An Update from Travis Baldree

travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Announcements
"So... where is Torchlight 2? Didn't you guys say that you were planning to try to release this year?"

Well, yeah. We did - and we made a good run at that. We've come to the realization, however, that getting a game of this scope up to the quality and polish level we want to achieve is going to take a little longer; especially since we want to run a small beta before release to ensure that our launch is smooth.

The first Torchlight was released in record time, but it had plenty of issues that a little more development could have resolved. We didn't have the resources at the time to give Torchlight that treatment. Right at this moment though, we do have those resources for the sequel, and we feel strongly that we should apply them to make this the best game we can make and hopefully one that you'll enjoy and continue to want to play in the future. We've probably had 18 months of full development time on it so far - not excessively long yet, as far as that goes. The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small.

We feel pretty safe in saying that if you enjoyed Torchlight at all, this sequel is superior in every respect. Right now our job is to ensure that the quality level is consistent all the way to the end.

Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed Revelations?

Those are awesome games. When Torchlight 2 goes live, we want it to be awesome too - all the way through.

Comments

• AcrylikAcrylik Posts: 1,848
    how does he know we're playing skyrim or dark souls..

OHHH MY **** THEY READ OFF TOPIC!!
    DELETE THE POSTS! DELETE EM, QUICK!!
  • adoomgodadoomgod Posts: 4,270
    That's ok. Many of us felt this coming with no update on release date at the start of November. Some even earlier.
    I hope everyone here has the maturity to understand that this delay is out of love.

You guys appreciate us, the fans, so much, and I deeply appreciate that.
    It is why this is the only forum I actually go to, and i've been on it for over a year <3.
    Thank you for coming out with this and telling us, I know you must feel anxious about revealing this, but please feel zero guilt.
    Anyone with common sense will realize that this is the right thing to do, and there is nothing to apologize about.

I mean, it's not like you MEANT to deceive us or anything. ;)
    cuA6w.png
    I put the "DOOM" in "****."
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    First-Travis, thank you for the update. I imagine it can't have been easy to post that, but I'm pretty sure I speak for those of us who appreciate it when I say thank you for being honest with us, take as long as you need. As long as it is the best game you could make it when you DO release it, that's all that matters.

Second-I think I can also speak for those of us here who appreciate the hard work you folks are putting into it that you can make up for the delay by lots and lots of beta invites for the members of the forum ^_^

Third-Im NOT going to dissapear. Im going to stick around and be there for you folks.
    Runic fanroo4life
    <3
    ItfooQF.png
  • AcrylikAcrylik Posts: 1,848
    edited November 2011
    yeah don't release a fallout: new vegas please. i think i can speak for the majority here and say nobody wants that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ
  • freddyfreddy Posts: 326
    edited November 2011
    Well, yeah. We did - and we made a good run at that. We've come to the realization, however, that getting a game of this scope up to the quality and polish level we want to achieve is going to take a little longer; especially since we want to run a small beta before release to ensure that our launch is smooth.

Does that imply that TL2 will not be out this year? Just to make that clear :)
    Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed Revelations?

I don't and I won't play one of these games, but that's no problem though. Take the time you need to finish the game. There are enough things in life to spend time with :)

edit:
    Zidders wrote:
    I imagine it can't have been easy to post that, but I'm pretty sure I speak for those of us who appreciate it when I say thank you for being honest with us

/sign
  • Oh well...
    I'm slightly disappointed, even though I saw it coming.
    Nonetheless, I believe that Torchlight II will be a much better game because of this, so I'm really fine with it. We've waited for over a year now, we can wait another few months.

Anyway, is there any expected timeframe either for the game release or the beta start?
    76561197996178860.png
    freddy wrote:

Yes.
    cuA6w.png
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    freddy wrote:
    Pretty much
    ItfooQF.png
    Hey Travis. And Wonder, since i know you are surfing the forum right now Wonder... and Marsh.
    Can i be in the small beta? Please? I have trillions of years of trans-dimensional multi-planar experience. I'm sure I could be of use.
    I'll provide sooo much feedback and play the beta SOOOO much more then is healthy.
    I'm the perfect test-subject. I'm even a robot, so you know I'm not biased.

I'll.... buy the Dev's a round of beer? I heard you guys like that!
    cuA6w.png
  • So who died? (Just kidding of course) (This was in reference to the before the end of the year "unless someone dies" quote that has been floating around the internet).

There is no rush, take your time to make it awesome.
  • TezTez Posts: 183
    ****. WTB Beta, pst :mrgreen:

Well, I guess it is a bit disappointing, but it is understandable. Perhaps it may be best for me to use this time to plan some ideas for modding/areas/mobs etc instead of dwelling on there not being any TL2 this year, haha.
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    It happens. Good to see you posted it on the main site; that way people can stop complaining that "we haven't had an official news update in MONTHS!"

