[Tutorial] Import MESH into 3DS MAX

Comments

• WHOOO, I didn't know more people wanted to take it in this direction, haven't checked this thread for a while and BOOOOOM it looking better and better, sadly I'm not as good as you guys, just on the static stuff that I build.

Although I am glad I started this out 8-) :mrgreen:

Keep it up guys

T.
    9757-albums2216-picture19549.png
    9757-albums2216-picture19984.png
  • graboigraboi Posts: 38
    Yeah, I sorta took what you started and ran with it!
    :) Thanks!

Graboi
    edited November 2009
    Hey kids,
    New Version new features, GET! :D
    here's the changelog.

-- ver 0.02 11-19-09 Graboi
    ---- added animation browser, double click animation name to set it to the active animation
    ---- base pose skeleton now loads with mesh
    ---- added default texture name guessing and attachment
    ---- added default resource path and resource path setting
    ---- fixed the animation interval being set to 0 when a skeleton with no animations is loaded
    ---- changed the way the root bone is recognized , no longer relies on the bone name (tarantula loads now!)

Probably new bugs too! Next version will incorporate the new .NET xml parser , Much faster and more robust.

http://rapidshare.com/files/309502844/ImportOgreXml_0.02.zip
    tlrollout.jpg
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    you should really publish this in the ogre forums
    I'm not sure where it should go but it sounds like this might be the appropriate place

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
    Artists & Content Creators
    The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.

this is a pretty awesome script you have written and I'm sure the people over there would really appreciate it
    I don't have a sig
  • hoodwinkedfoolhoodwinkedfool Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    Does anyone have a mirror? I haven't been able to download anything from rapidshare for like a week now for some reason. It just tells me I need to become a premium member.
    Edit: Thanks Grabboi!
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    Does anyone have a mirror? I haven't been able to download anything from rapidshare for like a week now for some reason. It just tells me I need to become a premium member.

read the fine print, it means that file is busy. try again later.
    I'll try to get it up on filefront and maybe somewhere else in a little bit.
    I am having a friend gin up a quick website with some forums for more centralized
    distribution and feedback for bugs and features and whatnot.
    update:
    here you go
    http://www.filefront.com/14961745/ImportOgreXml_0.02.zip

And here's the .NET based MESH importer also
    http://www.filefront.com/14963019/ImportOgreMeshDotNet.zip
  • TiptoeTiptoe Posts: 184
    Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

Graboi you are just incredible!
    Thanks Tiptoe :D

Just wait I've got more on the way!
  • Anyone know the max poly count I should stay in when modeling a character?

I am making some clothes and I don't want to go too high in poly count.
  • I don't think there any guidlines for this but you could use the importer and check some meshes to see what is possible, I think hero models are about 1.600 polys naked.

T.
    9757-albums2216-picture19549.png
    9757-albums2216-picture19984.png
  • Well while I was making my new vanquisher model I checked the polys and noticed it was around 4000!

The hair was taking over 2000 polys alone so I lower it so the total model was 3000 for now.

I guess after I am done with this model I will try to get it into the game and slowly up/ lower the poly count to it's maximum limit.

Too bad I cannot use the 55,000 poly model I have lol.
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    from runicfansiteforum by hamsandwich.
    This is adam ... I am the tech artist over here at runic. I end up putting in a lot of the game asset on the art side so I can probably give you some info on our format and restrictions.

Almost all of our textures our 512x 512 or 256 x 256 and even some 128 x 128. Most of the environment textures for the tileset are 256x 256 so that would probably be the way to go. We end up outputting the textures to dds format. There is a free plug for photoshop at:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/phot ... ugins.html

We can support full alpha (DXT5) and 1 bit alpha (DXT1). In many cases 1 bit is a better option as full alpha can have sorting problems depending on if a model with alpha has to render under them or over them. The best way if to just try it out in the editor when it gets released. You can always change it to 1 bit if full alpha doesn't work out.

I suggest that if you are going to make textures with alpha always store it in PSD format or some other lossless format like tiff or targa until you are ready to integrate them as dds in the game as dds has lossy compression. Also it is best to create an alpha dds from a texture that has a dedicated alpha channel in photoshop, not like png where the alpha is just stored with the color values (although we use superPNG format that allows a png to have dedicated alpha channel). This is needed so that you can paint the area that gets alpha out a color matching the rest of the texture and helps prevent a white pixel halo. Formats like regular png end up sampling white as the blending bg color between the alpha area and non alpha area creating a halo effect when converted to dds.

