Friday Update

1235»

Comments

  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    carrierx wrote:
    Its Friday night and we are huddled around our computers mashing F5 for a TL2 update. 8 )

    *chuckles quietly*

    And for your heroic efforts, this is your reward:

    We're no stranger to cons, but we've never been part of a comicon before... until now!

    We are excited to announce that some of the members of Runic Games, including Art Director Jason Beck, will be heading up a panel with some of our local developer friends at Emerald City Comicon here in Seattle.

    ECCC runs March 30th - April 1st and features guests such as Wil Wheaton, George Takei, Christopher Lloyd, Summer Glau, Kevin Smith, and more.

    We're honored to be a part of the northwest's biggest comicon, and will share more details on the panel as they are finalized. We hope to see you there!


    <mischievously> Yeah... looks like Goren has struck again: "You are unlucky" :)

    *thinks for a moment*

    But... you know what? It's all good fun. Even if this news release wasn't all that informative or relevant to the common interests and desires of the forum's community, it certainly is in Runic's long-term interest to do what it can to expand its market presence. And that's what this is all about: growing Runic sensibly so as to insure there's life beyond 'Torchlight 2'.

    In more practical terms, every day that passes brings the game that much closer to release. And as much as folks get tired of hearing this (I can totally sympathize with the desire to have the game right now), every day that passes means something else of interest has been added to 'Torchlight 2'.

    Now, I'm happy to admit I'm a fan of Runic's, and my reasoning is completely biased... but looking at the recently released screen shots, I can see how the game has evolved from August 2010 to February 2012, and I can only imagine the depth that Runic has added to this game within this period: more items, more quests, more tilesets, more scripting... more of everything.

    And that, I believe, is what is going to ultimately make this game a keeper - most games come and go, but certain games have lasting appeal because they're well-designed and have more to them than flash. 'Diablo', for example, continues to be eminently playable because of this whereas a game like 'Nox' (another isometric dungeon adventure that intially received good reviews) just fell off the edge of people's awareness as it didn't quite have Diablo's appeal.

    'Torchlight 2', I greatly suspect, will raise the standards that much higher, and push the limits that much further.

    It will be an extraordinary game.


    - P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

    Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • NavyPaulNavyPaul Posts: 74
    While I usually refrain from voicing my opinion on these subjects, I just gotta admit that the Friday Treat this week was certainly not giving me any itches down my trousers. Combine this with the statement by the lovely miss Russel that they are seriously considering adding DLC and this was not a good TL2 week for me.



    :ugeek: Just for the conspiracy theorists: How likely is it that they are using the delay to implement certain security measures in the system, in order to be able to create content that the mod-community is not allowed to make? (thus being able to force us to pay for DLC exclusive content)
  • IngmartinIngmartin Posts: 860
    All of that aside, Peri....and I while i agree with you that it will be a great game...this was a bummer in the info department, compared to the previous two Friday updates. Now if they had said "with a special announcement in store" while announcing the Comicon panel, then we would all be excited.

    This is just blah news. I know that publicity is critical and this will be a great venue to discuss their work, but that's the business side of things. It's important, but decidedly not flashy or riveting material, and does little to excite the fan base when it's an event only a few will be able to participate in.

    Their fans are globally situated, and since we only get one little tidbit a week from Runic as it is, usually less... this just seems overly anemic.

    But whatever. I'm just being boorish and a little too indignant considering Runic doesn't owe me a **** thing in the first place. I'm a fan having a momentarily difficult time coping with frustration and impatience.
    71da2ebb.png
    You left me standing in the aftermath of World War 8, Staring straight ahead at imposing gates, With a sign that read “Unsafe To Play”.
  • IngmartinIngmartin Posts: 860
    NavyPaul wrote:
    While I usually refrain from voicing my opinion on these subjects, I just gotta admit that the Friday Treat this week was certainly not giving me any itches down my trousers. Combine this with the statement by the lovely miss Russel that they are seriously considering adding DLC and this was not a good TL2 week for me.



