PrEditor Questions

theBOBtheBOB Posts: 47
edited September 2009 in General Modding
Hello! I'm a Neverwinter Nights 1 and Unreal Tournament modder who is looking forward to the release of the toolset! After watching the TenTonHammer preview and looking over the Modding FAQ, I have a couple of questions.

1. During some of the interview, it looked like Travis was able to change the camera angle in the game. I know he spoke about keeping the camera at the isometric level for the single player game, but I'm guessing that in the Toolset will allow us to look through the camera in different shots. Part of my reasoning is the viewing angle of your screenshots, and I'm thinking there will be some form of track that the camera is on. Will we be able to control this for released mods?

The reason why I ask this question is that since Torchlight is an action-RPG, I'd like to involve the camera more in the creation of cutscenes. Even if its a simple way to resolve quests, the community could use this to enhance their storytelling or show a dynamic moment of cinema. I'm all about the massive loot and monster slaying, but I'd like to craft a tale of my own.

2. I've not researched Ogre3D much yet, but I'm wondering about importing animations and skeletons through custom characters. I've used Maya for the last 4 years or so, and I've come to understand the process of rigging a model. Will the toolset come with stock animations that we cannot touch? Or will we have the option to create custom actions, which will allow us to do specific emotes?

3. Factions! I know this was spoken about in another thread, but there was no clarification from the team yet. Factions allow us another way to work on storytelling, such as tribal warfare between the sneaky goblins or competing mining outfits that want you to mine their Ember veins. Everything that was stated in that thread, I agree with as well.

Cheers!
Al Swearengen: What's the matter — taken by a vision? You would not want to be staring like that at me.

Comments

• Hi, welcome to the community!

I don't know the answer to some of your questions, but here is some information to tide you over. Hopefully one of our coders will stop by with more details.

The camera perspective is currently fixed, in that it can't be rotated during gameplay. It's possible that we'll add a bit more control before release, but the dungeons are built to take advantage of the fixed camera so don't expect full rotation. When you zoom the camera in it swoops down for a different perspective, and when you pause the game the camera rotates around your character. It looks cool both ways, but the real meat of the game will be isometric. I don't know how much of this is moddable.

If you're creating your own quests, it is possible to tell the camera to move around and look at different characters or places. This is a great effect, but it does stay in isometric while moving around, so don't plan on panning the camera around an NPCs head while she thinks about how her father was abducted by aliens.

You can create your own animations, just like you can create your own models and textures. You'll need to know how to use some external tools to do that, character animations aren't done in Preditor. You'll be able to use Preditor to hook your custom models and animations up with the game, and add sounds and particles and that sort of thing.

I think you could do factions in the form of a choose your own adventure style quest line pretty easily. I'm not sure whether you will be able to set up something where you grind faction points and have npcs react to that, but that might not fit very well in a single player game anyway.

Again, welcome to the board and I'm looking forward to your mods!
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    here's some more stuff; some of it repeats what Volbard said. Some of these threads give detailed information about textures, number of polygons, ogre xml, meshes, photoshop, texture formats, alphas, PNGs

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=272

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/rgffor ... mera#p3593

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/rgffor ... mera#p3684

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18&p=186&hilit=angle#p198
    I don't have a sig
  • welcome theBOB :)

about your camera question.

As Volbard said, the camera zooms in on the player when the game is paused (this is handy when equipping new loot :D) but im curious....
    is it possible to set up so that the camera automatically zooms in when talking to an NPC, the zooms out automatically when the conversation is over?
    Sushi Helm Visual Fix - Forum - Download
    My Portfolio
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    I'm guessing yes
    Webbstre wrote:
    We have the answers back for our 10 interview questions with Runic! A big thanks to Wonder for helping to set this all up, to Marsh Lefler for answering all but one question, and Matt Uelmen for answering the question about his music!
    How exactly are the triggers in the editor like? What can we do with the Triggers? For Example can we make the NPC/PC move(a cutscene).
    (Omnifas)

Triggers in the editor function in a multitude of fashions. For example we have levers which if the player pulls can then trigger something to happen. We have player sphere's which are triggers - which when a player enters or exits can trigger something to happen.

A common trigger we have is called a "Unit Trigger". This is basically a unit that you can place in the world. We currently have a small puzzle involving three different levers( "Unit Triggers" ) that have to be pulled in the correct order to open a secret door.

As for the cut scenes. A camera control( with spline ) probably won't be put in. However the ability for the camera to change targets ( say look at a boss ) will probably be implemented in some fashion ( probably this week as a matter of fact ).

so I'm guessing the "look at a boss" was just an example, and we're actually able to change camera targets to npcs also
    I don't have a sig
  • TrappskiTrappski Posts: 214
    jamesL wrote:
    I'm guessing yes
    Webbstre wrote:
    We have the answers back for our 10 interview questions with Runic! A big thanks to Wonder for helping to set this all up, to Marsh Lefler for answering all but one question, and Matt Uelmen for answering the question about his music!
    How exactly are the triggers in the editor like? What can we do with the Triggers? For Example can we make the NPC/PC move(a cutscene).
    (Omnifas)

Triggers in the editor function in a multitude of fashions. For example we have levers which if the player pulls can then trigger something to happen. We have player sphere's which are triggers - which when a player enters or exits can trigger something to happen.

