Torchlight 2 for owners of Torchlight 1

vileguyvileguy Posts: 31
edited September 2011 in TL2 General Discussions
I purchased Torchlight pretty much as soon as I heard about it. I think it was technically a preorder. I read that it was a singleplayer game, but that multiplayer was in the works. I then came to find that several days after I purchased the game, the company posted that the multiplayer version was going to be a separate release. The only reason I bought this game was because I was promised multiplayer in the future, but it was not clear at the time of my purchase that this was going to be an additional purchase. I am not much of a singleplayer gamer; ever since I started playing games online with others, this is all I do with little exception. I certainly would not have purchased Torchlight if there was no promise of multiplayer.

Now I played Torchlight 1 for a few hours, maybe 10, and it was a fairly fun game, but it was also pretty disappointing. If it were multiplayer, I probably would have gotten my money's worth and been relatively pleased, but I had some problems with the game's system and it couldn't keep me interested when I'd rather play other games with friends.

My question is: will there be any subscription fee for the game, and is there any discount on the $20 purchase price of the game for owners of Torchlight? $20 isn't a lot of money for Torchlight 2, and $40 is still cheap for a multiplayers game, but I can't help but feel like I was deceived into purchasing Torchlight.

Comments

• DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    TL2 is going to be a third the price of most games nowadays, I don't know how a 66% discount for such a huge game isn't enough xD

I guess you could wait a few months and there might be a sale on Steam or something.

Also, no subscription fees, $20 and you play all you want to your heart's content.
  • vileguy wrote:
    I purchased Torchlight pretty much as soon as I heard about it. I think it was technically a preorder. I read that it was a singleplayer game, but that multiplayer was in the works. I then came to find that several days after I purchased the game, the company posted that the multiplayer version was going to be a separate release. The only reason I bought this game was because I was promised multiplayer in the future, but it was not clear at the time of my purchase that this was going to be an additional purchase. I am not much of a singleplayer gamer; ever since I started playing games online with others, this is all I do with little exception. I certainly would not have purchased Torchlight if there was no promise of multiplayer.

If you believed Torchlight I had multiplayer, it was your misunderstanding. Runic never "promised" such a thing. Runic stated that they planned to make an MMO (a separate game) after the release of the single player game. That was 100% clear. You were not "deceived."
    The Basement My random mini-dungeon mod
    Here comes Leviathan! Starch 2 mod
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Yeah, the only party at fault here is you. It was very clear that TL1 did not have multiplayer.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • hawkn wrote:
    Yeah, the only party at fault here is you. It was very clear that TL1 did not have multiplayer.
    and to add, not that I want to be rude or anything, $19.99 for a quality game is just beyond me...I mean compare it to the other Steam titles for the same price...I believe I've had my money's worth well spent at 20 dollars and It's still on my laptop for two or so years now. I believe Runic got ripped off by that price but then again that's Runic being nice to everyone's budget <3 :lol:
    Stop making Torchlight 2 a Diablo 3 wannabe, stop asking why it's not competitive. Shut up and enjoy the **** game.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    You weren't decieved, you just didn't do your research well enough. Not their fault. As far as you not liking the game..there WAS a demo, you had a chance to play it before you bought it.Again, if you'd bothered to look things up and do some research before you bought something, you wouldn't feel like you wasted $20.

As far as being promised multiplayer...no, we weren't. It was always promoted as a single player, with the devs stating that they would be working on an MMO at some point after the single player game came out. Plans change.

You're getting a great single player game, a great multiplayer game, and possibly a great free to play MMO at some point. Ever heard of the phrase 'looking a gift horse in the mouth"?
    ItfooQF.png
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭
    Going to parrot the others and say that unfortunately it was your own mistake.

Torchlight 1 = Single Player, moddable
    Torchlight 2 = Multiplayer, moddable
    Torchlight MMO = Massively Multiplayer, no mods, secure servers.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭
    No one was deceived since the MMO which will probably still be F2P will "eventually" come. So even if you were correct and you were "promised" free Multiplayer, they still haven't broke that promise.

The MMO hasn't been cancelled yet.
  • JerichJerich Posts: 1,665
    If $20.00 is out of your pricerange there will likely be a steam sale within the first 6 months for $10.00. Just watch for it.
  • Webbstre wrote:
    Torchlight 1 = Single Player, moddable
    Torchlight 2 = Multiplayer, moddable
    Torchlight MMO = Massively Multiplayer, no mods, secure servers.

Torchlight 3 = Return of the Dwarves-i
    ..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
    "Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
    "There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
  • Really? Someone tricked you into purchasing a singleplayer game?
  • Isn't it like 15 dollars now I just remembered? Torchlight 1 is 15 dollars now according to the Runic Mainsite
    Stop making Torchlight 2 a Diablo 3 wannabe, stop asking why it's not competitive. Shut up and enjoy the **** game.
    I believe it's still $20 on Steam, but I picked it up for like $2.50 for a friend not long ago...
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • You can say what you want, but I spent hours researching it before I bought Torchlight. It was made very clear that the game did not have multiplayer, and it was also made very clear that they were working on multiplayer for torchlight.

