Respec Mod

TiamatTiamat Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Mod Showcase
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/32
or
http://www.torchlightinsider.com/forums ... 10#post710

Respec potion mod, allows you to buy respec potions from the general inventory vendor (the one with identify scrolls)

README:
The respec mod causes the general inventory vendor (hp/mp potions, identify/town portal scrolls) to offer the respec potion.

To install:
Unzip the structure into your %appdata%\Runic Games\Torchlight\mods\ folder.

You can find this by following the C:\Program Files\Runic Games\Torchlight\Application Data link.

It should look like C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods\RespecMod if you are running Vista.

NOTE: If your vendor isn't selling the potion for an old character, you may have to get his current store to restock his wares. Vendors will restock if you spend about a half minute in town, leave, and return.

Enjoy!
-Tiamat

Comments

• AnniAnni Posts: 6
    this is awesome and you should feel awesome
  • TiamatTiamat Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    If this doesn't work, please post with your installation type (which vendor you got Torchlight from) and what went wrong. It works great on mine ;) Thanks!
  • SnowPinSnowPin Posts: 22
    Tiamat wrote:
    If this doesn't work, please post with your installation type (which vendor you got Torchlight from) and what went wrong. It works great on mine ;) Thanks!

Mines not working. I put the "Media" folder in the directory:

"C:\Users\Administrator\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\mods"

And I load up the game log in and the "General" vendor doesn't sell them. I waited a few minutes, Left into the mines and came back and still no respec potion.
    Xfire: streamlinevision
    SnowPinSig.png
  • LuitjensLuitjens Posts: 109
    SnowPin wrote:
    Tiamat wrote:

And I load up the game log in and the "General" vendor doesn't sell them. I waited a few minutes, Left into the mines and came back and still no respec potion.

Make sure its

"C:\Users\Administrator\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\mods\RespecMod\media
    Luitjens wrote:
    SnowPin wrote:
    Tiamat wrote:

Make sure its

"C:\Users\Administrator\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\mods\RespecMod\media

Thanks Luitjens for helping me fix it.

Thank you Tiamat for this mod.
    SnowPinSig.png
  • wouterwouter Posts: 2
    Great, been waiting for this :). I'm using steam and it works fine. Thanks!
  • "Originally exceptionally rare, the secret ingrediants were eventually leaked and copied."

hahahaha awsome!
  • IndigoAKIndigoAK Posts: 6
    edited October 2009
    It's not working for me.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and using the Steam version of the game.

Installed the mod to:

C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods\RespecMod

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working. I had to use a waygate before it would appear though - the OP's suggestion to get the shop to restock didn't work for me.
  • BissrokBissrok Posts: 654
    Very, very cool. I just might see level 100 now...
  • Just did this to make sure that everything was working and it worked fine! I have just one question. :) This is a skill respec and what I might be interested in eventually is stat respec'ing. Will this be possible to do as a mod when we get TorchED?
  • MkauzMkauz Posts: 1
    FYI, I downloaded my game from Steam and play on Windows Vista. My game did not work after installing this mod. I deleted the mod and everything worked as normal. Just putting this in writing in case anyone else is having issues.
    Needlehawk wrote:
    Just did this to make sure that everything was working and it worked fine! I have just one question. :) This is a skill respec and what I might be interested in eventually is stat respec'ing. Will this be possible to do as a mod when we get TorchED?

What's TorchED?

Also, Is it normal for it to take a little while to load up the game now? Everytime I load it from desktop with the mod it goes slow and when I use it without the mod it goes fast.
    SnowPinSig.png
  • TeganTegan Posts: 14
    First off, awesome mod, thanks Tiamat.

I am also hoping to see a stat respec potion or mod be possible in with TorchEd. Being the tinkerer that I am, I tried to edit some values in the respecpotion.dat, to see if Torchlight automatically detected that the .dat had changed and compiled it in to the pre-compiled .adm format...alas, no. It seems TorchEd is required to generate the pre-compiled binary files the engine uses.
  • LinkDLinkD Posts: 22
    um, im looking in my torchlight folder but im not seeing any mods folder, i bought it through steam, and what do i do with the app data icon? i double click but nothing happens
  • TorchED is the editor that we will be getting for mods soon. They had hoped to release it on Day 1, but found out their previous name, PrEditor, was taken. So they are currently working through the logistics of naming it "TorchED".

For anyone that bought with Steam and is running XP, to find your mod file -
    • Start/Run/%appdata%
    • Look for Runic Games/Torchlight/Mods

That is where you should put the mods. Sorry, I don't know Vista, but maybe it is similar. Steam made it harder than the devs intended to find the mod file, unfortunately. After I found it, I just put a shortcut on my Desktop for it.
  • In Vista and Windows 7, the mods folder should be located in Drive:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods

Application Data and AppData are the same folder in both Vista and Windows 7, it simply has two different names, but they both exist at the same location in the file system.
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    vista;

C:\Users\Your_Name\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods
  • LinkDLinkD Posts: 22
    For anyone that bought with Steam and is running XP, to find your mod file -

* Start/Run/%appdata%
    * Look for Runic Games/Torchlight/Mods

That is where you should put the mods. Sorry, I don't know Vista, but maybe it is similar. Steam made it harder than the devs intended to find the mod file, unfortunately. After I found it, I just put a shortcut on my Desktop for it.

thanks for the quick answer
  • No problem. Glad to help.
  • bearcowbearcow Posts: 59
    This might seem like a dumb question, but i just want to double check before installing. Using this mod won't cause the game to register the player as a cheater?
  • LuitjensLuitjens Posts: 109
    Correct there is no cheater-implementation system in this game to ban you from ever playing again
  • GartGart Posts: 12
    So is it possible to get this to work with the steam version of the game? I can't find the appropriate location in my torchlight folder in steam.
  • MivoMivo Posts: 460
    Luitjens wrote:
    Correct there is no cheater-implementation system in this game to ban you from ever playing again

If you use the console to summon the respec potion, you get flagged as cheater by the game and the character cannot use the shared stash anymore. This is what led to this mod, which does not flag you as a cheater (so it has no side-effects, unlike the console equivalent of getting the potion). Thanks, Tiamat, for releasing this mod. Greatly appreciated. :)
  • FenkFenk Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have a question after a small test ;)

I tried to edit the file : respecpotion.dat in the aim at change this "<INTEGER>VALUE:7500" in "<INTEGER>VALUE:30".

I got the surprise in game that the respe potion has 3000 for price.
    Is there something wrong in my change ? Or is it normal because without the Torchlight Editor I can't change this ?
    But much more stranger, after delete the mod, this potion was still there (in the vendor bag) and sold 1200 oO.

I don't understand anything !

Thanks you for a small answer :)

P.S. : I'm French so sorry for my english !
  • wouterwouter Posts: 2
    For the people that think the game doesnt work after you install the mod. When I installed it myself I had to wait pretty long before the game finally started up, so just wait :P. (max 5min I would say)

This has also been posted a couple of time but I'll do it again. This is where you have to place the mod: C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods Just copy it in windows explorer with your own name ofc. (and the right disk :roll: )
  • i have tried everything, it still isnt working..how do i get it to work?

its C:\ProgramFiles\Runic Games\Torchlight\mods\RespecMod

but i have waited over 10 mins in town, gone and done 2 dungeons and such but still no potion

and im level 23..any ideas anyone?
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    I got this working on the steam install no problem
    just make sure you unzip it, put it in the right place and don't edit any of the files
    I don't have a sig
  • bearcowbearcow Posts: 59
    afrokid wrote:
    i have tried everything, it still isnt working..how do i get it to work?

its C:\ProgramFiles\Runic Games\Torchlight\mods\RespecMod

but i have waited over 10 mins in town, gone and done 2 dungeons and such but still no potion

and im level 23..any ideas anyone?

You have to place it inside the torchlight folder in your application data folder. The breadcrumb from the begining is c:\programfiles\runic games\torchlight\application data\runic games\torchlight\mods\respecmod.
  • Okay, so, my game won't start after installing this mod into it's proper place.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and bought the game on Steam. It's in: C:\Users\András\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods, directory name is RespecMod.

The game won't start with a Visual C++ Runtime Error, deleting the mod makes the game work again properly.

Any clues?
  • xteeterxteeter Posts: 46
    Can't wait to get home to give it a try, hopefully being on Windows 7 won't cause a problem... :|
    "Don't worry about life. You're not going to survive it."