Torchlight VS Dragon Age

LeStryfe79LeStryfe79 Posts: 73
edited September 2009 in General Modding
Since mods are a huge time sink, many people will inevitably choose one or the other with which to channel their creativity. On one hand, the Dragon Age tools seem more powerful, but on the other hand, Torchlight is more streamlined and offers a completely different take on the matter. I personally have a soft spot for Runic, but since WotC (owners of D&D) ****, I also want to see Bioware's rival IP do well. Needless to say, I'm a little torn on this subject. Hopefully, both toolsets will draw a lot of attention and further the popularity of user made content. I've actually thought for some time now that the next decade's claim to history would be "the homebrew". It's already begun, but presently I think this phenomenon is in its infancy compared to where it can ultimately go... Only time will tell.

Comments

• jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    yeah, I posted some info a couple of days over on one of the runic fansites
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/rgffor ... f=18&t=459

both games are coming out around the same time; Dragon Age has the same "party / strategy" thing Baldur's Gate and Dungeon Siege had. I never was any good at that. Dragon Age also has the open world to explore, which I think will be a big plus, and it also has character development that will affect the quests you get (as shown in the video I posted in that thread),
    but I think TorchLight will win in the speed and action, music and all around fun

I haven't seen a video of the Dragon Age mod tools
    have you seen the video of the TorchLight room creator ?
    http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fusea ... videoid=76 (played at 40 times normal speed)

are the Dragon Age tools really more powerful than that?
    if you have a video of them would you please post a link ?
    I don't have a sig
  • Dragon Age and Torchlight look like vastly different games to me, I think you should make mods for whichever one is more your style. The pace of gameplay is just really different, so I bet that will make the decicion for most people.

Dragon Age also appears to have a pretty complex rendering system compared to Torchlight. It looks great, but it will take more time to make art that fits into their world, and I would expect mods for that game to be larger scale projects. Personally, I would play both and then see which I felt like working on. |^)
  • MystiqueMystique Posts: 462
    Yea I really don't see Dragon Age and Torchlight being competition so the vs. thing is kinda silly. Mainly because of the play styles being completely different. I for 1 don't really like the style that Dragon Age is doing, which as jamesL said is similar to that of Dungeon Siege and Baulder's Gate.

I also haven't seen the toolset for Dragon Age, but have not been totally interested either. I might check out the game, but Torchlight is separate style and 1 that I prefer. But yea, if you got info on the toolset, please do link, if its more powerful than Torchlights, I would be interested in seeing it in action as I thought Torchlights was very powerful considering you can basically make your own standalone "campaign".
    Charmed & Dangerous
    Varrah.gif
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    Volbard wrote:
    Dragon Age and Torchlight look like vastly different games to me, I think you should make mods for whichever one is more your style. The pace of gameplay is just really different, so I bet that will make the decicion for most people.

Dragon Age also appears to have a pretty complex rendering system compared to Torchlight. It looks great, but it will take more time to make art that fits into their world, and I would expect mods for that game to be larger scale projects. Personally, I would play both and then see which I felt like working on. |^)

I agree, Dragon Age looks like a quite different play-style. While Torchlight's emphasis has shown to be dungeon-diving, loot-collecting, and overall action, Dragon Age has a very apparent emphasis on story-line, connections, and lore without sparing character development. I think I would prefer to work with Torchlight on the bases that models and textures are going to be much easier to do solo.

In concerns with the game itself, I'm personally looking forward to it. I grew up on Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. They were the RPGs to play. I may be a D&D geek, but I can't wait to see what they're managing in Dragon Age - specifically since it's they're own system. It's supposed to be a spiritual successor, they'll see what I have to say about that! Torchlight has a very rewarding aspect to its arcade-like action gameplay; However, Bioware RPGs are known more for their incredible depth, and I don't think this one is going to disappoint that much.
    hereo.png
  • TiptoeTiptoe Posts: 184
    I'm probably going to buy both games, but I'll buy Torchlight first and maybe wait 12 months (or at least until the price comes down) before I get Dragon Age.

There are a few reasons why Torchlight wins over Dragon Age in my opinion:

1. Cost. Dragon Age is selling for $90 here in Australia. Torchlight is going to sell for $20 (that's about $25 Aussie dollars for me :mrgreen: ).

2. Recommended PC specs. I'm positive Torchlight will run on my PC, but I'm not so sure if I can run Dragon Age (my PC is about 3 years old :cry: ).

