How to deal with Dark Zealots?

JekanlJekanl Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Destroyer Discussions
I'm on Very Hard, and these girls are without a doubt the most difficult I've fought as a Destroyer, as a Vanquisher as well but they're particularly troublesome as a Destroyer because he's melee and he actually needs to reach them to kill them.
Their red lightning is the worst, 1 hit of it and suddenly half my HP is gone, so it's particularly bad when I jump through a Phase Portal into the Black Palace and find like, 5-6 of these girls waiting for me,
I died so many times in there that after finishing a whole level and a boss fight afterwards I'm still 3K gold less than before I went in, and the Zealots are the ones most to blame.

So far the only thing I can think is putting more points in Armor, but that doesn't seem to have done much to help, since I already had 3 points in armor, but they were still hitting like trucks with that spell.

Comments

• ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    Honestly? I'd download the mod that fixes the Zealots' lightning. The problem with it is that the latest Torchlight patch messed with their lightning spell -- previously it wasn't doing any damage at all, and now it has a crit damage bonus of +150% or something like that. I think the mod bumps this down to +50%, which is much more reasonable.

Aside from that -- find armor with +resists for elemental damage types, enchant it and see if you can get more +resist, then add gems for more +resist. That and anything with +health. That's pretty much it.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • JekanlJekanl Posts: 7
    What's the mod called? Or is it part of another?
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • JekanlJekanl Posts: 7
    Thanks. :)
  • drachirdrachir Posts: 62
    I'm no expert, but i've found it useful to send in Pets and Skeletons/Flaming Swords to distract them
    'Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little' - Epicurus c260BC
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    They are quite fragile. If you can trip their position with pet Frost fans or some such, a few fast shots from a rifle or crossbow drops them. You may need to pull them one at a time first.

Medeas, now... (the big ones)
    (same approaches - just be prepared to run away between each of your 5-10 attack dashes. Also, Haste can help.)

dreamrider
  • I find stampede -> devastate takes them out. If I see them anywhere near or if they are casting during a fight I ignore everything else till I kill them all. They are a pain but just stampede to them and devastate and they are dead.
  • MiddlemoorMiddlemoor Posts: 261
    I'm having no problems with Dark Zealots. :)

Here's a vid of how it goes down...http://youtu.be/ZZwVhJHBimM
  • RemzRemz Posts: 7
    I had a hard time too until I learned Frost Shield, than is was alot easier to survive.
    Note that the grey gals do a sort of half-squat, with a brief green aura circle just before they cast either red lightning or poison bolts.

Also, if you run into an Enslaved cluster, assume that there is at least one DZ somewhere fairly close. There are exceptions, but too much caution just costs you a little time.

dreamrider
  • zekromzekrom Posts: 114
    Middlemoor wrote:

how the ****...

ok hard. not VHHC. and absorb dosent matter they shoot lightning and poison. 328-656 is physical armor.
    BTW, I just learned that, with clusters of 3+ Level 70 Dark Z's, an Elec Resist value of 1500 lets you survive <ahem> one shot.

<grin>

dreamrider
    1 shot from each of the 3 or 1 shot out of all of them?
    and is the problem with zealots only lightning? or poison too?
    You are reasonably protected from the poison bolts (maybe 2-3 shots, if that's most of what you are recieving) if you have 500-700 P-Res. The poison fan (5 ****) may catch you in the open, all hit you, and roll high and you are still in immediate trouble if not dead. But the lightnig shot is going to carve off a reliable 60-80% of my points unless it is blocked.

And that is one shot from any one of the tail chicks.

dreamrider
  • mrt1212mrt1212 Posts: 24
    What I've been doing

1. Frost Shield
    2. Shadow Armor
    3. Entropic Aura
    4. Plenty of Grand Health
    5. Heal Self
    6. Heal All

It works most the time but requires a lot of micromanagement.
    mrt1212 wrote:
    What I've been doing

1. Frost Shield
    2. Shadow Armor
    3. Entropic Aura
    4. Plenty of Grand Health
    5. Heal Self
    6. Heal All

It works most the time but requires a lot of micromanagement.
    if u put enough points in first 3 and have average amounts of resists, next 3 shoudnt be necessary.
  • mrt1212mrt1212 Posts: 24
    Yeah, you're right. I'm trying a silence entropic elemental protection level 70 and its working
  • rhallerhalle Posts: 9
    Remz wrote:
    I had a hard time too until I learned Frost Shield, than is was alot easier to survive.

I started a new Destroyer and saved up (and bought) all the electric MR I could find for when the time came. I had pretty good defense and over 600 electric ER at lvl 30ish.

A pack of Dark Zealots would still one-shot me no problem.

I respecced into Frost Shield and dropped all excess electric ER, which is still fairly high at 300.

Frost shield is a must-have.

I went from being flat broke and spending all my money on potions to facerolling Black Fortress using cheap pots. Just Frost Shield before the fight and Slash attack everything.

I only wish I had saved up some fire resist for the dragonkin and some frost damage items.
    rhalle wrote:
    Remz wrote:

I started a new Destroyer and saved up (and bought) all the electric MR I could find for when the time came. I had pretty good defense and over 600 electric ER at lvl 30ish.

A pack of Dark Zealots would still one-shot me no problem.

I respecced into Frost Shield and dropped all excess electric ER, which is still fairly high at 300.

Frost shield is a must-have.

I went from being flat broke and spending all my money on potions to facerolling Black Fortress using cheap pots. Just Frost Shield before the fight and Slash attack everything.

I only wish I had saved up some fire resist for the dragonkin and some frost damage items.
    exactly. because frost shield reduces dmg as a percentage unlike alchemist's ember shield. so it keeps scaling regardless of how many levels u go. u should have thought of it before doing all that ****.
  • zekrom wrote:
    Middlemoor wrote:

how the ****...

ok hard. not VHHC. and absorb dosent matter they shoot lightning and poison. 328-656 is physical armor.

They one shot people on hard. Also, my build uses resistance. Still, most people approach character building a certain way and thus there'll always be weaknesses, especially with enemies like DZs. I hope someone out there finds character builds that work that satisfy the more popular approaches.