total noob collision question

jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
edited August 2009 in General Modding
as stated in the thread title, I'm a total noob with 3d modeling
I have downloaded Blender, read through some tutorials and made some basic objects.
Blender includes a game engine and physics so its fairly easy to animate stuff like "ball rolling off a cliff and bouncing on the ground"
I've even been able to export some blender files and view them in the Ogre mesh viewer (haven't figured out how to export animations yet, although the exporter is supposed to be able to do that)

so yes I am clueless :D

but what I'd like to know is how collisions are handled by TorchLight. Are they something handled by the game or something I have to make ?

If this is a really stupid question.. well.. what can I say ? :D

for example: let's say I figure out how to use Blender to create a building with a door.
are the collision areas something extra that I create with Blender and export with the building ?
or do I just insert my building mesh into preditor and use preditor to mark the door walk thru-able and mark the walls as not walk thru-able and that's it ?

all the Blender tutorials I've read assume you're making meshes for use with the Blender game engine, so they don't even talk about exporting collisions; its more like: select physics from the menu, press the collision button to assign the collision attribute to the object and that's it;
so I doubt I can simply export the collision property as part of the mesh

I'm not asking for a Blender tutorial because I know that's way beyond the scope of any reasonable reply, I'm just asking if marking areas collidable is something I do in blender or in preditor ?
or am I just completely confused and I'm asking something that doesn't even make sense ?
I don't have a sig

Comments

• heronheron Posts: 637
    hey james,

im not sure how collision will work in TL but i can tell you how it works in fate.

props

if you make a chest prop, the simplest way is to create a basic cube around the chest then export it as .col file.
    once that chest spawns inside the game it will use that collision.

towns

for a town scene, lets say a house .. we can use the same method as described above then export as town.col

monsters

this one im not entirely sure but i would use a cylinder object as collision.
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    hey thanks !
    that helps

I did find this old thread on the other forum where they talk more about collisions (i even posted on it, but forgot all about it)
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/rgffor ... smax#p2933
    its just beyond my understanding at the moment though
    and I'm still trying to figure out how to do helper points with user defined properties in Blender
    I know those were used extensively for FATE with 3dsmax so I assume they'll be used in TL also, but figuring some things out in Bender is ... difficult :D
    I don't have a sig
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    you're welcome!

are you planning on writing a blender tutorial for TL? haha
  • kaylonkaylon Posts: 42
    jamesL wrote:
    hey thanks !
    that helps

I did find this old thread on the other forum where they talk more about collisions (i even posted on it, but forgot all about it)
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/rgffor ... smax#p2933
    its just beyond my understanding at the moment though
    and I'm still trying to figure out how to do helper points with user defined properties in Blender
    I know those were used extensively for FATE with 3dsmax so I assume they'll be used in TL also, but figuring some things out in Bender is ... difficult :D

After reading the post you mention this is kinda how they seem to be doing it...

idcol01.jpg

Granted I've just used the user properties to define the MatID but I'm guessing it will be something like this, probably a custom flag on the actual material being used but the result would be the same (with supporting code)

You simply define which MatID has collision (is walkable) and the engine reads this. So in the above sample the walls have collison and the wooden strips and either side of the floor as they are all Mat ID1...

Hope the that helps...probably wont LOL... have no idea how you'd set that up for blender, I assume with any export tools, plugins etc it might be possible.

K
    chsiglogo02.png
  • heron wrote:
    hey james,

im not sure how collision will work in TL but i can tell you how it works in fate.

props

if you make a chest prop, the simplest way is to create a basic cube around the chest then export it as .col file.
    once that chest spawns inside the game it will use that collision.

towns

for a town scene, lets say a house .. we can use the same method as described above then export as town.col

monsters

this one im not entirely sure but i would use a cylinder object as collision.

You are correct in every case here. The only real difference is we just use a standard file format with an extension of *.mesh. You basically export the visual and then export a collision mesh. Most collision meshes are cloned so we don't have a whole lot of them - wall here, floor there. Monsters, chests, NPC's are indeed a cylinder.
  • AttackGorillaAttackGorilla Posts: 1,656
    I imagine once TL comes out the community will start writing little tutorials and such once we all get our hands on it.
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Is ogre free? i downloaded blender, but i never got to learn how to use it because my computer 'crashed' (all too literaly), and i have to buy a new computer. so i figure i might as well learn the modeling system the game uses anyway.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
    http://www.ogre3d.org/download

ogre is really for c++ programmers

and yes, its free
    I don't have a sig
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    ****, so i need to learn to program too? it was on my list, but i can't find any classes to learn it at... :roll:
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
    photoshop and blender are all you really need to know to mod Torchlight
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=288
    I don't have a sig