Torchlight 2 will have over 1400 unique items.

adoomgodadoomgod Posts: 4,270
edited February 16 in TL2 General Discussions
http://www.facebook.com/groups/322379452510/
source
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21834#p196484
Where I heard it from

So 2 things.

Runic, could you please tell me around what number of set AND unique items we are looking at now?
Does each one have a unique model? If not, can you give us an "off-the-top-of-my-head" number of how many do?
cuA6w.png
I put the "DOOM" in "****."
«1

Comments

  • Epic777Epic777 Posts: 37
    I hope they are really unique this time.
  • SaraSophiaSaraSophia Posts: 140
    but... How many set items? (Inquiring minds want to know)
    Current Commander of the Fellowship of Knights Errant.
  • SeerSeer Posts: 2,445
    Well I think there's no point throwing numbers like that around, as they all fit into the same category as Borderlands' a gazzillion guns blurb.


    Lets just say that there will be substantially larger number of items in TL2 than TL1.
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    I just hope the armor pieces look the same no matter what class equips them. That was an annoying feature in TL1 where an equipped item would show one mesh on the destroyer and an entirely different one on the alchemist.
    brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
    "If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
    WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide
  • adoomgodadoomgod Posts: 4,270
    Brixtan wrote:
    I just hope the armor pieces look the same no matter what class equips them. That was an annoying feature in TL1 where an equipped item would show one mesh on the destroyer and an entirely different one on the alchemist.

    They will.
    cuA6w.png
    I put the "DOOM" in "****."
  • VasshpitVasshpit Posts: 205
    Does that mean that they will not have any class specific armor?
    Learn as if you were going to live forever; Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    adoomgod wrote:
    Brixtan wrote:
    I just hope the armor pieces look the same no matter what class equips them. That was an annoying feature in TL1 where an equipped item would show one mesh on the destroyer and an entirely different one on the alchemist.

    They will.

    That's good news if it's confirmed. 1400 uniques is quite a mountain...I have no idea how one begins to itemize them all across the spectrum from level 1 to end-game. Hoping there are some painfully rare ones that are utter bad **** looking when equipped.
    brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
    "If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
    WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    I hope uniqs are done good, visually and with interesting bonuses. I would always choose quality over quantity
  • adoomgodadoomgod Posts: 4,270
    Vasshpit wrote:
    Does that mean that they will not have any class specific armor?

    There will be some class specific uniques. No armor or item less rare than unique will be class specific. The vast majority of uniques will be class specific.

    Am I clear? Ok:

    The only possible items that will be class specific will be unique/set rarity. And most of unique/set rarity items won't be class specific.
    cuA6w.png
    I put the "DOOM" in "****."
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    adoomgod wrote:
    Vasshpit wrote:
    Does that mean that they will not have any class specific armor?

    There will be some class specific uniques. No armor or item less rare than unique will be class specific. The vast majority of uniques will be class specific.

    Am I clear? Ok:

    The only possible items that will be class specific will be unique/set rarity. And most of unique/set rarity items won't be class specific.
    From what I gathered on one of the PAX video it came down to this-
    A lot of equipment(guessing mainly armor) can be used by anyone however there will be exceptions. Some of the obvious exceptions are weapons that are always unique to each class. For example, I doubt a Berserker will be able to use an Engineer's Wrench and an Engineer won't be able to use a Berserker's Claws. However there are 'common weapons' like axes and swords that both can use if their stats meet the requirements.
  • xanixani Posts: 583
    considering that engineer's wrench can be used as basically huge mace or hammer i don't see problems with zerker using it :D
    For uniques I'd rather have them "half-specific", like any class get bonus A and B but engineer get also X and Z because it's their "trade" weapon/armor/whatever and can use full potential of it
  • JamusTJamusT Posts: 67 ✭✭✭✭
    Graeystone wrote:
    adoomgod wrote:
    Vasshpit wrote:
    Does that mean that they will not have any class specific armor?

    There will be some class specific uniques. No armor or item less rare than unique will be class specific. The vast majority of uniques will be class specific.

