(UPDATED 12:08 PM 11/11/09)Runic Patch 1.12 - Vendor updates

2456739

Comments

  • Hey, Travis, is the crash looked on to?

    Or would it happen to be this?

    "H) Startup issues on some hardware/resolution combinations. We think we know what this is, and are probably going to refactor some of the startup fullscreen code in an attempt to take care of it. We may gather a few guinea pigs to help us out. ( UPDATE - In progress - going to call this 50% )"

    Hopefully the crashes are getting fixed. Been trying to play this game for 2 days now lolol!

    Thanks!
  • HyfarHyfar Posts: 29
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but when can we except the patch?
  • MaurogMaurog Posts: 215
    As a WinXP SP3 user, I can't wait to try out ISAWHIM's solution later today and see if it improves performance. But that's not what I wanted to say - I just want to tell all you Runic devs that you're doing a great job. Your policy of "acknowledge bugs and work with the users to fix them" is awesome, and a refreshing change from the "pretend nothing is wrong, don't comment on any complaints, fix the issue in a patch two months later or never, depending of how the coin flips" policy that many developers use.

    Stay cool, guys. We know you have a lot on your plate right now, and trust you to fix things as quickly and efficiently as you can. Pay no heed to the squeaky wheels who denounce your game but have nothing constructive to offer.
    Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!
  • Hopefully soon. I would assume when they release TorchED myself, but could be sooner, or later. But most likely within a week at the most.
    TL2 Dwarven Class Mod Discussion
    Current Goal: Milestone 1 - Model Insertion
    Status: Looking for Modelers and Animators.
  • OconnelOconnel Posts: 106
    You are awesome. Thanks for the investigation!

    I want to point out, that ZIP fix does absolutly nothing on my machine. Loading times are still very long (Windows 7).

    I have a better idea. Why don't you just unpack all that stuff, so there would be no compression at all. It seems reasonable?
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to point out, that ZIP fix does absolutly nothing on my machine. Loading times are still very long (Windows 7).

    I have a better idea. Why don't you just unpack all that stuff, so there would be no compression at all. It seems reasonable?

    You'll actually probably get a big win from the OTHER half of the fix that comes with the patch.
    In fact, unpacking them makes things WORSE - tons of file hits.
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully soon. I would assume when they release TorchED myself, but could be sooner, or later. But most likely within a week at the most.
    We are aiming for less than a week -
  • ISAWHIMISAWHIM Posts: 235
    C) Poor ingame performance on certain machines, when there really shouldn't be - this may be related to B) - under investigation ( UPDATE - some improvement due to B's fix as well! )

    Is this about the random hesitation, where the game slips into 1 FPS for a minute?

    I would like to add, it is exactly 160 frame-counts (Ticks), unless interrupted by a level-load or portal.

    Other attributes:
    - The mouse and sound play normally.
    - The delay is exactly 1 second between frames or more. (Mostly 1 second.)
    - The pet-timer confirms that the issue is inside the game-timer, not a graphic-card issue.
    - CPU use jumps to 99.5%, but hard-drive access is not present. This suggests a dead-loop game-timer delay.

    Debug and check to see if the game-frame-timer is somehow being lost or accidentally reset with an integer value of 1 or 0. I suspect that when this occurs, the game is checking to see if 0.01666 seconds have passed, and is holding the frame-count in a dead-loop to limit frame rates. (If the value is 0 or 1, the frame rate would be exactly one second, depending on the time comparison. The value would not be fixed until the end of the frame, but for 160 loops when the value is lost, it shows as 1 FPS. Because the comparison happens at the opposite side of the frame processing.)

    This can happen with FLOAT if the value is not large enough, or the value is an extended notation value too small but not zero. 0.1E99 might be 0 or 1 as an integer if adjusted floats are used, where floats are limited to say... four places and rounded, not clipped. Values greater than 0.1 should be forced to be 0.1, which translates into 10 FPS, values lower than 0.005 should be forced to be 0.005, which is your 200 FPS upper range.

    NOTE: I have set my max FPS to 30FPS now. No sense processing 200 FPS when most monitors only display 60 FPS. (60 Hz is 60 FPS, You get more screen tearing and drive CPU use up higher when you try to process 200 frames. At 100Hz, 200FPS translates into two half-screens being drawn. Read the HZ of the monitor and set the maximum FPS to match that. Unless you are benchmarking, which destroys hardware and consumes tons of wasted power, you don't need more frames than can possibly be seen by the human eye or displayed by the monitor.)