    :ugeek: Just for the conspiracy theorists: How likely is it that they are using the delay to implement certain security measures in the system, in order to be able to create content that the mod-community is not allowed to make? (thus being able to force us to pay for DLC exclusive content)

    It's possible that they are working on multiple aspects of the game at the same time, including DLC restrictions for TorchEd, or security...but polish seems to be the biggest project at hand, as they continue to add, hone, balance and resolve bugs.

    I don't mind if they pursue downloadable content, and initially limit the Modders until they release it. It's their game, and if DLC is the way they intend to perfect their game and expand the experience, then that's cool. You know it will be professionally done and done in a way that adds massive additional enjoyment and options for Modders in the future. They love Modders, and would do little in the way of drastically reducing their creativity or tools.
    71da2ebb.png
    You left me standing in the aftermath of World War 8, Staring straight ahead at imposing gates, With a sign that read “Unsafe To Play”.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    NavyPaul wrote:


    :ugeek: Just for the conspiracy theorists: How likely is it that they are using the delay to implement certain security measures in the system, in order to be able to create content that the mod-community is not allowed to make? (thus being able to force us to pay for DLC exclusive content)

    Oh, come on now. Really? I'd think if they were the kind of company to do that sort of thing, they wouldn't be letting us mod the game at all. If they do DLC, it will most likely involve more than just new art assets, it will more than likely involve new story and quest content. Sure, new art assets could just be modded in but story and quest content isn't so easy to mod in. It would be easier for people to just buy the DLC.

    Personally, I prefer full expansions > DLC.

    I personally don't think they're working on DLC. I think they're working on the main game itself. I just happen to think it's a huge game (remember, Torchlight took 11 months and wasn't fully fleshed out. Each act is about the size of Torchlight, only fully fleshed out. They've been working on it long enough for it to be what it is going to be-a full size AAA game (for $20!!!). If they do DLC, it will be later, after the game comes out and once most of the bugfixing is done or at least most of it is finished and they're in a spot where they can decide where they want to go next.

    Remember that while Perfect World is letting them do what they please (at least for the moment) they still have a contract to do the MMO (at least, as far as we know) so don't count your chickens before they hatch (and the implication that they're coding in security features is silly considering they've been doing their best to use as little DRM as possible. I mean, really, you guys have been around long enough you should know these people better by now. Forcing us to pay for DLC? ....Really? Sheesh.)
    ItfooQF.png
  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    As for Runic adding official Downloadable Content (DLC), I'm all for it!

    The game, as released, will be complete... much like 'Diablo 2' was a complete game within itself. And then came along the expansion 'Lord of Destruction' that added another layer of completeness to the game. It wasn't required to play the original game, but it certainly added to the game's appeal. I greatly suspect something similar is in the works at Runic.

    Is this a reason to feel dismay? After that marketing debacle that's associated with Mass Effect 3 (and the unbelievable bait-and-switch spin that the publisher is trying to pass off as developer integrity) it's easy to adopt a cynical position and state all DLC is bad as it's nothing more than a ploy to bring in more money. But this is entirely unwarranted cynicism. I believe the folks at Runic know DLC is meant to enhance a game, not complete it; DLC is meant extend the possibilities, not to cap them off entirely. You can bet any DLC that Runic is adding will only contribute to the modding possibilities, not detract from 'em.

    Runic floating the notion of DLC should have fans jumping up and down in excited encouragement - it's an indication the folks at HQ are thinking about the long-term playability of 'Torchlight 2' and not just taking the money and running (as the owners of Bioware seem to be).

    As for feeling discouraged by this week's lack of informational ooomph - okay, that's fair... but I'm hoping you'll soon get over it, and place this news in it's proper context: the folks at Runic have been **** busy working on something that's important... more important (in their estimation) than spending 30 minutes preparing another short video or releasing more screenshots or a narrated game-play video.

    Now... you can take the attitude that this indicates they're entirely oblivious to (or spiteful of) the desires of the community and really have no idea what they're doing in terms of marketing their product... or... you can given 'em the benefit of the doubt and realize that it's been all hands on deck for the last year and a half, and in the last few months they've been working themselves to near exhaustion.

    Seeing the hours these guys are putting in, I think the latter is much, much more likely than the former. These guys are producing all that they're humanly capable of. And they're doing it for us. And how can we repay this effort? Well... commonsense suggests that it's a bit better to remain supportive of Runic's effects, knowing you'll benefit from this.

    It's fine to admit your disappointment, but it's against your own self interest, I feel, to allow this disappointment to cloud your judgement. If I were to offer anyone some entirely unsolicited advice, I'd suggest folks break out 'Torchlight' once again and give it a playthrough from scratch. And while you're playing, remind yourself pre-production of this game began around August 2008 with the release following in October 2009 (that's something like ten months production, starting from almost nothing... recovering from the collapse of 'Hellgate: London'). From this, they spent a lot of time porting the game into a console version, and then headed into 'Torchlight 2', hitting the ground running. That experience will show big time.

    I know everyone who frequents the forums will know this history as well as I do... but the fact is it's easy to miss the forest for the trees. What I'm hoping for is that people will constantly see the big picture, and will constantly remember this game will be worth the wait. To get discouraged at this point is... well, not to be unkind... but it's silly. You know? Silly.

    Nahhh... much better, I feel, to take a gander at the artwork for 'Torchlight 2' and play 'Torchlight' once again, and then see this for what it is: another step on the way to the summit of Everest! :)

    The game is coming, and it's going to be a great one!


    - P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

    Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    Zidders wrote:
    NavyPaul wrote:


    :ugeek: Just for the conspiracy theorists: How likely is it that they are using the delay to implement certain security measures in the system, in order to be able to create content that the mod-community is not allowed to make? (thus being able to force us to pay for DLC exclusive content)

    Oh, come on now. Really? I'd think if they were the kind of company to do that sort of thing, they wouldn't be letting us mod the game at all. If they do DLC, it will most likely involve more than just new art assets, it will more than likely involve new story and quest content. Sure, new art assets could just be modded in but story and quest content isn't so easy to mod in. It would be easier for people to just buy the DLC.

    Personally, I prefer full expansions > DLC.

    I personally don't think they're working on DLC. I think they're working on the main game itself. I just happen to think it's a huge game (remember, Torchlight took 11 months and wasn't fully fleshed out. Each act is about the size of Torchlight, only fully fleshed out. They've been working on it long enough for it to be what it is going to be-a full size AAA game (for $20!!!). If they do DLC, it will be later, after the game comes out and once most of the bugfixing is done or at least most of it is finished and they're in a spot where they can decide where they want to go next.

    Remember that while Perfect World is letting them do what they please (at least for the moment) they still have a contract to do the MMO (at least, as far as we know) so don't count your chickens before they hatch (and the implication that they're coding in security features is silly considering they've been doing their best to use as little DRM as possible. I mean, really, you guys have been around long enough you should know these people better by now. Forcing us to pay for DLC? ....Really? Sheesh.)

    I have to agree with Roo here - Runic is not one to stoop so low as to do this. I think any DLC (or expansion, or however you want to describe it) will likely include, above all else, a 5th character class with a brand new mesh/model. That's not something that (most) modders would be able to do, nor do as nicely bad-**** as Runic could. For that, I'd gladly shell out extra $$$ for it. We'd probably also get a few additional skills/abilities for the 4 original classes hard-coded into their trees as well. New campaign act, probably even private server support to serve as a bridge in developing their technology between TL2 and the future MMO.

    Take off the tinfoil hats! :lol:
    brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
    "If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
    WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide
  • PerictionePerictione Posts: 1,431
    *waving hands in the air excitedly*

    VANQUISHERS!

    YES! YES! YES!

    Bring 'em back! Bring 'em back! Bring 'em back!


    (this campaign ad brought to you courtesy of Vilderanis for a Better, Brighter Tomorrow that Includes Our Glorious Guys and Gals with Guns Who Are NOT Outlanders!)