    Am I clear? Ok:

    The only possible items that will be class specific will be unique/set rarity. And most of unique/set rarity items won't be class specific.
    From what I gathered on one of the PAX video it came down to this-
    A lot of equipment(guessing mainly armor) can be used by anyone however there will be exceptions. Some of the obvious exceptions are weapons that are always unique to each class. For example, I doubt a Berserker will be able to use an Engineer's Wrench and an Engineer won't be able to use a Berserker's Claws. However there are 'common weapons' like axes and swords that both can use if their stats meet the requirements.

    Any class can use any weapon.. There may be some weapons in a catagory itemized to be class specific due to modifiers, but in general we let you choose how you want to play your class. Certain weapons properties def work better with certain classes, and some classes have the occasional skill that requires a fairly broad weapon type ( I.e. Melee or 2h weapon, ranged etc..) but one of travs core tenets has always been freedom in this regard and I think it's one of the many unique things that makes our game so fun. Sword and board Mage? We got that... Shotgonne engineer sure why not... Wand zerker? Um... **** go for it ya nutter, can't wait to see you on the field. ;)
  • I would like to wear Falcor suit and dual wield Falcors.
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    I would like to wear Falcor suit and dual wield Falcors.
    And Falcor ember so I can socket my weapons with Falcor. And a Falcor fish so I can turn my Falcor pet into Falcor (again).
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

    Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

    Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    I think I can safely say I speak for Falcor here when I say that he probably dislikes the idea of a suit made of Falcor and he DEFINITELY doesn't like the idea of people trying to mess with his preexisting sockets or adding new ones.
    ItfooQF.png
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    Zidders wrote:
    I think I can safely say I speak for Falcor here when I say that he probably dislikes the idea of a suit made of Falcor and he DEFINITELY doesn't like the idea of people trying to mess with his preexisting sockets or adding new ones.
    1237811519_chuck-norris-approves.gif
  • TheLurkerTheLurker Posts: 331
    adoomgod wrote:
    Runic, could you please tell me around what number of set AND unique items we are looking at now?

    Does each one have a unique model? If not, can you give us an "off-the-top-of-my-head" number of how many do?

    Or......

    You can wait for the game release, find 'em while playing, and enjoy the feeling of surprise, wonder, and delight of discovering things for the first time on the fly, extemporaneously...and not obsess over every little detail - you know, like a normal person.



    But, wait...you're DOOOMY DOOM DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! :mrgreen:

    What was I thinkin'? :roll:
    JamusT wrote:
    ...but one of travs core tenets has always been freedom in this regard and I think it's one of the many unique things that makes our game so fun. Sword and board Mage? We got that... Shotgonne engineer sure why not... Wand zerker? Um... **** go for it ya nutter, can't wait to see you on the field. ;)

    +1 for using the phrase '****, go for it, ya nutter!"... and incorporating the cool, ultra-hip, dev-tastic ghetto-speak. 8-)

    -TL
    "If you are reading this...then you should probably be doing something else instead. Stop slacking off, and get back to work, ya lazy ****! Quit wasting your life by posting on some **** forum!" -Anonymous
  • I wonder how many of those 1400 are worth putting in the GIVE-YOURSELF-****-ITEMS™ mod.
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Too many in my opinion. To explain:

    (I don't care about low-level uniques. Those are temporary items that get used for awhile and then tossed. My concern is solely with items that might be considered "final" gear. For the remainer of this post, you can pretend that the low-level uniques just don't exist the the number "1400" is instead whatever the number of high-level uniques is.)

    When I get a unique drop, I want it to be a good drop. More specifically, I want it to be an absolutely perfect fit for at least one build. It doesn't necessarily have to be the perfect item for the build I'm currently using, but it should be perfect for something, even if it's a wand zerker.

    And there's where having 1400 unique items becomes a problem. There's simply not going to be enough builds for each of the items to have a place as the "perfect" item for at least one build. If we assume 8.66 item slots (hands counting as 1.66 because you might use a 2H, dual wield, or 1H+shield) and 20 active skills per class, and further assume that every active skill is capable of carrying a build based around it (which is an unrealistic overstatement), we come up with around 700 opportunities for an item to be the perfect item for a particular item slot on a particular build. Not nearly enough...

    The upshot of all this is that there's going to be a ton of junk unique items. Blah. A second consequence is going to be that getting the unique item you actually want is going to be next to impossible.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    Or you could friend people up and trade items with them. Pretty sure by the time a month has gone by, you'll have a chance at trading for whatever item you think you need. Or mod it in. Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as 'too many' in a loot driven game.
    ItfooQF.png
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    I really doubt there are 1400 unique models. That's a LOT of work.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • JamusTJamusT Posts: 67 ✭✭✭✭
    hawkn wrote:
    I really doubt there are 1400 unique models. That's a LOT of work.

