Official HotSpot 2.0 Thread

WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Mod Showcase
I figured it was time to retire the old thread for HotSpot, starting with this announcement. I just posted this on RGF, but we're starting development on a new version of HotSpot, that replaced the original's dependencies on the .NET framework, and should even end up working on Mac OS if we can manage it right.

Here's the link to the announcement post: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/conten ... t-2-0.html

Also, feel free to leave feedback, or suggestions on RGF or in this thread.
Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!

Comments

• WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭
    HotSpot 2.0 is now in Open Beta. More details here: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/conten ... -beta.html
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • GrandegearGrandegear Posts: 329
    Just to make this perfectly clear from the Gold Named Ones...
    Marsh wrote:
    People not using steam will need to use a 3rd party mod site or wait for a 3rd party client made for TL2. NOTE we put hooks In for a third party mod manager. Torchlight 1 had such a mod manager and we are hoping they make such a client for TL2.

:mrgreen:
    We're working on updates! We don't have the advantage that the Workshop had of having the devs working directly on it before release, so now we play catch-up. :P
  • FoldarFoldar Posts: 405
    Looking forward to it Webbstre - I sent you a message yesterday but you probably have a full folder :)
  • Trent44Trent44 Posts: 152
    I was just thinking how nice it was having this program for TL1. :)

How is the progress coming along?
    Torchlight has inspired me to make my very first mod ever...and then some.
    You can check them out here: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/member ... 51-trent44 just click on the downloads tab.
  • Would hate to revive an old thread but it appears this project is dead? I downloaded HotSpot 2 and it just gets "obliterated" trying to update, basically the executable disappears when one tries to run it (it happens in the update process) it just gets deleted.

The original HotSpot, is hardly possible to download by two of my browsers (Waterfox [no go at all] and Chrome [it let me only when I chose "Hurt me plenty"]) and I tried to install it but I am getting error-message galore, none of the decompressing programs (7-zip and Winrar) want to work with it. :cry:
    It's not completely dead.... I'm also surprised by what you're saying about the HotSpot 2, since I can get it to download and install on my machine. When the next version finally comes out, it will completely replace HotSpot 1, come with Torchlight 1 and 2 compatibility... but I have no idea when that is. Lots of things happened to the programmer (as always seems to be the case with community projects).
  • Thanks for letting me know this is not forgotten. HotSpot has once more been killed by my antivirus :(
    Basically Norton went into the zip that I managed to download and erased the executable "because it was a malicious trojan". Somehow this needs to be voiced into the Norton community.

I recall HotSpot 2 not working at all for me, I relied on HotSpot 100% and I am not going to go through all the trouble of setting an exception in my antivirus (if there is a way to do so, I have no clue) for a program that wasn't working for me when I tried it more than a year ago.

I guess I will have to wait a little more, and continue to add mods manually for now. :|

Edit: I do have a different computer this time and HotSpot 2 may work, but I would rather save myself the trouble.
    At least HotSpot 2 doesn't require all of those annoying .NET installations to work. The new one was coded to be able to installed anywhere with no prerequisites.
  • I will keep trying to see if I can get it working... I am running Windows 8, is there word of anyone who was able to run it in Win 8? So far, I've had no luck.
    I've honestly never talked to anyone who used Windows 8 before ;)

Hello all!

I'm Webbstre, the Administrator and former owner of Runic Games Fansite. I'm going around trying to find places where people (In this case, myself) have linked to or mentioned our previous mod manager tools and update the conversations with info about our latest mod manager, ModDrop!

We had a lot of trouble in the past with the people who worked on Torchleech, HotSpot, and HotSpot 2.0 all leaving mid-project, which I feel like kept us from properly competing with Steam's Workshop. However, not everyone uses Steam, and our new mod manager is pretty awesome, so if you found this thread years later via Google I hope you don't think the community is dead and the mods unsupported.

The mods are all still over at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com, where they've always been (so I hope this doesn't look like spam for posting it). If you have any questions hit me up at webbstre@runicgamesfansite.com and I'll do my best to answer promptly!