what do you think its the biggest different between TL & D

CinurCinur Posts: 12
edited March 2012 in TL2 General Discussions
yes, torchlight and diable are two different games in a lots ways.
but the biggest different to me is their graphic style.

what are you guys thought on this?

Comments

• carrierxcarrierx Posts: 493
    Graphic style is a big one. I have not played TL2 so I cant say anything about the gameplay. If its anything like TL1, it feels more natural and less disconnected than the D3 beta does. Time will tell.

The $20 price point is beginning to be really significant. Judging by the screenshots, I think you are getting a ton more than 1/3 of D3.
    I need to see Stanos
  • if its TL2 & D3 I would say biggest difference is TL2 does NOT require internet to play single player game
  • - OFFLINE play
    I want to be able to play without internet connection.

- No RMAH
    It's a loot game, real money mustn't be introduced in this kind of game otherwise there is less real reward of acquering an item when you know somebody will have it buying.Moreover I have the feeling that blizzard will "force us" to buy more and more things, services that they will slowly add month after months : just read daeity blog : stash size, experience gain potions, cosmetic changes, gold find radius...
    Blizzard wants to make as much money as possible and when you have played a game for years you are ready to spend more and more money on it.I fear Diablo 3 might become a kind of free-to-play with cash shop or pay-to-play...

-UPDATES and NERFS
    Building a strategy to minmaxing a character, skills, equipments without fear of constant updates and nerfs.
    I don't want to begin building a character and on month after the game is uptaded, skill power changed, new items introduced which render my current build worthless.

-MODS
    Of course if Torched is improved there will be a lot of awesome mod increasing game replayability years after the game is released
  • AeoxAeox Posts: 29
    laharl9999 wrote:
    - OFFLINE play

- No RMAH
    It's a loot game, real money mustn't be introduced in this kind of game otherwise there is less real reward of acquering an item when you know somebody will have it buying.Moreover I have the feeling that blizzard will "force us" to buy more and more things, services that they will slowly add month after months : just read daeity blog : stash size, experience gain potions, cosmetic changes, gold find radius...
    Blizzard wants to make as much money as possible and when you have played a game for years you are ready to spend more and more money on it.I fear Diablo 3 might become a kind of free-to-play with cash shop or pay-to-play...

-UPDATES and NERFS
    Building a strategy to minmaxing a character, skills, equipments without fear of constant updates and nerfs.
    I don't want to begin building a character and on month after the game is uptaded, skill power changed, new items introduced which render my current build worthless.

-MODS
    Of course if Torched is improved there will be a lot of awesome mod increasing game replayability years after the game is released

I understand points one and two as they are common fighting battles, however your 3rd and 4th points contradict eachother completely.

I dont think Diablo III will be anything like WoW with content updates, you can be sure of that. Secondly mods cause alot more change with the game compared to "developer updates" this is certain.
    This does not mean mods or bad or good, they are in a completely different ball park and are USER BASED. You can choose to use them if you want to, if not you can just play what you paid $20 for.
  • DocSunDocSun Posts: 126
    What makes it for me is the Offline and LAN modes. Perfect for time for myself and my buddies. That plus encouraging us to mod is always a nice thing to see, my buddies and I may end up over playing this more than D3.
    fs_overall.png
  • DerekffsDerekffs Posts: 383
    Aeox wrote:
    laharl9999 wrote:
    - OFFLINE play

- No RMAH

-UPDATES and NERFS

-MODS

I understand points one and two as they are common fighting battles, however your 3rd and 4th points contradict eachother completely.

I dont think Diablo III will be anything like WoW with content updates, you can be sure of that. Secondly mods cause alot more change with the game compared to "developer updates" this is certain.
    This does not mean mods or bad or good, they are in a completely different ball park and are USER BASED. You can choose to use them if you want to, if not you can just play what you paid $20 for.
    Wrong. A game like this with good mod tools and a mod community can make hundreds of classes and multiable new levels. On a hard mmo thats subscription that would be true, but on a arpg that will have around 100,000 modders, I think it will add more content. So far as single player, torchlight will be better then diablo 3. But for over the internet I think the secure economy will make diablo be funner.
  • Aeox wrote:

If you don't want to use mods you don't.
    I only use mods after completing the game and minmaxing exactly the characters and equipment as I planned.
    Contrary to updates and nerfs which are not chosen when you play an online game.
    My points doesn't contradict each others !
    TL2 will have patches to correct bugs or add small content but it will not be as sensible as in MMOs or as in Diablo 3.
  • AeoxAeox Posts: 29
    Derekffs wrote:
    Aeox wrote:
    laharl9999 wrote:
    - OFFLINE play

- No RMAH

-UPDATES and NERFS

-MODS

Wrong. A game like this with good mod tools and a mod community can make hundreds of classes and multiable new levels. On a hard mmo thats subscription that would be true, but on a arpg that will have around 100,000 modders, I think it will add more content. So far as single player, torchlight will be better then diablo 3. But for over the internet I think the secure economy will make diablo be funner.

