I wish I would have found it sooner.

Good Luck and Good Gaming to you all...

Sincerely,
    Grimclaw Irontooth
  • LighthammerLighthammer Posts: 60
    You're right Velari. I apologize. I was feeling frustrated when I wrote that post.

I hope that all you **** Torchlight players who are still exploring the game enjoy the gem set.

It's a truly fun game, and I recommend it highly to everyone in my gaming circle. I wish I would have found it sooner.

Good Luck and Good Gaming to you all...

Sincerely,
    Grimclaw Irontooth

You took the critisim in good stride so I don't see anything else needed to be said there, except its nice to see posters back down when they realize the circumstances. You don't see that enough anymore. Far too many people in game communities are far too cocky for their own good. Its especially frustrating when its obvious they don't know enough to know what they don't know.

As far as feedback goes, here's some honest feedback: I won't use this mod largely because the gems don't match the look and feel of the rest of the game.

I use a modified version of this:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5711

I like that mod because it helps you more easily quickly identify the gems.

With your mod, you generally do use similar shapes but there are a number of exceptions with the basic gems. Particularly, the diamonds (I think) are using something totally different from everything else. You really should have picked one style and stuck with it. It would be akin to writing a letter using dramatically noticeable fonts in different areas of the document for no apparent reason.

As far as ease of identification goes, the Skulls and Eyes don't seem to follow a noticeable pattern. Once again though, with the skulls, you have one that looks completely out of place against everything else (The 7th one).

I'd suggest taking these two items into consideration when making later mods (or perhaps tweaking this one). I would suggest asking yourself the following questions when designing the mod:

#1.) Who is the target audience? Once again, like I said, all the gems don't seem to match the rest of the art style of the game, however, that might not be a problem because your target audience might not care about that or they might be using other mods that make the rest of the game feel the same way.

#2.) Does the mod follow a logical flow? I think I touched on this enough.

#3.) Does the mod improve the performance of the end user? Since I didn't touch on this specifically above, I guess I should. If I have three gems in my backpack all of the same level and two look identical except for their coloration and the third looks completely different, am I going to be able to quickly and easily identify them or am I going to need to take time to hover over it and read it. That sounds like it only takes a few seconds, but think about how frusterated you get in Torchlight now when you are looking for set items and some of have blue backgrounds, some have yellow backgrounds and some have green backgrounds. You certainly cant identify them at a glance, can you ?

I hope that feedback helps.
    Truth is a three edged sword.
  • elizabethpwalkerelizabethpwalker Posts: 12
    edited May 2011
    I hope that feedback helps.
    it does! thank you :!:
  • WarfranWarfran Posts: 2
    I just came back to Torchlight after not playing for ten months or so and wanted to completely mod it out for a new experience.

And I have to say this is by far the best Gem mod out there I could find, great job Grimclaw.
    With this mod and about 15 others including SorrySoldOut's excellent texture mod, this is like playing Torchlight 2 for me lol.
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    While I'm lurking around...

I like the idea, obviously the gems needed to be changed in TL1, but this mod isn't all that spectacular.

None of those new images fit the art style of Torchlight, they look out of place. The skulls and eyeballs are the most unattractive, they look like random images you shrunk to size. I don't even know what those things in the last two rows are supposed to be.

The core ember idea is what I like most about it, simple and effective. I can imagine whoever is transmuting the pieces of core ember getting them mixed up because one little stone ball looks exactly like the other, so hey, let's stamp some numbers into it! xD

The crystal skull is awesome, the art is cartoony enough to fit in the game and makes for a quick laugh.

So yeah, like many artists, you may have spent a lot of time on your project and feel that's it's incredibly cool now, and it's cool that you made this, but later when the high wears off, you'll see what you could have improved.

Also, lol, this is from April so sorry for the necro-trolling xD
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭
    This is just badly photoshopped stuff. If you're expecting kudos for shopping stuff that really doesn't fit the art style of the game in any way, shape or form and that consists of artwork taken from other games instead of artwork you did yourself, I don't know what to tell ya.
    ItfooQF.png
  • WestonWeston Posts: 1,004
    Looks nice. Shame the gems and whatnot are so small in the inventory, loses a lot of detail.

Thanks for the mod.