In contrast, it was not made clear that the multiplayer that was in development would require an additional purchase, let alone that it would be a separate title. This was posted a while after I made my preorder. There also was no playable demo when I bought the game. I've already said that $20 isn't a lot and neither is $40, but I have no idea of how much content is in Torchlight 2 so I can't know if it's a "huge" game, nor do I know if it's quality. I didn't care much for Torchlight 1; as a big Diablo fan, I found it to be a poorly done clone of a diablo clone (see Fate). There were many things I didn't like about the game. Now I wouldn't say it wasn't worth the $20, just that I didn't want to buy a singleplayer only game. I bought it with the belief that I would be able to take advantage of multiplayer in the future. I was not under the impression that this was to be a separate release, and it was not clearly stated that it was at the time of my purchase.

I don't expect any discount, the price is fair, I was asking if there would be one. It is also not my fault that I was under the impression the game was going to have multiplayer added in, it was the fault of misleading advertising. It would be nice if there was some reward for players who purchased Torchlight 1, even if it's just a cosmetic item.
    I can find no further way to respond without making it sound unintentionally insulting, so I'm just going to leave it at: http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&ix=c ... ultiplayer
  • PawsPaws Posts: 1,933
    I can't find anywhere it was advertised beyond "multiplayer could be modded in with enough creative people behind it." Mind you, I also couldn't give a full list of the number of sites, reviews, and player discussion that derided the game for not having multiplayer and citing it as a reason for the reason not to buy it except pasting in a google link. I'm sorry you made a mistake, but there's no award currently planned for TL vets.

Edit: Dang, Webb beat me to the link idea!
    PAWS.png
    Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
    Zidders wrote:
    Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
    /swag
  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    Paws wrote:
    ...but there's no award currently planned for TL vets.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

Classic. Absolutely classic. You've made my evening!

- P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • MetroMetro Posts: 575
    vileguy wrote:
    You can say what you want, but I spent hours researching it before I bought Torchlight. It was made very clear that the game did not have multiplayer, and it was also made very clear that they were working on multiplayer for torchlight.

Baloney. At no time did any developer say anything like that at all. Only fans/players were suggesting/wishing for it.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭
    vileguy wrote:
    It would be nice if there was some reward for players who purchased Torchlight 1

There is, you're getting a $40-50 sequel four times the size of the original that comes WITH multiplayer for $20 (even less if you get it on sale).

Oh, and btw, from Runics official Torchlight website FAQ

http://www.torchlightgame.com/faq/#faq16
    "Q: Will I be able to play Torchlight online?

A: Because of the relatively short development window and tiny development team, we decide to focus our efforts on making a complete single-player experience. However, we are already in development of a massively multiplayer action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight for future release."
    Yeah...very, very sneaky of them to hide that info in plain sight like that.
    ItfooQF.png
    Perictione wrote:
    Paws wrote:
    ...but there's no award currently planned for TL vets.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

Classic. Absolutely classic. You've made my evening!

- P.

Ah whooops, this is what I get for posting while I'm working on clients' SNS too. :oops:
    PAWS.png
    Zidders wrote:
    /swag
  • Off-topic regarding Torchlight awards for buyers: Remember those stuff included when you buy a boxed game back then? Monkey Island has that rounder thing for key codes where your cd key is based on the images of the pirates and if I remember Ultima gave out a map and artbook along with the game?
  • JerichJerich Posts: 1,665
    vileguy wrote:
    YI have no idea of how much content is in Torchlight 2 so I can't know if it's a "huge" game, nor do I know if it's quality. I didn't care much for Torchlight 1; as a big Diablo fan, I found it to be a poorly done clone of a diablo clone (see Fate). There were many things I didn't like about the game. Now I wouldn't say it wasn't worth the $20, just that I didn't want to buy a singleplayer only game.

I think you raise some valid points. A lot of people shared your critique of TL 1, being as it was a game that was developed quickly and didn't have the breath or scope of the Diablo 2 games. I actually made a thread of critiques after the first game. It also looks like their decision to delay the MMO and make a multiplayer TL 2 first surprised you. Here are my answers based on my experience at PAX and released information.