    Just my 2-cents, not a demand... LOL

    P.S. Good work, and I am glad that the zip thing helped both issues a little. I can now run full resolution with all effects turned on. But the random delay still exists. Now it is random, not every nine minutes, like before.
    Looking for a break from the game? Waiting for more content?
    Read my short story... [Story] Miles deep and miles away
    Story by: Jason D'Angelo
  • EversorEversor Posts: 11
    Wonderful work guys! Amazing developer-customer interaction, incredible for this days.

    What about this problem?-->> viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1627

    Is there any hope for us, the cropped torchlight 1920x1200 gamers??? Pls? any word appreciable
  • SojynSojyn Posts: 53
    As foot note for ISAWHIM's fix. Check / redrfrag your disk after doing the procedure. In my case, the original pak file was not fragmented. The new one came up as being fragmented. Might help for people who it seems the fix didn't work.

    Cheers
  • are you guys looking to the AA problem too?
    thanks and great work!
    Viva a suinocultura de porcos!
  • SuziSuzi Posts: 3
    Inverness wrote:
    I hope the bug fixing being done now hasn't pushed the release of the editor back. :cry:
    Suzi wrote:
    I want to report that the workaround did NOT work for me, my load times hardly quicker. Windows XP Pro SP3 still needs ages to open the zip if i double-click it. Same with a zip created with 7-zip.
    What level of compression and algorithm did you use to create the zip file? The fix instructions involved using the normal Windows compression which uses the Deflate algorithm with a normal level of compression. Specifying a higher level of compression or a different algorithm in 7-Zip will invalidate the performance gains.
    Since I can't change anything using the windows compression, that should work but didn't. With 7-zip i used normal compression and Deflate. WinRAR didn't work either.

    I think it's a general problem with certain PCs, nothing Runic can fix probably: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 2da62f92ea
  • EisbergEisberg Posts: 82
    Any chance the patch will be ready today or friday, perhaps saturday morning? The Brink bug is killing me, can't stand it when I am missing a part of the storyline.
  • dyzedyze Posts: 27
    for a future patch, i suggest adding a visual aid when your health is low, as opposed to the speech, which really cant be heard when there is a lot going on.
    some red faded red flashing near/above the healthbar would do nice
  • HuggsHuggs Posts: 61
    edited October 2009
    L) Console not activating on Steam builds - fixed
    How do we get this update??
  • Thanks for the updates

    And regarding AA in game setting, not working ???

    There is a work around, you select not full screen, set AA, then back to full screen and it stays.
    But if you go out of the game, and run it again the setting it's gone

    also, with multiple screens it messes all opened windows positions and size......
  • EisbergEisberg Posts: 82
    Huggs wrote:
    L) Console not activating on Steam builds - fixed
    How do we get this update??

    Bascially what you are seeing is issues they have fixed and should appear in the first update. First update should be released soon. One of the devs said they have pushed back the TorchED to early next week because they wanted to get the patch out first.
  • Good to know about this recompressing the zip file fix for load times! I'll have to try it when I get home from work. The load times on my system are somewhat ridiculous...

    Can't wait for this patch now!
  • ZaurokZaurok Posts: 42
    Suzi wrote:
    Inverness wrote:
    I hope the bug fixing being done now hasn't pushed the release of the editor back. :cry:
    Suzi wrote:
    I want to report that the workaround did NOT work for me, my load times hardly quicker. Windows XP Pro SP3 still needs ages to open the zip if i double-click it. Same with a zip created with 7-zip.
    What level of compression and algorithm did you use to create the zip file? The fix instructions involved using the normal Windows compression which uses the Deflate algorithm with a normal level of compression. Specifying a higher level of compression or a different algorithm in 7-Zip will invalidate the performance gains.
    Since I can't change anything using the windows compression, that should work but didn't. With 7-zip i used normal compression and Deflate. WinRAR didn't work either.

    I think it's a general problem with certain PCs, nothing Runic can fix probably: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 2da62f92ea

    I received a popup telling me that in order for Compressed "zipped" Folder to work, it must be set as the default ZIP program(currently have winzip set as default). Maybe you didn't do that? Might want to check it out.