    - P.
    I guess I'm gonna have to up and kill ya even if yer already dead, Zombie-boy

    Vanquishers: All our lines are busy at the moment, please hold the line and a customer service representative will be with you shortly...
  • RisingsunRisingsun Posts: 181
    I remember listening to a few of the Fansite Event podcasts, I'm not sure if it was the official one or diabo inc podcasts that mentioned this, but I remember hearing Travis Baldree mentioning that they planned on supporting the game post launch with patches and some free DLC updates rolled into patches. Like the team really wants to support the game post launch with content and fixes. I'm sure some one else remembers this too. If thats what they mean by DLC I'm sure we have very little to worry about.
  • tolokophtolokoph Posts: 25
    or am I missing something.

    oh, and release game pl0x ;)
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    globalist wrote:
    Is it just me or are the Friday updates getting lamer by the week?

    I mean what's next?

    *Devs will be having a luncheon with the board of investors on Apr 14th*?

    Where's some game-related updates?

    when did they ever promise they were going to give updates every friday ?
    I don't have a sig
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    jamesL wrote:
    globalist wrote:
    Is it just me or are the Friday updates getting lamer by the week?

    I mean what's next?

    *Devs will be having a luncheon with the board of investors on Apr 14th*?

    Where's some game-related updates?

    when did they ever promise they were going to give updates every friday ?

    Been there done that - see Hawkn's comment on the last page. We've moved on. ;)
    brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
    "If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
    WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    edited March 2012
    NavyPaul wrote:
    Just for the conspiracy theorists: How likely is it that they are using the delay to implement certain security measures in the system, in order to be able to create content that the mod-community is not allowed to make? (thus being able to force us to pay for DLC exclusive content)

    they've already said what they're working on
    they're on their 2nd pass of polish and are 1/2 through Act 2
    the artists are still creating new props and new monsters

    they are competing against D3, POE and even GW2
    so they want to release a really rock solid, fun, balanced game

    they have said many times that immediately following the release of TL2 they'll start working on the mac version
    after that ? they don't know what they'll do
    an expansion ? TL3 ? an xbox version ? the mmo ?

    and when did Wonder say they are seriously considering DLC ?
    http://twitter.com/#!/RunicGames/status ... 7746692096
    I don't have a sig
  • carrierxcarrierx Posts: 493
    Zidders wrote:
    carrierx wrote:

    Its Friday night and we are huddled around our computers mashing F5 for a TL2 update. 8 )
    by carrierx » SAT Mar 03, 2012 9:18 am
    orly?

    Was in reference to Per and our friday night wild life styles :D
    I need to see Stanos
  • jamesL wrote:
    when did they ever promise they were going to give updates every friday ?
    The fans (us) promised for them.

    And breaking a fan promise is almost as bad as breaking a Pinkie Promise.

    ;P
    ..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
    "Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
    "There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
  • ..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
    "Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
    "There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    If you had checked the recent threads, you would have seen viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22000

    They'll be at the Seattle comic con March 29th. They haven't given us an update because they're working on something super secret special and we would be upset if they stopped working on it just to futz around and do an update. Unofficially, I get the feeling they're getting ready for the beta, which i'm guessing (again, unofficially) they might announce at Comicon.

    Search/recent activity is your friend.
    ItfooQF.png
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    Yeah, it's easier to keep it to the already existing thread we have active - and no, aside from the website update with Comic-con, no other info yet. Stay tuned! :)
    brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
    "If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
    WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide
  • tolokophtolokoph Posts: 25
    ok, thought so Brixtan.

    yeah i seen all that zidders.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    tolokoph wrote:
    ok, thought so Brixtan.

    yeah i seen all that zidders.

    So why did you make a separate thread?
    ItfooQF.png
  • amb2010amb2010 Posts: 2,946
    jamesL wrote:
    when did they ever promise they were going to give updates every friday ?
    The fans (us) promised for them.

    And breaking a fan promise is almost as bad as breaking a Pinkie Promise.

    ;P

    Eek! Flee Runic. You wouldn't want the wrath of self entitled spoiled brats would you!?!?