Content
    Torchlight 2 will have so much more content than TL 1 that it is hard to even compare it to the original. Here are the content highlights:
    • A real story this time, with professional writing, real quests and actual cinematics.
    • Four Acts, with Three main Quest Hub Towns this time
    • Six, Sprawling sandbox style outdoor areas, each between 3-4 times bigger than the largest Torchlight dungeons and filled with quests and dungeons. Each will have its own tileset. You will be able to skip a lot of them (and go straight to the main quests), or take an hour or two clearing them for side-quests, bosses, etc.
    • Multiple outdoor more linear, pass style areas that connect the big areas and help drive the plots. Each of them uses a slightly different tileset than the six big areas.
    • 9-12 dungeon tilesets, most likely at least 4-6 dungeons per act.
    • A finale Act that is primarily dungeons.
    • All level randomization is improved to make it less linear and more varied (like D2). Honestly their levels look much better than what I've seen of D3 so far.
    • The outdoor ares make it so it is not just Down Down Down Linear Linear. In practice... it feels really good. Like D2 (the first game did not have that feel)

Quality
    Honestly, the quality is going to be so much better this time around, it is almost hard to believe. Here are some highpoints:
    • The characters will no longer share half their skill trees with each other. Each will have between 20-30 unique skills.
    • Each has a third resource mechanic that makes their game play unique. These character concepts are really good.
    • The skills seem much more inspired this time around and are not just filler.
    • Itemization has been drastically improved with better modifiers, less **** modifier spam, more targeted uniques, better (and completable sets), less broken enchanting system, and has been expanded to follow you all the way to the level cap.
    • New Game+ mode this time around (like Diablo's nightmare)
    • The Stat system has been drastically improved with more interesting stat mechanics. Many of the passive skills from TL 1 have been moved to the stat system. Item requirements have also been improved to facilitate a variety of stat builds.
    • And it's multiplayer, so you can play with your friends.

No longer Free Multiplayer?
    I am guessing that you listened to some of Max and Travis' early interviews on Torchlight 1. The original plan for TL 1 was to introduce players to the world and then immediately start making a Free to Play MMO that was financed by non-gamebreaking microtransaction. If that plan had stayed, the MMO would likely have been in Alpha and Beta now. What happened, however, is that Torchlight did MUCH better than they expected and the general fan and critic consensus was that they wanted a multiplayer version of Torchlight before the MMO. Runic listened to them, and decided to use the tricks they had learned with Torchlight 1 and make a VASTLY improved sequel with multiplayer. They actually went over the top on this one and added so much content and production value to it that it is crazy. That is the main reason why it took them two years to create it (as opposed to TL 1s 11 months).

Unfortunately, because they are not financing it with microtransaction, they will have to charge for it. The ridiculous thing, though, is that they are charging only $20.00 for it. That was a good price for the first game, but this game is over three times as big with dramatically improved content. It is a crazy price for what they are offering and only possible because of online distribution like steam.

You are not alone in your dissapointment. I was mostly interested in the MMO and actually stopped posting for a while when they announced TL 2 instead of the MMO. I enjoyed the first game, but it didn't have the replayability of something like a Diablo II for me. What I've seen of TL 2, however, after playing it at two PAXes and talking a lot ot the developers has convinced me that I will spend 100s of hours on it. I predict it is going to be one of the best games released year (in a year of good releases). So yes... I would say a one time purchase of $20.00 is a good value for this game.

I hope that answered your concerns.

- Jerich
    P.S. Information on the main site has been a little slow lately, but there has been some good coverage of the game to give you a good idea. If you are interested, check out my PAX coverage on Runic Games Fansite.
    The problem with that though, is most games (PC at least) are heading towards digital only distribution. So in game items are going to become more common. Though I will miss my silly game posters.
    I7OBI.png
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭
    Research is useless if not cited. In other words:

"LINKS"
  • hawkn wrote:
    The problem with that though, is most games (PC at least) are heading towards digital only distribution. So in game items are going to become more common. Though I will miss my silly game posters.
    It's just for future prospect but I do hope the future boxed version of the future Torchlight chapters would have something non ingame inside the boxes as reward for buying the boxed version(a figurine perhaps, an alchemist ember glove?) but that's all wishful thinking ^^; . The 1st game featured a free weasel pet along with the boxed version :P!
    Which was quickly modded in. Now, a collectors edition, with a bust of something, would be cool. Though I'm no fan of paying $150 for a map, a bust, and a soundtrack...
    I7OBI.png
  • pothbpothb Posts: 220
    vileguy wrote:
    You can say what you want, but I spent hours researching it before I bought Torchlight. It was made very clear that the game did not have multiplayer, and it was also made very clear that they were working on multiplayer for torchlight.

You need to learn how to research better. Because hours of researching it, and not be able to find out that it did not have multiplayer is quite a failure.
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    I need to stop clowning around but...
    d4bn3y wrote:
    Wow you guys are dicks...

xD
    DarkTails wrote:
    I need to stop clowning around but...
    d4bn3y wrote:
    Wow you guys are dicks...

xD
    Mostly me! That, and a smartass!
    I7OBI.png
    pothb wrote:
    vileguy wrote:

You need to learn how to research better. Because hours of researching it, and not be able to find out that it did not have multiplayer is quite a failure.

At a guess, plugging the search into Google does give the TLMP thread here on the forums. Had someone taken that at face value, without delving further, the possibility exists.
    PAWS.png
    Zidders wrote:
    /swag
This discussion has been closed.