3. Game style. Call me shallow if you like, but I liked Diablo's action gameplay much more than Baldur's Gate. I only ever played through Baldur's Gate once, I enjoyed it, but I didn't want to keep playing it. On the other hand, I played Diablo off and on for about 6 years.

To be honest, the only thing that attracts me to Dragon Age is its Toolset, if it didn't have a Toolset, then I probably wouldn't even be looking at it. Cause I really don't like turn based combat and micro-managing a party. Just gimme one character and simple, fast, realtime action and I'm happy :mrgreen:.

But as I said, I'll probably get both games. Cause it's nice to have a change of pace every now and then :roll:.
    Tiptoe wrote:
    I'm probably going to buy both games, but I'll buy Torchlight first and maybe wait 12 months (or at least until the price comes down) before I get Dragon Age.

There are a few reasons why Torchlight wins over Dragon Age in my opinion:

1. Cost. Dragon Age is selling for $90 here in Australia. Torchlight is going to sell for $20 (that's about $25 Aussie dollars for me :mrgreen: ).

2. Recommended PC specs. I'm positive Torchlight will run on my PC, but I'm not so sure if I can run Dragon Age (my PC is about 3 years old :cry: ).

3. Game style. Call me shallow if you like, but I liked Diablo's action gameplay much more than Baldur's Gate. I only ever played through Baldur's Gate once, I enjoyed it, but I didn't want to keep playing it. On the other hand, I played Diablo off and on for about 6 years.

To be honest, the only thing that attracts me to Dragon Age is its Toolset, if it didn't have a Toolset, then I probably wouldn't even be looking at it. Cause I really don't like turn based combat and micro-managing a party. Just gimme one character and simple, fast, realtime action and I'm happy :mrgreen:.

But as I said, I'll probably get both games. Cause it's nice to have a change of pace every now and then :roll:.

Ahaha, it's not shallow at all. The gameplay in those old games is very demanding of players. Resourcefulness, organization, and strategy can all be a big headache when you're controlling 4 or more character. The toolset is compelling, but what I desire from it is a nice high-fantasy setting with a deep and enthralling experience. It's a level of depth I can't come to expect from Torchlight after seeing Fate's lack of focus on storytelling, but I can expect from a Bioware IP. Both of them, together, should be able to satiate most the role-playing bones in my body - from advancing itemhoarding arcade-like action to buckets full of fantasy lore and style.
    hereo.png
  • TrappskiTrappski Posts: 214
    Definately not a good comparison. These games draw different crowds.
    While of course there will be those that will play both. Myself counted.

I'm sure both games will yield intresting mods

Depending on time and whatnot i will surely look into both games toolsets as well.
    Like Volbard points out as well Mods for DA will probably be projects on larger scale...

Would be cool if something like ALFA popped up for DA
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue!
    Proud member of the Runic Games Fansite Staff!
    trappski.png
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    I was reading Wonder's interview on the German PC Gamer and noticed on the side it said, 3 new videos for Dragon Age Origin

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,690840/Comic- ... /PC/Video/

whoa, this game is ****
    I don't have a sig
  • LeStryfe79LeStryfe79 Posts: 73
    Anyone here try and do mods for NWN2? **** that was clunky!
    LeStryfe79 wrote:

The first one's editor was decent and very user accessible, but incredibly limited by the game's engine. The sequel's engine was far more clunky from what I hear as well.
    hereo.png
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    I like both games, and will be buying both. But i'm going to buy DA for my xbox. That solves which game to mod. And i think Torch will be more fun to mod. I mean, i still have the halo 3 mod for fate installed. And i think with this game you can be more creative, and not have to be so realistic.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
  • RastlinRastlin Posts: 5
    Torchlight and Dragon Age are totally different and Iam looking forward to both of them, best of all i am look at how the moding tools will differ - should be ausome :)
  • LeStryfe79 wrote:

Thats because the second one wasn't made by Bioware, it was made by Obsidian and used a new engine based off of C# instead of C++ that bioware used to create the Aurora Engine.

Me personally I'm going to get both as I am interest in each of the games story and toolsets. Me being a wanna be game designer the toolsets draw my attention more than the game, but I'm sure both games are going to be very awesome.
  • hmmm, 2 totally different games here. not sure how we could compare these two games since both have completely different idea's in mind.

These are two games I would never compare to eachother.

I plan to play and mod both. I need the practice :P