Beginning of my snow/icey tileset

NickityNickity Posts: 66
edited July 2011 in Art and Sound
Here's the first WIP texture for the first piece of what is to become my snow/ice tileset. Needs plenty of clean up and some more work, but it's getting there. Hopefully I can stop playing the game long enough to get stuff done!

wIceA.jpg

Comments

• SilverDSilverD Posts: 159
    Yes, this game definitely needs an ice tileset. Would be awesome to use in the endless dungeon rotation. Waiting patiently :-)
    Reality is what, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
    Failure is not an option. It is a privilege, reserved only for those who try.
  • MusketMusket Posts: 28
    Nice!
  • lorddaxlorddax Posts: 57
    Awesome artwork. Anychance we could eventually work something out to use your tileset in the TCC project? We want to showcase as many modders hard work as possible. We are still putting together an offical art team too if you are interested!
    Something useful will end up here soon.
  • NickityNickity Posts: 66
    lorddax wrote:
    Awesome artwork. Anychance we could eventually work something out to use your tileset in the TCC project? We want to showcase as many modders hard work as possible. We are still putting together an offical art team too if you are interested!

Anyone can use it for whatever. If you want it in TCC then by all means, I have no problem with that.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll be working diligently tonight to get more stuff done, hopefully I'll get at least a small texture set put together and a couple models done, granted my wife lets me ignore her all night :)
  • it looks good, it almost all fits together too
    Happy Hunting
  • NickityNickity Posts: 66
    Some quick progress. Threw together a few more textures really quick so I can get ideas out and refine later. Some are further along than others. Also a really quick model test to see how the shapes are workin out.

textures.jpg
    modeltest.jpg
  • volvoxvolvox Posts: 16
    Looks promising! I'll test it when you're done!
  • It would be awesome If someone could code in slippery ice patches and one way ice slides.
  • sigrethsigreth Posts: 62
    Nickity... We NEED you! Those are awesome looking and we have a group working on making a new story with organic levels and dynamic additions. Meaning we can continually update the mod without having to change what we already made. We could use your skills! If your interested check out http://torchlightcc.wikispaces.com/

~Sigreth
    ~ Sigreth
  • yeah this is nice
    torchlight can use a cold setting
    keep it up
    I Love Skeletons ! .............................................. I Love Skeletons !
    TL_Sig.jpg
    I Love Skeletons ! .............................................. I Love Skeletons !
  • albaalba Posts: 25
    That's the first thing that popped in my head when I was thinking the first custom tileset, recreating some of the icy caverns and snowy outdoors from diablo2. Keep up the good work man, looking fresh! :D
  • BissrokBissrok Posts: 654
    Looks great so far!

And the snow/ice environment in Mythos was by far my favorite. I always just loved the way it looked.
  • theguytheguy Posts: 39
    awesome, now to add to the level please make all monsters reindeer and little people and make a evil santa for the boss. lol
  • theguy wrote:
    awesome, now to add to the level please make all monsters reindeer and little people and make a evil santa for the boss. lol

Haha! Hopefully it'll be done by then and maybe I will....

Thanks for the kind words guys. I should have some more stuff to show in the next couple days.
  • AlpsAlps Posts: 12
    Ooh, this is looking cool. I'd like to see more hue variation in the shading, it would add a lot more depth. The first texture and the stairs are your strongest ones, keep it up :)
  • Yeah, I'm trying to find a good balance between colors. I'm trying to get in some greens and purples in some of the newer stuff I'm workin on, but we'll see how it goes. What'd be great is if I could get my hands on the brushes runic used for a lot of their textures...eh? eh?? ;)
  • AlpsAlps Posts: 12
    Heh, yeah. For this sort of stuff, I always stick with a normal round brush, 100% hardness with pressure sensitivity on the opacity. Spacing set to 0. I actually use a mouse at home, so all my texturing consists of a lot of manual brush opacity tweaks. :P (need to get a new tablet)
  • Alps wrote:
    Heh, yeah. For this sort of stuff, I always stick with a normal round brush, 100% hardness with pressure sensitivity on the opacity. Spacing set to 0. I actually use a mouse at home, so all my texturing consists of a lot of manual brush opacity tweaks. :P (need to get a new tablet)

Yeah I have a couple different brushes I use, one is kind of a textured rectangle I use for most of my work, spacing's 1% and about 50% flow. I can't imagine texturing with a mouse. I did that for a little while when my old tablet broke, and it about made me cry :)
  • You know what an enviornment like this calls for? Proper clothing. Someone should make a winter fur set of models that would fit along those lines that way someone could assign gear to match the level around the level they want to use the tile set.
  • What I expected: Textures showing the artist had no concept of keeping with the art style of the game.

What I got: HOLY ****, AWESOME TEXTURES.

Thumbs up, I plan on using these
    ~Benjamin Tomfoolery
    Website|Steam|XBL|PSN
    Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love, and a Hard Boiled Egg
  • What I expected: Textures showing the artist had no concept of keeping with the art style of the game.

What I got: HOLY ****, AWESOME TEXTURES.

Thumbs up, I plan on using these

haha, I'm not sure whether to feel flattered or sad that you had such low expectations :) Thanks!
  • Looks really nice from where I'm setting. Of course the ultimate test is seeing the finished tileset in the actual game. I'm personally a sucker for icy environments, so this project gets my thumbs up.
  • GnearGnear Posts: 17
    awesome work !

how do you make sure the edges in the texture blend into one another aside from a grid ? are there some tools / tutorials you can recommend ?
  • Gnear wrote:
    awesome work !

how do you make sure the edges in the texture blend into one another aside from a grid ? are there some tools / tutorials you can recommend ?

The best tool for this is the offset filter in Photoshop. you have to try to keep tiling in mind when painting the texture, but the only real way to make sure it tiles properly is to offset it vertically and horizontally, by half, then fix the seams manually.
    ~Benjamin Tomfoolery
    Website|Steam|XBL|PSN
    Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love, and a Hard Boiled Egg
  • GnearGnear Posts: 17
    Gnear wrote:
    awesome work !

The best tool for this is the offset filter in Photoshop. you have to try to keep tiling in mind when painting the texture, but the only real way to make sure it tiles properly is to offset it vertically and horizontally, by half, then fix the seams manually.

thanks you gave me the sign i needed with the offsetfilter - http://www.cadtutor.net/dd/photo/seamless/seamless.html#Intro i guess thats pretty much it
  • yep, just using offset in PS. When you've been painting textures for a long time though, it get pretty easy to keep them really close so you don't have as much clean up. practice practice practice!
  • another quick texture, been going back and cleaning up the other ones, trying to get more variation in color, while still keeping the theme working together. Had some greens going on in here, but for some reason they aren't coming across on my monitor at work, boo!!

fIceA2.jpg
  • Nice work! Really interested in seeing how this tileset turns out! :)
  • Very interesting work! It fits perfectly the art style of the game. Hoping to see even more interesing things. :p
  • DevDev Posts: 54
    Great work Nickity! You've hit the style spot on. Consider me a fan. :mrgreen: