Legal Issues

WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Modding
I mentioned that I would like to make a Diablo 1 mod on my site, but one thing has been bothering me for a while: if I made a mod that duplicated the music, town, dungeon, monsters, loot and story of Diablo 1, what legal problems would I have with Blizzard? Same goes for mods that duplicate other games. Would Runic do anything about it?
Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!

Comments

  • JiPiJiPi Posts: 146
    Webbstre wrote:
    I mentioned that I would like to make a Diablo 1 mod on my site, but one thing has been bothering me for a while: if I made a mod that duplicated the music, town, dungeon, monsters, loot and story of Diablo 1, what legal problems would I have with Blizzard? Same goes for mods that duplicate other games. Would Runic do anything about it?


    I think you would have problems with Blizzard. Look a bit about a sequel to Chrono Trigger developed by a fan community...Square-Enix shut them down...the developement after a couple of years was almost done...

    You should really think twice...you may work and get sued even if you distribute it for free...

    That said, that would be cool to play Diablo I and II with up to date graphics ! :)
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    JiPi wrote:
    That said, that would be cool to play Diablo I and II with up to date graphics ! :)

    Which is all I really want :-P Diablo 1 is so old now and missing so many features (running, the alt-key for items, etc etc etc) that it is hard to go back and play anymore.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • Webbstre wrote:
    I mentioned that I would like to make a Diablo 1 mod on my site, but one thing has been bothering me for a while: if I made a mod that duplicated the music, town, dungeon, monsters, loot and story of Diablo 1, what legal problems would I have with Blizzard? Same goes for mods that duplicate other games. Would Runic do anything about it?

    Look at OHRPGCE's Final Fantasy H or (more appropriately) NeverWinter Nights - Diablo: The Remake. Both are fan products based on the actual game but they aren't a full reproduction. Full reproductions tend to be frowned on and the people that do them Beat with sticks. Fan Products though , that only try and show you what the game could have been like (without copying the entire game) are more of a grey area and tend to do alright.
  • TrappskiTrappski Posts: 214
    Webbstre wrote:
    JiPi wrote:
    That said, that would be cool to play Diablo I and II with up to date graphics ! :)

    Which is all I really want :-P Diablo 1 is so old now and missing so many features (running, the alt-key for items, etc etc etc) that it is hard to go back and play anymore.
    Hellfire added higlight of items that you could pick up. And while back in town you had the ability to jog(Wich could possibly be one of the ugliest implemented features ever.) So it's there! :P
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue!
    Proud member of the Runic Games Fansite Staff!
    trappski.png
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    Trappski wrote:
    Webbstre wrote:
    JiPi wrote:
    That said, that would be cool to play Diablo I and II with up to date graphics ! :)

    Which is all I really want :-P Diablo 1 is so old now and missing so many features (running, the alt-key for items, etc etc etc) that it is hard to go back and play anymore.
    Hellfire added higlight of items that you could pick up. And while back in town you had the ability to jog(Wich could possibly be one of the ugliest implemented features ever.) So it's there! :P
    Well, Hellfire had its own load of problems too :-P Never going to forget the guy in the cow suit though.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    permaximum wrote:
    Edit: We really need fog of war. Travis said it's undecided currenly because of the look of environments. If Runic adds fog of war it will be easier for us.

    Yeah, the exploration aspect with Fog of War is nice, especially when it is done well and walls actually make a difference in how far your map shows.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • risingsonrisingson Posts: 47
    permaximum wrote:
    Webbstre wrote:
    JiPi wrote:
    That said, that would be cool to play Diablo I and II with up to date graphics ! :)

    Which is all I really want :-P Diablo 1 is so old now and missing so many features (running, the alt-key for items, etc etc etc) that it is hard to go back and play anymore.
    ,

    Man, even now i'm playing original Diablo on 24 inch full hd lcd with aspect ratio ofc. Also i can say that i'm still having fun playing it :) But i support your Diablo 1 mod with everything i got. Original Diablo with better graphics and better feautures rules 8-)

    BTW, a guy nicknamed Carbon14 in your site wants to make Diablo mod too as you know. And he's really skilled with art-texture-render. I think we should all help eachother to release a perfect Diablo mod :twisted:

    On topic, there won't be legal issues. They are already changing the lore of Diablo, it's art direction, gameplay mechanics etc. Why should they care about a loyal Diablo mod for Torchlight? Also Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer were the ones created Diablo along with David Brevik. Blizzard doesn't have rights to blame anyone for anygame's Diablo mod.

    Edit: We really need fog of war. Travis said it's undecided currenly because of the look of environments. If Runic adds fog of war it will be easier for us.

    what does OFC stand for? you can run diablo 1 widescreen with its poor resolution but atleast fix the aspect ratio? please tell me how, because i am trying to get into D1 on my 24".. but i dont know whats worse, losing part of my screen or stretching it out :?

    the resolution is the reason why i never go back and play diablo.
  • MackanMackan Posts: 56
    Someone should recreate Faxanadu for old NES, in a new glorious 3D world. ;) I guess some people remember that game.
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    Mackan wrote:
    Someone should recreate Faxanadu for old NES, in a new glorious 3D world. ;) I guess some people remember that game.

    Love that game.
    hereo.png
  • hadatihadati Posts: 83
    I felt so uber when I got the "tilt" spell. I played for hours to get the money to unlock all the endgame spells.
    Remember where you got those boots and flew up to fix that one fountain? That was awesome.
    Loved that game too.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.
  • BissrokBissrok Posts: 654
    Well, once you make the mod, it'd be hard to stop it from getting out. There's a lot of free upload sites out there. Plus, once one person gets it, it's sort of out of your hands if it gets passed around and uploaded by someone else. Obviously most of us here would support and want to play a mod like that so, even if you got a cease and desist and some forums delete your post, I think it'd be safe to assume that the work would live on.
Sign In or Register to comment.