    On a side note, why didn't Runic use a pak file? Just kidding. :mrgreen:
  • InvernessInverness Posts: 160
    Zaurok wrote:
    I received a popup telling me that in order for Compressed "zipped" Folder to work, it must be set as the default ZIP program(currently have winzip set as default). Maybe you didn't do that? Might want to check it out.
    That is certainly not the case. The zip file just needs to have been correctly created for the game to read and use it. The default program used to open zip files is irrelevant.
  • Sojyn wrote:
    As foot note for ISAWHIM's fix. Check / redrfrag your disk after doing the procedure. In my case, the original pak file was not fragmented. The new one came up as being fragmented. Might help for people who it seems the fix didn't work.

    Cheers

    It probably depends on how fragmented the person's hard drive was before they re-packed the ZIP file.
    2.26Ghz Core2Duo
    4GB DDR-2 667
    GeForce 9800m GT 512MB w/ 186.81
    320GB 7200RPM Seagate
    Windows Vista 64-bit SP2 (2 week old, fresh install)
  • BiffManBiffMan Posts: 43
    ISAWHIM wrote:
    NOTE: I have set my max FPS to 30FPS now. No sense processing 200 FPS when most monitors only display 60 FPS. (60 Hz is 60 FPS, You get more screen tearing and drive CPU use up higher when you try to process 200 frames. At 100Hz, 200FPS translates into two half-screens being drawn. Read the HZ of the monitor and set the maximum FPS to match that. Unless you are benchmarking, which destroys hardware and consumes tons of wasted power, you don't need more frames than can possibly be seen by the human eye or displayed by the monitor.)
    Question - Would that advice be any different for folks running X-Fire or SLI cards? I'm not as up on the current methods of workload sharing in an SLI setup as I was a few years ago, so wasn't sure if they would benefit from extra frames of data being created, otherwise I'll bump it down to 60 fps max. Awesome tips and info though!
    Ooooh! Shiiiiiiny....
  • WiggleWiggle Posts: 3
    Any status on the missing saved games? I lost my lv 25 Vanq last night and now Im afraid to play anything in fear of losing it again.
  • Wiggle wrote:
    Any status on the missing saved games? I lost my lv 25 Vanq last night and now Im afraid to play anything in fear of losing it again.


    Need to know...

    LvL 20 exitus...
  • "B) Long load times - We are actively investigating this now, and have some possible leads (UPDATE - FIXED - 2 fixes actually! ISAWHIM's fix, as well as several internal fixes to the way that resources are handled should really help this )"

    How does one go about fixing this bold part?
  • tableux3 wrote:
    "B) Long load times - We are actively investigating this now, and have some possible leads (UPDATE - FIXED - 2 fixes actually! ISAWHIM's fix, as well as several internal fixes to the way that resources are handled should really help this )"

    How does one go about fixing this bold part?

    I think that the part in bold will be fixed in the patch.
  • So, I'm one of those poor **** who can't get ISAWHIM's fix to work. I followed his instructions to the letter, but load times didn't improve. I've timed it, though, and opening both the file created with ISAWHIM's method and Runic's original file as a compressed folder in explorer takes more or less exactly 50 seconds. And yes, ISAWHIM's method produces a smaller, more compressed file. I'm crossing my fingers it's something to do with how my Windows (XP Professional, SP3, 32-bit) creates zip files, rather than with how it opens them, though. I can't find any solution or explanation on the net.

    The damnedest thing is that WinRAR will open both files instantly :x
  • Gunnilx wrote:
    Wiggle wrote:
    Any status on the missing saved games? I lost my lv 25 Vanq last night and now Im afraid to play anything in fear of losing it again.


    Need to know...

    LvL 20 exitus...

    As a temporary measure, you can copy your save files out of the folder and back them up. I know that **** to do, sorry. This bug is a top priority, and we'll get a fix to you as soon as possible.
  • Has anyone else "lost" a saved game? Unless you can only have 2 characters at a time I lost my main vanquisher and now only have my 2 random characters ; ; Anyone know if this can be fixed or am I SOL?
  • HyfarHyfar Posts: 29
    May I ask how to backup my characters? Should I just copy my save folder somewhere on my disk?
Sign In or Register to comment.