Here is a link to the superPNG plugin
    http://www.fnordware.com/superpng/

As for your second question it is a wee bit harder to answer. Since our levels are semi random the length of a level and the amount of props changes a bit. What we do is instead of aiming for a level polycount is we aim for each asset to hit a consistent level of detail in both model and texture across the game. Our main characters end up being higher than our props and our props usually end up a little higher than our tileset pieces for there size on screen. A main character might be around 1400 tris, a regular similar sized monster might be around 1000 tris, a props of about the size as a character might be around 300 - 600, and a whole wall tile might be only 100- 200. I know these seem a bit low but we are aiming at having a lot of monsters on screen plus we are looking to have computer specs that allow our game to be played by people that don't have the Rolls-Royce of computers :)
  • TiptoeTiptoe Posts: 184
    RyviusRan wrote:
    Well while I was making my new vanquisher model I checked the polys and noticed it was around 4000!

The hair was taking over 2000 polys alone so I lower it so the total model was 3000 for now.

That's not right. I've just checked the Vanquisher base model and she comes in at 1776 faces (not including the hair. The hair is 238 faces). The destoyer model (naked) comes in at 1366 faces.

Are you sure you only selected the mesh? Maybe you accidently included the bones :roll:.
  • Tiptoe wrote:
    RyviusRan wrote:
    Well while I was making my new vanquisher model I checked the polys and noticed it was around 4000!

That's not right. I've just checked the Vanquisher base model and she comes in at 1776 faces (not including the hair. The hair is 238 faces). The destoyer model (naked) comes in at 1366 faces.

Are you sure you only selected the mesh? Maybe you accidently included the bones :roll:.

No the poly count is for when I was already making my own vanquisher model. I am sure the models can handle at least 2500 poly models, some of the models with armor have 2400 polys.
  • thisbarbthisbarb Posts: 183
    RyviusRan wrote:
    Tiptoe wrote:
    RyviusRan wrote:

No the poly count is for when I was already making my own vanquisher model. I am sure the models can handle at least 2500 poly models, some of the models with armor have 2400 polys.

2400 polys means at least 4800 tris, assuming you have no n-gons. For a game of this caliber, that is a lot. You should work on reducing and optimizing your mesh by 25-50%. Which armor actually causes a mesh to get 800 more polys than a naked body? I want to check for myself. Also, you need to remember that they cull a lot of the unviewed polys, so you're not actually rendering 2500 polys when you're wearing armor.
  • thisbarb wrote:

2400 polys means at least 4800 tris, assuming you have no n-gons. For a game of this caliber, that is a lot. You should work on reducing and optimizing your mesh by 25-50%. Which armor actually causes a mesh to get 800 more polys than a naked body? I want to check for myself. Also, you need to remember that they cull a lot of the unviewed polys, so you're not actually rendering 2500 polys when you're wearing armor.

check the heavy plate armor for the vanquisher. Also it's hard to change the model and keep the poly count low.
  • RyviusRan wrote:

I guess after I am done with this model I will try to get it into the game and slowly up/ lower the poly count to it's maximum limit.

Too bad I cannot use the 55,000 poly model I have lol.

2000 polys for the hair?!? :shock: All you should need is a few planes properly placed with and opacity map, shouldn't take up more than 100 tris (it should be much less than that actually.)

I also recommend going by a tri-limit rather than a poly limit as every engine I know of reads in tris and it gives you a much better count to go by instead of using polys. The tri-count will always be higher than the poly count.
  • thisbarbthisbarb Posts: 183
    2000 polys for the hair?!? :shock: All you should need is a few planes properly placed with and opacity map, shouldn't take up more than 100 tris (it should be much less than that actually.)

I also recommend going by a tri-limit rather than a poly limit as every engine I know of reads in tris and it gives you a much better count to go by instead of using polys. The tri-count will always be higher than the poly count.

I agree. Although, nobody here is building for an mmorpg, where triangle efficiency is an absolute necessity, Torchlight uses efficient wireframes so that it can run on very very crappy computers.

Also, remember that rendering a boned+skinned mesh is more taxing on the computer than rendering a static mesh. In other words, a tri on an animated mesh will tax your performance more than a tri on a static mesh, such as a barrel or a house. It's probably acceptable to make an extravagant dungeon set 2000 tris, but its hard to justify making the hair of a character that same number, however.
  • thisbarb wrote:
    I agree. Although, nobody here is building for an mmorpg, where triangle efficiency is an absolute necessity, Torchlight uses efficient wireframes so that it can run on very very crappy computers.

I'm a little confused by your statement. Do you think I mean to model in triangles rather than quads? If so, that's not what I mean. Model in quads as much as you can, if have n-gons that can't be quaded up, make them tris.

All I was saying was instead of going by how many polys your counter says you have, go by the tris it displays.
    First version of my exporter is done check out the files here

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8363

Have fun!

Graboi
  • Gonna try this tommorrow or the next day. Really stoked to see some Max tools.

Just bought this game last weekend and it's awesome, love the artwork and the fact that they used Ogre. Been Creating content for Zero Gear that also uses Ogre. I love it!

Hopefully a tile set, some armor and weapons, maybe monsters too :)
  • s0kes0ke Posts: 19
    Does anyone have this file? I'm unable to get it from filefront or rapidshare.
  • ChrispyChrispy Posts: 19
    * EDIT:

My bad, had to also convert the .SKELETON to XML. I've hit yet another problem though - and yes I've read through this thread multiple times incase I missed something but a lot of stuff I don't understand.

