Public Service Announcement: Timezones and You

JediFreemanJediFreeman Posts: 617 admin
edited November 2011 in Announcements
Hey everyone!

Just a heads up, because the forum software allows you, the user, to set your time zone to see timestamps on posts relative to your timezone, you may be seeing incorrect timestamps on posts. Unfortunately, the forums do not automatically enable / disable DST for everyone when the "spring forward / fall back" occurs.

If you are seeing incorrect timestamps, click on the "User Control Panel" link in the upper left corner of the Forums, then go to the "Board Preferences" tab, verify your timezone is set correctly, set the "Summer Time/DST is in effect" to No and save!
Runic Games Webmaster
Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support

Comments

  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    Zones?
    13067%20-%20artist%3Aeleganceliberty%20back_to_the_future%20crossover%20ponified%20transparent.png


    Where we're going, we don't need any zones.
    ItfooQF.png
  • AcrylikAcrylik Posts: 1,848
    can i reserve this as an excuse to necro threads?
  • Huh, I didn't even think about this. Like it didn't even dawn on me. :roll:
    SUPERAWSOMEMAN-1.png

    Check out the latest update to my blog- http://www.iroarc.blogspot.com
  • Ordrak doesn't care about DST.
    WotWWitchlamp.jpg
  • Acrylik wrote:
    can i reserve this as an excuse to necro threads?
    Nope. Thread Necromancy is frowned upon in polite company. :)
    Witchlamp wrote:
    Ordrak doesn't care about DST.
    LIKE A BOSS.
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
  • PawsPaws Posts: 1,933
    I'd forgotten to change my time zone so the forum hiccup actually made things better :lol:
    PAWS.png
    Reviews and Journalism, RPGamer.com
    Zidders wrote:
    Fyi. Paws isn't a madam. She's a total PIMP.
    /swag
  • Witchlamp wrote:
    Ordrak doesn't care about DST.
    LIKE A BOSS.

    Clever pun; I hope we see Ordrak again.
    WotWWitchlamp.jpg
  • My time zone isn't listed...
    ..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
    "Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
    "There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
  • My time zone isn't listed...

    What is your timezone?
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    The internets, of course.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    All interested:

    The latest plot from Switzerland (those darn Swiss gnomes! they're always plotting something nefarious) has the world adopting "internet time" as a standard. You can read about this cheese-headed conspiracy here: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/aboututc.html

    In the meanwhile, the default time zone setting of the WWW (and the 'net) is UTC (Universal Time Coordinated) or Zulu, and if I remember correctly that's the default setting that's found on the forum's User Control Panel.

    Of course, there's the possibility RizzRustBolt lives in Newfoundland/Labrador (they've elected to live three and a half hours (or 2 1/2 hours DST) earlier than UTC... mostly just to be different, but also in an attempt to account for the mean solar time of the ****).

    - P.

    EDIT: I ought to point out Newfoundland/Labrador are not alone in trying this out: Afghanistan, Iran, Sri Lanka, Chattam Island and a whole host of others observe a similar time zone calculation. And it appears the forum's UCP allows for these settings too - P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

    Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    Hahaha, internet time? I've heard it all now!
    brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
    "If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
    WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide
  • Brixtan wrote:
    Hahaha, internet time? I've heard it all now!
    How about orbital time?
    ..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
    "Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
    "There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    NASA, the European Space Agency, Roscosmos (the Russian Federal Space Agency), and CNSA (the Chinese National Space Administration) use two methods of time keeping: Elapsed Mission Time (i.e., how much time has passed since a particular mission was launched into orbit) and the usual UTC.

    Another interesting note regarding UTC: The length of the UTC second is defined in terms of an atomic transition of cesium and is accurate to approximately 1 nanosecond (that is, a billionth of a second) per day. That said, Universal Time (the system of time that's been used to describe the passage of seconds, minutes, hours, days and so on) is intrinsically incompatible with UTC as UTC is uniform while UT is based on the Earth's rotation, which is gradually slowing. In order to keep the two times within 0.9 seconds of one another, a leap second is added to UTC about once every 12 to 18 months.

    - P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

    Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • grimoncegrimonce Posts: 115
    Perictione wrote:
    NASA, the European Space Agency, Roscosmos (the Russian Federal Space Agency), and CNSA (the Chinese National Space Administration) use two methods of time keeping: Elapsed Mission Time (i.e., how much time has passed since a particular mission was launched into orbit) and the usual UTC.

    Another interesting note regarding UTC: The length of the UTC second is defined in terms of an atomic transition of cesium and is accurate to approximately 1 nanosecond (that is, a billionth of a second) per day. That said, Universal Time (the system of time that's been used to describe the passage of seconds, minutes, hours, days and so on) is intrinsically incompatible with UTC as UTC is uniform while UT is based on the Earth's rotation, which is gradually slowing. In order to keep the two times within 0.9 seconds of one another, a leap second is added to UTC about once every 12 to 18 months.

    - P.

    Heh, the "Welcome Lecture" at my university was exactly about UTC and UT, and also about some other ways of measuring the time. I thought I'd never hear about it again, but here we go... :D
    Not like it is not imporant, I know it is, but still it is kinda funny :).
    This life is many things but one....
  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    grimonce wrote:
    I thought I'd never hear about it again, but here we go... :D

    *notices this is Grimonce's first post*

    Welcome to the forums, Grimonce!

    It's a silly place at the best of times, and you're likely to encounter all sorts of dubious information (particularly in "off-topic discussion"... <with a grin> A more wretched hive of scum and villainy you're unlikely to find here on the forums or elsewhere in a galaxy far, far away), but, for all of that, once in a while you're likely to trip over something that's actually worth reading! Especially if you really dig puns, alliteration and bad poetry.

    *thinks for a moment*

    Well... perhaps I ought to have written, 'something that's maybe worth reading.' Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth. At any rate...be brave, Grimonce, step out of the shadows, and join the threads. And above all else, have fun!


    - P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

    Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • grimoncegrimonce Posts: 115
    Indeed that was my first post *looks suprised*, I was almost sure I have posted something earlier (some time ago :D). Although it seems like I have been only stalking at those forums till... post before :) .
    I doubt that is the correct thread for a welcome, nevertheless I am grateful for it.
    I surely am going to have fun, unless my limited skills in english(not even sure I am supposed to write english or English ;D) won't step in my way ^^.
    Offtopic: for now I have to think about my Colloquium from Physics ...(that's how they call a bigger test on our university, at least in my country, not sure about the equivalent's english name ). **** that's gonna hurt... :(
    This life is many things but one....
  • grimonce wrote:
    Indeed that was my first post *looks suprised*, I was almost sure I have posted something earlier (some time ago :D). Although it seems like I have been only stalking at those forums till... post before :) .
    I doubt that is the correct thread for a welcome, nevertheless I am grateful for it.
    I surely am going to have fun, unless my limited skills in english(not even sure I am supposed to write english or English ;D) won't step in my way ^^.
    Offtopic: for now I have to think about my Colloquium from Physics ...(that's how they call a bigger test on our university, at least in my country, not sure about the equivalent's english name ). **** that's gonna hurt... :(

    Welcome aboard sir, we are a lively bunch.
    SUPERAWSOMEMAN-1.png

    Check out the latest update to my blog- http://www.iroarc.blogspot.com
  • where is that info..hmmm...
This discussion has been closed.