ability to link an item to a specific champion / boss

jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
edited June 2009 in General Modding
it would be nice if we could link an item to a specific monster , either through the PrEditor or through editing the text files
so if I create a monster names jamesL and I make that monster a boss, it would nice if I could also create a unique item, a ring for example, named JamesL's Ring Of Longevity (10% faaster HP recovery and +45 to life)
and then when the player kills the boss there is chance he'll drop the ring, so it'll be like a special trophy

so that means
the ability to create a monster that will show up only once (part of the definition of champion / boss)
the ability to create an item that will show up only once (a true unique)
the ability to have that item drop only from that monster, or as a reward for completing a specific quest (a true trophy)

it wouldn't have to drop every time, but it would be nice if we could set the chance to drop
the monster doesn't have to equip the item, just be able to drop it (though having the monster equip it might be interesting too, seeing the monster actually using "The Sword of Flaming Death" against me, then I kill him and take it from him)
I don't have a sig

Comments

• Oops I didn't read your post well enough the first time....

So you can almost do everything you mentioned. The only thing you can't do is the 1 unique weapon - ever.

With that said you could create a boss monster that drops it and if that boss monster never spawns again that weapon would in theory be unique.

Everything else you asked can be done. Currently we have champion trolls dropping unique weapons that they only can drop. We have plans for doing this with bosses too.

To do this we use what we call spawn classes. A monster will point to a given spawn class and that spawn class can as you imagine spawn pretty much anything.
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    ok, I think I understand
    I would create a spawn class
    and that spawn class would be the only spawn class containing my trophy items; then create a boss and point it to that spawn class, kill the boss, and maybe it'll drop the item.
    perfect !
    that's might be an interesting way to do a "unique" set;
    5 minor champions, each with their own spawn class, each spawn class containing only piece of the set, kill all 5 champions to complete the set (if you're lucky)

you guys are doing an awesome job !
    I don't have a sig
  • TrappskiTrappski Posts: 214
    Bebop wrote:
    To do this we use what we call spawn classes. A monster will point to a given spawn class and that spawn class can as you imagine spawn pretty much anything.
    This feels very object oriented. I like that.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue!
    Proud member of the Runic Games Fansite Staff!
    trappski.png
  • Luap26Luap26 Posts: 23
    thats a very cool idea and the mobs in question could be in secret randomized tunnels and rooms that you would have to try and find these hidden rooms to try and get parts of the set that I think would be pretty cool.
    "A little song, a little dance, batman's head on a lance."