database

leoleezleoleez Posts: 276
edited August 2009 in General Modding
will there be some sorta database where people can upload content to so that everyone can get content they desire? Like what if I want weapons that were created by users would there be a database to go to to acquire weapons that people have made? I think this system is used in GalCiv.
former mythos and D2 player
UNs i've used: leoleez, leodaknight, leotheknight, zealotlee, etc.

Comments

• OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    Just gonna quote myself :p
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=179
    Hope it answers you question
    Omnifas wrote:
    Runic will not be hosting mods:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106&p=1141&hilit=hosting#p1116
    Volbard wrote:
    By the way, we're not planning on hosting mods. If we did, then we would have to be responsible for moderating them, and I really don't want to be the mod ****. I'm hoping the community will want to put something together to organize and maybe rate the mods. It would take some work and maybe a lot of bandwidth, depending on how it's set up, but it would also be a big draw to the site.

It'll be a community thing.
    Current I only see two fansites planning on hosting mods:
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/
    has the blog concept setup already, hosting is not up yet.
    and
    http://www.runicinsider.com
    I think it is only in planning stages and not implemented yet, may be wrong though.

Then webbstre went into detail on his idea for his site:
    Webbstre wrote:
    Yeah, we're going to do mod hosting and so will Insider apparently, but I think we are looking at doing it in different ways.

Since we moved to a new server we are looking into new ways to handle the mod distribution at RGF. I'm afraid that the blogs thing might be a bit difficult for people, so I am looking at other options as well now. Either way, I am sure there will be plenty of options available for getting your mods :D
  • leoleezleoleez Posts: 276
    kool, sounds good to me, I just don't wanna look through 40 sites to find mods I like
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    My guess that RGF, Insider, and the first one or two other sites that establish themselves (if they do it quickly) will basically cover everyone's needs. Chances are that since most people in this community frequent more than one site you will see the same mods up in more than one place, which is pretty good since it means there can be mirrors.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    either way someone is bound to create a list of every mod and link to one of its threads.
    A list of every mod? After a month I doubt it would be possible :P
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • JaknetJaknet Posts: 191
    Webbstre wrote:

If they are only being listed on a couple of websites, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to keep a list up to date. I can see the problem getting harder the more sites mods are placed on.
    Nostalgia... Isn't what it used to be.
  • I like RGF, so i'll probably host my stuff exclusively there :P with my own site as a mirror
    then maby upload them to other sites after a while.
    Sushi Helm Visual Fix - Forum - Download
    My Portfolio
    Jaknet wrote:
    Webbstre wrote:

If they are only being listed on a couple of websites, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to keep a list up to date. I can see the problem getting harder the more sites mods are placed on.

Whoever's making a mod can always PM the creator of the list and that'll be how he maintains it.
    I am just guessing that with the mod databases on each site being in different formats and with numerous smaller mods being uploaded all the time it would be difficult to make one complete list. After a while it would be like trying to list every creation in the Sporepedia X_X

But variety, options and quantity are all great things to have :)
  • leoleezleoleez Posts: 276
    *sigh* I was hoping for some sporepedia like thing, but I understand that they do not have the resources for such a endeavor. It would make people's lives so much easier if something like that was available, but then again it would be too massive to handle