Take your time guys (but not TOO long ;) )
    cxNEL.png
  • You forgot to add Terraria to that game list. This just means when Terraria 1.1 comes out Dec. 1st i'll have enough time to beat it.
  • is Skyrim an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Battlefield 3 an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Uncharted 3 an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Saints Row an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Arkham City an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Skyward Sword an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Minecraft an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Modern Warfare 3 an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Dark Souls an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO
    is Assassin's Creed Revelations an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO

So guess what ... im still waiting for TL2 and Diablo3 :P
  • Yep, a bit disappointed, but this is the best thing runic could have done, by telling us the truth.

I work at an indie dev, down the street from runic actually, and I know how hard it is to not be able to follow through on an estimated release date or even frame. That said, this will make the game better!

I would love to beta test just like everyone else here.
  • Work, and the recent loss of something important has been keeping me super busy anyway lol. Thanks for the update, and know that anytime you're ready, my 20/40/60/80/etc bucks (depending on how many copies I'm getting) will be ready as well.
  • A well-tested, polished late-game is >>>>>> buggy, unfinished early-release. Good for the reputation of the next game from the studio/franchise.

Take your time.

Like you said its not like people are short of good games as of now.
  • Oh man, an even longer wait for a Mac version too. Looks like I'll be lucky to play Torchlight II before E3.
  • fklfkl Posts: 193
    posting this announcement today and not tomorrow is graceful thinking. tnx guys.
  • Hey guys,
    This wait will be worth it, believe me. The change the game has experienced even over the last couple weeks is incredible - and this slight delay is more the result of aiming higher than it is just trying to get done what we originally planned. Anyway, thanks for understanding and being patient with us. We know how hard it is to wait for new releases, and how frustrating it is to hear of a delay, and we appreciate your kind and gracious response! We are more motivated than ever to make TL2 as great as possible!

Max Schaefer
    CEO, Runic Games
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    is Dark Souls an action RPG Hack&Slash ? NO

Oh, but it IS! It's ridiculously great, too.
  • Of course i want a finished product.
    But i also want the company to do great ! And with the coming of Diablo3 im just affraid a bit with the timing of things !
    Im sure gamers like me will buy both but if you ask people i guess the majority will go to Diablo 3 only !
  • Thanks for update, keep the good work to give us better and polish product.

One question, now can we expect to see the private servers feature at launch instead in a later patch?
  • I know that *Torchlight II* will be a good game and i put my expectations in Runic Team
  • TezTez Posts: 183
    Hey guys,
    This wait will be worth it, believe me. The change the game has experienced even over the last couple weeks is incredible - and this slight delay is more the result of aiming higher than it is just trying to get done what we originally planned. Anyway, thanks for understanding and being patient with us. We know how hard it is to wait for new releases, and how frustrating it is to hear of a delay, and we appreciate your kind and gracious response! We are more motivated than ever to make TL2 as great as possible!

Max Schaefer
    CEO, Runic Games

That sounds quite exciting, I hope more info will trickle out about the change(s) shortly! :mrgreen:
  • RobbyDRobbyD Posts: 53
    This news is disappointing, yes, but not totally unexpected. I for one am all for you getting this game as polished and awesome as possible, even if it means delay for feature creep. Don't worry about me - I'm still playing D2 and still have some projects I'm working on to bide the time.

What I DO hope is that waiting a bit means truly awesome oranges and sets - items that are so awesome and useful that it will motivate players to keep playing until the elusive ultimate item drops, then play some more to experience the awesomeness, and sets that, once completed, are so awesome as to motivate players to keep playing until all pieces of the set are found, then play some more to experience the full set.
    uTCXc.png
  • Oh, come on!
    You're just lazy arses and that's all. No, really, "didn't you guys say that you were planning to try to release this year?" That's all because of that Xbox **** which "pushed the release of the game". You want to keep the fans? Don't let any **** get in your way. It's been 2 months without any update and now you say that the release is pushed back for some time. You must be joking, really. And yes, I'd better buy and play Skyrim or Diablo 3 or any other game but not yours.
  • freddyfreddy Posts: 326
    Keep on track to make Torchlight 2 the most impressive game in 2012, and beyond of course :D
  • KogaKoga Posts: 9
    ****... Didn't think Runic would of pulled a Blizzard on us... /disappointed
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    It is nice to be able to breath a sigh of relief. At least I know I can relax and keep making new mods for TL1.
This discussion has been closed.