    /releases pent up aggression
    luufx.png
    Disclaimer: Above berating does not apply to those with a brain (usually).
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    *Really wishes Webbstre would let him borrow the Grammar Hammer*
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • carrierxcarrierx Posts: 493
    amb2010 wrote:
    jamesL wrote:
    when did they ever promise they were going to give updates every friday ?
    The fans (us) promised for them.

    And breaking a fan promise is almost as bad as breaking a Pinkie Promise.

    ;P

    Eek! Flee Runic. You wouldn't want the wrath of self entitled spoiled brats would you!?!?

    /releases pent up aggression

    I wouldn't go that far. At least here its not diabloCHAN.
    I need to see Stanos
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    Brixtan wrote:
    Zidders wrote:
    NavyPaul wrote:


    :ugeek: Just for the conspiracy theorists: How likely is it that they are using the delay to implement certain security measures in the system, in order to be able to create content that the mod-community is not allowed to make? (thus being able to force us to pay for DLC exclusive content)

    Oh, come on now. Really? I'd think if they were the kind of company to do that sort of thing, they wouldn't be letting us mod the game at all. If they do DLC, it will most likely involve more than just new art assets, it will more than likely involve new story and quest content. Sure, new art assets could just be modded in but story and quest content isn't so easy to mod in. It would be easier for people to just buy the DLC.

    Personally, I prefer full expansions > DLC.

    I personally don't think they're working on DLC. I think they're working on the main game itself. I just happen to think it's a huge game (remember, Torchlight took 11 months and wasn't fully fleshed out. Each act is about the size of Torchlight, only fully fleshed out. They've been working on it long enough for it to be what it is going to be-a full size AAA game (for $20!!!). If they do DLC, it will be later, after the game comes out and once most of the bugfixing is done or at least most of it is finished and they're in a spot where they can decide where they want to go next.

    Remember that while Perfect World is letting them do what they please (at least for the moment) they still have a contract to do the MMO (at least, as far as we know) so don't count your chickens before they hatch (and the implication that they're coding in security features is silly considering they've been doing their best to use as little DRM as possible. I mean, really, you guys have been around long enough you should know these people better by now. Forcing us to pay for DLC? ....Really? Sheesh.)

    I have to agree with Roo here - Runic is not one to stoop so low as to do this. I think any DLC (or expansion, or however you want to describe it) will likely include, above all else, a 5th character class with a brand new mesh/model. That's not something that (most) modders would be able to do, nor do as nicely bad-**** as Runic could. For that, I'd gladly shell out extra $$$ for it. We'd probably also get a few additional skills/abilities for the 4 original classes hard-coded into their trees as well. New campaign act, probably even private server support to serve as a bridge in developing their technology between TL2 and the future MMO.

    Take off the tinfoil hats! :lol:

    Well, all they really would likely add are some new weapon/armor models, and a new class with new skins/animations. However, all of the classes in the game currently use the same male/female body model/mesh.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • tolokophtolokoph Posts: 25
    Zidders wrote:
    tolokoph wrote:
    ok, thought so Brixtan.

    yeah i seen all that zidders.

    So why did you make a separate thread?

    cause i felt like it, and to irritate you i guess, why?
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    I bet you have loads of friends in real life.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    ok, ok, let's not feed the trolls. Reported the thread and asked to have it merged. From now on, please try using search or checking the recent active topics in order to avoid needless repeat threads in order to make Runics job a bit easier? It's the least all of us can do in exchange for them making us a really awesome game for really cheap.
    ItfooQF.png
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    breaking a fan promise is almost as bad as breaking a Pinkie Promise.

    Cross your heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in your eye?
    3deb33ae-d304-4205-b645-5e770097edac.jpgmy-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-never-break-the-promise.png
    ItfooQF.png
  • cheeseheadscheeseheads Posts: 201
    gosh looks like i missed out on all the fun. This post had it all. Grammar police, hall monitors and trolls. Keep it up, loved it!!!
1235»
This discussion has been closed.