A common trigger we have is called a "Unit Trigger". This is basically a unit that you can place in the world. We currently have a small puzzle involving three different levers( "Unit Triggers" ) that have to be pulled in the correct order to open a secret door.

As for the cut scenes. A camera control( with spline ) probably won't be put in. However the ability for the camera to change targets ( say look at a boss ) will probably be implemented in some fashion ( probably this week as a matter of fact ).

so I'm guessing the "look at a boss" was just an example, and we're actually able to change camera targets to npcs also

I'd say a boss-character is an NPC so yes. And it would be odd if you could move the camera to enemy-mobs and not friendly NPC's.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue!
    Proud member of the Runic Games Fansite Staff!
    trappski.png
  • theBOBtheBOB Posts: 47
    Thanks for the welcome and answers, folks!

A follow up question I had was, if the camera will allow you to look at a NPC, will it allow you to look at objects or particles? Using the three lever example to open a secret door, what if the door was set in another part of the level. Upon solving the puzzle, could you move the camera to where the secret door is and show it opening?

If this is not possible, could you send text to the screen via the chat menu to say, "Deep in the caverns, a slight rumbling is heard." This could indicate that you solved the puzzle, you are not sure where the door you opened is. I'm just thinking of different ways to accomplish my modding goals.

Thanks!
    Al Swearengen: What's the matter — taken by a vision? You would not want to be staring like that at me.
  • Sure, you can place a node anywhere and have the camera look at that. |^)
  • so... in theory... even if we cant have spline paths for cameras, we can have a long series of nodes and move the camera along them? :P
    Sushi Helm Visual Fix - Forum - Download
    My Portfolio
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    I would assume that you could set a series of nodes and have the camera point to them in order. Effectivly showing the player the correct path to take inorder to reach their next goal or objective. I would think that simply putting a marker on the minimap would be a better approach though since a lot of the fun of the game will be exploring every nook and cranny. That's just my personal opinion though.

On the other hand if you just put a node at the door or whatever object is relevant in order to show that this passageway or object is now available to the player that would serve a good purpose too. I would use this if the player had to backtrack through some of the level to get to the objective.
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
  • Sabotender wrote:
    so... in theory... even if we cant have spline paths for cameras, we can have a long series of nodes and move the camera along them? :P

Smash TV Mod, here we come?
  • Another question -- is there any trigger for a *TIME*-based effect?

i.e., if I were to add a switch or a powerup (such as a Shrine, maybe), is there a way to make it respawn every 30 seconds, or 3 minutes, or whatever?
  • adamperinadamperin Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh hey theBOB!

So I will take a stab at answering the question 2. I am the tech artist for runic so I do a bit of the rigging (although many of us end up taking on this task). We use 3dsmax for all of our 3d work but there are many exporters for the orge format including a set for maya. You should be able to animate skinned models through maya and get them working fine. That being said all of our rigs are done in max so it might be difficult to get a new animation, for say the destroyer, to work with the existing animations done for him in max as the rig hierarchy would have to match perfectly which could be pretty difficult. Now adding a completely new model with an entirely new set of animations from maya is much more likely to work as it isnt relying on matching an existing skeleton done in 3dsmax. I would love to release our rig files for all of our 3 classes in the single player that way someone can easily add to the library of animation for a class through 3dsmax. Im not to sure if we will do this or not as we would be giving out raw asset files which can be little tricky. We will have to wait and see on this. Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have anymore question.
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Another question -- is there any trigger for a *TIME*-based effect?

i.e., if I were to add a switch or a powerup (such as a Shrine, maybe), is there a way to make it respawn every 30 seconds, or 3 minutes, or whatever?

yep.
  • And the death penalties, is there any way to make them not take effect in certain areas, or change them in areas?
  • JerichJerich Posts: 1,665
    theBOB wrote:

3. Factions! I know this was spoken about in another thread, but there was no clarification from the team yet. Factions allow us another way to work on storytelling, such as tribal warfare between the sneaky goblins or competing mining outfits that want you to mine their Ember veins. Everything that was stated in that thread, I agree with as well.

Cheers!

Travis showed me the quest editor at PAX and the quest system seemed fairly robust. Quests could have dependencies and it seemed like you could add logic that interacted with these dependencies. I bet you could rig together a faction approximation without much work if you were creative on how you made the dependencies and logic.

- Jerich
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    Oh hey theBOB!
    So I will take a stab at answering the question 2. I am the tech artist for runic so I do a bit of the rigging (although many of us end up taking on this task). We use 3dsmax for all of our 3d work but there are many exporters for the orge format including a set for maya. You should be able to animate skinned models through maya and get them working fine. That being said all of our rigs are done in max so it might be difficult to get a new animation, for say the destroyer, to work with the existing animations done for him in max as the rig hierarchy would have to match perfectly which could be pretty difficult. Now adding a completely new model with an entirely new set of animations from maya is much more likely to work as it isnt relying on matching an existing skeleton done in 3dsmax. I would love to release our rig files for all of our 3 classes in the single player that way someone can easily add to the library of animation for a class through 3dsmax. Im not to sure if we will do this or not as we would be giving out raw asset files which can be little tricky. We will have to wait and see on this. Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have anymore question.
    Isn't it enough if you will provide just some sketch with hierarchy of bones and their names ? (foot.L, shoulder.R, ...) And maybe names and number of animation positions if it is hardcoded. This way any 3D program can be used to create new animations (even Blender).