BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
edited October 2011 in Mod Showcase
please delete.
brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
"If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide

Comments

• automatedautomated Posts: 229
    Holy mind-blowing post! Great read. One of the best written tutorials I've seen on the net in a long time.
  • SeerSeer Posts: 2,445
    Superbly written! Thank you very very much for sharing Brixtan. Although we shouldn't use it for public mods (the art style of certain items or tech specs might not fit anyway), it may have potential for personal mods.
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    Thanks - appreciate the compliments. My goal was to provide this as a learning tool for individual, private use only. I'll get around to putting up the second piece soon (as in Bashiok's "soon" TM) ;)
  • RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
    Brilliantly written, Brixtan. First class tutorial there, definitely sticky-worthy! Hopefully this gets the views it deserves and inspires folk to get started on some modelling and modding of their own. Waiting patiently for Part 2 now. I'm interested in learning exactly how you do the armour side of things. Been a bit busy here as I'm moving abroad in 2 weeks, but I'll try and make some time to learn armour creation :geek:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge :!:
    RMUK wrote:
    Brilliantly written, Brixtan. First class tutorial there, definitely sticky-worthy! Hopefully this gets the views it deserves and inspires folk to get started on some modelling and modding of their own. Waiting patiently for Part 2 now. I'm interested in learning exactly how you do the armour side of things. Been a bit busy here as I'm moving abroad in 2 weeks, but I'll try and make some time to learn armour creation :geek:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge :!:

Your welcome - anytime! I just finished the second part this morning. I think I've covered everything item/armor modding related so give it a read-through when you have some free time ;)
  • This is a superbly written tutorial (and far easier to follow than my own :lol:)

Nice work Brixtan.
    signature-small.png
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    Now that I'm more familiar with what all the terms and file types represent (and **** around with Red Sonja's texture lol), I read through this again and it seems waaaaaaay easier than before. Now the only obstacle left is not getting scared by all that data on screen when I open Blender :cry: :lol:
    DarkTails wrote:
    Now that I'm more familiar with what all the terms and file types represent (and **** around with Red Sonja's texture lol), I read through this again and it seems waaaaaaay easier than before. Now the only obstacle left is not getting scared by all that data on screen when I open Blender :cry: :lol:

If you're just breaking into it, then yes it can seem a bit much. Just take it a step at a time. It'll become increasingly intuitive, trust me. ;)
    edited October 2011
    unled1utl.jpg

It took me longer to figure out what I did wrong with the .dat file than it did to actually import the weapon xD

Some notes:

-For anyone wondering how to rename the "Sulfuras" files when you get the "Outliner" section, just CTRL+Click the names and you'll be able to edit them.

-I didn't see where Brix said to rename the texture (the .PNG) so I renamed it to "sulfurastex" after I was done exporting the weapon. If you guys do this too remember that you have to edit the "sulfuras.material" file to reflect the change. I only had to change it in two parts (the file is small, hard to miss where).

-I made this a Mace in Torchlight instead of the polearm, the weapon scaled down automatically in TL (I didn't edit the scale in Blender) so that's cool. Like Brix pointed out, you also have to edit the .DAT to reflect this.

-When you're aligning the "grip point" of the weapon, you don't have to be exact, there's no specific area where the weapon and pink dot will magically "click" together (as far as I can tell anyway lol). You just estimate where you want the character to grip the weapon and line up the pink dot with the weapon there.

-When you split the screen into 4 parts in Blender, if you can't see the options Brix points out in the images try resizing the windows/panes to reveal them. They're there, but there are so many options and buttons that it can't all fit on the screen at once.

-Oh yeah, and I know I'm awesome and everything, but please don't ask me to send you any files, I can't afford a lawsuit lol
    Thanks again Brix for the tutorial and Dusho for the necessary import/export files. I don't know if it's necessary but I'll state it anyway that Brix and Dusho didn't send me any files and gave me minimal instruction. I used this tutorial for most the process and worked out a few hiccups along the way. Now I'm pretty sure I can import almost any WoW weapon to Torchlight :)
    Thumbs up tails - great work there. Knowledge is power! :)