Trap +% damage?

VodageVodage Posts: 80
I did a search and I couldn't find any solid info. What do traps apply the "+% to all damage" to? How is it applied? Does it increase the enemy's damage taken? Or my damage?

If it's +% to all damage, is that all weapon, spell, & pet/minion damage? Or is it really just adding damage to the trap itself? If so, why is it saying "all damage"?

Does the trap add this damage in a radius, or only to monsters that are hit by one of its projectiles?
Or is it a buff you receive for the duration of the trap, no matter what distance you are from it?

Would then maxing flechette/shock/fire traps stack your +damages? The total would be ~200% in that case.

Comments

• VodageVodage Posts: 80
    Upon observing the damage I'm already doing with a level 2 shock trap (level 10 pet mastery), my guess is the +%damage only applies to the trap. It would be OP if it also applied to anything else. Just leaves me wondering why it says "+% to all damage". Maybe it means all trap damage? Traps synergizing each other? Or is it just a weird way of writing the hover text?
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Your PM asked me to look particularly at this thread, but I am afraid I have zip data or useful comment on this aspect.

dreamrider
  • kevynspeedkevynspeed Posts: 30
    i'm actually interested in knowing what attributes could i add to make my Vanquisher's traps more deadly/// though in someways its has been quite OP by its own
    so far my build with Marksman/Shot traps combo has been quite effective :D
    now i'm looking forward to just purely using traps and pet damage
    dollars___logo_vector_by_xxkaiserxx.png
    "Dollars exist and always be there"
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    kevynspeed wrote:
    i'm actually interested in knowing what attributes could i add to make my Vanquisher's traps more deadly/// though in someways its has been quite OP by its own
    so far my build with Marksman/Shot traps combo has been quite effective :D
    now i'm looking forward to just purely using traps and pet damage
    Not sure if it'd work but try equipment with things like 8% To All Elemental Damage. Test the Fire/Lightening Traps with and without that kind of bonus to see if there is any change in damage. Also think about trying Elemental Overload Spells. If Overload does improve damage then put points into Offensive Spell Mastery if you can spare them.
    Pet Mastery benefits Fire Traps and Shock Traps.
    It is likely but I can't prove it that any pet damage gear enchantments will pump at least these two types of trap as well.

dreamrider
  • zekromzekrom Posts: 114
    dreamrider wrote:
    Pet Mastery benefits Fire Traps and Shock Traps.
    It is likely but I can't prove it that any pet damage gear enchantments will pump at least these two types of trap as well.

dreamrider
    why only fire and shock traps?
    petmastery benefits ALL traps.
    yes i think gear also does benefit. basically traps can be considered as pets.
    Hey, zekrom,
    Did you find that by experiment?
    The only documented source statement I have been able to find about Pet Mastery and traps is the releas notes for v1.15, and some posts that refer to that same statement. The release notes only mention a change to make Pet Mastery buff shock and fire.

dreamrider
  • MortalMortal Posts: 38
    Since a thread like this is already here, do traps benefit from the critial strikes skill or do they act like pets and have their own seperate critical chance?

Also, are the enchanting shrines in dungeon more effective than the enchanter in town? I read somewhere that the one in town gives level 1 enchants, the ones in dungeons give character level enchants. I just want to confirm this.

And is devouring trap worth taking if you`re playing around with fletchette and lightning trap?

Edit: By the way, how does reflect work? If I have 100% reflect missiles, does that mean that I don`t get any damage from missiles?

Edit again: The questions just keep piling up. I noticed that needle arc`s damage over time is only half of what is shown on the skill description. Is this some bug or do monsters on very hard have 50% resistance to it?

And here comes another one. Are my resistances percentually affected by defense points? Whenever I equip an item with resistances, I see my resists go up more than they should.
    1. Actually, I thought that pets DID benefit from the character's Crit Strikes Skill, but not from any of the character's gear crit enhancements - but I haven't done trials and could be wrong.

2. Enchanter in town bases results calculations off the (hidden) item level, which will be close to but usually somewhat higher than the level requirement of the item. The risk of disenchantment at the Enchanter is also 2% per successive layer of in-game enchantment.
    Shrines base results calculations off the current character level, which will fairly quickly outdistance the fixed item level, after the moment in time when you find/pick-up/gamble up the item in question. max character level is 100, max item level is about 60, max level of a mundane (no enchantment) base item is about 30-35. The risk at Shrines is +1% per layer of enchantment.
    So Shrines are much the better place to attempt a series of enchantments.

3. Conventional wisdom, reported by a number of trap users, is that a 1-2 punch of devouring trap - flechette trap is devastating, and pretty much makes other trap investments moot.

4. Damage reflect doesn't really "reflect" in the sense of keeping damage off your character, it just sends the stated amount of damage back onto any striker. Now, it figures the reflect regardless of your Armor and other protections, so it is possible to wade through a mob of low-lifes, take no real damage, and have them all die from bouncing strikes.