This is exactly what I said why wrong?
  • ombraombra Posts: 1,008
    For me it is the speed, TL2 seems to be way more fast paced than D3 besides a lot of other differences.
    Former Forum Nicks
    Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
    Mythos: Sanguefreddo
  • Biggest diiference for me.......

One is developed by Runic, and one isn't.
  • Diablo 3 will have less hacking while Torchlight 2 will be full of it unless Runic can grab a couple of servers off Perfect World and make a closed battlenet like system.
  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    LegionXIII wrote:
    Diablo 3 will have less hacking while Torchlight 2 will be full of it unless Runic can grab a couple of servers off Perfect World...

This may be true; this may be untrue.

Personally, I intend on playing the game with folks I feel I can trust or stick to my own LAN. Hackers can try their best to upset this - much like hackers will inevitably tamper with and upset B.Net....

(I mean, really, hackers love challenges. They can't resist 'em any more than Americans can resist the allure of all you can eat buffets. And if they can break into a secure server at the Pentagon - as they're alleged to have over the years - d'ya think Blizzard's system will be that much more secure than that of my own? Again maybe, maybe not)

....But that's just a sad fact of the digital world. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances. Me, I'll happily admit my bias and suggest the biggest difference between 'Torchlight 2' and 'Diablo 3' will not be security, speed of play, "funnerness", developer-maintained real money auction houses, the ability to mod or not, and so on and so on. The biggest difference is that I'll be playing 'Torchlight 2' and not 'Diablo 3'.

Of course, the question becomes 'Why should you care what I play?' My answer is, you shouldn't. Nor should any one else.

Fact is, everyone has their preferences and their likes and dislikes. And that's all there is to that, you know? As for thinking one game is superior to another, that's simply a statement of preference... and so it's a discussion that can only be an exchange of views, not one that's winnable.

That said, I'm always interested to read the posts that are made in threads like this as the opinions of people are always interesting!

- P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • LegionXIII wrote:
    Diablo 3 will have less hacking while Torchlight 2 will be full of it unless Runic can grab a couple of servers off Perfect World and make a closed battlenet like system.
    Just to say there is now a way to dupe items in the Diablo 3 RMAH...
    Maybe this will be patched but you might also consider buying items a way of cheating in Diablo3...
  • Fun and Silliness.

Blizzard's made it abundantly clear that they'll be having none of that.
    ..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
    "Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
    "There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
  • turnipzturnipz Posts: 1,308
    Visuals: This one is pretty obvious, torchlight is a lot brighter, hopefully less resource intensive.

Less scripting: I think runics decided to do it classic arpg style, more time put into cool environments rather than scripted events, which I think most people find rather annoying and less immersible in the end. Look at duke nukem classic vs duke nukem forever, not exactly an improvement; much more controlling and predictable.

Widespread skills: Blizzard is leaning more towards micromanagement and balance it seems, we have timers put on everything, skills are capped to affect a smaller area, resources are limited. I think torchlight is doing away with this a lot and leaning towards fun rather than manufactured strategy, while I haven't played it yet from the videos it appears we will have a lot more action and a lot more fun wiping out hordes.
  • how long is D3 going to be any way i heard TL2 was going to be 30+ for one single play through. (not including new game plus)
  • MeVeMeVe Posts: 18
    coldbomber wrote:
    how long is D3 going to be any way i heard TL2 was going to be 30+ for one single play through. (not including new game plus)

Probably around the same but D3 will offer 4 level of difficult, so you have to complete the game 4 times and than hunt for gear.
    Reaching end-game with TL2 I guess will be faster.
    Lack of secure server ( atleast for character saves ) is the biggest disappoint I have on TL2, I'm going still to buy the game and play it but I'm sure at some point it will turn me off ( hoping runic change idea about it )
    sigpic60012_27.gif
  • QueenchQueench Posts: 256
    I think its just the biggest different is blizzard - runics/ if blizzard will make tl 2 now people will talk like tl2 is 100 times better then d3 not like now.
    Its like highly costing cars of just becouse its mercedes or bmw or just like high costing clothes from d&g gucci and others.
    psig541372581.png
  • WreakingHavocWreakingHavoc Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    There is alot of difference, they are actually completely different games.
    Comparison is pointless. Diablo 3 Guide
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,307 admin

Hmm...
    HXuF9.jpg
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • DerekffsDerekffs Posts: 383
    edited February 2012
    BrianW wrote:

Hmm...
    HXuF9.jpg
    Thought that too, but that first part is pretty accurately for a reply to this topic
  • AgerAger Posts: 76
    Perictione wrote:
    Personally, I intend on playing the game with folks I feel I can trust or stick to my own LAN.
    This. This, this, this. Thisthisthisthisthis.

