Confused With this Images on the Skill description

copyninjacopyninja Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Vanquisher Discussions
Hi I'm new to the game. im confused with this images. I haven't put a single stat because of this :( so please help me . Please no foul reply I'm just a newbie :(

2.jpg

1.jpg

Comments

• PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    Howdy, Copyninja.

You'll notice on your character screen how much ranged (arrow head) , physical (sword hilt) and magic damage (wand head) your character is performing. This damage is basically summed together and multiplied by a percentage to yield the average damage per second your character is performing.

For example, let's pretend you're using the skill 'Venomous Dirks' and your character is capable of dealing out 10 points physical damage and 200 points of ranged damage. The calculation of actual damage done would, therefore, be: ((10*1)+(200*1))*.2 + 92 to 125 poison damage = 134 to 167 points of damage per second.

As for the 'Hamstring' skill, this calculation involves magic damage and ranged damage (and no physical damage), so let's pretend your character is dealing out 200 points of ranged damage and 200 points of magic damage. The calculation is now: ((200*.5)+(200*.5))*.05 + 83 = 84 points of damage per second.

I hope this answers your question!

- P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Sorry, P.

I'm pretty darned sure that it is the Attribute value for the pictured attribute that contributes to Skills with % icons, rather than the much larger melee, ranged, or magic damage range numbers.

First of all, I read it that way in a post from Travis way back - which I cannot currently find.

But, secondly, note that the damage number is not a fixed value from which to derive a stable 50% or 100% value consistently. Not insurmontable, but 'feels' wrong.

Then finally, for empirical evidence, if my level 1 venomous dirks on my current level 100 lead character was based off 20% of my weapon DPS + ~300 pts Poi damage + 100% of my ranged damage (even if just based on the mean damage), each dirk would consistently be doing something north of 6000 HP, rangin up to 8500 HP. I can assure you that, while quite nasty, my dirks don't strike individually for anything near that. (more like about 1500.)

dreamrider
    edited February 2012
    dreamrider wrote:
    I'm pretty darned sure that it is the Attribute value for the pictured attribute that contributes to Skills with % icons, rather than the much larger melee, ranged, or magic damage range numbers. First of all, I read it that way in a post from Travis way back - which I cannot currently find.

Dreamrider:

I've done a quick search, and I think we're both a bit off (me more than you though). First, I suspect these are the quotes you're referring to:

Re: Skill Trees with Pics (Inside Spoiler Tags)
    by travisbaldree » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:00 am

What do those infos mean on the skill description?
    Basically, that means that the corresponding stats provide a % boost to various properties of the skill. Basically, with 100% strength and dex bonuses, you get 1% bonus to damage per point in either. If you had 10 strength and 12 dex, you'd get a 22% bonus to damage on needle arc. Needle arc does no weapon damage at all, so all of its improvements come from skill investment and stat investment (or magical effects on gear )

And then a bit later he wrote:

Re: How about some freaking answers?!?!?!?!
    by travisbaldree » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 pm

The little icons with the numbers next to them in skills basically tell you what % investment in that statistic ( sword for str, arrow for dex, and so on - the icons match the ones in the character sheet ) will modify the skill. The modification can be spread across multiple effects on the skill, or one - depending on the skill and the effect. We toyed with ways to show that per value on each individual effect in a skill, but it was such an absolutely unreadable mess - such a DENSE block of information, that it was really pretty unworkable.

A bit later on in the same thread, a poster by the name of Zeidrich offered this interpretation:

Sword / Wand / Arrow with a percentage next to it indicates that that percentage of the stat will be used to modify the ability's damage. So if you have 150 Strength, and you have an ability that has [Sword:50%], that means you will increase the damage of that ability by 75%. (150*50% = 75%)

In context of the conversations, it appears the actual damage done by any skill is a bit of of an arcane calculation. Now I'm guessing a skill's "base damage" isn't necessarily based on a weapons DPS (as it would say so in the skill description), and I'm further guessing it's occasionally based on a weapon's unadjusted physical, ranged or magic damage (otherwise being based on some set amount determined by the skill) ... further by character stats... further modifed by degree of skill... further modified by whatever enhancements are attached to the weapon (Frankly, I don't know about this... it all seems awfully complicated, but I'm sure it made some sort of sense to the developers when they created their formulas)

But to correct what I wrote before - what the calculations should be now appear to be something like:

For example, let's pretend you're using the skill 'Venomous Dirks' and your character is capable of dealing out 10 points physical damage, 200 points of ranged damage as per the base weapon damage and your weapons DPS is 300 points. You've invested 5 points in STR and 25 points in DEX. The calculation of actual damage done would, therefore, be: (300)*.2)*1+(.05+.25) + 92 to 125 poison damage = 168 to 197 points of damage per second (the percentage modifiers are causing a bit more damage than my initial calculation - every characteristic point increases the damage by 1% ).

As for the 'Hamstring' skill, this calculation involves magic damage and ranged damage (and no physical damage), so (as per above) let's pretend your character is dealing out 200 points of ranged damage and 200 points of magic damage as per base weapon damage and your weapon DPS is 300 points. You've invested 10 points in MAG and 25 points in DEX. The calculation is now: ((200+200)*.05)*1+((10+25)*.5 + 83 = 121 points of damage per second (the percentage modifiers are causing a bit more damage than my initial calculation - this time every characteristic point increases the damage by .5% ).

In each case, it appears the base weapon damage plays the greatest role in determing the total damage done, though the percentage modifier gained by characteristics helps nicely.

Back to you Dreamrider! :) (thanks for catching my error and directing my attention to the conversations that initially discussed this topic... though I still like my way of figuring things out better! This other way seems weird... too involved, you know?)

- P.

Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • Yow Perictione, Dreamrider . thx for info dawg ill just do a experiment my self i guess ,on both. :)
    copyninja wrote:
    Yow Perictione, Dreamrider . thx for info dawg ill just do a experiment my self i guess ,on both. :)

*chuckles*

Now that's the wisest thing you can do, Copyninja.

It's a game; it's meant to be fun... not a headache! :)

- P.

• dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Re '...too involved, ya'know?'

I guess that's why we play it on a computer instead of with funny dice. ;-)

dreamrider