I convert both the .MESH and .SKELETON of the Ratman to .XML formats, use Graboi's importer to import the Ratman.MESH.xml, and then import the Ratman.SKELETON.xml with it. I'd apply my new skin to the Ratman and then use Graboi's exporter to export the .MESH.XML. I'd use the OgreCommandTools to convert the MESH.XML back to .MESH and try in TorchED. But it's not exactly animating and it's oversized... I'm confused. :O

What I'm trying to do mainly is duplicate the Ratman and change his skin (and possibly very small model tweaks that won't affect the animation).
  • ryzkryzk Posts: 3
    hi,

everything worked finde for me,
    now i want to convert the *.xml file to a *.MESH again. but it didnt work
    C:\Program Files (x86)\OgreCommandLineTools>OgreXmlConverter -e alchemist.MESH.x
    ml

-- OPTIONS --
    source file      = alchemist.MESH.xml
    destination file = alchemist.MESH
    log file         = OgreXMLConverter.log
    interactive mode = false
    lod levels       = none (or use existing)
    Generate edge lists  = 0
    Generate tangents = 0
     semantic = TANGENT
     parity = 0
     split mirror = 0
     split rotated = 0
    Reorganise vertex buffers = 1
    Optimise animations = 1
    -- END OPTIONS --

Creating resource group General
    Creating resource group Internal
    Creating resource group Autodetect
    Registering ResourceManager for type Mesh
    Registering ResourceManager for type Material
    Registering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
    XMLMeshSerializer reading mesh data from alchemist.MESH.xml...
    Reading geometry...
    Geometry done...
    Reading submeshes...
    Submeshes done.
    XMLMeshSerializer import successful.
    Reorganising vertex buffers to automatic layout..
    MeshSerializer writing mesh data to alchemist.MESH...
    File header written.
    Writing mesh data...
    Writing submesh...
    Exporting submesh texture aliases...
    Submesh texture aliases exported.
    Submesh exported.
    Exporting bounds information....
    Bounds information exported.
    Exporting submesh name table...
    Submesh name table exported.
    Mesh data exported.
    MeshSerializer export successful.
    Unregistering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
    Unregistering ResourceManager for type Material
    Unregistering ResourceManager for type Mesh

seems to work, but the *.MESH file dont appear in the folder. anyone a clue?
  • Vrav wrote:
    We will be including our official MAX exporters
    Yessss.

... bit off topic for the thread, but been meaning to ask: will it be possible to download the editor without all the working-res artwork? I keep hearing "it's twice as big a download as the game" and honestly I don't know if I want the art again. I mean, can live with it, but yes. Guess it would be good reference.

You guys keep mentioning that the editor is "free" - does that mean people who don't buy the game can download it? So basically, the $20 was just for the campaign you guys made. Iiinteresting.

what use is the editor without the game engine itself to run your campaigns?
    Torched Templates:
    Map Merchant ; Random Talking NPC ;
    Rashnu's Tear Dungeon @ viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14861
    @ http://vrkmods.viviti.com/
  • DolkhatDolkhat Posts: 1
    Hi everybody! I found the EASIEST way for converting MESH files ;)

I use 3D Object Converter 4.418 by Zoltán Kárpáti for converting OGRE XML files to anyone of many editable 3D formats ;)
  • kitetsukitetsu Posts: 256
    Greetings, and kudos to all of you who worked together on this script. I got it running the lucky 3rd time after some initial confusion due to the lack of documentation and me not paying closer attention hurp durp.

The animation importer's doing pretty good too... The problem for me is: Is there a way to convert the .skeleton.xml animations into 3ds max .bip bipeds? Whenever I import the animations, the bones are those nondescript gray custom bones and not 3ds max's biped bones, and this is a problem for me due to the fact that I only know how to animate rigs using built-in bipeds instead of these custom bones.

Thus far, the only solution I can personally come up with is to re-rig the whole model from scratch, and this can take a long time if I don't spend my time wisely with the rigging. Any ideas?
  • TosykTosyk Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm very apriciated for work of graboi, TaylorMouse and CaSCaDe, but can you help me please, I can't use this script for other OGRE games, such as, for example, Venetica. I just get error, something with rotation.

p.s.: I could only find this script, so only help for you guys.
  • jch02140jch02140 Posts: 1
    Hi.

I tried to downloaded and install the OGREXMLConverter from the OGRE website but I couldn't seem to locate the executable in my computer. I am running Windows 7 64-bit. Is it the reason why it is not installed in my PC? I also tried to download the EXE and dll from the sourgeforge page few pages back but the website is giving me error and I am unable to download it? Can someone upload both the OGREXMLConverter executable and the dll file to MediaFire?

Greatly appreciated.