    Haha I can put that to rest. This is itemization, not asset count. But like I've said before we have 20+ models for each weapon category. I can't recall off hand but I think we have roughly 12 categories.. So 12x20 for ease is 240 weapon models.. Now think 80+ armor sets with helm, shoulders, chest, pants, gloves, boots, and belt...so 7 there.. 80x7 is 560 if my math is right.. So right there you have 800+ art assets. You will have tons of variation in look and feel, and yes some of those weapons and armors only drop as uniques so there will be many items with a sense of visual badassery. Compare that to 12 armor models per class from the first on and you will start to get a sense of how much more we are bringing to the table this time. :) plus, I think the concept guys pushed the visual looks to another level far surpassing the first game.
  • laharl9999laharl9999 Posts: 237
    Really that is an amazing job.
    The more we learn about Torchlight 2 the more I feel it will be so much better and improved in every way compared to Torchlight 1 (more items, itemization, assets, monsters, environnements, new gameplay features and LOTS of active usefull skills, deeper mecanisms, redon enchanting system...).

    But about character customization, I know the question has already been asked, but maybe this changed.

    Will it be possible to mode a way to make transmogrification?
    This means that you can either :
    - swap the model between two items of the same type (between swords or between chest armor for example) keeping the enchantments and stats
    - copy an item but changing it's model and texure keeping its original stats.

    This could be done inside a pop up window from an enchanting town character for example.
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    80+ armor sets.. hope they are spread throughout the character levels in right way
    If there are too many armor sets in close character level range, you can end up with various parts of armor from different tiers. And if those look completely different, I hope player won't end up saying: 'This has much better armor, but I look like idiot wearing it'.
    Although with TL art style maybe it's not an issue.. (I just remembered my D2 times - paladin with mask.. sorry..)
  • pothbpothb Posts: 220
    My question ono this is..........

    How ... good, will it feel to find the uniques. I'm going to bring Diablo 2 up for a second. or a good part of Diablo 2, I found that finding uniques were an accomplishment, a blessing sort of, while in Torchlight, it was really a meh feeling for the most part.

    Do the uniques really feel like they are uniques? Like really different stats and looks that makes you go, wow this is cool instead of the meh feeling? Obviously, I might be the only one that felt that way for TL1, but it just didn't feel that great getting a unique.
  • I agree with Chthon in that my biggest concern is the quantity of end-game uniques. I'd hate to be running around in multi-player at level cap, looking at all the players I might encounter and seeing the same 2-3 sets per class all the time. That said, it really kills it for me when I play a loot game and reach the level cap and wonder what kind of awesome items I can aquire, only to find out of the ~7 endgame weapons for my weapon-class and ~5 armour sets, less than half them have stats I could ever desire.
    ..did I just say the same thing twice? imsorrylol :?
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭
    1400 is a nice amount.

    I know Zy-El mod for D2 has added at least a few thousand to D2 but then again Zy-El has everything in it including Carmen Electra.

    A lot of the uniques are quite close to each other since there is only so much things you can do to make them unique from each other.

    I preferred crafting or rares over uniques for the most part in D2. Runewords in 1.10 for the most part killed the items that could have sockets.

    I would love to see a crafting system to be merged with the enchantment system.

    To me it nice to have as many options to get good gear and I would prefer that rare items do have the chance to be the best item if it is very lucky on the rolls. It might be great if we had Rare Uniques that had some base stats but also some stats be randomly rolled.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • RobbyDRobbyD Posts: 53
    Will Runic have its own version of the Arreat Summit to show each set and each unique item, complete with bonuses, that can be found in the game?
    uTCXc.png
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    I am willing to bet my entire current hoard of TL1 Uniques and Ember (that's a lot, guys 'n gals) that premixedpie is already well into the design of Torchlight II Armory, awaiting only the release of the new editor package to complete.

    dreamrider
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    RobbyD wrote:
    Will Runic have its own version of the Arreat Summit to show each set and each unique item, complete with bonuses, that can be found in the game?
    Torchlight Armory-
    http://www.torchlightarmory.com/
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.