New to the game, couple quick questions

S0DAS0DA Posts: 16
edited July 2011 in Destroyer Discussions
Hey all! First off this game is great (thanks for bringing it to XBL Runic!!!). So I always play tank/warrior type classes in RPGs.

I am mainly going with Bezereker Skills on this guy. I understand it is the more offensive tree. So a couple quick questions if I may.

1. Why do people say not to use duel weild and use 2 handers?

2. Besides wasting points on Duel Weild skill, is there any downside to switching to 2 handers later if I wanted to?

3. Any reason to bump Magic and Dex stats other then to equip certain gear?

4. Any other pointers?

Thanks

Comments

• I personally think 2 handers are **** because they are slow and DONT have a skill to invest in to boost its damage. Best berserker IMO is 2 fast weapons with as high DPS as you can get. Try and get life and mana steal on them as well. Use Devastate and Titan stomp and invest the rest into Armor mastery, martial weapons, dual wield, and get the Haste spell along with a few levels of defensive spell mastery.

The reason I say this is:
    1) 2 fast weapons means more life and mana steal
    2) More chances to crit
    3) Devastate gets the bonus from dual wield mastery
    4) It plays faster and looks cool

2 handers are poo. You stand there swinging your club like an idiot while monsters hit you. I have tried both kinds of Destroyer and 2 handers just seem sub-par. Don't bother with sword/shield either unless you just want to play some kind of hybrid and need the defense. Theres no need for defense with DW if you rip the monsters apart in waves before they have a chance to hit you.

Oh and to answer question number 3, just increase Strength and Defense mainly, and invest maybe 20 points in Magic and Dexterity to equip gear, and rely on enchants on currently equipped gear to give you the Magic and Dex bonuses you need to wear better gear.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Conventional wisdom around the forums, for play on Hard and especially Very Hard, generally favors 1x1-hander + Shield.

The usual cited reasons are:
    1) on the difficulties where the monsters are doing serious damage, you need significantly more emphasis on Defense;
    2) High Blocking and high missile deflection are key defensive factors, and a shield is the best piece of gear to give you significant base levels of both of those features;
    3) At high difficulties, a big portion of your attacks are really Attack Skills, and except for Dual Wield, the only contribution that the second weapon makes to Attack Skills is whatever enchantments are active on the weapon. Shields have active enchantments, too.

The same arguments, in slightly modified form, are generally the arguments against 2-handers, along with them averaging somewhat slower than 1-handers. Though one advantage of 2-handers, if you play them carefully, is that you can use the extra reach as sort of a very short range, high hit power ranged weapon, and learn to hit the on-coming stream of baddies before they can really hit you. With a weapon with the power to 1-shot most flunkies, or with significant knockback, this could make up somewhat for the reduced protection of no shield.

dreamrider
  • im playing VH with a duel wield. kinda regret it lol. i die... die... then die some more. but its fun. i like a challenge. instead of added damage modifiers on the weapons i add armor and defense mods.
  • NythainNythain Posts: 527
    dreamrider wrote:
    3) At high difficulties, a big portion of your attacks are really Attack Skills, and except for Dual Wield, the only contribution that the second weapon makes to Attack Skills is whatever enchantments are active on the weapon.
    This isn't entirely true. There are at least 2 skills the Destroyer has, his starting slash and devastate i believe (whichever one says he runs forward attacking with all equipped weapons) that will use the DPS from both weapons when determining their damage. How they are doing this stays a mystery to me unfortunately, because it's something I really wanted to fix/implement into my new Vanquisher based class.
    My TL2 Mods:
    No More Scrolls - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=43701
    Change Enchanters - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=43659
  • What I seemed to find was that having 2 weapons equipped increased that strange number next to my strength stat. From then on, skills that claimed to use a percentage of weapon dps were actually doing damage within the range of those strange numbers by the strength stat. This included(but was not limited to) devastate, titan stomp, and slash.

If you die alot with DW then your weapons are ****. enchant each to like 30% with the highest dps, fastest weapons you can get. Its important that you have a good amount of life and mana steal as well. I died once on very hard, because I fell asleep.

If you are going for a fast high damage build, then you have to go full on, and not try to compensate your defense. Just go all +melee damage % and elemental damage and stack that **** on. Think of it as damage mitigation...like the best defense is a good offense. If you kill the monster before it can hit you twice, while other builds allow the monster to hit you 4 times, then thats 50% damage mitigation lol. Of course other builds surely would have higher defense...but certainly not 50% more than the other builds.

Shields are junk. You can max block without it, and the pidley amount of resists you would get from it are worthless.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    What is strange about the number next to your strength stat?

Quote from the cursor-hover label for that stat: "Melee damage you currently inflict". That is, somewhere within that range, with your currently equipped weapon, on a per-hit basis. Remove your currently equipped melee weapon altogether and see what happens. (The reason you retain a residual 2-3 point hit is because it IS possible to punch an Ember Mycon in the "nose" barehanded - once.)

dreamrider
  • OletramOletram Posts: 4
    I'm gonna use this post just so I don't make a new one for my question:

I found this helmet that gives "+1 Leve to Defensive Spell Mastery Skill". No big deal, here it is:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3446/helmetkg.jpg

But my Defensive Spells did not increase 1 level. For example:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1008/spelllevel.jpg

So, obviously, my question is: WHY?! O.o
    (I've being playing for a couple of weeks, and not even daily... so, sorry if this is something obvious that I didn't understand)
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    It's possible you have to put at least one point into the actual skill before a modifier like that will affect spell level. I'm not sure. But that would be the first thing I'd try.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • OletramOletram Posts: 4
    I see... I'll try that.
  • KevinKevin Posts: 8
    Arkham wrote:
    It's possible you have to put at least one point into the actual skill before a modifier like that will affect spell level. I'm not sure. But that would be the first thing I'd try.
    correct. at least one point to "activate" bonus