Higher Resolution Textures Mod

XanderXander Posts: 410
edited July 2009 in General Modding
Would it be incredibly difficult (aside from required resources) to create higher resolution textures for all of Torchlight?

I'm actually curious how much the Torchlight engine can be... stressed, per-say.

Is the editor open enough that utilizing other graphical treatments such as extreme antialiasing (16xQA) to bloom/HDR effects are possible for modification as well, or is that too internal?
hereo.png

Comments

• WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    Travis said it was possible already. Apparently someone could technically increase the number of textures and polygons and stuff enough raise the system requirements :P

Travis' quote:
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/rgffor ... ures#p3510
    You can increase the texture resolution without any issues - for UI or models.
    The external layout files for the textures specify a basis resolution (1024x768, for instance ) for the textures used for UI, so you can upsample the UI and change the basis resolution.
    Heck, you could add shader support with the material files and require fancy shaders if you WANTED to.

You can replace all the models as well, with higher polycounts, or different meshes altogether.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    Cool, thank you.
    hereo.png
  • Texture size is more a matter of what can fit in your video card's memory, and how long it takes to swap images in and out of that memory. If you want to raise the video memory requirements, the textures can be much bigger. Of course, the camera is usually kind of far away from the texture in isometeric games, so it just gets mipped down anyway and doesn't look any different. |^)
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    Volbard wrote:
    Texture size is more a matter of what can fit in your video card's memory...
    I took my video card out and measured its memory; its about 1 1/2 by 2 inches;
    how many textures can I fit in that if each texture is 512 by 512 pixels ?
    I tried googling for a pixel to inch conversion but I couldn't find one; anybody know where I can download one ?
    please help
    I don't have a sig
  • NeedlehawkNeedlehawk Posts: 914 ✭✭
    jamesL wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    I tried googling for a pixel to inch conversion but I couldn't find one; anybody know where I can download one ?
    please help

AHAHAHAHA

Thanks, I needed the laugh today. :)
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    jamesL wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    please help

Let's all give Volbard a hard time! :D
    hereo.png
  • RobRob Posts: 163
    jamesL wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    please help

over 9000
  • jamesL wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    please help

depends on if you are compressing your textures...
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    jamesL wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    please help

depends on if you are compressing your textures...

mmm, I don't know how to do that,
    but I do know that heat makes things expand. So would it help if I put an electric heater near my graphics card ?
    Would that make the memory expand enough so I could fit more textures in it ?
    I don't have a sig
  • KempethKempeth Posts: 78
    jamesL wrote:
    Volbard wrote:
    please help

You have to open your textures and determine the dpi value for that ;-)