I do not worry about hackers, since I don't intend on playing with people I don't know. That is, unless if Runic, for some obscure reason, doesn't include an option to play only with friends. And since they are aware of the problems caused by griefers, I highly doubt they wouldn't make it possible to play only with people you choose.
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    Torchlight2:
    -cartoony art style
    -low graphic
    -can work on really old comps
    -lan/single player (no dedicated servers)
    -full control of your character leveling (done manually)
    -cheap
    -can choose difficulty on beginning
    -moding

Diablo3:
    -less cartoony art style
    -better graphic
    -need a little stronger comp
    -only online (dedicated servers)
    -almost no control of your character leveling (done automatically)
    -not cheap
    -need to play to get to higher difficulty
    -no moding
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    $40
    I don't have a sig
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    automated wrote:
    Biggest diiference for me.......

One is developed by Runic, and one isn't.
    THIS^
    jamesL wrote:
    $40
    aaaaaaaand THIS^
    ItfooQF.png
  • ombraombra Posts: 1,008
    jamesL wrote:
    $40

:D , this will be 100% sure!
    Former Forum Nicks
    Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
    Mythos: Sanguefreddo
  • KukukuKukuku Posts: 257
    Cool pets, duh.

Have you seen that bulldog? :3
  • ThomasJThomasJ Posts: 618
    Mods and lan play are the biggest advantages TL2 has. Also having no RMAH in TL2 is a blessing in disguise.
  • vlervler Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    This thread asks what "you" (me) think is the biggest difference. Please be kind, I am not here to troll or put down or support either game, it is just my person opinion.

As someone who has played Diablo, Diablo 2 (and LoD), the Diablo 3 Beta, Torchlight, Hellgate: London, the Mythos Closed Beta, and has lurked these forums for a good little bit I feel like I should give my opinion. This is awkward because Diablo 2 is arguably one of my favorite games of all time, and as you can see I have been interested in pretty much anything Max Schaefer has ever done. Unfortunately I feel like this is just going to come down to big studio versus small studio which boils down to (in my opinion) "polish". I know that is vague, and I can only half-way clarify what I mean. Much of this is in my 'gut'. Before I go into this, let me say I will be buying both games, and think they will both be tons of fun.

Diablo 3 in its current form gives me the impression of a game that will just be fun as ****. I could go into all the things I like about it, and I could definitely list several grievances from my time in the beta, but it really boils down to feeling 'right'. The skill system impresses me and seems to have somehow gotten away from the old ARPG issue of having filler skills that have zero real utility. The graphical direction works, fighting (especially melee) feels visceral. Just, yeah, I don't want to sit here and harp on it because it will just detract from my message.

To contrast, Torchlight 2 has not really put out anything to make me a believer in the evolution of the series. The media on the new website shows two different UI's and neither one really impresses me, there seems to be virtually no information on the skills of the classes, I have no idea how itemization will go down, and again I am coming back to this gut feeling where I am just not totally impressed. Now to be totally fair, I have not seen Torchlight 2 in anywhere near the same amount of detail I have been able to see Diablo 3, but that is part of my problem (I am in no way attempting to subtly ask for a beta. Just pointing out the availability of information). I know Runic does a great job of talking to people on these forums, but the game itself still seems inaccessible to me and that is a little off-putting. I was genuinely expecting to be playing this game 2-3 months ago and the fact that it has slid into the new year with very little information on development progress really worries me. It seems like Torchlight 2 should have been done but they cant seem to get that polish they are seeking quite right. To reiterate one more time, this is just a feeling I get, and it is really all I can work with considering the lack of tangibles.

All that said, I would like to say again that I absolutely will buy Torchlight 2 and I fully expect to enjoy it. It does not look like a bad game at all. I just think if you want to lay it down side by side with something developed by Blizzard and funded by Activision, you are going to see a difference in the level of polish. As intangible as that may be.

Edit: I said "just' roughly 50 times for some reason. JUST FELT RIGHT I GUESS. Cut a few of those out.