Missile reflect is totally different. Missile reflect does keep the missile damage from hitting you, if it works. All % chances of missile reflect are additive, with the reflected shot doing variable amounts of damage according to the component reflect affixes. Example: Character has 50% chance to reflect 120% of missile damage, 30% chance to reflect 80% damage, and 20% chance to reflect 50% damage. Total chance to reflect missile damage is 100%, so character will not take damage from most ordinary shots (more on that later.) Shooters will take 120% of the potential damage from the bounced shot 50% of the time, 80% of the bounced damage 30% of the time, and 50% of the projectiles impact 20% of the time. There are bonuses to shooting that some high-level monsters can have that counter some of the reflect percentage. Also, there are some ranged attacks, most prominent among them the red lightning of Dark Zealots, which are not treated as "missiles", i.e. no reflect.

5. I think that this is because monsters have armor values and resistances. You will note that the "floater" amounts of damage to your person are only the amounts that get through your protections. The same is true for monsters.

6. Yes, all resistances are multiplied by the Defense Attribute, as is Armor. This is why increases in Def ahouls generally be valued above increases in Armor whe evaluating new gear.

dreamrider
    Thanks, that was very helpful.

About number 5, I don`t think that is the case. Whatever creature it is, a low level troll, a high level troll, skeleton, goblin... they all take exactly half of the damage over 10 seconds stated in the skill description. Seems as though the skill description is inaccurate or that monsters all have some special resistance to bleeding 50% (on vh, haven`t played other difficulties). However I think people would have found out already with TorchEd so I`m guessing it`s just the skill description.
    Actually, now that you mention the difficulty, my guess would be that the VH setting is halving the Skills damage.

dreamrider
  • OrangeMintOrangeMint Posts: 203
    I am currently going down the trap tree myself and I was wondering the same (sorry, I don't mean to jack the thread). I actually found some magic armor pieces that give a 3% boost to fire damage, does that apply to the fire trap/all skills that are fire based, or does it only work for alchemist? I would assume it works for all skills that are fire based like the traps, I've been kind of eye-balling the damage and sort of see a damage increase, but i'm not so sure because the damage range is pretty big.

Also, not sure if this has been asked a lot, but does the magic stat affect the damage of my fire/lightning traps? I'm sorry if this has been answered in this thread, I'm quite new to the game.

thanks.
    This is just my understanding of traps and it might not be true.

From what I understand, your traps are essentially untargetable pets. Items you wear don`t actually boost their capabilities (unless it`s a +skill point to trap or pet damage). The trap damage is scaled to your level, meaning that a level 1 fire trap does a lot more damage on a level 25 character than on a level 5 character. How much magic stat you have has no effect on your trap damage (but don`t take my word on this one before you actually test it).
  • OrangeMintOrangeMint Posts: 203
    Mortal wrote:

From what I understand, your traps are essentially untargetable pets. Items you wear don`t actually boost their capabilities (unless it`s a +skill point to trap or pet damage). The trap damage is scaled to your level, meaning that a level 1 fire trap does a lot more damage on a level 25 character than on a level 5 character. How much magic stat you have has no effect on your trap damage (but don`t take my word on this one before you actually test it).

oh i see.....so it is pretty similar to the assassin traps in D2, interesting. Hrmm...I now wish i hadn't put those 5 points into my magic now lol >.< ah well it's only 5 points, but that is good to know though, thanks a bunch. But if magic does boost my trap damage, then yay :D

*edit* actually I just barely noticed, I looked at my flame trap skill and it says "increases all physical & elemental damage by X%" so maybe the elemental damage boosters on items work? (maybe), this is all speculation to me. actually...maybe the elemental damage enhancers will work with the skills that the vanquisher throws out, for example her lightning bombs, but won't work for traps(?)

hrmm so much mystery xD I tried searching for an answer to this, but I can't seem to find any threads literally, I probably just **** at searching lol.
    I`ve searched myself and came to the conclusion that contrary to what you`d think even the guys who made this game don`t know exactly how everything works. If you can`t find something, test it yourself. Use the console and make a level 5 test character. Try using the fire trap with no points in stats and 1000 points. It should be very apparent whether or not your 5 points in magic do anything. Now, the elemental damage %... that`s harder to test.
  • zekromzekrom Posts: 114
    Mortal wrote:

you pretty much nailed it my friend. traps are essentially "untargetable pets". this should remove 90% of the doubts regarding traps.
    OrangeMint wrote:
    .......I looked at my flame trap skill and it says "increases all physical & elemental damage by X%" so maybe the elemental damage boosters on items work? (maybe), this is all speculation to me. actually...maybe the elemental damage enhancers will work with the skills that the vanquisher throws out, for example her lightning bombs, but won't work for traps(?)

as stated above traps are essentially pets. as elemental damage % on items dosent affect pets, same goes for traps.
    Mortal wrote:
    I`ve searched myself and came to the conclusion that contrary to what you`d think even the guys who made this game don`t know exactly how everything works. If you can`t find something, test it yourself. Use the console and make a level 5 test character. Try using the fire trap with no points in stats and 1000 points. It should be very apparent whether or not your 5 points in magic do anything. Now, the elemental damage %... that`s harder to test.

this is indeed the best way to test it. open the console and type combatlog and u can see all the damage done by any "charachter"(pets,traps,you,monsters,even alchemist's ember sentry!!) but not the skills in your skill trees. i dont know how to see the calculations related to skills.
    dreamrider wrote:
    Actually, now that you mention the difficulty, my guess would be that the VH setting is halving the Skills damage.

dreamrider

holy ****!! seriously????