Bwample1Bwample1 Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in Art and Sound
something I am working on
m0u4M.jpg

*not my concept*

Torchlight 2 by Runic Games

concept art by Mike Franchina

http://cghub.com/images/view/125325/

I would love to make these kinds of weapons all day.

Comments

• AttackGorillaAttackGorilla Posts: 1,656
    Looks pretty awesome :) , but poly count looks a bit high. Wish I new how to make cool models like that :(
  • Bwample1Bwample1 Posts: 28
    yeah i am not finished this is just the high poly model in Zbrush next is to make the super low model and then transfer the maps.

thanks for the comment.
    =]
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Bwample1! Any plans to try characters? :D
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
    umm not at the moment I am trying to work on things like weapons and environment props so I can fill up my portfolio an try to apply to a game studio I wish Runic Games had a position open I would love to work for them. Hopefully after Torchlight 2 they might have a spot I dunno.

soooo no I am working on weapons and environment assets.

=]

thanks for the comment.
    Still a WIP but really close to being there.

kww65.jpg

I can get the poly count lower too just wanted to upload a WIP. The texture needs work as well some fixes here and there.

*not my concept*

http://cghub.com/images/view/125325/
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    That's really good, bwample.

A quick recommendation for the final product:
    You might wish to shrink the texture horizontally -- a 512x512 texture for a weapon is a bit high, given the distance it will generally be viewed at. Since TL supports non-square texture sizes, a 256x512 texture would be closer to the standard sizes for weapon textures while still retaining a fair amount of the detail you've put into it.

It's not absolutely necessary of course, and you'd probably also want to test it and make sure it still looked okay (shrinking textures in one dimension only can get a bit wonky if you aren't sure how to do it right), but that's what I'd recommend.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
    what about the poly count? Do you know what the standard count or limit is for a weapon?
    Runic's standard poly count for weapons is 100 - 280 tris. However, you can go a little over without any real problems -- I myself recently made a few weapons that were in the 320-to-340-ish range.

364 is probably pushing it, so you should try to aim for below that and reduce it from what it is now.
    But, in my experience it's not absolutely necessary to hew to Runic's requirements, if you really can't get it down below, say, 300-ish without ruining the look of the weapon, so I wouldn't worry too much about the poly count. Getting it lower is good, but where it's at right now is more "it would be good to get it lower" rather than "it NEEDS to be lower" -- mid-300s isn't going to cause some big noticeable disaster unless many multiple copies of the same sword are being dropped all over the same area at the same time. Even in that unlikely scenario, the worst it'll probably do is slow the framerate on slower computers.

It's also worth mentioning that shrinking (or increasing) texture size usually has a bigger noticeable impact on performance than adding or subtracting a few extra polys.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:

• Thats a cool looking weapon, Love the texture on it, just beautiful.
    I like Cake!
    Some other stuff I am working on.
    Just block out.

gL6U7.jpg

*not my concept*

http://cghub.com/images/view/86196/
  • QmEJX.jpg

A character that was created from my concept for a 24 hour character jam.
    I had torch light in mind when creating this Forest themed Gladiator. The light brown will be texture into wood and the darker brown will be leather.
    Let me know what ya think of the start of my guy.
  • e4Wii.jpg

working on some textures.
    great texturing work bwample! I hope we see lots of new-monster work from you for TL2! ;)
    Torchmodders
  • I hope its okay if I use this as a sketchbook post.

A texture I am currently working on.
    a0FSj.jpg

its about 30% there still a lot of work to go.
  • 7qqsq.jpg

WIP 2
    these look like "veins" of ember running through rock. where were you planning to use these? :)
    Torchmodders
  • I was gonna make the texture for a mutant football field.- phanjam

What I am also working on you guys might have seen it in another post. Gonna put this into
    Zbrush and work it our from there.

Bg7YU.jpg

this is not my concept but just my model.

concept by
    http://poopviking.cghub.com/
  • N3MES1SN3MES1S Posts: 211
    Great weapons, i must say i am thinking on start to learning some weapon modelling by myself, and i saw this post and i needed to write here since it is almost the same work i wanted to do (i mean modelling 2 handed axes/swords). But since i only have skills on sketchup, i will need to export the model of sketchup to a .3ds file, and my question is ¿does 3d max handle .3ds files?? i suposse yes, but im hope i am not wrong, cuz i really can create very cool weapons on sketchup (is specially great on low-polygon non-organic models) and anyways is the only 3d app i have experience on lol. Anyways, my doubts are how to finish the work once i have the model and texture exported on 3d max, i read the runic games tutorial but i am not sure to understand some things and the tutorial is a bit small.
    N3MES1S wrote:
    my question is ¿does 3d max handle .3ds files??
    Yes.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:

• E418V.jpg

Something I have been working on for 30 mins after my work shift for a couple of days.
    very nice! hope to see this as a monster mod in TL2 :D
    Torchmodders
    ZBrush (and it's free companion, Sculptris) are great fun, and are invaluable programs for making things for higher-end games, but polysculpting for a game like Torchlight is complete overkill, and shoehorning it into the pipeline would very likely be more trouble than it's worth. (Which is not to say you couldn't try to, if you really wanted.)

Given that, I think Nemesis might just be sculpting that gargoyle head for fun, rather than for a mod.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:

• N3MES1SN3MES1S Posts: 211
    Bwample1 wrote:
    E418V.jpg

Something I have been working on for 30 mins after my work shift for a couple of days.

30 minutes???????? holy shxxx man, u are the fastest modeler ive ever seen xD. That organic model will take me about 1 entire day lol....

Good job, btw..
    Xlu8I.jpg

My Zbrush model.

*not my concept*

h8ZrR.jpg

something I have been posting in this forum and working on here and there.

Zbrush model WIP

Tried to make it feel like Torchlight a little bit.
    Bizarre! But very nicely done :D I'd think several times before running up to one of these!
    Torchmodders