Adding new Armour models to Torchlight?

SupernautSupernaut Posts: 62
edited August 2011 in Art and Sound
Hey there, it has been a long time but I've been looking at modding Torchlight again recently, but I've come stuck with adding new armour. I've no problem with adding new weapons and such but I'm confused as to how to get the new model to display, the main thing seems to be the wardrobe system which I don't quite understand.

I've looked around the forum and the documentation that came with TorchED, but cannot seem to find any information on new armour models. So I would appreciate some help from anyone, if they are of course able to. :P

Recently I tried adding a new helmet, the model works fine in TorchED as I am able to preview it, and I thought I would be able to edit an existing .dat file to make it looking the correct directory, unfortunately this just crashed TorchED.

Am I just doing it entirely wrong, or is it not possible to add completely new armours to the game?
Would play Torchlight more if I didn't have so much work to do. :(
While I should be Working.

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Hi Supernaut! Certain armor pieces show up on your character because there's actually a complete .mesh file of your character already wearing that particular armor set (you'll see these armor set .mesh files in the wardrobe folders of the player classes).

I'm not 100% sure but near as I can make out, the game then "calls" the appropriate part of those .mesh files depending on what you put on. So if your Vanq puts on a Valkyrie helm, the "helmet" segment of the vanquisher_valkyrie_set.mesh gets used for her helmet. If she puts on gunslinger gloves, the "gloves" section of the vanquisher_gunslinger_set.mesh gets used for that, and so on.

Again as near as I can make out, the main armor mesh segments are: helmet, chest (which includes the arms and legs portions of the mesh as well), shoulders, boots and gloves. Some of the character meshes also seem to have a "face" and a "hair" segment too.

So it seems to get new armors into the game you'd need to make a .mesh of the character wearing the complete set, and that .mesh would have to be "breakable" into the standard armor segments that the game will understand and be able to use like the stock armor set meshes. Each .mesh would have to be partnered with a .skeleton file (I am not sure how that all works) and a .material file (for texturing instructions).
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • SupernautSupernaut Posts: 62
    Hey Phanjam, I eventually got it working, but not by using that method. In the armour section of the Unit Editor, there is a tab called wardrobe. I went through each class and changed it to select the .mesh I wanted, this method worked for both the Destroyer and Alchemist but failed for the Vanquisher for some reason. Forgive the helmet in the picture, it was just a test haha.

massivelyoversizedhelmet.png

As you can see the mesh is huge on the alchemist, presumably as you say, each class has a mesh with the full armour set (correctly scaled). I think I will try your method as well, it seems quite reasonable.

*edit* and what happened to the mod forums, they used to be full of people! :P.
    wow! I am always in awe of people who can work with 3D models. And I think new model silhouettes are something that will really spice up the TL1 game once again.

So far, the furthest the community has gotten has been to remove parts of meshes, like with Demolos', ReggiWatson's and BOYRaNmA's work to remove the vanquisher's cape, gloves and boots. A few totally new models have popped up now and then, but there always seemed to be trouble getting them into the game :( .

Is the syncing of movement of the helmet and character meshes all automatic with your method? Because it then stands to reason that you could get all manner of new stuff onto the standard models this way, giving them completely new silhouettes :) ! How far would you say this still has to go, before you get to testing the helmet in-game (not to push...)?

On your comment about where everyone is... I think everyone has found other things to keep them occupied until TL2 comes out :)
    Torchmodders
    Yeah all the animations and stuff work correctly, I believe all it does is take the .skeleton data for the different 'mounting' points such as; head, chest, legs, whatever. And then the mesh will be attached to that bone and follow the animations as a normal item would.

I think I could go test it in game now without any issues, I'd just have to spawn it. ;D

Works in game now, still ridiculously oversized because I didn't bother scaling it but it seems to be fine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15500257/2011-05-30_00002.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15500257/2011-05-30_00001.jpg
    wow again! I really hope you keep at it and get 1 or 2 new sets out :D I'd offer help but I have zero 3D modeling skill. But if you can use it, I'm pretty decent with textures :D
    Torchmodders
    Heh, I will try, hopefully it doesn't go crazy on me. :P
  • bradster91bradster91 Posts: 197
    wow that helmet is sick! I wish I knew how to do this stuff. Talented you are sir.
    ogtuw.png
  • How did you get TorchED to recognise a new armour mesh? because mine don't appear in the wardrobe's dropdown list, and it doesn't let you type in a path.

Not being able to use them kinda defeats the purpose, so any help would be appreciated :D

Edit: nvm, you have to add it to the TorchED directory, not just the mod's. Obvious enough lol
    signature-small.png
  • :roll: I think I could go test it in game now without any issues, I'd just have to spawn it. :lol: