Webbstre's Modding Challenges

WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Modding
Ok y'all, since Phanjam is bored and I have lots of ideas, I'm gonna throw one challenge at a time out here and see how it goes. Anyone is free to attempt to mod these monster ideas, just be sure to post results here (and on RGF if they are finished! ;))

Challenge One: Be Wary Where You Walk - COMPLETED
I want to see a monster that does two things:
1-When you hit it, it sprays acid or lava or poison pools on the ground
2-When it dies, it sprays a lot of the substance all over the ground

The substance, whatever you make it, should spray with an effect like blood but be a different color (maybe texture?). It should last a while on the ground, and whenever you are too close you take Damage Over Time, with a lingering effect for a few seconds after you walk away (smaller than being in the pool)

The monster itself can be any kind of monster you like, and have any kind of attacks you like. I just want to see if it was possible to mod in the pools of death. Inspiration for the monster comes from the Diablo 1 Acid Beasts.

Challenge Two: Pick Your Targets Carefully - COMPLETED
This mod will require the creation of several monsters in a family of sorts.

Base Monsters: This is a regular monster, average number of health points, relatively weak physical attack, and a few spells. One support spell, one attack spell, and one transformation spell (detailed below). These only ever spawn alone, never in groups. When this monster dies, 3-4 Tier 2 Monsters spawn. *NOTE* To prevent this from creating an infinite spawn loop, you need two versions of this monster - One regular and one that is an upgraded Tier 2 monster that can no longer spawn minions on death.

Tier 2 Monsters: These monsters, different in appearance to the Base Monster (different model or skin, and smaller), have no attack or buff spells, but have the ability to transform other Tier 2 Monsters into a Base Monster. They have a less health, defense, or attack power than the Base Monsters, and their attacks are slow and ranged. When killed they spawn a small group of Tier 3 monsters.

Tier 3 monsters: Mini, weak, melee only monsters with no other abilities. Easy to crush in 1 hit, but if buffed by a Base Monster or Boss Monster could become a problem if there are too many of them. AoE attacks are recommended against these.

Boss Monster: If a Tier 2 monster transforms 2 or more of its friends into Base Monsters, the Base Monsters have a chance to transform each other into a Boss Monster. A Boss Monster have 2-3 times the health of a Base Monsters, multiple Buff and Attack spells, not to mention debuff spells against you. Killing one unleashes an explosion that damages monsters and the player alike.

Challenge Three: It hurts! It hurts so much! - COMPLETED
Make a town healer. That is all.

Challenge Four: I always thought that guy looked strong.
Take one of the miners' resources and make a class using him. One skill tree should focus around explosives, another around smashing things (possibly with giant hammers), and the third tree on enemy debuffs (DoT skills, slow, stun, blindness, knockback, all the little things you'd expect someone to use to ward off pests). As a bonus, one of those burrowers should be used as his preferred pet, as an alternative to the cat/dog/ferret. Preferably he should visibly be able to wear armor by the final version.

Challenge Five: New Horizons... OR Deja vu!
(Coming "soon")
Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!

Comments

• OmnicideOmnicide Posts: 263
    Webbstre wrote:
    Inspiration for the monster comes from the Diablo 1 Acid Beasts.

It also reminds me of Coldworm the Burrower, the huge super-unique maggot queen boss that shoots out geysers of corrosive acid while in the throes of death.
    zml5zp.jpghead%2520splitting.gif
    Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil because I am the baddest mother****er in the valley.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Webbstre wrote:
    Challenge One: Be Wary Where You Walk
    I want to see a monster that does two things:
    1-When you hit it, it sprays acid or lava or poison pools on the ground
    2-When it dies, it sprays a lot of the substance all over the ground

The substance, whatever you make it, should spray with an effect like blood but be a different color (maybe texture?). It should last a while on the ground, and whenever you are too close you take Damage Over Time, with a lingering effect for a few seconds after you walk away (smaller than being in the pool)

The monster itself can be any kind of monster you like, and have any kind of attacks you like. I just want to see if it was possible to mod in the pools of death. Inspiration for the monster comes from the Diablo 1 Acid Beasts.
    Okay I have a good idea how you want this to work. Here are some musings to get my bearings (They're also a disguised crazed plea for help to other more competent modders :lol: )

MONSTER CHOICE
    I'm thinking either a gel or a zombie model, because I think this type of monster should move in a shambling manner. Then add a little re-texturing and some particle effect to let you know what you're up against.

GENERAL
    For the acid-spray I think that could be made as 2 skills specific to this monster: one that's triggered each time it'**** and another for when it dies.

SENSORY CUES
    For the former, you'd need nice splatter particles for the hits and nice sizzling sounds to simulate getting acid burns as you whack it. For when it dies you need a big-**** acid spewing particle and a longer sizzling-hissing-bubbling sound. Would be nice to also have an acid-burn particle that attaches to the player.

For the death skill maybe the layout should kinda build-up to the acid explosion, say about 2 seconds - to give you time to run away?

DAMAGE EFFECTS
    Since it's acid I'd use a combo of FIRE, POISON and ARMOR DEGRADE damage. As described, they would linger on you. Since there'd be 2 separate skills, I guess you could just make the acid explosion skill more damaging then the acid-splatters skill, to simulate getting drenched as more damaging (yuck).

Okay I will DEFINITELY need help on particles/layouts and the skill-tuning in general, as I am virtually zero in those departments :( I can do the sounds and the re-texturing that'll be needed. I know that's kinda lopsided - sorry about that!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure people here can help you :P I have almost zero modding skills, but a bunch of things I've wanted to do for torchlight monsters since day 1.

... I should make contests like this.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    Webbstre wrote:
    ... I should make contests like this.
    Now THAT is a good idea :D !
    Torchmodders
  • AcrylikAcrylik Posts: 1,848
    sounds like those dogs from diablo 1
  • Phanjam wrote:
    Okay I will DEFINITELY need help on particles/layouts and the skill-tuning in general
    The skills should be easy enough, but how do you want the particles, just some toxic green blood that splatters and pools beneath them, or something a little more fancy?
    And what about the one that attaches to the player?
    signature-small.png
    ...but how do you want the particles, just some toxic green blood that splatters and pools beneath them, or something a little more fancy? And what about the one that attaches to the player?
    Hiya SixShot! (i am sooo glad you showed up!) Maybe a nice corrosive looking yellow or yellow-green?

For the death acid pool, would a slight yellowish haze rising from the pool be possible?

For the player-attach, maybe a similar yellowish haze or smoke coming off the player for a while :D
    Torchmodders
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    Webbstre wrote:
    it sprays a lot of the substance all over the ground

The substance, whatever you make it, should spray with an effect like blood but be a different color (maybe texture?). It should last a while on the ground
    >.>

You've been living in Japan too long
    ItfooQF.png
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    I really would like to help, but I really don't have any skills in this area. I haven't worked in this area at all. I am in awe of Sixshot, Phanjam, Omnicide and Spacepirate's skills. I mostly just manipulate TorchED, I don't really create. I will help if I can though.
  • OmnicideOmnicide Posts: 263
    Rusty wrote:
    I really would like to help, but I really don't have any skills in this area. I haven't worked in this area at all. I am in awe of Sixshot, Phanjam, Omnicide and Spacepirate's skills. I mostly just manipulate TorchED, I don't really create. I will help if I can though.

I really wish I could be in awe of my own modding skills also, but alas, I have none. :cry: I've only done some minor testing and offered visual critiques from time to time.
    zml5zp.jpghead%2520splitting.gif
    Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil because I am the baddest mother****er in the valley.
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Textures/some static image that sits on the ground, then fades away seems like it would be easier to add than particle effects (Like the blood from killing an enemy). Or is it the same thing? I didn't mess with particle effects much in TorchEd.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • Phanjam wrote:
    For the death acid pool, would a slight yellowish haze rising from the pool be possible?

For the player-attach, maybe a similar yellowish haze or smoke coming off the player for a while :D
    So kinda like the poison clouds, but more yellow?
    hawkn wrote:
    Textures/some static image that sits on the ground, then fades away seems like it would be easier to add than particle effects (Like the blood from killing an enemy). Or is it the same thing? I didn't mess with particle effects much in TorchEd.
    Yeah, it's the same thing. But what's an arpg without splatter effects :P
    acidbloodspray.png
    signature-small.png
    acidbloodspray.png

Dang that was fast. I was just starting to edit that file!
    :shock: :( ****, i better get crackin' on some monster re-textures then :?
    Torchmodders
  • Rusty wrote:
    Dang that was fast. I was just starting to edit that file!
    Haha thanks, I always feel like I'm a bit slow.

The skill/particle framework is done, now it's just the endless tweaking :|
    poolofdeath.jpg

That pool is probably a bit too deathy
    signature-small.png
    The skill/particle framework is done, now it's just the endless tweaking :|
    poolofdeath.jpg
    That pool is probably a bit too deathy
    I think it's beautiful! But it is a bit BIG :lol: ! Looks to be (in game-scale) about 20 feet across? Maybe a smaller pool will also tone-down the "deathy"-ness :P
    Torchmodders
  • Phanjam wrote:
    I think it's beautiful! But it is a bit BIG :lol: ! Looks to be (in game-scale) about 20 feet across? Maybe a smaller pool will also tone-down the "deathy"-ness :P
    Yeah my sense of scale was a little off, so I cut them in half after posting that.

Also, does anybody know what options I'm meant to choose while saving a dds file (in photoshop)?
    I used all the presets with an alpha channel, they ranged from small to ridiculously large in size, but nothing remotely close to the original files :|

EDIT: SPLAT!
    splat.jpg
    signature-small.png
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭
    You guys are awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product... and give you the next challenge :)
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what Torchlight wants from its DDS files, but when I used them for UT2004, I almost exclusively used DXT1 RGB (if I didn't need an alpha channel) and DXT5 ARGB (if I did).
    There may be other options if you are okay with an "on/off only" alpha channel (i.e. black or white, each pixel completely transparent or completely opaque, but I never used those).

Anyway, I'm fairly certain I remember doing the same with the elf mesh's textures -- DXT1 for the skin and armor, DXT5 for the hair. There was some weird compression that altered the colors on the skin texture a bit, but it wasn't too bad.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
    I spent a good part of this afternoon going through the different options for dds files and could come up with nothing. I tried DXT1, DXT5 and still they were not like the original. Perhaps one of the devs could lend us a hand on this one?
  • I had a dig around the forums and found this thread: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9581

The relevant part:
    ...We can support full alpha (DXT5) and 1 bit alpha (DXT1). In many cases 1 bit is a better option as full alpha can have sorting problems depending on if a model with alpha has to render under them or over them. The best way if to just try it out in the editor when it gets released. You can always change it to 1 bit if full alpha doesn't work out...

Though no mention of where that quote actually came from. Just that it was another site.
    signature-small.png
    Hi All! Sixshot was orchestrating a little PM-tag between him, Rusty and myself. But we finally decided to just put it all up on this thread (like how we were doing on the zealot and vanquisher meshes threads). It should be easier to coordinate efforts this way :) (winks at Rusty)

So here are the ideas that were being kicked around...

ACID SPLATTERS
    Sixshot: I'm having issues with the splatter, sometimes it looks fine, other times it's more like a hyper-yellow block. I'm not entirely sure why, but it looks like the textures wrapping around it wierdly.
    Phanjam: My impression of the blood splatters in TL1 is that they seem like a 2D sprite to me; am I wrong? would it simplify things if the acid splatter was a 2D sprite?
    Sixshot: You're not wrong, and that's what I was going for... it just didn't work as I'd hoped. It turns out, Rusty was having the same issue, so I think it's tied to how you save the alpha channel/dds file.

ACID POOL
    SixShot: The pool could be more convincingly acidic, and the death skill might also benefit from having some sort of blast effect. So if you want to retexture/remake any of it, feel free.
    Phanjam: I can't even imagine how to improve a texture for a particle
    Sixshot: The same way you'd make a texture for anything else It needs to be a bit more corrosive looking rather than slimy. It does work as it is because of the fumes, but it could definitely be improved upon.
    Phanjam: how about that "animated textures" technique you talked about in your materials tut?
    SixShot: ah, good idea. I'll see if I can apply that to a particle.

MONSTER UNITTHEME
    SixShot: The unit theme is just a placeholder right now, and doesn't have anything special about it. (It's currently using the 'on fire' layout.)
    Phanjam: if i wanted the yellowish haze on the monster, could I use the "Poisoned" theme and just change some texture to make it yellow?
    Sixshot: Yes/maybe. A lot of the particles also have their colour set in the .layout file, though they don't have a lot in them so it shouldn't be too hard to change in a text editor.
    Phanjam: if i also wanted him "on fire" at the same time, can I just stack that theme on top of the haze?
    Sixshot: Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can link multiple particles from a unit theme. You could then apply them to different bones, so his body could be covered in gas while his heads on fire, haha.

Me, I'm still working on textures for the 2 candidate models: gel and zombie. I'm going to try some of the glowmap tricks from SixShot's excellent materials tutorial :D
    But if anyone thinks we should use a different model, just let me know and I'll work on that too :D
    Torchmodders
    Phanjam,
    Hopefully this allows others to see where we are at and send ideas/support.

I am willing to work on the unittheme a bit as well as continuing work on the splatter sprites/alpha channel. I only have the evenings, so I will get as much done as possible and report back.
  • To follow up on Phanjam's post:

The splatter issue was resolved. I took the easy way out and changed how the particle worked so it didn't need an alpha channel :lol: on the plus side, it means I can use the (far smaller in size) png texture.

If we wanted to go the animation route with the pool, the best way would be with a sequence. For particles these are a single texture which gets cut into equally sized frames. I haven't started (or even really thought about) this so if anybody else wants to make one feel free :)

There's currently 2 skills, one for when the monster gets hit, and another for when it dies. Both have been set up to trigger the correct damage types, particles and unit theme, but the numbers are mostly placeholders right now, and haven't really been balanced.

The hit skill creates a small pool and lasts for about 8 seconds
    Hit-Pool.jpg

The death skill creates a larger pool and lasts for about 15 seconds
    Die-Pool.jpg

They could both probably last a bit longer, but if the monster takes a few hits to bring down or spawns in a large group the passageways can get blocked pretty quickly.

Here's the current state for anybody that's interested: Link
    signature-small.png
    Oh yeah I completely forgot to include that you had made all the layouts already for those particles! Sorry about that :oops:

Hi Rusty! So you're on the particles? Great! - also have limited time in which to work on the monster restextures, but I'll post as soon as I can.
    Torchmodders
    The UNITTHEME: So I just threw together the burning theme and the poison theme in slapdash style, the burning on the head, and the poison everywhere else. To be honest I don't know if I did this totally correct. I just based it off of other files for reference.
    [THEME]
    <STRING>NAME:acidburn
    <BOOL>NEEDSTOSAVE:1
    <INTEGER64>GUID:3805417432795189729
    [PARTICLE]
    <STRING>UNITTYPE:character
    <INTEGER>COUNT:0
    <BOOL>ATTACHES:True
    <BOOL>FOLLOWS:False
    <STRING>FILE:media/particles/monsters/onfiresmall.layout
    <STRING>BONE:head
    [/PARTICLE]
    [THEME]
    <STRING>NAME:acidburn
    <BOOL>NEEDSTOSAVE:1
    <INTEGER64>GUID:3805417432795189729
    [PARTICLE]
    <BOOL>ATTACHES:True
    <BOOL>FOLLOWS:False
    <STRING>FILE:media/particles/monsters/onfiresmall.layout
    <STRING>BONE:head
    [/PARTICLE]
    <STRING>NAME:acidpoison
    <INTEGER64>GUID:6869077203412980190
    [PARTICLE]
    <STRING>FILE:media/particles/monsters/poisonsmall.layout
    <STRING>BONE:random
    [/PARTICLE]
    [/THEME]<INTEGER64>GUID:6869077203412980190
    [PARTICLE]
    <STRING>FILE:media/particles/monsters/poisonsmall.layout
    <STRING>BONE:random
    [/PARTICLE]
    [/THEME]

For the sequence animation, what if we used something similar to WaterSplash3x3.dds? I think this is what you were talking about in sequence animations for the pool correct?
    watersplash3x3.jpg
    Rusty wrote:
    For the sequence animation, what if we used something similar to WaterSplash3x3.dds? I think this is what you were talking about in sequence animations for the pool correct?
    watersplash3x3.jpg
    Now THIS sounds promising :D !
    Torchmodders
    Redid the texture with acidy yellow-green.
    acidpool3x3.png